ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Possibility of Chrysler Building Observation Deck Reopening

Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:32 am

Here is a link to an article from this past April about the possibility of the 71st floor observation deck of the Chrysler Building in New York City reopening under it's new owners. What are your thoughts about that happening considering that the deck has been closed to the public since 1945.
https://www.6sqft.com/aby-rosen-says-he ... -building/

TSS

Re: Possibility of Chrysler Building Observation Deck Reopening

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:29 am

As detailed in the story, the problem with re-opening the observation deck and the original Cloud Room restaurant is that the spaces where both were located are currently occupied by some of the building's apparently few remaining paying tenants. I'm all for renovating and revitalizing the building as I've always thought it was much more interesting and significant architecturally than it's rival The Empire State Building, but with it going for the near-giveaway price (by NYC real estate standards) of $150,000,000 I've got to wonder just how much of the building is in desperate need of heavy maintenance and repair and how much more it'll cost to get all of it into some kind of livable condition.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:37 pm

The proposal to Inc!use a hotel in the Chrysler Building has been dropped and the building will remain purely an office building like the Empire State Building.

TSS

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:50 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The proposal to include a hotel in the Chrysler Building has been dropped and the building will remain purely an office building like the Empire State Building.

Yeah, I thought that sounded like an iffy proposal to begin with. The problem with projects like that is usually window size and spacing: Older office building windows are smaller than hotel windows and usually somewhat closer together, so a room with one window is so tiny it can only hold one bed but a room with two windows winds up having lots of space where it isn't useful.

Maybe they can divide some of the floors into premium apartments instead?

TTailedTiger

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:13 pm

TSS wrote:
As detailed in the story, the problem with re-opening the observation deck and the original Cloud Room restaurant is that the spaces where both were located are currently occupied by some of the building's apparently few remaining paying tenants. I'm all for renovating and revitalizing the building as I've always thought it was much more interesting and significant architecturally than it's rival The Empire State Building, but with it going for the near-giveaway price (by NYC real estate standards) of $150,000,000 I've got to wonder just how much of the building is in desperate need of heavy maintenance and repair and how much more it'll cost to get all of it into some kind of livable condition.

Few remaining paying tenants? Are the other floors empty?

TSS

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:21 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
TSS wrote:

Few remaining paying tenants? Are the other floors empty?

The linked article mentions "400,000 square feet of unused space", so I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near capacity.

New Yorkers- Is the area around The Chrysler Building and Grand Central Station a desirable area to live in or not so much?

Tugger

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:59 pm

Well you made me have to go look and see about the Chrysler Bldg.... Found this interesting article/blog:
https://narratively.com/prohibited-panoramas/

I like its suggestion that you can open a new observation deck and not just stick with the old one. Still mentions that the building is very under-utilized, very empty. And this pic caught my eye:

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:23 am

TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
The proposal to include a hotel in the Chrysler Building has been dropped and the building will remain purely an office building like the Empire State Building.

Yeah, I thought that sounded like an iffy proposal to begin with. The problem with projects like that is usually window size and spacing: Older office building windows are smaller than hotel windows and usually somewhat closer together, so a room with one window is so tiny it can only hold one bed but a room with two windows winds up having lots of space where it isn't useful.

Apartments are not part of the proposal under the new owners.

TSS

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:13 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Apartments are not part of the proposal under the new owners.

Apartments were just a suggestion by a non-involved and only mildly interested third party, me, since the plans for a hotel fell through.

I want to know why such a beautiful and historic building is sitting there grossly underutilized if not actually empty. Premium rent prices for bare-bones amenities compared with the umpteen other, newer, skyscraper office buildings in the immediate vicinity? Or, as I submitted earlier, is the low selling price an indicator that the building is in dire need of major maintenance, repair, and upgrade? Perhaps a combination of the two?

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:26 am

The Empire State Building, which opened a year after the Chrysler Building has full occupancy today, even though it was half empty during the Great Depression and is almost the same age as the Chrysler Building.

TSS

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:31 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Empire State Building, which opened a year after the Chrysler Building has full occupancy today, even though it was half empty during the Great Depression and is almost the same age as the Chrysler Building.

True, but The Empire State Building is world-famous for having been the tallest building in the world for many years plus it's located on a major thoroughfare, 34th st., whereas most people know little or nothing about The Chrysler Building unless they're either architecture buffs or New Yorkers.

For example, a friend of mine watched Men In Black III and one of his major criticisms was the "unbelievability and over-decoration of the fake skyscraper" that Will Smith's character jumped off of. He refused to believe that was (probably a very good studio/CGI recreation of) a genuine, real building in NYC, stainless steel eagles and all, until I showed him pics of it.

Kiwirob

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:54 pm

@TSS I’ve always known about the Chrysler Building, even when I was a kid in far far away NZ, anyone who has heard of New York should know of it.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:58 pm

This is, or was, a dentist working at upper floors.

http://www.towerdentalsuites.com/about.html

seat64k

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:05 pm

One of my favourite buildings in the world. I used to not like it at all - the way light reflects in the metal doesn't look good in pictures. But once I saw it in real life, everything changed.

TSS wrote:
I want to know why such a beautiful and historic building is sitting there grossly underutilized if not actually empty. Premium rent prices for bare-bones amenities compared with the umpteen other, newer, skyscraper office buildings in the immediate vicinity? Or, as I submitted earlier, is the low selling price an indicator that the building is in dire need of major maintenance, repair, and upgrade? Perhaps a combination of the two?

I'm also curious about this.

TSS

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:24 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
@TSS I’ve always known about the Chrysler Building, even when I was a kid in far far away NZ, anyone who has heard of New York should know of it.

Yes, but as we say around here you ain't "most people". How many times a day in real life do you mention something, or consider doing so, only to realize that no-one around you has the slightest idea what you're talking about?

johns624

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:41 pm

I figured out the OP's ulterior motive. If the Chrysler Building's observation deck opened, that would dilute the market for the ESB's deck, causing them to reduce admission fees, so that he could go there more often... :)

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:10 am

How popular of a tourist attraction would the observation deck of the Chrysler Building be.

stl07

Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:23 am

johns624 wrote:
I figured out the OP's ulterior motive. If the Chrysler Building's observation deck opened, that would dilute the market for the ESB's deck, causing them to reduce admission fees, so that he could go there more often... :)

:rotfl:
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

TSS

Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:31 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
How popular of a tourist attraction would the observation deck of the Chrysler Building be?

I doubt it will be a tourist attraction in and of itself, as in someone far away saying 'I've just got to get to New York City so I can visit the observation deck at The Chrysler Building!". Will it be added to the touristy itineraries of people already visiting NYC for other reasons, possibly so depending on what else The Chrysler Building has to offer. Since it is very close to Grand Central Station, it might have a slightly better than average chance of being visited.

Realistically, observation decks of any type have limited appeal. Once you've looked around and said "Wow, we're really high up!", "Oh look, there's (insert landmark here)!", and "Hey, there's New Jersey!", you've pretty much covered all the entertainment possibilities an observation deck in NYC has to offer.

Super80Fan

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:34 am

Who currently owns the Chrysler Building? File a lawsuit against them for discrimination.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

casinterest

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:45 am

Jeez there are already enough observation decks in NYC. why do we need another? Rockefeller , Freedom Tower, Empire......
Where ever you go, there you are.

TSS

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:19 am

Super80Fan wrote:
Who currently owns the Chrysler Building?

According to the linked story in the original post, it was just bought for 150 million dollars by a guy named Aby Rosen.

Super80Fan wrote:
File a lawsuit against them for discrimination.

Discrimination against whom?

Super80Fan

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:06 am

casinterest wrote:
Jeez there are already enough observation decks in NYC. why do we need another? Rockefeller , Freedom Tower, Empire......

Oh, I didn't realize you were the deciding factor.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

casinterest

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Oh, I didn't realize you were the deciding factor.

I didn't make a decision. I asked a question.
Where ever you go, there you are.

ltbewr

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:56 pm

From 1994 to 2006, I worked for a law firm located in the upper 20's and mid-40's floors of the Pan Am/Met Life/200 Park Ave. Building where from the east side could seen great view of the upper floors of the Chrysler Building. Some building owners are trying to recoup some of their costs figuring that between the location, height, and in this case the distinctive architectural details of this building (inside, outside, even the inside of the elevator cars) it will attract visitors, be more profitable than as offices.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:06 pm

casinterest wrote:

Back in 1939, New York City has between 7-10 observation decks for the public to look out over the city.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:07 pm

casinterest wrote:

Back in 1939, New York City has between 7-10 observation decks for the public to look out over the city.

johns624

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:16 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Back in 1939, Americans were more impressed with NYC than they are nowadays. It was, by far, the #1 American city...not so much anymore. It was the largest, had all the financial institutions and a lot of the entertainment industry.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:50 am

Global cities like Tokyo, Paris, London, and Hong Kong still have like 7-10 observation decks in each city respectively.

Revelation

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:21 pm

johns624 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Back in 1939, Americans were more impressed with NYC than they are nowadays. It was, by far, the #1 American city...not so much anymore. It was the largest, had all the financial institutions and a lot of the entertainment industry.

Yep, and consider till the 70s or so suburban shopping malls didn't exist. Department stores did, but to do serious shopping one just had to go to NYC.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

einsteinboricua

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:35 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Global cities like Tokyo, Paris, London, and Hong Kong still have like 7-10 observation decks in each city respectively.

London and Tokyo have a much larger population than New York. Hong Kong is effectively a city state.

Paris is the outlier, being smaller than all of these. What Paris has going for it is that everyone will want to see where the Eiffel Tower is and see the surrounding area. Go to the Eiffel Tower area and few major skyscrapers if any will be seen around. You'll have to go up the tower to see La Défense which is where a cluster of skyscrapers is, and a few other isolated buildings. And, of course, the Eiffel Tower is, itself, a tourist attraction on the ground or up in it.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

johns624

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:43 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
London and Tokyo have a much larger population than New York. Hong Kong is effectively a city state.
London is barely larger than NYC and NYC's metro area is much larger. Hong Kong WAS a city-state. The PRC runs it like a puppet right now. That's what all the protests are about.

seat64k

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:17 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

It's more that the London skyline is comparatively uninteresting, and you pay though your nose for the privilege.

einsteinboricua

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:21 pm

johns624 wrote:
London is barely larger than NYC and NYC's metro area is much larger.

I'm not talking about metro areas and I'm certain the OP isn't either. The NYC metro extends into 4 states. New Haven, CT is part of the NYC metro area, yet I doubt someone will travel 2 hours to visit the city for its skyscrapers and observation decks.

johns624 wrote:
Hong Kong WAS a city-state. The PRC runs it like a puppet right now. That's what all the protests are about.

It's still a city-state, much like Singapore is: a small state whose metro area is essentially the only settlement. How it's run has nothing to do with it.

johns624

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:28 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
johns624 wrote:
London is barely larger than NYC and NYC's metro area is much larger.

I'm not talking about metro areas and I'm certain the OP isn't either. The NYC metro extends into 4 states. New Haven, CT is part of the NYC metro area, yet I doubt someone will travel 2 hours to visit the city for its skyscrapers and observation decks.

johns624 wrote:
Hong Kong WAS a city-state. The PRC runs it like a puppet right now. That's what all the protests are about.

It's still a city-state, much like Singapore is: a small state whose metro area is essentially the only settlement. How it's run has nothing to do with it.

1. How do you know what (if anything) the OP is thinking?
2. I did say that London is slightly larger. Work on your reading comprehension. That being said, in today's world most think in terms of metro areas.
3. The actual City of London is very small, if you want to be pedantic about it.
4. Hong Kong is nothing like Singapore. Singapore is a sovereign nation, Hong Kong isn't. Hong Kong is part of the PRC.

einsteinboricua

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:13 am

johns624 wrote:
2. I did say that London is slightly larger. Work on your reading comprehension. That being said, in today's world most think in terms of metro areas.
3. The actual City of London is very small, if you want to be pedantic about it.
4. Hong Kong is nothing like Singapore. Singapore is a sovereign nation, Hong Kong isn't. Hong Kong is part of the PRC.

1. Reading the first post, he explicitly mentions New York City. Unless New Haven, CT is part of NYC proper, we are talking about city limits and not the metro area.
2. Yes you did, but also mentioned that the NYC METRO area is larger. And no need to hurl insults either.

And when talking about cities, it's important to distinguish metro area from city limits. Saying "St. Louis", for example, is ambiguous. Do you mean the Independent City of St. Louis? St Louis county? St. Louis county AND city? St. Louis Metro area (which extends into many counties east and west)? St. Louis Metro Area west of the Mississippi (excluding East St. Louis, which is part of the metro area, for better or worse)?

When saying New York City, the first thought that comes to mind is Manhattan, with some of the boroughs creeping in. The last thing anyone would think about when talking about New York City is seeing a place like this, unless they live there.

3. Since YOU mentioned to work on reading comprehension, I will direct you to the post:
einsteinboricua wrote:

I never mentioned city size; only population. Looks like YOU can brush up on reading comprehension too.

4. Hong Kong is an autonomous region. It has international representation in certain agencies much like Singapore does. We can debate the official status, but as long as the 50 year period in the handover treaty is in effect, though Hong Kong is part of China, it is not in any way like its provinces which are effectively represented, governed, and controlled by Beijing. That the situation is deteriorating is irrelevant to the subject at hand. And it still doesn't change the fact that how the territory is populated resembles a city-state: a very small geographic area with a main population center that serves as the metro area for the remainder of the territory. Look up "city states" on Google and Hong Kong will be mentioned. When Hong Kong is fully incorporated into China, I will agree that it will be just like any other city and nothing like Singapore (except for the weather).

johns624

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:39 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
johns624 wrote:

1. Reading the first post, he explicitly mentions New York City. Unless New Haven, CT is part of NYC proper, we are talking about city limits and not the metro area.
2. Yes you did, but also mentioned that the NYC METRO area is larger. And no need to hurl insults either.

And when talking about cities, it's important to distinguish metro area from city limits. Saying "St. Louis", for example, is ambiguous. Do you mean the Independent City of St. Louis? St Louis county? St. Louis county AND city? St. Louis Metro area (which extends into many counties east and west)? St. Louis Metro Area west of the Mississippi (excluding East St. Louis, which is part of the metro area, for better or worse)?

When saying New York City, the first thought that comes to mind is Manhattan, with some of the boroughs creeping in. The last thing anyone would think about when talking about New York City is seeing a place like this, unless they live there.

3. Since YOU mentioned to work on reading comprehension, I will direct you to the post:
einsteinboricua wrote:

I never mentioned city size; only population. Looks like YOU can brush up on reading comprehension too.

4. Hong Kong is an autonomous region. It has international representation in certain agencies much like Singapore does. We can debate the official status, but as long as the 50 year period in the handover treaty is in effect, though Hong Kong is part of China, it is not in any way like its provinces which are effectively represented, governed, and controlled by Beijing. That the situation is deteriorating is irrelevant to the subject at hand. And it still doesn't change the fact that how the territory is populated resembles a city-state: a very small geographic area with a main population center that serves as the metro area for the remainder of the territory. Look up "city states" on Google and Hong Kong will be mentioned. When Hong Kong is fully incorporated into China, I will agree that it will be just like any other city and nothing like Singapore (except for the weather).
Once again, you are wrong (see a pattern here?). People go to observation decks to see the surrounding area. That doesn't stop at the city limits. London's population is 8.8M, NYC is 8.4M. You said "much larger". Less than 5% doesn't qualify. You also don't know what the definition of "City of London" is. It's actually very small. If you don't really consider the other 4 boroughs a full part of NYC, that's on you. Perception and reality are two different things.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:45 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London

The introductory paragraphs provide a quick review of the City of London versus the city of London.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:21 am

TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

True, but The Empire State Building is world-famous for having been the tallest building in the world for many years plus it's located on a major thoroughfare, 34th st., whereas most people know little or nothing about The Chrysler Building unless they're either architecture buffs or New Yorkers.

For example, a friend of mine watched Men In Black III and one of his major criticisms was the "unbelievability and over-decoration of the fake skyscraper" that Will Smith's character jumped off of. He refused to believe that was (probably a very good studio/CGI recreation of) a genuine, real building in NYC, stainless steel eagles and all, until I showed him pics of it.

The Empire State Building was renovated in the past 10 years and now has many of the same amenities as new office buildings such as a gym and a green roof.