tommy1808

Re: Vegan woman demands neighbour stop using meat on barbecue due to smell

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:19 am

Kiwirob wrote:
a couple of them had sewn there mouths shut.

how is that "militant" and not just stupid?

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

alfa164

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:27 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

How about both militant and stupid?
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

tommy1808

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:33 am

alfa164 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

How about both militant and stupid?

Only if you write new dictionaries....

Best regards
Thomas

Super80Fan

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:49 am

A vegan and an atheist walk into a bar.

I only know this because they told me within seconds of walking in.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:53 am

Super80Fan wrote:
A vegan and an atheist walk into a bar.

I only know this because they told me within seconds of walking in.

That's actually an on-point good one.

But one of my favorite atheists ever was a woman whom I'd swear was a Holy Roller. Mainly because that's how she wanted to be seen, for a lot of obvious financial reasons.

I only found out she was a non-beliver after, um, 'helping' her cheat on her very obviously closeted partner.

The smart ones don't telegraph...
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

mbmbos

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:03 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
Zeppi wrote:
@mbmbo

The militant vegan is not a new demographic, they’ve been at it for a while. Yesterday I read an article about a 16 year old militant vegan in Spain who broke into a rabbit farm to free the rabbits, she couldn’t understand why the farmer shot her. I was also in Southampton early this year where vegans were protesting outside the South Quay shopping centre, a couple of them had sewn there mouths shut.

According to whom? You've created this category, or should I say stereotype. So a few people free bunnies and it gives you permission to rant on about militant vegans, as f this were a massive movement. This is the kind of talk that damages the reputation and good will of most vegans, and it provides cover for those who show contempt against people who are different from themselves.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Kiwirob
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:21 pm

I didn’t define militant veganism but it exists, your head is firmly up your arse if you think it doesn’t.

If you like we can call them vegan activists.

Tugger

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:44 pm

mbmbos wrote:
So a few people free bunnies and it gives you permission to rant on about militant vegans, as f this were a massive movement. This is the kind of talk that damages the reputation and good will of most vegans,

That is the entire point I was trying to make: It is not "massive" or in any way a significant part of the population of people who have decided to be vegan. But it can reflect horribly on the overall population and others will use them as examples for the whole thing as that is what we remember. (We don't remember the quiet normal people that get along with everyone.)

Look at my post here, I am sure some will say that I am against or trying to stereotype an entire group. And that would be done based on a couple posts in this thread and not the overarching nature of my posts and interactions on this site. So these few posts can create damage to my overall reputation here in the minds of some people.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

mbmbos

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:13 pm

Tugger wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
So a few people free bunnies and it gives you permission to rant on about militant vegans, as f this were a massive movement. This is the kind of talk that damages the reputation and good will of most vegans,

That is the entire point I was trying to make: It is not "massive" or in any way a significant part of the population of people who have decided to be vegan. But it can reflect horribly on the overall population and others will use them as examples for the whole thing as that is what we remember. (We don't remember the quiet normal people that get along with everyone.)

Look at my post here, I am sure some will say that I am against or trying to stereotype an entire group. And that would be done based on a couple posts in this thread and not the overarching nature of my posts and interactions on this site. So these few posts can create damage to my overall reputation here in the minds of some people.

Tugg

No matter how much you deny it, you are creating a straw man, one that hurts the majority of vegans who are polite, take responsibility for their own food needs and are otherwise good citizens.

You admit these so-called militant vegans are anecdotal, so why is it you take these anecdotal situations and weave them into a stereotype? How is it even possible to generalize said persons when you admit they are a rarity?
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Revelation

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:14 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Seriously, though, she's free to move to somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Australia - it's a huge country with tons of land.

Hopefully that land can support a nice garden.

Kiwirob wrote:
I can't understand why someone who doesn't want to eat meat (for whatever reason) will buy a burger with fake meat. If you don't like meat eating something that looks and tastes like meat is nuts!

Because there's more reasons to be vegan other than not wanting to eat meat.

Besides, if you are doing it right, hamburgers are more than bread and meat, and all the fixings are either vegetarian or have veggie substitutes.

I did the veggie thing for a decade, and I can tell you that the strong smell of BBQ was pretty repulsive to me back then.

It's kind of like a smoker who thinks the smell of cigarette smoke is great, but many non-smokers find it repulsive.

And Viet neighbors seem to be great at flooding a neighborhood with stinky cooking smells be it BBQ or otherwise.

It sounds like she may have attempted some resolution with the neighbors but it went so badly now they deliberately provoke her.

Bringing a court case though is ridiculous, and thousands staging a mass BBQ in the streets is childish.

Can't we all just get along?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

fr8mech

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:03 am

Revelation wrote:
Besides, if you are doing it right, hamburgers are more than bread and meat, and all the fixings are either vegetarian or have veggie substitutes.

True, but the meat is the basis of the burger. In fact, it is my most august opinion, that any "burger" that does not have ground beef, though other ground meats may be acceptable, if announced as such, as its main component is not really a burger. Nay, I say, nay, they are sandwiches. Sandwiches, I say!

Revelation wrote:
I did the veggie thing for a decade, and I can tell you that the strong smell of BBQ was pretty repulsive to me back then.

I did the vegetarian thing for a couple of years, and the smell of meat cooking on a grill reminded of what I wasn't eating at the time. It was not repulsive at all.

Revelation wrote:
It sounds like she may have attempted some resolution with the neighbors but it went so badly now they deliberately provoke her.

If you read the article, you'll find that they tries to accommodate her, and she wouldn't have it.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/ne ... d=12264369

Vu said he just wanted to "keep the peace" and had removed the barbecue out of his yard and also banned his children from playing basketball.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

tommy1808

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:49 am

Revelation wrote:
And Viet neighbors seem to be great at flooding a neighborhood with stinky cooking smells be it BBQ or otherwise.

...unless you like that food, than it smells fantastic.

I mean, i didn´t imagine that i would one day think "Oh, that stinking Tofu smells good" either.... ;-)

fr8mech wrote:
I did the vegetarian thing for a couple of years, and the smell of meat cooking on a grill reminded of what I wasn't eating at the time. It was not repulsive at all

:checkmark: :checkmark:
When i was in university i jobbed at a grocery stores cheese, cold-cut and meat counter, and one of my co-workers was fairly strictly vegan when it came to her own diet, but had no problem taking a meat cleaver to a pigs head so granny could fit it in her cooking pot for soup.....

best regards
Thomas

seat64k

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:12 pm

Revelation wrote:

This is very subjective though. When I was followed a vegetarian diet, the smell of searing meat was incredible to me, and it only got better as time went by.

Revelation wrote:
It's kind of like a smoker who thinks the smell of cigarette smoke is great, but many non-smokers find it repulsive.

That's not quite the same. Smoke is more akin to someone who don't bath and become nose-blind to the BO. Smokers go nose-blind to the smell of smoke because they smell it all day, and they themselves end up reeking of it.

Revelation wrote:

According to the article it's quite the opposite.

N867DA

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:09 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:
It is great to see the rights of vegans being respected in today's world. With climate change in full force humans need to cut back on all meat consumption and move toward plant based diets.

It is great to see vegans standing against climate change and animal injustice. I hope she can enjoy her back yard without the awful smell of smoke and burnt animal meat.

And, what about the right of the neighbor to enjoy whatever food he wishes to eat?

What this particular vegan is doing, along with other, militant vegans, is virtue signalling.

I know vegans and vegetarians who could give a rat's what I eat. In fact, I had a vegan over to our Labor Day soiree this weekend. He ate the non-meat stuff I had, along with the food he brought, while his wife, and the rest of us enjoyed some beer-can chicken and beef brisket.

People rarely have the right to eat whatever food they want. There are standards on what is acceptable. I can't go to Mr. Vu's barbeque with golden retriever steaks and expect a warm welcome.

Offensive cooking smells can be a nuisance regardless of animal content, but this woman's definitely a bit sensitive and in the wrong here.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

fr8mech

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:17 pm

N867DA wrote:

People rarely have the right to eat whatever food they want. There are standards on what is acceptable. I can't go to Mr. Vu's barbeque with golden retriever steaks and expect a warm welcome.

You’re right, Mr. Vu can bar you from eating certain foods at HIS barbecue, but he most certainly would not be able to bar you from eating dog, or cat, or guppy, or (insert protein here) at YOUR barbecue.

The proviso, of course, being that it is legal in the locality.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere