extender
Topic Author

Robocalls

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:11 pm

The donotcall.gov registry is a joke. The same four or five scams, but the numbers rotate faster than you can block them and they turn up again.

Then you have the IRS scams which are pure gold if I have the time to toy with them.

When will this crap stop?

Aaron747

Re: Robocalls

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:39 pm

Have never been robocalled. It must not happen on the west coast very much.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ltbewr

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:29 pm

What gets to me is getting robocalls in Spanish or Chinese. As I am 64 years old, I get dozens a week on my cell and home phone selling Medicaid supplemental policies (which I won't need for a while). I could get 8-9 calls a day on my cellphone at work. If it get a junk call with a human, then I say things to them NSFW or suggesting they were an ex-street prostitute who had to quit. I have to spend 20 minutes clearing out my home phone voice mail a week getting rid of this junk and make sure some are not legit messages.
The phone service providers need to take some action on abusers of 'unlimited' call plans as clog up the lines and may disturb necessary communications. Too many may get hurt in a trip and fall getting to a phone, distracted from their work or driving from a junk call. And you wonder, how much does it really work ? You would have to be dumb as a rock to do business with these usually scammers.

mham001

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:53 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

Huh? That is very difficult to believe. Robocalls have been around for decades, never got a political robocall? I remember getting calls from Arnold when I had a land line 20 years ago.

With a 30 year old business number forwarding to my cellphone, I get 4-5 a day, 90% of which begin..."your Google listing has not been updated...." I rarely answer the phone anymore. Plenty of people are doing the same, enough that the phone companies have recently taken notice and promising action.

Last night I got a 'refund' call, a true scam, coincidence because I've been watching the Indian scammer scammers on Youtube. It's funny to watch but sad to think that thousands have been defrauded of hundred$. I have downloaded an automatic dialer and started using it to clog their lines except it seems everybody else is too because you cannot get through.

fr8mech

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:57 pm

I know a lot of folks don't have the option to ignore calls, but I won't answer a call from an unknown number. If it's important, they'll leave a message, or shoot me a text that doesn't include a link to anything.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Aaron747

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:20 am

mham001 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Huh? That is very difficult to believe. Robocalls have been around for decades, never got a political robocall? I remember getting calls from Arnold when I had a land line 20 years ago.

With a 30 year old business number forwarding to my cellphone, I get 4-5 a day, 90% of which begin..."your Google listing has not been updated...." I rarely answer the phone anymore. Plenty of people are doing the same, enough that the phone companies have recently taken notice and promising action.

Last night I got a 'refund' call, a true scam, coincidence because I've been watching the Indian scammer scammers on Youtube. It's funny to watch but sad to think that thousands have been defrauded of hundred$. I have downloaded an automatic dialer and started using it to clog their lines except it seems everybody else is too because you cannot get through.

Most people I know only allow calls from known numbers or have ‘do not disturb’ enabled at all times on their phones. Need to contact? Send a text asking to call.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

T18

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:07 am

I think we can gather at least anecdotal from this thread that Robocalls have pretty much made phones useless means of contact unless you already are in someones contact list. It still shocks me that scammers and other criminals just seem to get away with using the phone networks to commit fraud and harassment and no one seems to want to even try fix it until now.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

777222LR

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:20 am

They are getting good at it. My caller ID yesterday said, "US Gov." Message was something like, "If you do not call us back, we will GET you arrested." The "get me arrested" part has scam written all over it. Claimed to be from social security office. DC number. I sometimes hate the digital age. It was a recording, clue no. 2.

Aaron747

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:41 am

Those caller ID spoofs are ridiculous. Federal agencies typically use caller ID letter coded by department and office location/branch. ‘Us Gov’ or ‘SSA Admin’ or ‘Dept of State’ are dead giveaway fakes.

seb146

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:12 am

Aaron747 wrote:

I live in Oregon and have a North Bay California cell phone number. I was getting a call a day about my student loan debt. I have none. It was annoying until I got five robocalls from the 707 area code in the same day about student debt forgiveness. I went to the web site of the California attorney general and filed a complaint. I got no calls for a week.

That was a month ago. Since then, I have gotten probably three different calls from the east coast and probably Caribbean about my social security number being suspended and I qualify for Medicare.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aaron747

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:20 am

Yeah I spoke before asking friends and that’s when I realized most everyone I know uses DND or only answers accepted list calls.

Braybuddy

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:04 am

It's funny: before mobile phones were invented we never thought twice about picking up a ringing phone. We're reluctant to now with mobile phones. I ignore any call that's not in my contact list.

fr8mech

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:13 am

Braybuddy wrote:
It's funny: before mobile phones were invented we never thought twice about picking up a ringing phone. We're reluctant to now with mobile phones. I ignore any call that's not in my contact list.

Actually, I took the position, long before cell phones and caller-id, that the phone was for my convenience, not the caller's. I answered the phone when I wanted to, not because it rang.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

alex0easy

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:27 am

Sometimes I answer them and just put the phone away (on speaker if I'm alone) and do what I have been doing. No hello, no talking.
You called me, so you speak first.
It's absolutely hilarious sometimes hearing what that guy/computer can say. I've had a computer (robot) keep saying "I didn't catch the last part. Can you repeat it?" when I've said absolutely nothing. The sound being picked up is me typing on my keyboard.

DL717

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:42 pm

All the effing time. FCC needs to kill this crap. My favorites are “this is Internal Revenue Service” and “this is Microsoft”. Jerk them around when I’m not doing anything. It always ends with them hanging up or me telling them I retired early and their career prospects don’t look so hot given he/she is a telemarketer.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

bgm

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:41 pm

Is this a predominantly US problem? I've only experienced it when I got a sim card in the US, not anywhere else (and I've used dozens of sim cards/phone numbers over the years in various countries without ever getting these).

Why isn't anything being done about it? Seems like it's hardly a new problem.

Guess we can just file it along with mass shootings, non-medical/religious mass circumcisions, bankruptable heathcare, tipping, pet declawing, and emotional support animals as uniquely wonderful 'Murcanisms.
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

T18

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:26 pm

DL717 wrote:
All the effing time. FCC needs to kill this crap. My favorites are “this is Internal Revenue Service” and “this is Microsoft”. Jerk them around when I’m not doing anything. It always ends with them hanging up or me telling them I retired early and their career prospects don’t look so hot given he/she is a telemarketer.

I once put a tech scammer on next to a speaker playing whatever podcast I was listening to. They tried for about 15 minutes to scam a recorded podcast before they hung up.
There was also the time (around the same as the first iirc) they called claiming they had an error from my Grandfathers computer, I mentioned how odd that was as he had neither owned a computer nor was he still alive, the scammer didn't even break his script and kept at it, at which point I bluntly told him he was trying to call a dead man and to sod off.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

WarRI1

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:54 am

I am at the point where I do not answer at all unless it is from someone I know by the caller Id where it plainly ids the caller by name. Do not know it, do not answer. The volumn of calls is still aggravating though.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Erebus

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:29 am

bgm wrote:
Is this a predominantly US problem? I've only experienced it when I got a sim card in the US, not anywhere else (and I've used dozens of sim cards/phone numbers over the years in various countries without ever getting these).

I don't know how bad it is in the US. But maybe it is catching on in Canada. I've heard everything from taxes owed, debt, blocked credit cards, online banking login "reconfirmations", lottery wins, microsoft "help", and probably the most hilarious one - immigration enforcers at your doorstep, pay up before they detain you!

DocLightning

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:52 am

Aaron747 wrote:

12 times yesterday between 8AM and 9AM.

I can't shut off my phone because hospitals call me on it. It needs to stop.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DL717

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:28 pm

Irony of this thread.... I had a message yesterday afternoon while I was out. They called to tell me that my Social Security number had been cancelled. I really could have had some fun with that one.

DL717

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:31 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Create a contact, call it scammer (or a-holes), then block the contact. Every time you get one, add it to the contact. It does help. Especially on a cell.

northstardc4m

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:57 pm

Unfortunately due to how the phone system works... no they aren't going away or even going to get better.

The problem is the phone system was never intended to deal with number spoofing, super codes and caller ID cloning, nor was number cloning supposed to be something non-carrier entities were supposed to be able to do, yet here we are. The biggest problem is, the scammers especially, buy numbers to use them a few dozen or hundred times via VoIP or other software access, then drop them and move on to new ones. These numbers may be open ("unused" probably owned by a VoIP operator or some such) or cloned... or the new pain "supercode" numbers that just break the system (number the system sees dialed from will be something like 0119102848800015555555555, but your call display probably will only show 1-555-555-5555) and the true number is nothing like either one.

Worse, if your number get cloned by these shits then you are likely going to get calls from people asking why you called them... Yup... :banghead:

I only spent 14 years dealing with this stuff... :knockout:
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

DocLightning

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:47 pm

DL717 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Create a contact, call it scammer (or a-holes), then block the contact. Every time you get one, add it to the contact. It does help. Especially on a cell.

They literally never call from the same number twice.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DL717

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:30 pm

DocLightning wrote:
DL717 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

They literally never call from the same number twice.

Lucky you. :banghead:

ER757

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:07 pm

alex0easy wrote:
Sometimes I answer them and just put the phone away (on speaker if I'm alone) and do what I have been doing. No hello, no talking.
You called me, so you speak first.
It's absolutely hilarious sometimes hearing what that guy/computer can say. I've had a computer (robot) keep saying "I didn't catch the last part. Can you repeat it?" when I've said absolutely nothing. The sound being picked up is me typing on my keyboard.

I usually blow my duck call into the receiver for about 10 seconds then hang up. Or, I will just answer and hang up immediately so the robot doesn't leave me a voice mail. Although I have read that if you answer the phone, then the system that's calling knows they have a live number and will call again, so who knows?
They're annoying as hell regardless.

kellyon

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:56 am

I hate all these scam calls, I think they should be restricted.

N757ST

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:29 pm

The worst are when you are the number they used to spoof someone else. I got a call last week from an irate, and ignorant, woman from Philadelphia telling me to “stop calling her mother f’er” etc. I tried to calmly explain it happens to me too but I’m just as much a victim but she just kept on it how she’s going to call the cops on me etc. I finally just hung up and ignored the next 8 calls and voicemails calling me all kinds of names.

LittleSprocket

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:38 pm

I used to get all sorts of spam calls but to be honest I haven’t received an unsolicited call in nearly 2 months. I think there is action being done by the telecom companies to reduce this call volume. T-Mobile for instance is working on a way to license phone numbers with encrypted keys (only available between T-Mobile customers currently) so that your phone or their system will block any call not encrypted with the key...

There is certainly some work being done to combat this issue, it just takes time to roll out without all the bugs. Like for Doc up above, can you imagine the fallout if a medical or first responder got legit emergency calls blocked because of the telecom agencies?

Needless to say, this is what the FCC is saying about them currently.
https://www.fcc.gov/about-fcc/fcc-initi ... s-spoofing

zakuivcustom

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:18 pm

bgm wrote:

While I was in HK I've got a few of those also (They're mainly scam calls either paying up in "Points card" or wired some money into some accounts in mainland PRC), although not as crazy as when I'm in US, since I received those literally every single day (usually the Chinese one saying how it's a call from Fedex and how I got a package being detained somewhere).

I've got a few calls (that I didn't answer) from Bermuda also. Guess they're calling me to inform that I got millions in some account in a Bermudan Bank that IRS is coming after :white: .
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

Spar

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:41 pm

I regularly get calls with a harsh rat-a-tat Chinese language voice.

Does anybody know what they're saying? I'd love to know.

seb146

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:28 am

I just got a call from Mexico yesterday. I did not answer. I was curious and hope they call back. I am not calling Mexico! International is expensive!

The phone number started +52 33.

I have also received calls from San Francisco from (I guess) Chinese speaking people. I figure it just comes with having a Sonoma County based number.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

TWA772LR

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:38 am

It's gotten to the point where I do answer and if the line is manned I tell them to take me off their list and hang up immediately.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

mad99

Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:20 am

In spain the latest is they ring your mobile and as soon you answer they hang up hoping you’ll ring back. A get a couple a week

gunsontheroof

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:44 am

I don't think I've gotten one since I had a landline years ago. I know people who have gotten fraulent calls from "banks" demanding account numbers or social security numbers, but I've never gotten such a call myself.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.