ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Empire State Building 102nd Floor Renovation

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Does anyone know what the status of the renovation of the 102nd floor observation deck of the Empire State Building in New York City is and if an opening date has been announced. Also, what will the observation deck look like when the renovation is complete.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

(Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:30 pm

What exactly has made the Sydney Opera House a world famous landmark and tourist attraction and has any price of popular culture has an influence on this. Also, was there heavy talk of the Sydney Opera House in the news and in travel ads including those done by airlines and tour companies.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Iconic Status of the Sydney Opera House

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:49 pm

It’s a pretty building, it IS Sydney in many people. My former employer wanted pictures of its planes in a vivid show of its global range. Guess where—circling overhead the Opera House! It’s done enough that ATC has a plan for aerial photos over it. A corridor from the NE and a tight circle that avoids Kingsford Smith traffic. Fun couple of early mornings

Dutchy

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:57 pm

The Assessors Report of January 1957 wrote:
The drawings submitted for this scheme are simple to the point of being diagrammatic. Nevertheless, as we have returned again and again to the study of these drawings, we are convinced that they present a concept of an Opera House which is capable of becoming one of the great buildings of the world.

and

Peter Murray wrote:
... the two men—and their teams—enjoyed a collaboration that was remarkable in its fruitfulness and, despite many traumas, was seen by most of those involved in the project as a high point of architect/engineer collaboration.

Talking about such an iconic building without putting a picture up, let me help you with that.

To find out more about Utzon and his regination for designing the building.

Anyhow, most of the world knows it by heart and that is quite an achievement in itself. Thanks for sharing, sparked me into reading up on this iconic building.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:12 pm

Dutchy wrote:
The drawings submitted for this scheme are simple to the point of being diagrammatic. Nevertheless, as we have returned again and again to the study of these drawings, we are convinced that they present a concept of an Opera House which is capable of becoming one of the great buildings of the world.

and

Peter Murray wrote:
... the two men—and their teams—enjoyed a collaboration that was remarkable in its fruitfulness and, despite many traumas, was seen by most of those involved in the project as a high point of architect/engineer collaboration.

Talking about such an iconic building without putting a picture up, let me help you with that.

Anyhow, most of the world knows it by heart and that is quite an achievement in itself. Thanks for sharing, sparked me into reading up on this iconic building.

Was the Opera House heavily promoted in magazines around the time it first opened and was it's opening all over the news.

Dutchy

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:31 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

and

Peter Murray wrote:

Was the Opera House heavily promoted in magazines around the time it first opened and was it's opening all over the news.

I haven't got a clue, I wasn't alive back then :lol:

johns624

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:59 pm

I was surprised when I first saw it in person that it was a very light tan color. I had always thought that it was white. It looked like it in pictures.

prebennorholm

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:12 am

Half a mile from my home there is a gas station where the roof over the gas pumps was made by the same architect Mr. Jørn Utzon, looking not entirely dissimilar to the Sidney Opera House, and made with similar plywood structure.

A few years ago that roof was feared to collapse, if snow covered, or to blow away in a storm, due to rotten plywood, so the gas station decided to renew the roof with a standard roof like on all their other gas stations.

But the town council refused that plan. They demanded that a new roof similar to the Utzon design was built instead. And now we can again fill our cars at a gas station looking somewhat like a mini Sidney Opera House on the opposite side of planet Earth, 100 miles from Utzon's home instead of 10,000 miles.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Dutchy

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:26 am

prebennorholm wrote:
Half a mile from my home there is a gas station where the roof over the gas pumps was made by the same architect Mr. Jørn Utzon, looking not entirely dissimilar to the Sidney Opera House, and made with similar plywood structure.

A few years ago that roof was feared to collapse, if snow covered, or to blow away in a storm, due to rotten plywood, so the gas station decided to renew the roof with a standard roof like on all their other gas stations.

But the town council refused that plan. They demanded that a new roof similar to the Utzon design was built instead. And now we can again fill our cars at a gas station looking somewhat like a mini Sidney Opera House on the opposite side of planet Earth, 100 miles from Utzon's home instead of 10,000 miles.

interesting, do you have a picture?

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:57 am

Sydney is spelled, in Oz, with a y, not an i.

GF

prebennorholm

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:57 am

Dutchy wrote:

Have a look at this: http://kurthjørgensen.dk/utzon-statione ... historier/

and this: https://www.tvmidtvest.dk/artikel/efter ... al-bevares
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Ken777

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:52 am

I can remember a lot of comments when it was proposed - especially one about it looking like. bunch or orange peels.

The result is sufficiently close to the original idea to make it an international treasure, and I expect fully paid for by decades of tourists.,

The interesting aspect for me is that there are certain major achievements in architecture that become world famous because of the excellence of the design concept by brilliant architectures as well as the commitment to charity through to a final realization by the public.

The other (and newer) achievements is, for me, the Pyramid at the Louvre in Paris. The Pyramid had it's share of complaints., but is, like the Sydney Opera House known world wide.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:54 am

Ken777 wrote:
I can remember a lot of comments when it was proposed - especially one about it looking like. bunch or orange peels.

The result is sufficiently close to the original idea to make it an international treasure, and I expect fully paid for by decades of tourists.,

The interesting aspect for me is that there are certain major achievements in architecture that become world famous because of the excellence of the design concept by brilliant architectures as well as the commitment to charity through to a final realization by the public.

The other (and newer) achievements is, for me, the Pyramid at the Louvre in Paris. The Pyramid had it's share of complaints., but is, like the Sydney Opera House known world wide.

Were the Sydney Opera House and Louvre Pyramid openings all over the news when they occurred and were they heavily promoted in travel advertisments.

Dutchy

Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:02 am

prebennorholm wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Have a look at this: http://kurthjørgensen.dk/utzon-statione ... historier/

and this: https://www.tvmidtvest.dk/artikel/efter ... al-bevares

Nice very iconic indeed.

Dutchy

Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:04 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Ken777 wrote:

Were the Sydney Opera House and Louvre Pyramid openings all over the news when they occurred and were they heavily promoted in travel advertisments.

The Louvre Pyramids were in the news when they opened in the Netherlands at least. Indeed quite controversial, I like it and a good solution for a new entrance with respect to the building.

RyanairGuru

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:03 am

With all due respect to the Louvre I don't think that the pyramid has "iconic" status in the way that the Opera House does.

What makes the Opera House so iconic is not just the building itself, which is indeed unique and an engineering marvel, but the entire montage created by the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge backed by (IMHO) the most beautiful urban waterway in the world. It is a combination that is both seemless and incomparable.

On a beautiful summer day when the water is shimmering Sydney Harbour is a truly remarkable place.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

jupiter2

Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:37 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

and

Peter Murray wrote:

Yes it was a huge event in Sydney when it was opened by the Queen. The building itself is beautiful and very functional, but it is the location that tops it off. What was a tram depot (lord knows why state governments ever got rid of the tram network in Sydney) on what must be one of the most prime pieces of real estate in the world, was transformed into a magnificent building, that is world renown and thankfully, is in constant use with its many halls and theatres holding many and varied production every day. Probably best viewed from the water of a ferry service or harbour cruise, there are many vantage points available to photograph and admire the building, as well as being able to walk around it, inside it, take a tour through it, or see one of the shows on there.

Thank goodness it did turn out to be the iconic building it has become, it took so long to build as the original design was a tad overly ambitious and construction techniques struggled to replicate the original design, was way over budget, heavily criticised during construction, but it has since become synonymous with Sydney, as much as the bridge and the harbour that it sits next too.

Ken777

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:05 pm

jupiter2 wrote:
Probably best viewed from the water of a ferry service or harbour cruise, there are many vantage points available to photograph and admire the building, as well as being able to walk around it, inside it, take a tour through it, or see one of the shows on there.

Another great view is when arriving from overseas. You need to have a port side window but ATC will bring you in about as south as the airport, have the flight turn north and you go north for a few mile past the Harbor and Opera House. Great view and then the flight does a 180, taking you back, but this time west of the Opera House and Harbor.

It's not the most efficient approach when you consider the cost of fuel, but well worth it for the view. BTW, it has been too many years since I've flown there but I imagine that Qantas and ATC has maintained that approach.,

DaveFly

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:51 pm

Back in the day, we subscribed to the annual supplements of the World Book Encyclopedia. There was a big section devoted to the opera house construction. It’s hard to imagine now, but it was then considered a boondoggle — way over budget, an eyesore, and probably beyond any then-known construction techniques.
Now it’s synonymous with the city, NSW, and Australia as a whole!
The interior was designed by a different architect. The structure actually has not only an opera auditorium, but a symphony hall as well. And many opera productions are performed in the symphony hall, not the opera space, because of superior acoustics. Also, the opera space is now officially named the Dame Joan Sutherland Opera Theater — she was a world-renowned soprano, who coincidentally discovered Pavarotti.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:44 pm

Ken777 wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
Probably best viewed from the water of a ferry service or harbour cruise, there are many vantage points available to photograph and admire the building, as well as being able to walk around it, inside it, take a tour through it, or see one of the shows on there.

Another great view is when arriving from overseas. You need to have a port side window but ATC will bring you in about as south as the airport, have the flight turn north and you go north for a few mile past the Harbor and Opera House. Great view and then the flight does a 180, taking you back, but this time west of the Opera House and Harbor.

It's not the most efficient approach when you consider the cost of fuel, but well worth it for the view. BTW, it has been too many years since I've flown there but I imagine that Qantas and ATC has maintained that approach.,

When we did the photo shoot, we were orbiting the Opera House, the photo plane and all approvals were done by a QF captain that did quite a few of them. We flew in right-hand orbit over the house and bridge

Kent350787

Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:56 am

DaveFly wrote:
Back in the day, we subscribed to the annual supplements of the World Book Encyclopedia. There was a big section devoted to the opera house construction. It’s hard to imagine now, but it was then considered a boondoggle — way over budget, an eyesore, and probably beyond any then-known construction techniques.
Now it’s synonymous with the city, NSW, and Australia as a whole!
The interior was designed by a different architect. The structure actually has not only an opera auditorium, but a symphony hall as well. And many opera productions are performed in the symphony hall, not the opera space, because of superior acoustics. Also, the opera space is now officially named the Dame Joan Sutherland Opera Theater — she was a world-renowned soprano, who coincidentally discovered Pavarotti.

The approach is mostly used with the prevailing wind out of the south, or in light weather. You can never guarantee that approach.

The Concert Hall is quite a nice stage to perform on.

jupiter2

Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Ken777 wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:

The approach you're talking about is a standard approach from the East to either 16L or 16R, nothing to do with airlines specifically requesting it. The approach towards the coast from the East could also end up being a right hand circuit to 16R which overflies the airport first before turning north, again it's just a standard approach. The approaches are all designed for spacing and sequencing and very little to do with fuel efficiency.

I've found the best view when on a scheduled flight, is a departure off 34R when heading north to Brisbane, Gold Coast, etc, that departure will normally take you just east of the city and will provide a stunning view of the city, harbour bridge and Opera House when seated on the left hand side, weather permitting of cause. Unfortunately, you won't get that SID when doing an international flight.

fallap

Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:41 pm

Well, it's the most famous Danish building in the world. So it's sort off a Mecca for any serious Dane to pay homage to Jørn Utzon. We were always taught in school how the Aussies screwed him over and stood in the way of his genius visions.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

Kilopond

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:35 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
What exactly has made the Sydney Opera House a world famous landmark and tourist attraction and has any price of popular culture has an influence on this. [...]

Marketing propagande and nothing else. It is heavily overrated just because it might be the most elegant example of a hyperbolic concrete structures. Tens of thousends of mostly smaller buildings of this kind had been created when this kind of time spirit waved, especially in Eastern Europe. Most of them are torn down today. An architectonical sister building of the Sydney Opera is the TWA terminal at JFK. The nice Lotus Temple in Delhi doesn`t exactly count because it had been built some two, three decades after rhe original wave.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Iconic Status of the Great Wall of China

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:49 pm

What exactly has made the Great Wall of China a world famous landmark and tourist destination, because I know that it was not mentioned in Marco Polo's travels to China. So is there any price of popular culture for example that made the Great Wall of China famous in the minds of say Westerners.

petertenthije

Re: Iconic Status of the Great Wall of China

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:45 am

Isn’t being over 21.000 km long enough of a reason to be well known?
Attamottamotta!

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:49 am

petertenthije wrote:

Marco Polo evidently did not know about the Great Wall of China.

johns624

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:39 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

So?

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:42 am

johns624 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

So?

I am making a point here.

c933103

Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:20 am

When Marco Polo visit China, China at the time have already been annexed by Mongols, a group of people from the North that the Great Wall was designed to keep them away
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

johns624

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:12 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
So?

I am making a point here.
Care to tell us what it is? Just because one person centuries ago didn't mention it means nothing.

VSMUT

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:36 pm

You think more tourists would visit the great wall if an old cruise liner was docked at the end of the wall? Would Marco Polo have visited it if he had an example of Lonely Planets guide to China? How does it compare with the space tower of Seattle?

Palop

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:44 pm

According to the great adventurer and travel journalist Karl Pilkington, the wall really should be called the all right wall of china.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6zL1NcxgaQw

Dieuwer

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:26 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
What exactly has made the Great Wall of China a world famous landmark and tourist destination, because I know that it was not mentioned in Marco Polo's travels to China. So is there any price of popular culture for example that made the Great Wall of China famous in the minds of say Westerners.

According to World Heritage:

The Great Wall of the Ming is, not only because of the ambitious character of the undertaking but also the perfection of its construction, an absolute masterpiece. The only work built by human hands on this planet that can be seen from the moon, the Wall constitutes, on the vast scale of a continent, a perfect example of architecture integrated into the landscape.

https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/438

Dutchy

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

The Great Wall of the Ming is, not only because of the ambitious character of the undertaking but also the perfection of its construction, an absolute masterpiece. The only work built by human hands on this planet that can be seen from the moon, the Wall constitutes, on the vast scale of a continent, a perfect example of architecture integrated into the landscape.

https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/438

This is what many people think of when thinking about the Great Wall of China:

It is, of course, but so is this:

So I don't know how the western part of the wall looked like in Marco Polo's time, but if it is anything like it does now, it isn't that impressive if taken out of context.

Dieuwer wrote:

That is a myth, it isn't true. I doubt if you could even make it out form the ISS, it is very long, but the width is small. You could see lights from the moon, though, so large cities and they are also men made. it is a beautiful example of ambition and vision (not counting for the human suffering that made it possible).

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Dutchy wrote:

So I don't know how the western part of the wall looked like in Marco Polo's time, but if it is anything like it does now, it isn't that impressive if taken out of context.

Of course, the wall is in disrepair in many sections and it looks like government prefers to preserve only certain sections (cash cows) as opposed to the entire thing which would be a massive undertaking.

Dutchy wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

That is a myth, it isn't true. I doubt if you could even make it out form the ISS, it is very long, but the width is small. You could see lights from the moon, though, so large cities and they are also men made. it is a beautiful example of ambition and vision (not counting for the human suffering that made it possible).

There's a video about the Great Wall and folks in the ISS would have to use very powerful binoculars in order to even make out parts of the wall. I doubt you'd be able to see the wall from the Moon, even at night (could you make out a rural road from the Moon? Odds are you'd only be able to make out megacities like NYC, Beijing, Tokyo, and London).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Dutchy

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:56 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Of course, the wall is in disrepair in many sections and it looks like government prefers to preserve only certain sections (cash cows) as opposed to the entire thing which would be a massive undertaking.

Dutchy wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

There's a video about the Great Wall and folks in the ISS would have to use very powerful binoculars in order to even make out parts of the wall. I doubt you'd be able to see the wall from the Moon, even at night (could you make out a rural road from the Moon? Odds are you'd only be able to make out megacities like NYC, Beijing, Tokyo, and London).

Yeah with visual aids, everything would be visual, I guess.

zakuivcustom

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:48 pm

AFAIK, while there are never much consensus as to why Marco Polo never mentioned the Great Wall, it should also be kept in mind that the "Great Wall" that people sees today are mostly build in Ming Dynasty, way after Marco Polo (supposedly) visited China.

If you search "Han Dynasty Great Wall" (The section near Dunhuang), it's, well, not all that impressive.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

QE2 as a Hotel and Museum Ship in Dubai

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:12 am

How well is the QE2 (Queen Elizabeth 2) currently doing as a hotel and museum ship in Dubai as I have heard that the grand opening is indefinitely delayed and renovation work is still taking place. Aldo, is the QE2 a popular tourist attraction for Dubai and is it making profits.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

30 Hudson Yards Observation Deck

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:00 am

Here is a link to an article that talks about the observation deck called The Edge planned for 30 Hudson Yards in New York City and I understand that the deck extends outward from the building and will include a glass floor. Do you think that the observation deck at Hudson Yards will become a major tourist attraction for New York City.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Re: 30 Hudson Yards Observation Deck

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:08 am

https://ny.curbed.com/2019/3/7/18254905 ... k-the-edge
Here is the link that I forgot to put in.

TSS

Re: 30 Hudson Yards Observation Deck

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:42 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Do you think that the observation deck at Hudson Yards will become a major tourist attraction for New York City?

A tourist attraction in and of itself, as in someone far away saying 'I've just got to get to New York City so I can visit the observation deck at Hudson Yards!", no. Will it possibly be added to the touristy itineraries of people already visiting NYC for other reasons, maybe.

Realistically, observation decks of any type have limited appeal. Once you've looked around and said "Wow, we're really high up!", "Oh look, there's (insert landmark here)!", and "Hey, there's New Jersey!", you've pretty much covered all the entertainment possibilities an observation deck in NYC has to offer.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Kiwirob

Re: QE2 as a Hotel and Museum Ship in Dubai

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:00 pm

You just answered your own question in your opening post.

Francoflier

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:08 am

Went there last spring for a look. There were still lots of renovations going on. I obviously can't judge attendance or occupancy from a single visit but they seemed relatively busy, though many people seemed to be preparing for an event there.

The lobby/check in area they built outside is pretty nice and has a good exhibition on the history of the ship.
It was nice walking around the old lady and the staff was great, but it's a shame the interesting areas are still mostly off limits.

As far as its performance as a business, it's hard to tell. There is an oversupply of luxury hotels in Dubai as it is, and who knows whether the novelty of being on the QE2 will be sufficient to poach enough guests. It's a bit out of the way as well.
They may find good business in organising events and conferences, however.
As far as being a tourist attraction, it's too early to tell as it's not even technically one yet.

I wish them luck, though it seems the first thing they may have to do is to weather a financial crisis...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:22 pm

The QE2 is not far from the historic area of Dubai that includes the Dubai Museum.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

(Famous) Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:18 am

How come does the Eiffel Tower's first two viewing levels manage to handle 6 million to 7 million paying visitors a year well at a price of around US $17, which is relatively cheap by today's standards. I also understand that the Eiffel Tower was only intended to stand 20 years, which makes those visitor numbers an accomplishment.
Last edited by SQ22 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title updated

casinterest

Re: Eiffel Tower Visitor Numbers

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:33 am

It is huge.
Have you never been there?
You should go.

IF you have ever visited the Empire state building( 4 million visitors a year and cramped) and the Eiffel tower , you would understand that the Eiffel is much more equipped to handle visitors as it has no functioning offices.
Where ever you go, there you are.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Atomium Iconic Status

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:03 pm

Do you think that the Atomium in Brussels will receive the same level of fame and recognition worldwide as the Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building, London Eye, or Space Needle now that freedom of panorama laws have been in place in Belgium for 3 years. It was built in 1958 for the World's Fair in Brussels.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Re: Eiffel Tower Visitor Numbers

Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:18 am

casinterest wrote:
It is huge.
Have you never been there?
You should go.

IF you have ever visited the Empire state building( 4 million visitors a year and cramped) and the Eiffel tower , you would understand that the Eiffel is much more equipped to handle visitors as it has no functioning offices.

I have not been to Paris, but I have been up the Empire State Building in New York City. Also, the admission fee for the 3rd floor of the Eiffel Tower is about US $25 and has somewhat fewer visitors than the first two levels.

SQ22

Re: (Famous) Sights - Questions and Discussion Thread

Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:27 am

There is now a dedicated thread to discuss questions about (famous) sights in the world (e.g. current status, how is it doing as a museum, question on entrance fees etc.). Please use it to post your questions. Thanks.

I have merged several threads into this, so the first posts will be a bit out of sequence, but this will change once it is used as desired.