MaverickM11
Topic Author

Trump cancels secret meeting with Taliban leaders, Afghan president after attack

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:54 pm

President Trump announced Saturday he had canceled a planned secret meeting with leaders of the Taliban and Afghanistan's president at Camp David after Taliban leadership claimed credit for a deadly attack in Kabul.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... -president

Can you imagine early 2000 republicans negotiating with the Taliban at Camp David? The new GOP motto is "we will not negotiate with terrorists". By the way "mission accomplished" for Iraq (and Afghanistan) was celebrated 16 years ago. In 2003.

And of course there's always a tweet:

Last edited by SQ22 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title was misleading
E pur si muove -Galileo

seb146

Re: Taliban not coming to Camp David anymore. Sad!

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:17 am

That means those leaders would have already been in the United States. We need to keep calling out his lies and craziness but it is exhausting. Every day, sometimes multiple times a day, it is something else. November 2020 can not come soon enough.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aaron747

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:35 am

Inviting Taliban to Camp David days before 9/11...classy. Meanwhile the DOJ has asked for an extension on blocking public release of Saudi names in a 9/11 victims’ lawsuit. Shaping up to be another great week!
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

alfa164

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:39 am

When I saw the topic: "Taliban not coming to Camp David anymore"... I thought Mike Pence had been banned from the presidential retreat...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

seb146

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:34 am

There is so much about this story that needs to be questioned. So many points need to be researched and people need to use critical thinking and ask questions. These same people are saying "do your research and get all the facts" but they do not do that themselves.

I wonder how many days of denying the denial we will have to endure.....

TWA772LR

Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:14 am

I hate commenting on Trump threads but it's disappointing to see the leader my home nation trying to negotiate with terrorists.

Just pull out of Afghanistan but leave around the clock drone strikes and call it a day.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

casinterest

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:28 am

Is he trying to get impeached ?
Where ever you go, there you are.

GDB

Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:20 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
President Trump announced Saturday he had canceled a planned secret meeting with leaders of the Taliban and Afghanistan's president at Camp David after Taliban leadership claimed credit for a deadly attack in Kabul.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... -president

Can you imagine early 2000 republicans negotiating with the Taliban at Camp David? The new GOP motto is "we will not negotiate with terrorists". By the way "mission accomplished" for Iraq (and Afghanistan) was celebrated 16 years ago. In 2003.

And of course there's always a tweet:

Yes, very easy to imagine Trump and the Taliban since it has been 50 years of GOP talking to the enemies of the US.
In the 1968 election Nixon's team secretly scuppered talks with North Vietnam, since even a temporary cease fire would make his election running on the platform he was, less likely.
That really is treason, he wasn't yet even elected let alone in office.
Wonder how many American that killed?

Then we come to the Iran Hostage Crisis, Reagan's Transition Team were also secretly talking to the Iranians, not revealed until years later, again not yet in office and hey presto, the hostages released when he took office. No way the Iranian revolutionaries would do that for nothing, so what did they get?
But that was just the start. In the 1980's there was a wave of kidnappings in Lebanon of Westerners. Later in the decade the US ones were getting released but not the Europeans.

Iran-Contra revealed why, Reagan's team did a deal with the Iranian sponsors of the terrorists, arms to the very nation Bolton still rants on about.
All the while lambasting Europeans for being 'soft' on terrorism (which they largely were not, since the European hostages were not released until the early 1990's only after those holding them realized they were not going to get anything for them).

So no, not surprised, all that faux 'U-S-A' bullshit they drum up, all those claims about being the ones to keep American secure. That's for consumption by the gullible and generally poorly informed.

chimborazo

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:17 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
I hate commenting on Trump threads but it's disappointing to see the leader my home nation trying to negotiate with terrorists.

Just pull out of Afghanistan but leave around the clock drone strikes and call it a day.

Then who are the terrorists? I pulling out it’s because the job is done, so leaving drones is just a terror weapon for the sake of it. Do something for a legitimate reason or leave it alone completely.

It’s disappointing that a statesman who actually seems to have the ability to get the other side talking is then so childish in response at times. Yes it’s sad another soldier was killed... true statesmen rose above that and see the benefit in finishing these horrendous wars.

mham001

Re: Trump cancels secret meeting with Taliban leaders, Afghan president after attack

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:03 pm

IIRC, Trump was elected on the promise he was getting us out of middle east wars.

Duly noted the usual kneejerks who have attacked him without thought in this thread. The same who loudly and repeatedly have called Trump a "war monger" for years.

So what should he do in Afghanistan? Send more troops to defeat them? Pull out and leave Afghani's to fend off the Taliban for themselves? Or negotiate some settlement before leaving. You all tell the class how it should be done. Go on...

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Re: Trump cancels secret meeting with Taliban leaders, Afghan president after attack

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:11 pm

mham001 wrote:
IIRC, Trump was elected on the promise he was getting us out of middle east wars.

How's that workin' out for ya?

mham001 wrote:
Duly noted the usual kneejerks who have attacked him without thought in this thread. The same who loudly and repeatedly have called Trump a "war monger" for years.

He wanted to nuke a hurricane. You are in no position to accuse anyone of being 'without thought'. It would be a small miracle of your party and leader had *a* rational thought.

GDB wrote:
Yes, very easy to imagine Trump and the Taliban since it has been 50 years of GOP talking to the enemies of the US.

All true. I assumed 'negotiating with terrorists' was part of their coming out of the white supremacist glass closet process--just something they say out loud now.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Aaron747

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:41 pm

mham001 wrote:

So what should he do in Afghanistan? Send more troops to defeat them? Pull out and leave Afghani's to fend off the Taliban for themselves? Or negotiate some settlement before leaving. You all tell the class how it should be done. Go on...

I have not called him a war-monger, but he is wihout thought on a grand scale.

As for solution, easy: since KSA has been so busy funding fundie madrassas from the Gulf to Indonesia, they can take over getting Afghanistan stabilized, cleaned up, and terror free. If they refuse, no more tacit GCC support, arms sales, and aftermarket services for their air force. And for added incentive - we’ll unmask their officials in the 9/11 lawsuit if they don’t follow through.
Last edited by Aaron747 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

mham001

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:50 pm

chimborazo wrote:

Then who are the terrorists? I pulling out it’s because the job is done, so leaving drones is just a terror weapon for the sake of it. Do something for a legitimate reason or leave it alone completely.

It’s disappointing that a statesman who actually seems to have the ability to get the other side talking is then so childish in response at times. Yes it’s sad another soldier was killed... true statesmen rose above that and see the benefit in finishing these horrendous wars.

You didn't really believe you got the whole story from the OP? LOL

Here are more details about the whole situation today....
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/08/worl ... david.html

Taliban Talks Hit a Wall Over Deeper Disagreements, Officials Say
In response to the Taliban attacks, the American negotiators had made clear that they were prioritizing the finalization of the agreement, not a boycott of the talks.

seb146

Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:58 pm

mham001 wrote:
chimborazo wrote:

You didn't really believe you got the whole story from the OP? LOL

Here are more details about the whole situation today....
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/08/worl ... david.html

Taliban Talks Hit a Wall Over Deeper Disagreements, Officials Say
In response to the Taliban attacks, the American negotiators had made clear that they were prioritizing the finalization of the agreement, not a boycott of the talks.

The article makes him sound desperate for a win. ANY win. He is meeting with a known terrorist group who is fighting against the government we installed in Afghanistan. How is this going to make the leaders of our installed government there feel? Will this make our troops there more or less safe?

scbriml

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:25 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
You have nothing but a map with a sharpie and a cat and laser pointer and some love letters from Kim Jong Un.

How is the love-in with NK going? Anything from the Tweeter-in-Chief about NK's latest round of missile tests?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ltbewr

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:48 pm

As bad as the Taliban is, they are in reality the 'government' of a significant part of the population in Afghanistan. I also have to wonder if this was an intentionally phony negotiation. Only a few hard core 'liberal' American politician want us to withdraw from Afghanistan as would be seen as 'the terrorist won' like 'the commies won' as well as a very ugly final days in our withdrawal from Vietnam (under Republican Pres.Nixon) and hurt the Republican party in both cases. The USA also wants to keep China from becoming as Afghanistan's main economic, investment and trade partner, especially as to mineral extraction needed for their industry.

BN747

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:28 pm

'Secret Talks'.....uh huh.

Chase today's shiny ball, people.

Who besides one of his loyal fans would hold faith/stock in anything the fool says?

And who outside his groupies 'believes he can negotiate 'anything at all'?
ALL his negotiations have ended in disaster for America, the only question is...if this farce was 'real', what would he have given away to the Taliban.

Would 'love letters' have been exchanged? (oh yeah! .. winner there!)
He has no cultural understanding of these people, their/our history, etc. He certainly hasn't read anything...so what would he have offered.

That alone...should scare you. Were any of it 'real' to begin with....which it isn't.

A proven Pathological Liar...who believes them?

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

WIederling

Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:23 am

Murphy is an optimist

einsteinboricua

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:28 pm

Notice how he's saying that HE canceled the meeting. Throwing his National Security team under the bus...as if they were the ones that facilitated everything, but he stepped in and said no.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

zakuivcustom

Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:14 pm

What's there to negotiate? Stop attacks and Trump will invest in Afghanistan and build Trump Hotel and Resort Kabul?

And quite frankly, if Trump really wants out of this, just let the troops leave and let the gov't force and Taliban duke it out. That's of course not going to happen with the hawks in US gov't.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:03 pm

mham001 wrote:
So what should he do in Afghanistan? Send more troops to defeat them?

He knows more the generals, so you tell me what the brilliant republican plan is to end the Afghan war (republicans started to defeat the Taliban 20 years ago---oops!).
E pur si muove -Galileo

Aaron747

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:56 am

mham001 wrote:

So were you actually interested in suggestions from
myself and others in this thread, or was that just posturing..?