TSS
Posts: 3305
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:37 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
On the other hand there's the little mermaid in the harbour of Copenhagen. Don't. Just don't.

Why is The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen so famous.


Cool (though surprisingly small in person) statue in a prominent location with a cute story behind it.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
Brick
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 1999 11:08 am

Re: Skyliner Gondola at Walt Disney World Stalled

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:38 pm

And why is this minor news story of particular interest to a wide variety of people from many different countries that visit ANet?

ANet is not a news site.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...
 
TSS
Posts: 3305
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Skyliner Gondola at Walt Disney World Stalled

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:56 pm

Brick wrote:
And why is this minor news story of particular interest to a wide variety of people from many different countries that visit ANet?


Slow news day?

Brick wrote:
ANet is not a news site.


It's not a political site either, yet people feel the need to post threads discussing, at great length, all the possible implications of every little sneeze, burp, and fart that comes out of the US White House. If a thread doesn't interest you, don't post in it and it'll sink down to page two soon enough.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Gwadar

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:05 pm

FGITD wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Burj al Arab was built in 1999, not 2010.


You are of course correct, got myself mixed up after going down a Wikipedia wormhole of skyscrapers. Very interesting stuff.

However I think it still stands to reason that the Burj al Arab wasn't a case of someone plopping down a luxury hotel on an artificial island off the coast of some unknown city.

Regardless, I hardly think a 12 story mixed apartment/commercial building in Gwadar is comparable to a 56 story, $1 billion luxury hotel on its own island.

It was actually the Burj Khalifa that was completed in 2010.
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:40 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
On the other hand there's the little mermaid in the harbour of Copenhagen. Don't. Just don't.

Why is The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen so famous.


Hans Christian Andersen, author of fairytales.
Signature. You just read one.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:25 pm

The renovated 102nd floor observation deck of the Empire State Building is reopening this Saturday.
https://www.apnews.com/50f9c2ee18f342329d55a3c6e51eac0d
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Newly Renovated 102nd Floor Observation Deck of the Empire State Building

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:38 pm

The newly renovated 102nd floor observation deck of the Empire State Building reopened today and has floor to ceiling glass walls. It also has glass elevators from the 86th floor observation deck and is part of a four phase renovation project.
https://www.travelandleisure.com/attrac ... ation-open
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Six Flags Over Texas Open Year Round in 2020

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:18 pm

Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington, Texas will be open year round starting in 2020, at least on weekends even in January and February. Also, a new Aquaman rollercoaster will be built at the park.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox4ne ... oaster.amp
 
johns624
Posts: 2227
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Six Flags Over Texas Open Year Round in 2020

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:32 pm

Is there an observation deck there and do they charge a reasonable fee?
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Six Flags Over Texas Open Year Round in 2020

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:34 pm

johns624 wrote:
Is there an observation deck there and do they charge a reasonable fee?

There is one at the top of the Oil Derrick at the park and it is included with park admission.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Skyline Tower in Queens Topped Out

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:23 am

The Skyline Tower in Queens, New York has been topped out and is the tallest building in New York City outside of Manhattan at a height of 778 feet. It is located in Long Island City near what was planned to be Amazon HQ2.
https://ny.curbed.com/2019/10/11/209101 ... line-tower
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 580
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: Six Flags Over Texas Open Year Round in 2020

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:09 am

Aren't they always open? I didn't think Six Flags ever closed down for slow seasons... I guess I must be oblivious then.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Six Flags Over Texas Open Year Round in 2020

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:19 am

CarlosSi wrote:
Aren't they always open? I didn't think Six Flags ever closed down for slow seasons... I guess I must be oblivious then.

In the past, they were closed after the New Year's holiday season ended in early January until either the last weekend of February or the first weekend of March.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2008
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Six Flags Over Texas Open Year Round in 2020

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:44 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington, Texas will be open year round starting in 2020, at least on weekends even in January and February. Also, a new Aquaman rollercoaster will be built at the park.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox4ne ... oaster.amp


The park may be "open" but not all rides will be running, like they are in the summer, I'd assume.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Lotus Tower

Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:50 pm

The opening of the Lotus Tower in Colombo, Sri Lanka for both public viewing and broadcasting communications has been delayed until next year, even though the tower was inaugurated on September 16.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/world/2 ... 46962.html
 
johns624
Posts: 2227
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Lotus Tower

Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:01 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The opening of the Lotus Tower in Colombo, Sri Lanka for both public viewing and broadcasting communications has been delayed until next year, even though the tower was inaugurated on September 16.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/world/2 ... 46962.html

Are the people waiting in line for the observation tower going to camp out until the tower opens or are they giving out place numbers?
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Lotus Tower

Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:13 am

johns624 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
The opening of the Lotus Tower in Colombo, Sri Lanka for both public viewing and broadcasting communications has been delayed until next year, even though the tower was inaugurated on September 16.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/world/2 ... 46962.html

Are the people waiting in line for the observation tower going to camp out until the tower opens or are they giving out place numbers?

Opening day will be announced in advance.
 
johns624
Posts: 2227
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: (Famous) Cities / Places / Sights Questions and Discussion Thread - 2019

Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:48 am

Do you plan on attending? The pictures from the top would be outstanding...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: zrs70 and 43 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos