Airstud
Topic Author

I have begun reading stuff

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:59 am

I'm not embarrassed by my habit of tuning in to Minneapolis's Channel 5.2 at 1am on weeknights to catch two consecutive Family Guy reruns.

I am less approving of my habit of leaving the tube on for an additional hour, not so much because I think lowly of King of the Hill (I don't), or all that lowly of American Dad (meh), but because... well blame it, for a two-pronged reason: The distal one is that it's too much brain-rotting television, dammit; but to be honest the proximal reason is the incessant locally produced plugs for all of the other syndicated reruns this channel airs at other parts of the weekday. The exact same unfunny 5-second clips from Mike and Molly (which I've never seen (or planned to)) and Friends have infested my den for long enough. I dozed off one night about a week ago, woke up to the 400th airing of such a nauseating plug for whichever disastrous show and was finally nauseated by the situation I had allowed.

A couple of years ago I was browsing in a Barnes&Noble and stumbled upon The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, was as wowed as i was supposed to be by the effusive plaudits on the cover and inside flaps, and put it on my "Gonna Read {*snort* yeah right} list. One of the reviews mentioned Michael Chabon's earlier, imperfect novels and said that with Kavalier & Clay he seemed "to have finally found a canvas big enough for his talents." Wanting to know what prompted the reviewer to feel that way about Chabon's talents whilst still obviously having some quarrels with the prior works, I put both of them - The Mysteries of Pittsburgh and Wonder Boys - on my infamous "Gonna Read" list.

Finally spurred to action by the emetic TV fare I'd been filling my nights with, I dutifully read The Mysteries of Pittsburgh last week. Honestly I didn't quite care for it, I found it an uninteresting, un-endearing tale of spoiled middle-class post-college disaffection that frustrates the reader with tangential mentions of the protagonist's father's ties to organized crime but never delivers the piquant crime stories such mentions tantalize us with. However, it's still a novel and not a 120-minute plug for a sitcom about a fat guy, so I'm still glad I read it. Also I'm glad I read it because I paid money for it..

Also untouched on my bookshelf were The Collected Short Stories of W. Somerset Maugham, Volume I. After giving my brain a day off from having finished a whole novel, I tackled the first story, which is called "Rain" and is set in Pago Pago, American Samoa!

Not sure if I'm ready to tackle the second story ("The Fall of Edward Barnaby") but before bed last night I knocked out the first two chapters of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - also on my bookshelf, also cost me money some months, maybe a year or so ago, also a book I declared I'm "gonna read" and also - wait for it - completely untouched.

I'm still watching my Family Guy reruns. Last night, I admit, I then sat there and watched King of the Hill, and with no regrets: it was a really good episode. But I'm balancing things out more now; not replacing all of my non-literary pastimes with reading but rather making sure I put a couple of hours or a couple of chapters' worth of quality reading into my day.

It's early days but nonetheless I feel good about that.
Pancakes are delicious.

vikkyvik

Re: I have begun reading stuff

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:59 pm

I watch Family Guy reruns all the time.

King of the Hill is pretty funny, though I don't really watch it.

American Dad...not a fan.

Recently, I finally read The Hunt for Red October and Clear and Present Danger. In an odd reversal of typical opinion for me, I think I like the movie versions better.

I have some other books sitting at home that I still haven't read. I don't recall what they are.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

TSS

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:17 pm

If you have never read them before, you owe it to yourself to read "The Jungle Books". What Disney covered in their typical saccharine and "sanitized for your protection" fashion in the animated version was a very small fraction of what was originally a two-volume collection of short stories, only about half of which involve Mowgli.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

seb146

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:36 pm

I am on year seven of trying to read Little Women. I am midway through Chapter Five. I bought a copy of Gaston Leroux's Phantom Of The Opera but have yet to crack it open.

The final season of Modern Family begins in two weeks and Thomas just woke from his coma on Bold And The Beautiful so his contract negotiations went well.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:28 am

Four or five pages into Chapter IV of The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test, I'm starting to think, "Oh, nice to see you again, James Joyce."
Pancakes are delicious.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:08 am

I read about 2 hardcover non-fiction books a week. This week it’s The Economists’ Hour and The Walls have Ears. The first is an economic history of the post-war era, very good. I don’t agree with it all, but interesting. Anyone who thinks the Laffer Curve was the origination of supply-side theory needs to read up on Walter Heller and JFK. The second is how the British MI6 spied on and got senior Nazi officers to blab into hidden microphones. The Brits wines and dined the POWs, even taking them into London, then listened to them tell tales to their fellow prisoners. Clever and shows how great interrogators work.

Last week, it was James Holland’s Normandy ‘44, very good, too.

GF

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:50 am

TSS wrote:
If you have never read them before, you owe it to yourself to read "The Jungle Books". What Disney covered in their typical saccharine and "sanitized for your protection" fashion in the animated version was a very small fraction of what was originally a two-volume collection of short stories, only about half of which involve Mowgli.

You sure "saccharine" and "sanitized" are the right words to use, when Disney's objective was clearly just to create quality children's cinema? :boggled:

vikkyvik wrote:
I have some other books sitting at home that I still haven't read. I don't recall what they are.

Gross.
Pancakes are delicious.

readytotaxi

Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:00 am

Charles Dickens is always a good read, we don't encourage children to read books enough.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

TSS

Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:33 am

Airstud wrote:
TSS wrote:

You sure "saccharine" and "sanitized" are the right words to use, when Disney's objective was clearly just to create quality children's cinema? :boggled:

I'd say so, yes, especially when taking material from books that were never intended as "children's" books and removing references to everyday facts of life within the situations depicted.

FatCat

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:16 pm

I'm deep into early to 80's Sci-Fi.
Right now I'm reading Invasion of the body snatchers for the second time.
Last two were Ninteen-Eighty-Four and Away from the silent planet.
Here we have a monthy collection of Sci-Fi novels sold at newsstands called "Urania", of which I'm an avid reader.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

Airstud
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:52 am

Now I have finished reading "The Fall of Edward Barnard," the second of Maugham's Collected Short Stories ("short?" :boggled: ) and I also rather enjoyed it.

I think the folks who first decided to publish this Maugham fellow might have been on to something...
Pancakes are delicious.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:18 am

I continue making my way through The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. When Tom Wolfe died a few years ago I decided I'd durn well read The Bonfire of the Vanities as I'd been "planning to" for a long time, Then for some reason the more I read about Wolfe the more important it seemed that I read Acid Test first, and I went and plumb bought a copy off of Amazon without giving it another thought. I don't think I'd have bought it if I'd known it was non-fiction. They say Wolfe pioneered the "nonfiction novel." It's a term I object to.

I also object to nearly half of the characters in the book and I think at least 80% of their actions; I furthermore understand that rousing the objection of affluent, gainfully employed 40-somethings was what they were all setting out to do in the first place. What's a little bit interesting to me is that these youths came from affluence and were able to pull off their cross-country road trip (I think I'm on Chapter VIII) and other playful indulgences without having to have a job. I left home at 18 and have been working for my living ever since, living at first a genuinely spartan lifestyle of the type their ilk claimed to respect, claimed to champion, if not belong to; that's a true story I can tell about myself, now the sort of person whom the Merry Pranksters in reality would look down on as Establishment.

Maybe that's not interesting.

Anyway, I continue to repent what my TV habit has led to, and there's also the fact that I freaking spent money at some point on these untouched volumes in my bookcase, one of which is End Zone by Don DeLillo. That one I am quite enjoying, and not just because it's not the "f__-you, reader, we're tripping" that Acid Test is, but because it is truly interesting and amusing. I like the dry, academic conversations these football players have among themselves; they are not stereotypical dumb-jocks, there are no locker-room vulgarities.

I've finished the first eighteen chapters, which together constitute "Part I." "Part II" conistst entirely of Chapter 19. :boggled:

Also, it's easy to read because the chapters are short.

Why is it easier to read 18 three- or four- page chapters than it is to read one 18-page chapter?
Pancakes are delicious.

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:50 am

I don't like to watch T.V which is kind of hard when my husband wants to watch the news for two hours a night.
I usually just go to bed early and have google play read a book to me Sometimes I switch it up and watch Netflix trending stuff. I just watched the traitors. I am now halfway through Cat's Cradle. audiobook. I keep having to re-read chapters, cause I fall asleep, but this book so good, I don't mind re-reading.

bennett123

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:42 pm

Only thing about Dickens, is some of it is quite hard hitting.

For example, Oliver Twist is not like the book.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:14 pm

bennett123 wrote:

Er.... the book is Oliver Twist. :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

TSS

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:05 pm

Airstud wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

Er.... the book is Oliver Twist. :boggled:

Yeah, if you read the book Oliver Twist expecting the characters to burst into song & dance routines every few minutes you'll probably be disappointed. Lack of song & dance routines aside, on the whole I liked David Copperfield better anyway.