User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 7586
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: (Famous) Sights - Questions and Discussion Thread

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:31 pm

SQ22 wrote:
There is now a dedicated thread to discuss questions about (famous) sights in the world (e.g. current status, how is it doing as a museum, question on entrance fees etc.). Please use it to post your questions. Thanks.

I have merged several threads into this, so the first posts will be a bit out of sequence, but this will change once it is used as desired.

THANK YOU! :bigthumbsup:
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: 30 Hudson Yards Observation Deck

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:01 am

TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Do you think that the observation deck at Hudson Yards will become a major tourist attraction for New York City?


A tourist attraction in and of itself, as in someone far away saying 'I've just got to get to New York City so I can visit the observation deck at Hudson Yards!", no. Will it possibly be added to the touristy itineraries of people already visiting NYC for other reasons, maybe.

Realistically, observation decks of any type have limited appeal. Once you've looked around and said "Wow, we're really high up!", "Oh look, there's (insert landmark here)!", and "Hey, there's New Jersey!", you've pretty much covered all the entertainment possibilities an observation deck in NYC has to offer.

Observation decks are becoming multi media experiences and many now have a variety of other things than just the view. 30 Hudson Yards will be no exception.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Eiffel Tower Visitor Numbers

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:07 am

casinterest wrote:
It is huge.
Have you never been there?
You should go.

IF you have ever visited the Empire state building( 4 million visitors a year and cramped) and the Eiffel tower , you would understand that the Eiffel is much more equipped to handle visitors as it has no functioning offices.

How well equipped is the Burj Khalifa in Dubai for visitor traffic to it's observation deck compared to the Empire State Building.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Iconic Status of the Sydney Opera House

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:27 pm

Kilopond wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
What exactly has made the Sydney Opera House a world famous landmark and tourist attraction and has any price of popular culture has an influence on this. [...]


Marketing propagande and nothing else. It is heavily overrated just because it might be the most elegant example of a hyperbolic concrete structures. Tens of thousends of mostly smaller buildings of this kind had been created when this kind of time spirit waved, especially in Eastern Europe. Most of them are torn down today. An architectonical sister building of the Sydney Opera is the TWA terminal at JFK. The nice Lotus Temple in Delhi doesn`t exactly count because it had been built some two, three decades after rhe original wave.

Was the Sydney Opera House heavily featured in travel advertising in about 1973.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Iconic Status of the Great Wall of China

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:30 pm

What exactly popularized the Great Wall of China in the minds of Westerners and when did that occur.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6831
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Iconic Status of the Great Wall of China

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:58 am

That's because Marco Polo went around the wall.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: (Famous) Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:54 am

What made the Guggenheim Bilbao so famous.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 14311
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: (Famous) Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:48 am

There are a number of structures that are clearly connected to a country or city, symbols of them known around the world. The Eiffel Tower in Paris, Tower Bridge in London, the US Capital in DC, The Sydney Opera House, The Empire State and Chrysler buildings in NYC, The Leaning Tower of Pisa, Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, all of which I have seen or been in. Then there are the pyramids of Egypt or certain areas of Mexico, major symbols of their countries. There are cities who's designs are symbols, like Amsterdam and Venice with their canals, great cathedrals or other religious structures like the statue of Jesus on top of a rock overlooking Rio in Brazil. They and others like them are the great combination of structural engineering, design, architecture, local culture and they become iconic.

Sadly some of these structure are symbols to some of evil. The original WTC towers became such symbols of the USA and 'the West' they were destroyed 18 years ago in an obscene act of terrorism. Some structures like the Eiffel tower have become far less accessible to the public over the years as need to be protected from acts of terrorism.

Since the 1960's there has been the movements around the world to save and preserve important and historic structures. The loss of some great structures, like the original above ground part of Pennsylvania Station in NYC and others led to preserve and eventually restore others like Grand Central Station in NYC. Sometimes great form follows function. the need to cram more usable space from a small urban plot of land led to the skyscrapers, canals and train stations for movement of people and goods, the pyramid of the Louve in Paris, improving access to it by the public without major changes to its almost 200 year old structure. Such structures are parts of our lives and should be celebrated for how they contribute.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: (Famous) Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:07 am

ltbewr wrote:
There are a number of structures that are clearly connected to a country or city, symbols of them known around the world. The Eiffel Tower in Paris, Tower Bridge in London, the US Capital in DC, The Sydney Opera House, The Empire State and Chrysler buildings in NYC, The Leaning Tower of Pisa, Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, all of which I have seen or been in. Then there are the pyramids of Egypt or certain areas of Mexico, major symbols of their countries. There are cities who's designs are symbols, like Amsterdam and Venice with their canals, great cathedrals or other religious structures like the statue of Jesus on top of a rock overlooking Rio in Brazil. They and others like them are the great combination of structural engineering, design, architecture, local culture and they become iconic.

Sadly some of these structure are symbols to some of evil. The original WTC towers became such symbols of the USA and 'the West' they were destroyed 18 years ago in an obscene act of terrorism. Some structures like the Eiffel tower have become far less accessible to the public over the years as need to be protected from acts of terrorism.

Since the 1960's there has been the movements around the world to save and preserve important and historic structures. The loss of some great structures, like the original above ground part of Pennsylvania Station in NYC and others led to preserve and eventually restore others like Grand Central Station in NYC. Sometimes great form follows function. the need to cram more usable space from a small urban plot of land led to the skyscrapers, canals and train stations for movement of people and goods, the pyramid of the Louve in Paris, improving access to it by the public without major changes to its almost 200 year old structure. Such structures are parts of our lives and should be celebrated for how they contribute.

The Status of Liberty in New York City, Taj Mahal in India, Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, Great Wall of China, and the Burj Khalifa in Dubai are also major symbols.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Gwadar

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:34 am

Do you think that Gwadar, Pakistan will be like Dubai in the next 20 years with tall futuristic skyscrapers, glitzy shopping malls, supercars, artificial islands, and a huge airport and seaport. Also, do you think that Gwadar will be one of the most visited cities in the world.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9974
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Gwadar

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:26 am

why do you think Gwandar has the potential to become a Dubai? And that it would be much more than "just" a port city in Pakistan?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:11 am

Here is a link about the planned opening of the Lotus Tower in Colombo, Sri Lanka on September 16. It is the tallest observation tower in South Asia.
https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/09/15/tal ... -tomorrow/
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:42 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Here is a link about the planned opening of the Lotus Tower in Colombo, Sri Lanka on September 16. It is the tallest observation tower in South Asia.
https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/09/15/tal ... -tomorrow/


Interesting, did not know that, thanks.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:57 am

SQ22 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Here is a link about the planned opening of the Lotus Tower in Colombo, Sri Lanka on September 16. It is the tallest observation tower in South Asia.
https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/09/15/tal ... -tomorrow/


Interesting, did not know that, thanks.

The Lotus Tower will include a hotel, restaurant, and an observation deck among other options for the public. It will also be used as a broadcasting and communications tower.
 
SanDiegoLover
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:04 am

I think many of our travel dreams are formed in childhood. I remember in 5th grade wishing I could see the little mermaid (amongst other travel wishes) in Copenhagen. I saw her for the first time when I was 32 years old in person.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:00 am

SQ22 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Here is a link about the planned opening of the Lotus Tower in Colombo, Sri Lanka on September 16. It is the tallest observation tower in South Asia.
https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/09/15/tal ... -tomorrow/


Interesting, did not know that, thanks.

Do you think that the Lotus Tower will become an iconic tower like the Seattle Space Needle and a symbol of Sri Lanka.
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:15 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Do you think that the Lotus Tower will become an iconic tower like the Seattle Space Needle and a symbol of Sri Lanka.


I am not an expert on that subject and it also depends on tourism streams, but I thing being the tallest building for some time is a good chance to get a lot of attention.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Gwadar

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:44 am

Dutchy wrote:
why do you think Gwandar has the potential to become a Dubai? And that it would be much more than "just" a port city in Pakistan?

It is planned to be the next Dubai and a skyscraper called the Burj al Gwadar is planned for the city. The Burj al Gwadar is intended to represent Gwadar in the same way the Burj al Arab symbolizes Dubai and the Burj al Arab helped with starting to move Dubai in the direction of becoming a global city.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Empire State Building 102nd Floor Renovation

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:49 am

Here is a link about the redesign work that has been done with the Empire State Building lately including floor to ceiling glass on the 102nd floor and glass elevators from the 86th floor to the 102nd floor. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/19/arts ... atory.html
 
FGITD
Posts: 470
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Gwadar

Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:36 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
why do you think Gwandar has the potential to become a Dubai? And that it would be much more than "just" a port city in Pakistan?

It is planned to be the next Dubai and a skyscraper called the Burj al Gwadar is planned for the city. The Burj al Gwadar is intended to represent Gwadar in the same way the Burj al Arab symbolizes Dubai and the Burj al Arab helped with starting to move Dubai in the direction of becoming a global city.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the Burj al Gwadar has a lot in common with Baltia Airlines, in that the idea exists, and has for years, but pretty much nothing else does.

Also the only information I could find is that its planned to be 12 stories tall, and its planned to offer amenities such as "running water and electricity"

Dubai was already pretty well established pre-Burj al Arab. Wasn't still a fishing village in 2010.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Gwadar

Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:43 am

FGITD wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
why do you think Gwandar has the potential to become a Dubai? And that it would be much more than "just" a port city in Pakistan?

It is planned to be the next Dubai and a skyscraper called the Burj al Gwadar is planned for the city. The Burj al Gwadar is intended to represent Gwadar in the same way the Burj al Arab symbolizes Dubai and the Burj al Arab helped with starting to move Dubai in the direction of becoming a global city.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the Burj al Gwadar has a lot in common with Baltia Airlines, in that the idea exists, and has for years, but pretty much nothing else does.

Also the only information I could find is that its planned to be 12 stories tall, and its planned to offer amenities such as "running water and electricity"

Dubai was already pretty well established pre-Burj al Arab. Wasn't still a fishing village in 2010.

The Burj al Arab was built in 1999, not 2010.
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1059
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: (Famous) Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:18 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
What made the Guggenheim Bilbao so famous.


Dramatic building, heavily promoted, in a prominent location. Guggenhiem link, so strong international branding from the outset. A little like the NYC Guggenheim, I find the building more interesting than much of the content. But not all Gehry Buildings are as iconic - there is one a block from where I'm sitting mostly known to archigeeks only.

Sydney internationally IS the sweep of Circular Quay from the Opera House to the Harbour Bridge, which dramatic man-made structures forming the sparkling harbour as the forecourt of the CBD (downtown). Of course it was massively promoted. Even as a local it's exciting to visit the Opera House.
 
FGITD
Posts: 470
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Gwadar

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:20 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Burj al Arab was built in 1999, not 2010.


You are of course correct, got myself mixed up after going down a Wikipedia wormhole of skyscrapers. Very interesting stuff.

However I think it still stands to reason that the Burj al Arab wasn't a case of someone plopping down a luxury hotel on an artificial island off the coast of some unknown city.

Regardless, I hardly think a 12 story mixed apartment/commercial building in Gwadar is comparable to a 56 story, $1 billion luxury hotel on its own island.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Gwadar

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:45 am

Dutchy wrote:
why do you think Gwandar has the potential to become a Dubai? And that it would be much more than "just" a port city in Pakistan?

China is also helping to develop Gwadar and China's growth today was underestimated even 10 years ago. So, I could see Gwadar becoming like Dubai 20 years from now.
 
melpax
Posts: 1912
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:01 am

An interesting film of the Opera House from 1972, in the final stages of construction - notice the near total lack of modern-day OH&S standards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLM7Dpt4RdM

We don't have an Iconic building of the likes of the Opera House here in Melbourne, however the MCG, or Melbourne Cricket Ground would be the best-known Melbourne landmark internationally.
It has a capacity of over 100,000, and hosts 2 of the biggest days in World Sport - the AFL Grand Final, and the opening day of the Boxing Day cricket test. There is nothing like the roar of an MCG crowd! It's not unusual for the MCG to hold 2 games per week during the regular AFL season, quite often with crowds up to 70-80,000 if popular teams are playing.

The MCG has also been used as the Main Stadium for the 1956 Olympics & 2006 Commonwealth Games, and was used as a US Military camp during WW2.

The MCG has been continually updated over the years, the oldest part of the 'current' stadium are the light towers, installed in 1985, while the oldest stand is the 'Great Southern Stand' constructed in 1992. The 'Northern' stand was constructed for the 2006 Commonwealth Games, and replaced the 1956 Olympic stand, the 1967 Northern Stand, and the Iconic Member's stand from 1927. There is a lengthy waiting list of up to 20 years to become an MCC member (the MCC runs the stadium). It's not unusual for people to be put on the membership waiting list by family at birth, and they will eventually be offered membership around 18 years later - A couple of friends were in this situation.

An interesting Wikipedia rundown of the MCG's history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Cricket_Ground

Image
Essendon - Whatever it takes......
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:11 am

melpax wrote:
An interesting film of the Opera House from 1972, in the final stages of construction - notice the near total lack of modern-day OH&S standards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLM7Dpt4RdM

We don't have an Iconic building of the likes of the Opera House here in Melbourne, however the MCG, or Melbourne Cricket Ground would be the best-known Melbourne landmark internationally.
It has a capacity of over 100,000, and hosts 2 of the biggest days in World Sport - the AFL Grand Final, and the opening day of the Boxing Day cricket test. There is nothing like the roar of an MCG crowd! It's not unusual for the MCG to hold 2 games per week during the regular AFL season, quite often with crowds up to 70-80,000 if popular teams are playing.

The MCG has also been used as the Main Stadium for the 1956 Olympics & 2006 Commonwealth Games, and was used as a US Military camp during WW2.

The MCG has been continually updated over the years, the oldest part of the 'current' stadium are the light towers, installed in 1985, while the oldest stand is the 'Great Southern Stand' constructed in 1992. The 'Northern' stand was constructed for the 2006 Commonwealth Games, and replaced the 1956 Olympic stand, the 1967 Northern Stand, and the Iconic Member's stand from 1927. There is a lengthy waiting list of up to 20 years to become an MCC member (the MCC runs the stadium). It's not unusual for people to be put on the membership waiting list by family at birth, and they will eventually be offered membership around 18 years later - A couple of friends were in this situation.

An interesting Wikipedia rundown of the MCG's history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Cricket_Ground

Image

The Melbourne Cricket Ground could achieve the same level of fame as the Sydney Opera House if it were seen in a James Bond or Mission Impossible movie or a movie in the MCU or DC Comics universe.
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1059
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:45 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Melbourne Cricket Ground could achieve the same level of fame as the Sydney Opera House if it were seen in a James Bond or Mission Impossible movie or a movie in the MCU or DC Comics universe.


Yeah nah.

If any Melbourne stadium should be featured, surely Marvel Stadium (formerly Etihad, formerly Docklands) is the one. :)

But none are ever likely to be as iconic as SOH.
 
melpax
Posts: 1912
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:37 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
If any Melbourne stadium should be featured, surely Marvel Stadium (formerly Etihad, formerly Docklands) is the one. :)


Wouldn't be suprised if that happens.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2485
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:40 am

On the other hand there's the little mermaid in the harbour of Copenhagen. Don't. Just don't.
Signature. You just read one.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Here is a link that shows how popular the V&A Museum in Dundee, Scotland has been in the past year with 830,000 visitors in it's first year.
https://blooloop.com/news/vanda-dundee- ... irst-year/
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Santa Claus Theme Park in Finland

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:22 pm

Here is a link to an article that talks about the proposed Republic of Santa Claus theme park in Finland and it will be bigger than the current Santa Claus Village in the same town. What are your thoughts about this park and do you think it will become world famous like Walt Disney War in Orlando.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel ... 343ee81c09
 
TSS
Posts: 3297
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Santa Claus Theme Park in Finland

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:18 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Here is a link to an article that talks about the proposed Republic of Santa Claus theme park in Finland and it will be bigger than the current Santa Claus Village in the same town. What are your thoughts about this park and do you think it will become world famous like Walt Disney War in Orlando?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel ... 343ee81c09


Ehhh... The Santa Claus Village that is already there is world famous, so no reason why a giant theme park in the same location and with a similar theme wouldn't be equally so, but I wonder if a Santa Claus/Christmas-themed park will be able to draw sufficient visitors to stay open outside of November and December. As I understand it, Santa Claus Villages are not uncommon in the upper Midwestern US but they're mostly only open from Halloween until Christmas Eve (I'm going on hearsay here so if you know better or different, chime in!). Why go to the trouble and expense of flying to the super duper Santa Claus Village in Finland when your five year old will be just as happy if you simply drive to the one just outside Waukegan?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Santa Claus Theme Park in Finland

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:59 pm

TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Here is a link to an article that talks about the proposed Republic of Santa Claus theme park in Finland and it will be bigger than the current Santa Claus Village in the same town. What are your thoughts about this park and do you think it will become world famous like Walt Disney War in Orlando?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel ... 343ee81c09


Ehhh... The Santa Claus Village that is already there is world famous, so no reason why a giant theme park in the same location and with a similar theme wouldn't be equally so, but I wonder if a Santa Claus/Christmas-themed park will be able to draw sufficient visitors to stay open outside of November and December. As I understand it, Santa Claus Villages are not uncommon in the upper Midwestern US but they're mostly only open from Halloween until Christmas Eve (I'm going on hearsay here so if you know better or different, chime in!). Why go to the trouble and expense of flying to the super duper Santa Claus Village in Finland when your five year old will be just as happy if you simply drive to the one just outside Waukegan?

This new theme park is targeting tourists from around the world.
 
johns624
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Santa Claus Theme Park in Finland

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:48 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Here is a link to an article that talks about the proposed Republic of Santa Claus theme park in Finland and it will be bigger than the current Santa Claus Village in the same town. What are your thoughts about this park and do you think it will become world famous like Walt Disney War in Orlando?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel ... 343ee81c09


Ehhh... The Santa Claus Village that is already there is world famous, so no reason why a giant theme park in the same location and with a similar theme wouldn't be equally so, but I wonder if a Santa Claus/Christmas-themed park will be able to draw sufficient visitors to stay open outside of November and December. As I understand it, Santa Claus Villages are not uncommon in the upper Midwestern US but they're mostly only open from Halloween until Christmas Eve (I'm going on hearsay here so if you know better or different, chime in!). Why go to the trouble and expense of flying to the super duper Santa Claus Village in Finland when your five year old will be just as happy if you simply drive to the one just outside Waukegan?

This new theme park is targeting tourists from around the world.
You missed the whole point of his response. Santa Claus is a Nov/Dec thing. What are they going to do the other 10 months of the year? Also, who's going to fly halfway across the world with their children just for Santa Claus. Santa Claus is mainly a Western/Christian thing, so many cultures aren't aware of him. Besides, they'll probably charge too much for admission.
 
TSS
Posts: 3297
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Santa Claus Theme Park in Finland

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:53 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Here is a link to an article that talks about the proposed Republic of Santa Claus theme park in Finland and it will be bigger than the current Santa Claus Village in the same town. What are your thoughts about this park and do you think it will become world famous like Walt Disney War in Orlando?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel ... 343ee81c09


Ehhh... The Santa Claus Village that is already there is world famous, so no reason why a giant theme park in the same location and with a similar theme wouldn't be equally so, but I wonder if a Santa Claus/Christmas-themed park will be able to draw sufficient visitors to stay open outside of November and December. As I understand it, Santa Claus Villages are not uncommon in the upper Midwestern US but they're mostly only open from Halloween until Christmas Eve (I'm going on hearsay here so if you know better or different, chime in!). Why go to the trouble and expense of flying to the super duper Santa Claus Village in Finland when your five year old will be just as happy if you simply drive to the one just outside Waukegan?


This new theme park is targeting tourists from around the world.


Okay, you've taken the tour, you've seen Santa, you got to pet a real reindeer, you rode all the rides, and you had a nice schvitz in the world's largest sauna... that's only one day's activities, a day and a half at most if you really stretch it out. That's great if you're already in the area, not so much if a lot of travel is involved to get there... plus it's all Christmas-themed and for ten months out of the year most people aren't in the mood for anything to do with Christmas.

Finland does or did have at least one other large amusement park, from the pictures I saw it looked to be the Finnish equivalent of Six Flags or Knott's Berry Farm. I'd look long and hard at the attendance numbers for that place before even considering opening another major attraction there, especially one with limited seasonal appeal.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Santa Claus Theme Park in Finland

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:03 am

johns624 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
TSS wrote:

Ehhh... The Santa Claus Village that is already there is world famous, so no reason why a giant theme park in the same location and with a similar theme wouldn't be equally so, but I wonder if a Santa Claus/Christmas-themed park will be able to draw sufficient visitors to stay open outside of November and December. As I understand it, Santa Claus Villages are not uncommon in the upper Midwestern US but they're mostly only open from Halloween until Christmas Eve (I'm going on hearsay here so if you know better or different, chime in!). Why go to the trouble and expense of flying to the super duper Santa Claus Village in Finland when your five year old will be just as happy if you simply drive to the one just outside Waukegan?

This new theme park is targeting tourists from around the world.
You missed the whole point of his response. Santa Claus is a Nov/Dec thing. What are they going to do the other 10 months of the year? Also, who's going to fly halfway across the world with their children just for Santa Claus. Santa Claus is mainly a Western/Christian thing, so many cultures aren't aware of him. Besides, they'll probably charge too much for admission.

A day at Walt Disney World is well over $100 per person and a huge increase over the $3.50 price when it opened in 1971.
 
TSS
Posts: 3297
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Santa Claus Theme Park in Finland

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:45 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
This new theme park is targeting tourists from around the world.


You missed the whole point of his response. Santa Claus is a Nov/Dec thing. What are they going to do the other 10 months of the year? Also, who's going to fly halfway across the world with their children just for Santa Claus. Santa Claus is mainly a Western/Christian thing, so many cultures aren't aware of him. Besides, they'll probably charge too much for admission.


A day at Walt Disney World is well over $100 per person and a huge increase over the $3.50 price when it opened in 1971.


Disney World can get away with charging over $100 per person because it has wide appeal the whole year round with multiple differently-themed areas and is located in a place that has sunny, warm weather all year long.

Santa Claus Village is highly seasonal, has only one theme (two if you consider "Santa Claus" and "Christmas" as separate themes, a very fine distinction indeed), and is located on the Arctic Circle meaning that in the months when it is likely to be visited most if at all, it will be bitterly cold there.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12234
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Santa Claus Theme Park in Finland

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:35 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
Here is a link to an article that talks about the proposed Republic of Santa Claus theme park in Finland and it will be bigger than the current Santa Claus Village in the same town. What are your thoughts about this park and do you think it will become world famous like Walt Disney War in Orlando?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel ... 343ee81c09


Ehhh... The Santa Claus Village that is already there is world famous, so no reason why a giant theme park in the same location and with a similar theme wouldn't be equally so, but I wonder if a Santa Claus/Christmas-themed park will be able to draw sufficient visitors to stay open outside of November and December. As I understand it, Santa Claus Villages are not uncommon in the upper Midwestern US but they're mostly only open from Halloween until Christmas Eve (I'm going on hearsay here so if you know better or different, chime in!). Why go to the trouble and expense of flying to the super duper Santa Claus Village in Finland when your five year old will be just as happy if you simply drive to the one just outside Waukegan?


This new theme park is targeting tourists from around the world.


Tourists from around the world already go there, this is simply broadening the range of activities for tourists.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12234
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Santa Claus Theme Park in Finland

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:37 am

TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

You missed the whole point of his response. Santa Claus is a Nov/Dec thing. What are they going to do the other 10 months of the year? Also, who's going to fly halfway across the world with their children just for Santa Claus. Santa Claus is mainly a Western/Christian thing, so many cultures aren't aware of him. Besides, they'll probably charge too much for admission.


A day at Walt Disney World is well over $100 per person and a huge increase over the $3.50 price when it opened in 1971.


Disney World can get away with charging over $100 per person because it has wide appeal the whole year round with multiple differently-themed areas and is located in a place that has sunny, warm weather all year long.

Santa Claus Village is highly seasonal, has only one theme (two if you consider "Santa Claus" and "Christmas" as separate themes, a very fine distinction indeed), and is located on the Arctic Circle meaning that in the months when it is likely to be visited most if at all, it will be bitterly cold there.


Going in the middle of winter is part of the attraction, I think the winter season is actually their high season. Anyway there's not such thing as bad weather it's more likely a poor choice of clothing.
 
TSS
Posts: 3297
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Santa Claus Theme Park in Finland

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:20 am

Kiwirob wrote:
TSS wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
A day at Walt Disney World is well over $100 per person and a huge increase over the $3.50 price when it opened in 1971.


Disney World can get away with charging over $100 per person because it has wide appeal the whole year round with multiple differently-themed areas and is located in a place that has sunny, warm weather all year long.

Santa Claus Village is highly seasonal, has only one theme (two if you consider "Santa Claus" and "Christmas" as separate themes, a very fine distinction indeed), and is located on the Arctic Circle meaning that in the months when it is likely to be visited most if at all, it will be bitterly cold there.


Going in the middle of winter is part of the attraction, I think the winter season is actually their high season. Anyway there's not such thing as bad weather it's more likely a poor choice of clothing.


Says the guy who lives in Norway. I will concede that what constitutes "bad weather" usually depends on what one is used to dealing with. One of the funniest things I've ever seen was friends of mine who live in the high desert near Reno, Nevada who are completely unfazed by snow and ice on the roads in winter completely lose their minds and panic when it was raining... just barely raining by Alabama standards, mind you, a light drizzle at most.

Once one has exhausted all the Christmas-y entertainment possibilities there, are there any other winter activities like skiing (other than cross-country) available in that area?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:29 pm

Here is a link to the proposal from this past May to revive the New York Wheel on Staten Island, but at a height of 450 feet rather than 630 feet.
https://therealdeal.com/2019/05/30/the- ... e-smaller/
 
luckyone
Posts: 2807
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Gwadar

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:42 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
why do you think Gwandar has the potential to become a Dubai? And that it would be much more than "just" a port city in Pakistan?

China is also helping to develop Gwadar and China's growth today was underestimated even 10 years ago. So, I could see Gwadar becoming like Dubai 20 years from now.

Who was underestimating China's growth? Someone not paying attention? The growth of the Chinese economy has been a topic of serious discussion since the turn of the millennium, when I was old enough to start paying attention. 10 years ago (a bit more actually) when one of the rounds of China route authorities were being granted this site was abuzz with how much growth China is going to have in ten years and how carriers were going to suffer the losses but get long term payouts, etc etc etc? I remember that pretty well because everybody was applying for route authority (Delta received ATL-PVG in 2007), and the one that was most laughing received was US Airways (blast from the past!) applied for and received authority forPHL-PEK, an authority it relinquished without ever flying. To digress...I'm not sure I agree with your statement.

To the point, what does Gwadar offer? Dubai developed as a playground with relatively relaxed social rules and a significantly more business friendly climate compared to its conservative neighbors. Will Gwadar be functioning in such a role? CAN it function in such a way under the central Pakistani government? I agree Pakistan gets an exaggerated reputation for safety, but the political situation in Pakistan is not the political situation in the UAE.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: (Famous) Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
What made the Guggenheim Bilbao so famous.


Dramatic building, heavily promoted, in a prominent location. Guggenhiem link, so strong international branding from the outset. A little like the NYC Guggenheim, I find the building more interesting than much of the content. But not all Gehry Buildings are as iconic - there is one a block from where I'm sitting mostly known to archigeeks only.

Sydney internationally IS the sweep of Circular Quay from the Opera House to the Harbour Bridge, which dramatic man-made structures forming the sparkling harbour as the forecourt of the CBD (downtown). Of course it was massively promoted. Even as a local it's exciting to visit the Opera House.

We're the opening ceremonies of both the Sydney Opera House and Guggenheim Bilbao all over the news worldwide when they happened.
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1059
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: (Famous) Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:59 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
[
We're the opening ceremonies of both the Sydney Opera House and Guggenheim Bilbao all over the news worldwide when they happened.


Sydney, yes, Bilbao far less so. You needed to be into modern art or an archigeek to know about Bilbao in the late 1990s. I was the latter, having made a range of mordermist architechture pilgrimages in 1998.
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: (Famous) Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:30 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
We're the opening ceremonies of both the Sydney Opera House and Guggenheim Bilbao all over the news worldwide when they happened.


I think you are asking the wrong question. I am very sure the opening was shared in the worldwide news for the dedicated audience, but not so much in the normal news worldwiede.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Gwadar

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:51 am

FGITD wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Burj al Arab was built in 1999, not 2010.


You are of course correct, got myself mixed up after going down a Wikipedia wormhole of skyscrapers. Very interesting stuff.

However I think it still stands to reason that the Burj al Arab wasn't a case of someone plopping down a luxury hotel on an artificial island off the coast of some unknown city.

Regardless, I hardly think a 12 story mixed apartment/commercial building in Gwadar is comparable to a 56 story, $1 billion luxury hotel on its own island.

Was Dubai still a fishing village in 1999 and how developed was Dubai in 1999 compared to Gwadar today.
 
FGITD
Posts: 470
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Gwadar

Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:22 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Was Dubai still a fishing village in 1999 and how developed was Dubai in 1999 compared to Gwadar today.


I don't know too much about either city, but I'm fairly certain Dubai was already steadily growing by 1999.

I think the biggest comparison regarding the Gwadar project vs Dubai is the purpose. Dubai was intentionally made into what it is today. The set goal was to become a metropolis, capable of attracting businesses worldwide through beneficial laws, perks etc. Basically they had startup money and wanted to put it to use.

Gwadar is being built up as a project by outside interests, namely China and to some degree, Saudi Arabia. Therefore the point of Gwadar will be to benefit Chinese and Saudi interests, without negatively impacting either country. And if it gets too expensive or otherwise not worth it, they'll drop Gwadar right back into irrelevance.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Skyliner Gondola at Walt Disney World Stalled

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:19 pm

The new Skyliner Gondola at Walt Disney World was stalled on Saturday after two gondola cars collided and this left passengers stranded for hours. The gondola is closed until further notice.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/br ... story.html
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:27 pm

B777LRF wrote:
On the other hand there's the little mermaid in the harbour of Copenhagen. Don't. Just don't.

Why is The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen so famous.
 
TSS
Posts: 3297
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Skyliner Gondola at Walt Disney World Stalled

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:33 pm

You just know that right before the accident/stall happened, at least one person in one of the gondolas was thinking "That (food product) didn't agree with me... As soon as I get off this gondola I gotta find a toilet ASAP!".
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: airtechy, Dutchy, petertenthije, Redd and 52 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos