Super80Fan
Topic Author

The Age of Social Media Posts and Employer/Boss Being Contacted - Thoughts?

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:13 am

With the age of social media, it is easier than ever to share our thoughts and make openly free posts with little moderation depending on the group/platform. With this of course, comes certain consequences. If someone makes a publicly available post that includes racism, sexism, bigotry, or illegal actions, then someone with time on their hands and a little tech savvy can find out where you work and send that comment/comments to your boss or HR. At that point, especially if there is enough attention towards it, your company will probably want to part ways with you to distance their brand with you.

Most will agree that's a fair response, but what about comments that don't fit into that category? What if you're in a regular argument with someone and they still think the reasonable action is to contact your employer? Why is that one of the first thoughts in some people's minds? I don't make racist/sexist/bigoted posts because those go against my moral/personal philosphies yet I had one guy with no life threaten to contact my employer because I made a post saying you made a choice moving/working in a certain state with bad weather. Why exactly does someone feel that is a reasonable reason to get someone fired?
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

anrec80

Re: The Age of Social Media Posts and Employer/Boss Being Contacted - Thoughts?

Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:37 am

Well - I have had a couple of unpleasant conversations with management about some of my LinkedIn posts, even though they were professional and neutral. After this I stopped using Facebook entirely and am very careful about what I do on LinkedIn. You can’t know what can come out anything you do on the site.

Even when friends ask me to like something - I say “sorry, no FB activity, personal policy”.

seb146

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:00 am

Some people feel they can get more for less if they threaten. It is not a good look on anyone. This was one reason I hated working in a call center. People would regularly demand full payment of their bill because they made a mistake but it was somehow my fault and they would get me fired if I didn't do what they wanted. Even working retail, people do that all the time. Some people just feel they are entitled for whatever reason.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

einsteinboricua

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:14 am

Some people are dicks. There's no dealing with them, and like trolls, you just learn to ignore them.

However, there are those who think they can say anything and everything without consequence, claiming free speech. Governments (federal and state) cannot prosecute you unless there's a threat in there; that does not extend to corporations who are held liable if the people making comments are linked to it.

In this age of social media, people have to accept that while your posts can reach a larger audience, there's more responsibility to make good use of it. Not only that, but people will find you no matter what so even hiding under anonymity won't help you much. And your associations become public knowledge as well. If we can immediately assume that someone who visits and posts ISIS material sympathizes with ISIS and could be a terrorist, it's only fair to extend the same courtesy to those who visit white supremacist sites or anti-Semitic sites. No company will want to be associated with you if that is public knowledge. It's not political correctness; it's a company protecting its image.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Aesma

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:26 am

I have a fb account I only use to look at other fb pages, I have not put up a photo or text or anything, and it's a fake name. I have a twitter account with a few responses to tweets, not in my name either.

I mainly posts on forums with a handle.

I don't speak a lot about my company, mainly because I don't want my pseudonymity to be lost, and I really don't have much to say about it anyway. If I had a problem with my company I would seek to join one of the unions. In itself a "dangerous" career move, depending on the union, but also a protection.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

910A

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:21 pm

Here in Arizona, there is a State Representative Kelly Townsend who is known to contact a employer of someone that would actually disagree with her..https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/po ... 239665001/

extender

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:25 pm

If anyone is offended by my social media posts, I will laugh my ass off.

Kiwirob

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:02 pm

This happened to me, I commented on a photo on facebook that I thought the 2 houses in the photo were an abomination, a blot on the landscape that should never have been built, the home's are 80's built Miami vice inspired piles of dung with gaudi neon and all the other trimmings, these homes replace a beautiful turn of the century villa and a mini golf course. One of the owners of the homes took exception to my post, found me on linked in and sent an email complaining about my online comments to the group VP. My boss had a good laugh about it and that was the end of it.

jdstJD

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
With the age of social media, it is easier than ever to share our thoughts and make openly free posts with little moderation depending on the group/platform. With this of course, comes certain consequences. If someone makes a publicly available post that includes racism, sexism, bigotry, or illegal actions, then someone with time on their hands and a little tech savvy can find out where you work and send that comment/comments to your boss or HR. At that point, especially if there is enough attention towards it, your company will probably want to part ways with you to distance their brand with you.

Most will agree that's a fair response, but what about comments that don't fit into that category? What if you're in a regular argument with someone and they still think the reasonable action is to contact your employer? Why is that one of the first thoughts in some people's minds? I don't make racist/sexist/bigoted posts because those go against my moral/personal philosphies yet I had one guy with no life threaten to contact my employer because I made a post saying you made a choice moving/working in a certain state with bad weather. Why exactly does someone feel that is a reasonable reason to get someone fired?

Well, many employers have a standard social media policy that prohibits certain types of activity which usually includes the categories you mentioned. They’ll generally add “or any other activity that poorly reflects upon or diminishes the reputation of the organization”. That’s obviously really broad and subjective and allows the employer to determine on a case by case basis what they find objectionable and, therefore, sanctionable conduct. I think some people try to take advantage of that and think that by threatening to jeopardize your job or career would be the ultimate way to punish you for whatever you said or did to them that they found offensive. They know they can’t get away with causing you physical harm and merely attacking you verbally likely won’t cut deeply enough to make you regret whatever it is you did so they think humiliating you through your job and possibly getting you fired will ruin your life and cause the ultimate suffering. Sad. If someone makes you THAT angry through social media that’s when you know it’s time to get off of it.
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:08 pm

jdstJD wrote:
That’s obviously really broad and subjective and allows the employer to determine on a case by case basis what they find objectionable and, therefore, sanctionable conduct.

Silver Linings, but is that still subject to the normal Discriminatory Actions rules? Where if, for example, they punish someone for a specific type of comment, they'd further have to do the same to anyone else in the future?
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

Aesma

Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:32 pm

To me the main thing is : is your personal social media account linked in any way to your employer ? Linkedin account, sure, but why would you mention your company on fb or twitter ?

Just don't do it, and unless you're someone important, I don't see how the company can use your personal life against you, without facing problems.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

seb146

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:27 pm

Aesma wrote:
To me the main thing is : is your personal social media account linked in any way to your employer ? Linkedin account, sure, but why would you mention your company on fb or twitter ?

Just don't do it, and unless you're someone important, I don't see how the company can use your personal life against you, without facing problems.

This is something the LGBTQ community is worried about if the current administration gets it's way. They want companies to fire people just for being. It is already legal in some states to discriminate based on LGBTQ. This is something we have been dealing with for too long.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

jdstJD

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:00 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
jdstJD wrote:
That’s obviously really broad and subjective and allows the employer to determine on a case by case basis what they find objectionable and, therefore, sanctionable conduct.

Silver Linings, but is that still subject to the normal Discriminatory Actions rules? Where if, for example, they punish someone for a specific type of comment, they'd further have to do the same to anyone else in the future?

Absolutely. If they take disciplinary action toward one employee for something they say violated their policy and not the same action toward another employee for the same conduct they’d better have a very good reason. One such reason may be the disciplined employee’s disciplinary record that may show that they’ve been warned previously or something like that but generally speaking, different treatment is a no no.
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.

Redd

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:58 pm

Unless someone commits a crime, I don't believe in messing with someone's livelihood. That's off-limits, or it should be anyways. It takes a really miserable and spiteful human being to want to ruin someone's career/income/life, no matter how big of an a$$hole they are.

StarAC17

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:42 pm

910A wrote:
Here in Arizona, there is a State Representative Kelly Townsend who is known to contact a employer of someone that would actually disagree with her..https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/po ... 239665001/

I'll take what is a snowflake for $2,000 Alex.

Aesma wrote:

Even if it not you are likely friends or followed by your co-workers and they might advertise who they work for.

Companies have, there has been instances where a teacher was fired for having a glass of wine on vacation.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ebook.html

Another teacher was fired when a picture of her Twerking was posted on social media went public.
http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/rt ... ring-break

I have been told by my boss to remove a comment about an alleged scandal for my employer even though I was defending my employer.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

cpd

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:57 pm

I don’t talk about my employer, simple as that. I also don’t do social media.

Aaron747

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:06 pm

Redd wrote:
Unless someone commits a crime, I don't believe in messing with someone's livelihood. That's off-limits, or it should be anyways. It takes a really miserable and spiteful human being to want to ruin someone's career/income/life, no matter how big of an a$$hole they are.

Agreed but companies have reputations too and do not want to be associated with controversial employees. We have a simple policy: don’t announce where you work or make it part of profile information on social media. There are plenty of other ways to network. It is standard practice in some HR departments to monitor social media employee penetration - just the times we’re in.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

zakuivcustom

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:45 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Agreed but companies have reputations too and do not want to be associated with controversial employees. We have a simple policy: don’t announce where you work or make it part of profile information on social media. There are plenty of other ways to network. It is standard practice in some HR departments to monitor social media employee penetration - just the times we’re in.

Even then there are things like doxxing. You can try to not make things like where you work part of your profile (I personally don't), but unless you use a totally fake name and completely hide everything, there are still ways for people to find out your personal information. Some people goes length just to have their "revenge" anyway.

Conclusion? Social Media is extremely toxic and definitely don't assume anything is truly private.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

Super80Fan
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:37 am

Aesma wrote:

Yeah I guess this is the real answer. I don't make my employment public knowledge and while I haven't had "top/middle management" positions, my employers never made my job public knowledge either so I rest easy that way.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

KFTG

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:12 am

Keep your Facebook account on lock, don't have thousands of friends. I personally have less than 25 "friends" on Facebook, the majority of whom are family.
LinkedIn is a joke of a website, and has little to no value. I deleted mine long ago.
As for Twitter, tweet all you want - just don't put your real name!

DL717

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:43 pm

Remember when people used to go home from work, and if you weren’t actually at home your employer couldn’t get in touch with you at all? In fact, no one could.

No wonder society is so angry these days.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

FatCat

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:31 pm

DL717 wrote:
Remember when people used to go home from work, and if you weren’t actually at home your employer couldn’t get in touch with you at all? In fact, no one could.

No wonder society is so angry these days.

This is what I do.
I leave the company's cell phone in the office - thus making it worthless - because if I'm not in the office, I'm not paid, and if I'm not paid, I don't work.
Company Owner complains that the company cell phone should be used for emergencies - I haven't seen accounting emergencies in my whole life. I simply answer, if you want me to work overtime, you'll pay me overtime money. They will not, so I'm not doing it.
Social media: I discontinued my real name's account on facebook shortly after being hired. I am on facebook now, but with an alias and without any colleague as a friend. Also, I don't allow "tags" on photos or events or whatsoever. On Linkedin, I have a Company Profile, that is made by our Marketing Manager, taken care by me, that means, I open it once a month, delete the notifications, and close it up. On Instagram, I use an alias, and have no colleagues as follower, and the profile's private.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right