Kiwirob
Topic Author
Posts: 12196
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:18 pm

You couldn’t make this up if you tried.

Frustrated vegan Cilla Carden is so fed up with her two neighbours she has taken them to court over the meat and smoke smells coming from their barbecue.

The Perth woman said she couldn't enjoy her backyard in the suburb of Girrawheen, claiming her neighbours deliberately allow their barbecue meat and fish smells to waft into her yard.

"They've put it there so I smell fish, all I can smell is fish … I can't go out there," Carden told Nine News.


After her claims were rejected by a tribunal earlier this year on lack of evidence, she applied to the Supreme Court of Western Australia for right of appeal. It was also turned down in July.

Lawyer John Hammond said going to the Supreme Court was an "extreme option" — but it hadn't stopped Carden from further appealing the case.

She told Nine News she believed her neighbours were "absolutely deliberate" in allowing their smells to cross into her yard.


https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/ne ... d=12264369

This sort of stunt doesn’t do vegans much good and confirms for many that they are mentally deranged nutters.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10800
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:19 pm

There are just very few circumstances under which her actions make any sense....

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11738
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:27 pm

Australia is a vast, underpopulated country, I'm sure she can find a place to live in without such issue.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10800
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:28 pm

Aesma wrote:
Australia is a vast, underpopulated country, I'm sure she can find a place to live in without such issue.


I have the feeling she is the type that will always find something to complain about ...

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
slider
Posts: 7407
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:52 pm

In a solidarity movement, I am declaring that I shall grill animal flesh of some sort tonight for dinner.

A sacrifice of meat must be made.

#StandWithVu
 
VSMUT
Posts: 2911
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:00 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Australia is a vast, underpopulated country, I'm sure she can find a place to live in without such issue.


I have the feeling she is the type that will always find something to complain about ...

Best regards
Thomas


:checkmark:


And it's not just the smell of meat and fish that has made her furious — it's the smell of cigarettes and the sound of children playing with basketballs.

"It's been devastating, it's been turmoil, it's been unrest, I haven't been able to sleep," Carden said.

Vu said he just wanted to "keep the peace" and had removed the barbecue out of his yard and also banned his children from playing basketball.

Carden also complained about the neighbour who lives on the other side of the Vu family.


She is just a serial complainer who complains about everything.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3462
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:02 pm

obviously this woman has a few screws loose. But why am I not surprised that some lawyer actually took on the case?
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:18 pm

ER757 wrote:
obviously this woman has a few screws loose. But why am I not surprised that some lawyer actually took on the case?

The lawyer(s) may have given much advice against pursuing this pointless claim but the client inisisted in proceeding regardless, why not take the fool's money?
It's not always the lawyers fault.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:40 pm

Poor Mr. Vu and family - can't live in peace just b/c they have a nutjob as neighbour. Poor kids also, can't even enjoy playing some basketball.

Seriously, though, she's free to move to somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Australia - it's a huge country with tons of land.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:11 pm

No Shrimp on the Barbie? That is sacrilege .
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
TSS
Posts: 3236
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:20 pm

slider wrote:
In a solidarity movement, I am declaring that I shall grill animal flesh of some sort tonight for dinner.

A sacrifice of meat must be made.

#StandWithVu


Amen, brother! Aussie comedian Isaac Butterfield has much the same attitude (as with anything of Isaac's, NSFW- Language)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhPvpkj2VUI
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 7506
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:20 pm

There will always be THAT neighbor. A coworker of mine was telling us that a neighbor 2 doors down lodged a complaint against him for sprucing up his property because, apparently, he wasn't following city code. When he went to the offices to inquire if there was anything he missed, as soon as he stated his address and the complaint, they dismissed it because the neighbor is known to complain about anything and everything (neighbor that cries wolf). He didn't know it was her until his next door neighbor mentioned it. He also told us that the same lady told her next door neighbor (my coworker's next door neighbor) that they needed to change the location of the windows because when the sun reflects from them, they reflect towards her house and disturbs her.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
cpd
Posts: 5992
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:44 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
You couldn’t make this up if you tried.

Frustrated vegan Cilla Carden is so fed up with her two neighbours she has taken them to court over the meat and smoke smells coming from their barbecue.

The Perth woman said she couldn't enjoy her backyard in the suburb of Girrawheen, claiming her neighbours deliberately allow their barbecue meat and fish smells to waft into her yard.

"They've put it there so I smell fish, all I can smell is fish … I can't go out there," Carden told Nine News.


After her claims were rejected by a tribunal earlier this year on lack of evidence, she applied to the Supreme Court of Western Australia for right of appeal. It was also turned down in July.

Lawyer John Hammond said going to the Supreme Court was an "extreme option" — but it hadn't stopped Carden from further appealing the case.

She told Nine News she believed her neighbours were "absolutely deliberate" in allowing their smells to cross into her yard.


https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/ne ... d=12264369

This sort of stunt doesn’t do vegans much good and confirms for many that they are mentally deranged nutters.


I’m not vegan, but you’ve just undone your case completely with that personal attack.

The case is a bit strange and there isn’t much anyone can do about the direction of smoke from a barbecue.

However, I’m not going to be some fool who changes their eating just to join some solidarity movement. I’ll eat what I want, when I want. I feel like Indian vegetarian food tonight actually.

As for the Aussie comedian with his comments, do you really think he cares about the issue at hand? No, of course not. He just cares about keeping his livelihood going, regardless of how it happens. These types are among the lowest of the low.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3462
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:22 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
ER757 wrote:
obviously this woman has a few screws loose. But why am I not surprised that some lawyer actually took on the case?

The lawyer(s) may have given much advice against pursuing this pointless claim but the client inisisted in proceeding regardless, why not take the fool's money?
It's not always the lawyers fault.

You do have a point there - lawyers gotta eat too (just not meat or fish if they represent this wing nut :smile: )
 
Pi7472000
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:48 pm

It is great to see the rights of vegans being respected in today's world. With climate change in full force humans need to cut back on all meat consumption and move toward plant based diets.

It is great to see vegans standing against climate change and animal injustice. I hope she can enjoy her back yard without the awful smell of smoke and burnt animal meat.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 7710
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:31 am

Pi7472000 wrote:
It is great to see the rights of vegans being respected in today's world. With climate change in full force humans need to cut back on all meat consumption and move toward plant based diets.

It is great to see vegans standing against climate change and animal injustice. I hope she can enjoy her back yard without the awful smell of smoke and burnt animal meat.


And, what about the right of the neighbor to enjoy whatever food he wishes to eat?

What this particular vegan is doing, along with other, militant vegans, is virtue signalling.

I know vegans and vegetarians who could give a rat's what I eat. In fact, I had a vegan over to our Labor Day soiree this weekend. He ate the non-meat stuff I had, along with the food he brought, while his wife, and the rest of us enjoyed some beer-can chicken and beef brisket.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10800
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:25 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
It is great to see the rights of vegans being respected


You mean her obviously non-existent right to tell her neighbour's what they can and can't eat?

And I am a vegetarian myself, and still see no reason whatsoever to support her claim.....

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 1674
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:26 pm

ER757 wrote:
obviously this woman has a few screws loose. But why am I not surprised that some lawyer actually took on the case?


Personally, I think the lawyer is a genius. Free money for doing nothing. Probably celebrate over a nice ribeye once the case gets tossed and she writes the check. :lol:
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?
 
seat64k
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:40 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
It is great to see the rights of vegans being respected in today's world.


And this is exactly the attitude that make people dislike vegans so much. No one - not vegans, not vegetarians, not omnivores - have the right not to smell the food anyone else is preparing or eating. Or to dictate what other people can eat.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:26 pm

The Ultimate revenge

A community BBQ is being planned outside Cilla Carden's house with 2000 people have already stated on facebook they will be attending with another 6000 having clicked they are interested in attending

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real- ... a16f55d6de
Forum Moderator
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10800
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:42 pm

qf789 wrote:
The Ultimate revenge

A community BBQ is being planned outside Cilla Carden's house with 2000 people have already stated on facebook they will be attending with another 6000 having clicked they are interested in attending

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real- ... a16f55d6de


If it wasnt quite literally the opposite site of the planet ......

I guess she will have a breakdown and get PTSD....

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
slider
Posts: 7407
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:51 pm

qf789 wrote:
The Ultimate revenge

A community BBQ is being planned outside Cilla Carden's house with 2000 people have already stated on facebook they will be attending with another 6000 having clicked they are interested in attending

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real- ... a16f55d6de


If this were in the States, I'd easily jump on a plane. LOL

Love this so much. Hey, now I think i'm going to grill again tonight. Maybe steaks. Maybe thick cut pork chops.

And on Saturday, I'm definitely smoking some ribs.
 
Airstud
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:28 pm

Has anyone tried the "Impossible Whopper" yet?

I made some nutritional decisions when I was younger such that I've not eaten anything from Burger King since 1995 (nor McD's since '93 thanks for asking) but I am curious what folks who aren't appearing in the TV commercials have to say about it.
Pancakes are delicious.
 
User avatar
T18
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:40 pm

Airstud wrote:
Has anyone tried the "Impossible Whopper" yet?

I made some nutritional decisions when I was younger such that I've not eaten anything from Burger King since 1995 (nor McD's since '93 thanks for asking) but I am curious what folks who aren't appearing in the TV commercials have to say about it.


My father tried it, he said it was too salty for his taste, granted he has a low threshold for salt.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 7710
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:53 pm

Airstud wrote:
Has anyone tried the "Impossible Whopper" yet?

I made some nutritional decisions when I was younger such that I've not eaten anything from Burger King since 1995 (nor McD's since '93 thanks for asking) but I am curious what folks who aren't appearing in the TV commercials have to say about it.


I made that decision in 2011. The only thing I've eaten from McDonald's since then has been the Egg McMuffin, because: 300 calories and YUMMY.

I recently listened to a Freakonomics podcast called "The Future of Meat". Pretty interesting and spoke a bit about Impossible Foods. I'm intrigued.

zakuivcustom wrote:

Let me guess, that neighbor is some (white?) woman in her 40s/50s? Not trying to be sexist (or even racist) but why does it always seems like it's always those people. BTW those are usually the same people that call the popo in cases that are "(insert some verb here) while being (insert a minority race here, but usually black)".


Hmmm, missed that earlier.

News flash...you are being sexist and racist.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3462
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:52 am

Airstud wrote:
Has anyone tried the "Impossible Whopper" yet?

I made some nutritional decisions when I was younger such that I've not eaten anything from Burger King since 1995 (nor McD's since '93 thanks for asking) but I am curious what folks who aren't appearing in the TV commercials have to say about it.

I tried one a couple weeks ago - I am not a fan of Burger King but heck, I figured why not.....verdict: Meh
Wasn't bad but sure didn't taste like beef
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:12 am

fr8mech wrote:
Airstud wrote:
Has anyone tried the "Impossible Whopper" yet?

I made some nutritional decisions when I was younger such that I've not eaten anything from Burger King since 1995 (nor McD's since '93 thanks for asking) but I am curious what folks who aren't appearing in the TV commercials have to say about it.


I made that decision in 2011. The only thing I've eaten from McDonald's since then has been the Egg McMuffin, because: 300 calories and YUMMY.

I recently listened to a Freakonomics podcast called "The Future of Meat". Pretty interesting and spoke a bit about Impossible Foods. I'm intrigued.

zakuivcustom wrote:

Let me guess, that neighbor is some (white?) woman in her 40s/50s? Not trying to be sexist (or even racist) but why does it always seems like it's always those people. BTW those are usually the same people that call the popo in cases that are "(insert some verb here) while being (insert a minority race here, but usually black)".


Hmmm, missed that earlier.

News flash...you are being sexist and racist.


Ageist as well :).

Ok, if I offend anybody I do apologize.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
User avatar
Zeppi
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:30 am

qf789 wrote:
A community BBQ is being planned outside Cilla Carden's house with 2000 people have already stated on facebook they will be attending with another 6000 having clicked they are interested in attending

Oh that's just brilliant, hahahaha! Always count on the aussies for a good laugh :lol:
That said, militant veganism really is becoming an issue. They're pretty much akin to religious extremists nowadays -.-

einsteinboricua wrote:
There will always be THAT neighbor.

There is, right?!
We also have that guy, in german we say "Korinthenkacker" (google it xD), who doesn't like dogs. Our direct neighbours have a couple of large dogs (which are lovely) and two daughters who like to go walking with them. That guy lives across the street from them, and he even complained to the municipality that he doesn't want the dogs to walk to the end of the street (which is about 150m, then it's only fields and forest) off leash or only with the girls, because apparently the dogs are "too strong" for them to control. Seems like he found a "korinthenkacker" friend in the municipality who actually told the family the girls cannot walk the dogs alone or even off leash down that little bit of street, which is public land. Simple solution: We installed a gate in their fence so the dogs don't need to use the public road, they can just cross our land to directly access the fields and forest, which are also all private property and the farmers/rangers/owners of those all love the dogs too and allow them to do whatever they want. Such fun watching the korinthenkacker boil internally when he sees the dogs out and about having fun :lol:
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9623
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:59 am

Just slap some more bacon on that grill every day :D
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11738
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:10 am

Pi7472000 wrote:
It is great to see the rights of vegans being respected in today's world. With climate change in full force humans need to cut back on all meat consumption and move toward plant based diets.

It is great to see vegans standing against climate change and animal injustice. I hope she can enjoy her back yard without the awful smell of smoke and burnt animal meat.


Reducing the amount of meat eaten and improving animal welfare are lofty goals. Veganism is only slightly related to those, and crazy militant vegans are hurting these goals, not helping.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10800
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:12 am

Zeppi wrote:
That said, militant veganism really is becoming an issue. They're pretty much akin to religious extremists nowadays -.-:


with all the justified criticism of her, please do come back when vegans fly Aircraft into buildings and go shooting up BBQ restaurants....

Not that some aren´´t "Pro life" let-me-control-your-life level annoying........

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
alex0easy
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:34 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:38 am

I think she needs to see a therapist or something....
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11738
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:15 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Zeppi wrote:
That said, militant veganism really is becoming an issue. They're pretty much akin to religious extremists nowadays -.-:


with all the justified criticism of her, please do come back when vegans fly Aircraft into buildings and go shooting up BBQ restaurants....

Not that some aren´´t "Pro life" let-me-control-your-life level annoying........

best regards
Thomas


In France they are attacking butcher shops.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
seat64k
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:42 am

Ms Carden took her neighbours to a tribunal in January this year but her claims were rejected due to lack of evidence. She then applied to the Supreme Court of Western Australia to appeal the decision but that was also rejected in July.


Ms Carden claims the whole issue has been blown out of proportion


I feel like she's lacking some perspective.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10800
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:57 am

Aesma wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Zeppi wrote:
That said, militant veganism really is becoming an issue. They're pretty much akin to religious extremists nowadays -.-:


with all the justified criticism of her, please do come back when vegans fly Aircraft into buildings and go shooting up BBQ restaurants....

Not that some aren´´t "Pro life" let-me-control-your-life level annoying........

best regards
Thomas


In France they are attacking butcher shops.


With explosive Vests?

Considering they got 10 and 6 month, here you can get up to one year in prison for riding on a bus/train without a ticket, it doesn´t stike me as "religious extremist" level violence (although they certainly act like religion nutjobs otherwise).

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
WildcatYXU
Posts: 3087
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:46 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

With explosive Vests?

Considering they got 10 and 6 month, here you can get up to one year in prison for riding on a bus/train without a ticket, it doesn´t stike me as "religious extremist" level violence (although they certainly act like religion nutjobs otherwise).

best regards
Thomas


What?!?
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40
 
Kiwirob
Topic Author
Posts: 12196
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:10 pm

Airstud wrote:
Has anyone tried the "Impossible Whopper" yet?

I made some nutritional decisions when I was younger such that I've not eaten anything from Burger King since 1995 (nor McD's since '93 thanks for asking) but I am curious what folks who aren't appearing in the TV commercials have to say about it.


I can't understand why someone who doesn't want to eat meat (for whatever reason) will buy a burger with fake meat. If you don't like meat eating something that looks and tastes like meat is nuts!
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10800
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:30 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

With explosive Vests?

Considering they got 10 and 6 month, here you can get up to one year in prison for riding on a bus/train without a ticket, it doesn´t stike me as "religious extremist" level violence (although they certainly act like religion nutjobs otherwise).

best regards
Thomas


What?!?


Completely nuts.. I know. They make up 5% of the prison population or so.
Remember Indiana Jones... no one was too surprised he threw people out of the zeppelin for not having a ticket... kernel of truth in that scene...

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:17 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

I can't understand why someone who doesn't want to eat meat (for whatever reason) will buy a burger with fake meat. If you don't like meat eating something that looks and tastes like meat is nuts!


I suspect these fake meats have been developed to attract a demographic that wants to be vegan but can't yet let go of meat. Most vegans do not seek protein substitutes that directly correlate with the flavor and texture of specific meats. But vegans do seek out "meaty-ness" in food for obvious reasons; as a species we're programmed to seek out foods that are rich in proteins and for good reason.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Zeppi wrote:

That said, militant veganism really is becoming an issue. They're pretty much akin to religious extremists nowadays -.-


What a sad stereotype of vegans. How many vegans have you met? How many can you pick out of a crowd by sight? I have many vegan friends and if I could line them all up along with meat eaters, you wouldn't know the difference. They aren't militant. They rarely declare themselves vegans. They attend parties and otherwise socialize without demanding special foods. Most of the vegans I know take food along with them if they think they may not have choices.

So you've presented a stereotype of vegans as militant, obnoxious people. I would challenge you not to generalize, especially about a population you know little about.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1522
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:01 pm

Before I read this, I was fully expecting it to be in the US.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.
 
seat64k
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:45 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
I can't understand why someone who doesn't want to eat meat (for whatever reason) will buy a burger with fake meat. If you don't like meat eating something that looks and tastes like meat is nuts!


People end up being vegetarian for reasons other than the usual faux health/moral stuff. Quite a few of my very much carnivorous friends are married to vegetarians. Some have partners who don't want meat in the house. I guess the occasional fake meat burger or fake meat lasagne is better than a bean burger or veggie lasagna. Because say what you will about Impossible/Beyond meat - it's streets better than a bean burger.

mbmbos wrote:
Zeppi wrote:
That said, militant veganism really is becoming an issue. They're pretty much akin to religious extremists nowadays -.-


What a sad stereotype of vegans. How many vegans have you met?


You must move in some rarefied circles. Zeppi's comments are over the top, but the vegan stereotype is well deserved. Before I moved to Asia, fully half my friends and colleagues I hung out with, were vegetarian or vegan. I'm talking 50+ people over the span of a decade. Only four of those behaved like the people you described. One is a former meat eater who turned pescetarian and ultimately vegetarian. He was happy to grill the meat when we have a BBQ - he just didn't eat it. The other three were life-long vegetarians who never had any complaints as long as we pick restaurants that have options. The kind of people you describe. The rest all existed on a spectrum of frequent snide comments delivered with an air of moral superiority, all the way to assholes who want to dictate what others can or can't order when we go to a restaurant, and everything in-between. I used to love throwing dinner parties on my birthday, cooking two sets of each course. But I ultimately stopped because it was obvious to me that my vegetarian friends wasn't really enjoying the vegan food (I don't blame them) and it became increasingly difficult to cook something decent that doesn't offend some non-trivial portion of the vegan/vegetarian guests in some way.

Funny thing is, back in 3rd world country, this wasn't a thing. I knew a handful of vegetarians there too, they kept it to themselves and made adjustments as necessary. Ditto here in Asia. The only times when I encounter this sort of behaviour, it's always some American/British/Aussie idiot getting upset because the Cha chaan teng doesn't have vegan friendly options.
 
User avatar
Zeppi
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:23 pm

@tommy1808
Yeah, luckily we're not there yet. But vandalising property of those that don't follow their faith, and in some cases also accepting the risk of causing injury comes pretty close IMHO.

@mbmbos
You must have misunderstood, I do not regard all vegans as such. Indeed most just do their thing and keep it to themselves, in which case more power to them.
But the obnoxious and militant type, just as @seat64k describes above, is the type that always stands out in a negative fashion. And as with religious nutjobs it's mostly the recent converts that are the most obnoxious of the lot.
I'm sure noone has an issue with vegans just because they're vegans, why would they? But as soon as they start their missionizing, lecturing, moral superiority show or just generally being an inconsiderate obnoxious royal pain in the backside for the people around them they should clearly be shown their limits. Just like this woman in Perth.
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Zeppi wrote:
@mbmbos
You must have misunderstood, I do not regard all vegans as such. Indeed most just do their thing and keep it to themselves, in which case more power to them.
But the obnoxious and militant type, just as @seat64k describes above, is the type that always stands out in a negative fashion. And as with religious nutjobs it's mostly the recent converts that are the most obnoxious of the lot.
I'm sure noone has an issue with vegans just because they're vegans, why would they? But as soon as they start their missionizing, lecturing, moral superiority show or just generally being an inconsiderate obnoxious royal pain in the backside for the people around them they should clearly be shown their limits. Just like this woman in Perth.


So you're created a new demographic: militant vegan

Methinks you've created a straw man. How many vegans have you witnessed who "missionizes," lectures and otherwise assert their moral superiority? One? Two? It's a serious question. Again, I have many, many vegans in my life and not a single one of them displays the attributes you claim. Anyone can find a person who is an "obnoxious royal pain in the backside" belonging to any demographic. But to create a category such as militant vegan, you are setting up a series of attitudes and behaviors that are displayed in an insignificant portion of the vegan population. Why create a straw man like this? Why paint vegans with the broad brush of a stereotype or generalization?

I think it's dangerous and irresponsible to create a concept of a class of people who possess a set of characteristics and behaviors you have ascribed and don't necessarily exist in the real world.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 9356
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:05 pm

Trying to bring this down a notch....
I think the main that was trying to be made was that "militant" ANYONE is often bad for a cause or lifestyle etc. I would think we all know someone who can be described as militant about something that drives us crazy and really makes you dislike what they support.

So not saying all members of any particular group are militant but that the very very few that are do more damage than good and are often what we all remember (or at least what gets shared around everywhere). And equally you cannot equate one person as being an entire group and setting up such a situation does not good in any discussion.

Anyway, just trying to assist where I see people may not be seeing what others are saying.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
User avatar
Zeppi
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:12 pm

That's exactly the point I am trying to make. How many vegans have I met? Hundreds I guess, since most as you correctly say don't throw it at you first chance they get. How many of the annoying type? 70? 80? 90? I really don't keep count, but their numbers are increasing, sharply.
You just have to go to a restaurant in an urban area here, and within two hours there you can be pretty certain to whitness a vegan making a scene with the waiting staff.
So no, this is not a strawman or whatever you want to call it, it's just plain annoying.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 12680
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:58 pm

Went to Gordon Ramsay the other night and got the ribeye if eating meat is wrong I don't want to be right!
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,
 
User avatar
jdstJD
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:40 am

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:13 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
ER757 wrote:
obviously this woman has a few screws loose. But why am I not surprised that some lawyer actually took on the case?

The lawyer(s) may have given much advice against pursuing this pointless claim but the client inisisted in proceeding regardless, why not take the fool's money?
It's not always the lawyers fault.


Thank you :smile: . Maybe in the lawyer’s opinion she had a valid claim. Thought he’d/she’d give it a shot. :scratchchin:
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 10800
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:56 am

Zeppi wrote:
@tommy1808
Yeah, luckily we're not there yet. But vandalising property of those that don't follow their faith, and in some cases also accepting the risk of causing injury comes pretty close IMHO.


*shrugg* i guess that makes all those places where slaughtering a dog, cat, monkey, ape and such for food gets you in trouble theocracies then....
Every group has its bell curve and its fringes with it. They go to prison, learn, or go to prison some more.

@mbmbos
You must have misunderstood, I do not regard all vegans as such. Indeed most just do their thing and keep it to themselves, in which case more power to them..


i absolutely love preparing a dish with meat when i have friends coming over for dinner and goat them into believing its vegan. .... :D
There are just too many dishes where no one can taste the difference, essentially everything where the pieces are too small for texture to give it away.

Since anything Tofu at a BBQ is bound to draw a gazillion of comments, even though i liked Tofu already a lot when i was still thinking a well prepared Entrecôte was the next best thing after sex, i think messing with their heads is just fair :mrgreen:

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
Kiwirob
Topic Author
Posts: 12196
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:04 am

mbmbos wrote:
Zeppi wrote:
@mbmbos
You must have misunderstood, I do not regard all vegans as such. Indeed most just do their thing and keep it to themselves, in which case more power to them.
But the obnoxious and militant type, just as @seat64k describes above, is the type that always stands out in a negative fashion. And as with religious nutjobs it's mostly the recent converts that are the most obnoxious of the lot.
I'm sure noone has an issue with vegans just because they're vegans, why would they? But as soon as they start their missionizing, lecturing, moral superiority show or just generally being an inconsiderate obnoxious royal pain in the backside for the people around them they should clearly be shown their limits. Just like this woman in Perth.


So you're created a new demographic: militant vegan

Methinks you've created a straw man. How many vegans have you witnessed who "missionizes," lectures and otherwise assert their moral superiority? One? Two? It's a serious question. Again, I have many, many vegans in my life and not a single one of them displays the attributes you claim. Anyone can find a person who is an "obnoxious royal pain in the backside" belonging to any demographic. But to create a category such as militant vegan, you are setting up a series of attitudes and behaviors that are displayed in an insignificant portion of the vegan population. Why create a straw man like this? Why paint vegans with the broad brush of a stereotype or generalization?

I think it's dangerous and irresponsible to create a concept of a class of people who possess a set of characteristics and behaviors you have ascribed and don't necessarily exist in the real world.


The militant vegan is not a new demographic, they’ve been at it for a while. Yesterday I read an article about a 16 year old militant vegan in Spain who broke into a rabbit farm to free the rabbits, she couldn’t understand why the farmer shot her. I was also in Southampton early this year where vegans were protesting outside the South Quay shopping centre, a couple of them had sewn there mouths shut.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], einsteinboricua, petertenthije and 25 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos