User avatar
seb146
Topic Author
Posts: 20474
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:28 am

State political parties cancelling primaries or caucuses is nothing new. Usually, it is because the incumbent has no serious challengers.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/ ... rs-1483126

The state Republican parties in Nevada, Arizona, South Carolina, and Kansas decided there are no serious challengers. Joe Walsh and Bill Weld are running for the GOP nomination. Weld seems like a moderate and serious candidate. With poll numbers being what they are and the constant rants and craziness from the White House, I wonder what this will do to the GOP this election cycle?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:52 am

I would complain, but there is precedent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Demo ... _primaries
Four states canceled their respective Democratic primaries altogether, citing Obama being the only candidate to qualify on their respective ballot: Connecticut,[16] Delaware,[17] New York,[18] and Virginia.[19]


Of course Obama was actually a good representative of what his party platform actually said.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
seb146
Topic Author
Posts: 20474
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:08 pm

casinterest wrote:
I would complain, but there is precedent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Demo ... _primaries
Four states canceled their respective Democratic primaries altogether, citing Obama being the only candidate to qualify on their respective ballot: Connecticut,[16] Delaware,[17] New York,[18] and Virginia.[19]


Of course Obama was actually a good representative of what his party platform actually said.


This is why I find this odd. I know other states cancelled primaries and caucuses for presidents running again. They were cancelled because of broad support and/or no serious challengers and/or challengers who did not meet state requirements to be on the ballots. This year seems very different. There are Republicans who regret voting for the orange one the first time and would rather see a moderate or someone with actual leadership skills running. Couple this with some states telling candidates they must show tax returns to appear on the state ballot, this could get ugly but hopefully save the Republic.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
LittleSprocket
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:56 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:20 pm

Funny how this is an issue but mandating that tax returns be released in order to make it on the ballots in most left leaning states isn’t... want to try again because your bias is showing.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 9535
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:22 pm

Soooo...you are against states’ rights when they work against this WH..?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9824
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:44 pm

Ah ok, it is about US Republican politics. Perhaps the title could reflect that?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
seb146
Topic Author
Posts: 20474
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:58 pm

LittleSprocket wrote:
Funny how this is an issue but mandating that tax returns be released in order to make it on the ballots in most left leaning states isn’t... want to try again because your bias is showing.


Tax returns was never an issue until the failed businessman decided it was an issue. Each state has their own right to set rules about presidential nominees. The four states cancelling their Republican primaries is not normally an issue. If he were more popular, I could understand and this thread would not exist. With the number of elected officials resigning from the Republican party and the number of Republicans in Congress not running again, it is something worth discussing.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
seb146
Topic Author
Posts: 20474
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Ah ok, it is about US Republican politics. Perhaps the title could reflect that?


GOP has always meant Republican.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9824
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:24 pm

seb146 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Ah ok, it is about US Republican politics. Perhaps the title could reflect that?


GOP has always meant Republican.


That might be so, but not every non-American follow American politics so closely as to know that by heart. ;)
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 17506
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:24 pm

Speaking of South Carolina:
Mark Sanford announces Trump primary challenge: GOP 'has lost our way'
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mark-s ... st-our-way

Awkward!
E pur si muove -Galileo
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11738
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:13 pm

Personally I feel the whole concept of the election being on a state by state basis is ridiculous and undemocratic, but once you accept it, then all bets are off.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
seb146
Topic Author
Posts: 20474
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:41 pm

Aesma wrote:
Personally I feel the whole concept of the election being on a state by state basis is ridiculous and undemocratic, but once you accept it, then all bets are off.


I think each state having separate elections and making candidates appeal to each state is a good idea. I do not like that the primaries and caucuses are all different days.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:10 am

Aesma wrote:
Personally I feel the whole concept of the election being on a state by state basis is ridiculous and undemocratic, but once you accept it, then all bets are off.


You'd like Russia then.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
johnboy
Posts: 3053
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 9:09 pm

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:19 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Personally I feel the whole concept of the election being on a state by state basis is ridiculous and undemocratic, but once you accept it, then all bets are off.


You'd like Russia then.


Well, The POTUS and the Senate Majority Follower do.
So why not?
 
BN747
Posts: 6623
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:27 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Speaking of South Carolina:
Mark Sanford announces Trump primary challenge: GOP 'has lost our way'
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mark-s ... st-our-way

Awkward!


Yeah, WTF is that all about?

A guy no one knows, no one cares about, no notoriety of any kind (except his disappearance act from public office - still a bullshit official story IMO)...announces he's running ... why?

His eyes are way to close together, making it difficult to look at him after a minute...yet he thinks he has something to offer that America wants - from him.

He just stole 'the Most Useless, Pointless Candidate' title from Marianne Williams.


BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
User avatar
seb146
Topic Author
Posts: 20474
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:51 am

BN747 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Speaking of South Carolina:
Mark Sanford announces Trump primary challenge: GOP 'has lost our way'
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mark-s ... st-our-way

Awkward!


Yeah, WTF is that all about?

A guy no one knows, no one cares about, no notoriety of any kind (except his disappearance act from public office - still a bullshit official story IMO)...announces he's running ... why?

His eyes are way to close together, making it difficult to look at him after a minute...yet he thinks he has something to offer that America wants - from him.

He just stole 'the Most Useless, Pointless Candidate' title from Marianne Williams.


BN747


And he admitted he lied and admitted to his affair. Which makes him a bigger man and is what the current occupant of the White House fears.

I know both primaries are a ways down the road, but I am going to stock up on popcorn.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
BN747
Posts: 6623
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:19 am

seb146 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Speaking of South Carolina:
Mark Sanford announces Trump primary challenge: GOP 'has lost our way'
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mark-s ... st-our-way

Awkward!


Yeah, WTF is that all about?

A guy no one knows, no one cares about, no notoriety of any kind (except his disappearance act from public office - still a bullshit official story IMO)...announces he's running ... why?

His eyes are way to close together, making it difficult to look at him after a minute...yet he thinks he has something to offer that America wants - from him.

He just stole 'the Most Useless, Pointless Candidate' title from Marianne Williams.


BN747


And he admitted he lied and admitted to his affair. Which makes him a bigger man and is what the current occupant of the White House fears.

I know both primaries are a ways down the road, but I am going to stock up on popcorn.....


I personally am suspect of the ambiguity of the whole 'the story'...personally sense that he's lying about his 'Argentine secret lover'...
I think he pulled a Peña Nieto (ex-Mexico prez) as in...the Argentine GF serves as the cover for his actual Argentine BoyFriend.

Mexicans were saying before Peña Nieto was deep gay and pulled in the tv actress as his wife to 'look normal' to the catholic faithful - now skipping across Europe with his new BF (kicked her to the curb) on Mexican Taxpayers millions.

Sanford has a deep creep factor in his 'appearance.'...so what will be his charm factor?
Speeches? He's said nothing any remembers except his yarn about the Appalachian Trail bullshit.
Solutions? Ummmm...haven't heard any from him.
Past actions? Well, we know he'll pick up and bail without notice in a heartbeat.

...I dunno, not a clue what he has to offer.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 11738
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:57 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Personally I feel the whole concept of the election being on a state by state basis is ridiculous and undemocratic, but once you accept it, then all bets are off.


You'd like Russia then.


All I know (and need to know) about the Russian system is that in the end, Putin wins.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 7504
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:21 pm

casinterest wrote:
I would complain, but there is precedent.

There is precedent when the candidate is running completely unopposed. It makes sense, obviously, to save money. But fact is that Trump is NOT running unopposed. Sanford, Weld, and Walsh may be token candidates with a snowball's chance in hell, but they're candidates nonetheless.

Larry Sabato posed the scenario where in one of the initial states, one of these token candidates earns enough support that they can be a good challenger (say NH, where it's an open primary and independents can weigh in). A candidate that exceeds expectations can actually make a statement on Super Tuesday since their campaign can be viable.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Four States Cancel GOP Primaries

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:35 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
casinterest wrote:
I would complain, but there is precedent.

There is precedent when the candidate is running completely unopposed. It makes sense, obviously, to save money. But fact is that Trump is NOT running unopposed. Sanford, Weld, and Walsh may be token candidates with a snowball's chance in hell, but they're candidates nonetheless.

Larry Sabato posed the scenario where in one of the initial states, one of these token candidates earns enough support that they can be a good challenger (say NH, where it's an open primary and independents can weigh in). A candidate that exceeds expectations can actually make a statement on Super Tuesday since their campaign can be viable.


The GOP is not about process. It is about power and bending rules to their benefit. Unfortunately many unfortunate Americans are not seeing the horrible path the GOP is currently on.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aaron747, anrec80, FGITD, luisjumper, Palop, SanDiegoLover, T18 and 18 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos