Airstud
Topic Author

Vendor-specific laptop features

Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:50 am

It seems I shall have to acquire a "new" (used, from eBay) laptop and I think I've got my eye on a nice little Samsung thing.

I've got two HP elitebook 6930's, and unsurprisingly, I can network them together over an ad-hoc WiFi link, but some errant, abstract thing - from the early 90's or before - is stuck in my mind, saying that the "reason" they interconnect so well is that they're both HP. (I bloody well know that Windows, TCP/IP, and WiFi are why they connect easily and that none of these things are what you'd call exclusive to HP's manufactures.)

I think what's stuck in my mind is IRTalk, Apple's first implementation of infrared data transfer which was available on some PowerBooks back in 1991 I think. Shortly after that, IRda became a widely adopted standard for IR communication which Apple themselves ended up favoring over IRTalk. I remember finding the whole enterprise of infrared transfers exceedingly nifty at the time.

Also Sony had this thing called TransferJet, which I discovered because I had one of their digital cameras that was equipped with it. Similar to NFC - and often confused with it - TransferJet allowed super-high-speed data transfers by requiring extreme proximity (like a couple of millimeters) between devices, lessening security concerns and eliminating the need for encryption (the way Sony told it, anyway :boggled: ). Some Sony laptops were equipped with TransferJet, and I think there were USB TransferJet adapters available for a time but TransferJet apparently didn't catch on. I don't even know if two Sony laptops could transfer files that way, or if it was just for camera-to-laptop transmissions.

So... if my stable o' used laptops gets a Samsung in the mix... is it going to be able to link to, say, a Galaxy S10, or another Samsung laptop (regardless of OS), or... I don't know, a Samsung fridge... in ways unique to Samsung equipment?

Any other manufacturer-specific hardware features or connectivity shortcuts anyone knows about?

(Not sure why I'm going on about this, I think it's off of having four consecutive 12-hour workdays. :boggled: )

(I think this is all issuing from my preference for vintage Apple equipment (yes, IRTalk-equipped), from the late 80's and early 90's, when their industrial design was more unique, more about design than about being shiny and slick.)
Pancakes are delicious.

alfa164

Re: Vendor-specific laptop features

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:04 pm

I am a fan of the Samsung Series 9 laptops - their equivalent of the MacBook Air - and have three of them. I have never seen anything that includes a direct link to any other Samsung equipment.

Maybe that is because I don't use a Samsung phone - or maybe it simply isn't there.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Aesma

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:03 pm

I prefer my computers hand built (big tower types), laptops are used out of necessity, and provided by my company, so my choice is limited, and only from Dell.

I'm not aware of any specific way to connect them, nowadays you have gigabit ethernet (well, you can, I don't as my laptop is too thin) and wifi N as standard that are plenty fast, the latest wifi cards can do about 10Gbps, and next year it will be 20 !

For smartphones, where I'm a Samsung user (and it's what my company gives me, too), there is the Samsung Smart Switch app, which allows to copy everything from an old phone to a new phone, quite useful, although it doesn't use any specific hardware.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

BlueberryWheats

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:54 am

Speaking of Samsung and laptops... has anyone else used DeX? Samsung's cool little bit of software that displays your phone on a computer screen so you can use it but with a desktop interface rather than mobile.

I've just got a Note 10, and of course plugged it into the laptop to see what DeX is all about. Looks good, and may be useful to some, but I've just not had time to have a proper tinker with it yet.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:35 am

Speaking of HP elitebook 6930's, which kind of FireWire cable can be used to... well, connect the two by FireWire. I know bubkes about FireWire, but I apparently thought I knew more when I bought a cable off of Amazon and then found out the connectors are way too wide to fit the 6930's FireWire ports.

I know everyone out there is eager for me to add FireWire to my List of Connectivity Technologies I Have Used Between Portable Electronics, so help me to do right by you guys...
Pancakes are delicious.