JetAwayDrew
Topic Author

September 11, 2001 ... 18 Years Later. Never Forget!

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Today marks the 18th anniversary of one of the darkest days in American History, September 11, 2001.

This is for the flight attendant who bravely tended to her passengers before their hijacked aircraft slammed into the World Trade Center ~ For the wife who stopped on the stairs and called her husband to say, "I will love you forever," before the building collapsed around her. ~ For the mothers and fathers who kissed their children goodbye, not knowing those tender kisses would be their last ~ For the husband who told his pregnant wife, "please raise our son so he never forgets his daddy," before his plane crashed into a field in Pennsylvania ~ For the policemen and firemen who rushed to save the lives of strangers, only to perish themselves ~ And for the soldiers who fought back for our country and lost their lives. Today, tomorrow and forever ... WE WILL REMEMBER!

What are your memories of that tragic day?

Jgsushi

Re: September 11, 2001 ... 18 Years Later. Never Forget!

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:27 pm

This is truly a tragic day that we'll never forget. I wasn't alive yet, but the effects are still tangible today.

Does anyone have ATC recordings of planes being diverted on 9/11/01? I can find recordings of the hijackings, but nothing involving the rest of the sky.
Lmao the A220's engines (PW1500G) at low thrust levels sound like Chewbacca

Revelation

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Cool article from a fighter pilot who was prepared to ram the incoming 757 that crashed when passengers overwhelmed the hijackers:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/f- ... story.html

Incidentally she is female and she has not spoken publicly about this till now.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Revelation

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Also, for some chilling memories, read the a.net thread from that very morning:

viewtopic.php?t=105795

Revelation

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:30 pm

JetAwayDrew wrote:

In 2015 in our thread viewtopic.php?t=594817 I wrote the following:

I was driving in to work about 50 miles from BOS. It was a crystal clear day. My soon to be ex wife called on my cell phone saying that a small plane had crashed into the WTC. As a good aviation geek and historian I thought of the bomber that crashed into the Empire State Building during the 1940s, but I knew that previous crash happened on a very cloudy day with no ATC help so I was wondering how someone could crash into the WTC on a crystal clear day? I suppose I should have been more concerned about her rather than the WW2 bomber. My bad

In to work at one of the world's largest networking companies and there was hall chat about it but no one really knew much because (a) all the web sites were overloaded so you couldn't get an update and (b) we had no actual physical TV set capable of receiving broadcasts anywhere on our corporate campus!

Finally one guy who is a Cypriot managed to pull up a web site in Cyprus that was rebroadcasting a TV channel from Greece that was rebroadcasting CNN! Strange, eh? I heard about what was happening via the CNN video and the small bits of audio that the Cypriot and Greek broadcasters didn't talk over, and whatever my Cypriot friend could translate.

By the time the 2nd building fell we were in a state of shock. The senior executive on campus showed great compassion by saying "there's nothing here for you today, go home and be with your family". Well, the family thing wasn't happening so I decided the best thing to do was to drive to the ocean and try to be one with the waves and the tides, which always relaxes me.

So, I happen to be driving along the New Hampshire coast and then in a flash I realize I've done a really stupid thing: I've driven to the largest target in the region! I was driving right past the biggest nuclear power plant in the area whilst the radio was telling us to be careful because there still were lots of airplanes in the air and no one knew if any more of them were going to be taken over by terrorists! Again, my bad. I said screw it, if they come they come, and so I went off to the beach and watched the waves crash in, and it did relax me.

So, that's it, from my personal view. Not quite as interesting as some of the airline professionals in this thread, but it'll have to do.

It's a thread worth rereading, especially #2 from longhauler.

One note: keep in mind that in 2001 the internet of course did exist but it was much slower than what we now have, especially with regard to video. Servers just did not have the capacity to keep up on that day.

mga707

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:43 pm

Revelation wrote:
JetAwayDrew wrote:

In to work at one of the world's largest networking companies and there was hall chat about it but no one really knew much because (a) all the web sites were overloaded so you couldn't get an update and (b) we had no actual physical TV set capable of receiving broadcasts anywhere on our corporate campus!

I am surprised that no one at your company kept a radio at their desk. My news about that day was almost strictly from radio, as I was first in the air, ISP-BWI, mid-flight when the first tower was struck, landing just after the second tower was hit. Then I scrambled to get one of the last rental cars available at BWI and hit the road cross-country to complete my trip back home to TUS, as obviously my connecting flights (BWI-MCI, MCI-ABQ-TUS) had been cancelled. So the radio in the vehicle (Chevy [Suzuki] Tracker, switched the second day to a much more comfortable and longer-ranged Malibu at BNA) was my news source that entire Tuesday as I drove, first west on I-70 to Frederick, then SW on I-81 to I-40, stopping for the night just west of Knoxville TN. All stations had switched to news updates, many taking the CNN Headline News (now HLN) live feed. I did not actually see the Twin Towers or Pentagon videos from that morning until I was in my motel room in Farragut TN that night.

ericalexandre76

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Revelation wrote:
Cool article from a fighter pilot who was prepared to ram the incoming 757 that crashed when passengers overwhelmed the hijackers:

What is incidental about the pilot being female?

32andBelow

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Revelation wrote:

That article is from 2011

Revelation

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:59 pm

ericalexandre76 wrote:

It's incidental to the story.

32andBelow wrote:
That article is from 2011

Sorry, for the mislead, it just showed up on my Twitter from today, and I didn't check the date.

steeler83

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:14 pm

I was 18 and a senior in high school. When the planes hit the twin towers, I was in trigonometry class. I didn't find out what was happening until my next class, which was social studies and in a classroom with a TV.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

TYWoolman

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:20 pm

A bit of each of us died that day. Never Forget. And to the "Jumpers"
God. Rest. Your. Souls.

Turned the TV on to one tower burning. Then unknowingly at the time witnessed the United 767-300 hit. Sad. Evil. Patriot's Day forever!

nws2002

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:24 pm

steeler83 wrote:
I was 18 and a senior in high school. When the planes hit the twin towers, I was in trigonometry class. I didn't find out what was happening until my next class, which was social studies and in a classroom with a TV.

I was a senior as well, but had late start that semester. I remember watching the morning news and seeing the second plane hitting the tower and that's when I remember knowing that this wasn't just an accident. School was canceled for us that day, but I do go to my bookstore job later in the day, but the TVs that were usually on music videos or movie trailers were showing the news.

chepos

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Recall that day like it was yesterday, this occurred my first week at college at ERAU. Getting ready for classes I turned on the TV and every channel was broadcasting news (even MTV), I knew something was going on but could not imagine the magnitude. Little did I know many things would change from that point forward. One of those days one will never forget. May all who perished rest in peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Redwood839

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:29 pm

I was in school as well. I remember we had an old box TV in each class room and we were just finishing the pledge of allegiance when my teacher put the news on. She told us later that it was a movie and to ignore it.

I went to school pretty close to March ARB and pretty soon a lot of jets started flying. For the next couple of days all you could see were jets flying around in formation. Then the antrax came, and entire houses started getting covered against chemical attacks.

Very sad day that marked my childhood.

R.I.P to those that lost their lives, may we never forget.

bmartino99

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:34 pm

Revelation wrote:
JetAwayDrew wrote:

Incredibly moving to read that thread. I remember exactly where I was that day, I was in 10th grade sitting in class in Sarasota, Florida the same city as President Bush. We had the TV on to watch him read to kids at a local elementary school. We saw the 2nd plane hit and both towers collapse live.

Edit: I quoted the wrong post. Was referring to the original thread from 9/11/01 that you posted.

ericalexandre76

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:03 pm

Revelation wrote:
ericalexandre76 wrote:

It's incidental to the story.

You did not answer the question, and why highlight this incidental aspect? Might you have been surprised to discover that the fighter pilot in question is female? Or why did you feel the need to highlight this incidental part of the story?

OmerMaz

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Revelation wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=105795

Perhaps one of the most eering readings I had on 9/11.

I was just a kid, we watched TV at home and then...chaos all over the screen.

In the recent decade, I had the oppurtunity to visit ground zero twice...It sometimes unbelivable what the human kind can accomplish, for good, or bad.

May all victims rest in peace, and may those whom survived the horrors, will be able to march forward, and continue on to live their life to the fullest.

casinterest

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Revelation wrote:
JetAwayDrew wrote:

I was driving in to work about 50 miles from BOS. It was a crystal clear day. My soon to be ex wife called on my cell phone saying that a small plane had crashed into the WTC. As a good aviation geek and historian I thought of the bomber that crashed into the Empire State Building during the 1940s, but I knew that previous crash happened on a very cloudy day with no ATC help so I was wondering how someone could crash into the WTC on a crystal clear day? I suppose I should have been more concerned about her rather than the WW2 bomber. My bad

Finally one guy who is a Cypriot managed to pull up a web site in Cyprus that was rebroadcasting a TV channel from Greece that was rebroadcasting CNN! Strange, eh? I heard about what was happening via the CNN video and the small bits of audio that the Cypriot and Greek broadcasters didn't talk over, and whatever my Cypriot friend could translate.

By the time the 2nd building fell we were in a state of shock. The senior executive on campus showed great compassion by saying "there's nothing here for you today, go home and be with your family". Well, the family thing wasn't happening so I decided the best thing to do was to drive to the ocean and try to be one with the waves and the tides, which always relaxes me.

So, I happen to be driving along the New Hampshire coast and then in a flash I realize I've done a really stupid thing: I've driven to the largest target in the region! I was driving right past the biggest nuclear power plant in the area whilst the radio was telling us to be careful because there still were lots of airplanes in the air and no one knew if any more of them were going to be taken over by terrorists! Again, my bad. I said screw it, if they come they come, and so I went off to the beach and watched the waves crash in, and it did relax me.

So, that's it, from my personal view. Not quite as interesting as some of the airline professionals in this thread, but it'll have to do.

It's a thread worth rereading, especially #2 from longhauler.

One note: keep in mind that in 2001 the internet of course did exist but it was much slower than what we now have, especially with regard to video. Servers just did not have the capacity to keep up on that day.

I had to find out from the bbc that day. CNN locked after the initial report. And i worked at a big firm with big( for those days) pipes into the building. Work pretty much stopped and we watched the 2nd tower fall live in our cafeteria. People were crying and in utter shock . I remember at the time the information was so disjointed and yet happening live. The reports from those days on cnn,fox, cbs and abc are still up on youtube and worth a watch. Even the howard stern show takes an important turn on that day.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Revelation

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:19 pm

ericalexandre76 wrote:
Might you have been surprised to discover that the fighter pilot in question is female?

Nope, not at all.

ericalexandre76 wrote:
Or why did you feel the need to highlight this incidental part of the story?

Because the story itself did highlight this incidental part of the story.

Any more ax grinding to do, or did we grind it to dust already?

ltbewr

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:20 pm

In recent years as to the events of 9/11, especially as to the WTC site, we have seen more attention to the after effects on those who were involved in the rescue, recovery and clean up of the site as well as those who worked and lived in the area. There have been higher than normal rates of those persons prematurely dying and suffering various cancers and illnesses. It also points out the use of lies for political reasons.

Yes, it might have been near impossible to properly contain the toxic waste and smoke exposures from the WTC site or have people use despite the heat proper sealed outfits to protect them, but it was the infamous decision by Pres. Bush, EPA head Christine Whtiman and Mayor Giuliani to allow the total lie that 'the air was safe' in and near the WTC site that lead to those excess deaths and illnesses. That decision was made for political reasons. There was a dire need to our political leaders to show the world that 'the terrorists' didn't win by not shutting down the heart of the USA financial, banking and insurance services for months on end. In particular the NY Stock Exchange which was not yet into mostly computer trading, was to be reopened as soon as possible even if the people were in harms way. Even earlier this year, Republicans were trying to end the funding of programs of victims of post-9/11 medical and early death claims, fortunately attention to their horrible idea was overwhelmed by public support to continue sufficient funding indefinitely.

tommy1808

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:30 pm

bmartino99 wrote:
I remember exactly where I was that day,

Heard "a plane has crashed in NY" from my then gfs mom in the car from the train station, just having returned from the US after 3 otherwise great weeks with friends in Michigan.
Made it home by the time the 2nd plane had hit, it being clear this wasn't an accident. Was pretty happy we skipped on a layover in NY for lack of funds. And both being economy students we would have been somewhere around that area otherwise. Had just about anyone call that day that knew we had been in the US, but not exactly when we returned, and most of them knew we planned those 1~2 nights in NY initially.

Spend pretty much the rest of the day in stunned silence in front of the TV. Second time in my life news from the US actually got my eyes to tear up, the other being January 28th 1986.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Revelation

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:38 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Second time in my life news from the US actually got my eyes to tear up, the other being January 28th 1986.

Yep in the 2015 thread I brought up the Space Shuttle disaster as one of the other major "WTF?" moments in my life.

I probably should have mentioned the death of Princess Diana as well.

Cadet985

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:47 pm

On September 11, 2001, I was waiting for one period to end and another to start. I was outside of Mr. Datz’s US Government class a few minutes early as usual, because my elevator pass let me leave class a few minutes early to get to the next class. He usually finished teaching each class with a few minutes to go in the period, and when this happened, he’d turn on CNN. He knew I was waiting in the hall. He poked his head out, and said, “I think you better come watch this.” At that time, one tower was on fire. Shortly after, the principal made an announcement holding all classes for a few minutes, and instructing all teachers to turn on the classroom TV’s.

Shortly after classes cycled, the second plane hit. I looked at my classmate behind me and I said, “I think World War III just started.”

When we went to the next period — my “lunch,” I pardoned myself from my friends and went up to the mentally gifted program’s classroom, knowing there’d be a television on in there. It was there that I heard one of our local newscasters, Ukee Washington say that Philadelphia schools were dismissing early.

A friend’s mom drove me home. I got in my house, hugged my mom, found out that my dad was staying at the school he was working at to make sure all students got picked up. I then called our cadet commander in Civil Air Patrol and asked what our orders were. She told me to have my gear ready and to standby.

We didn’t have school the following day; they used that day to talk to teachers about how to talk to the students about the attacks. When we went back on Thursday, I tracked down the principal, and told him that being in Civil Air Patrol, he needed to know I was on standby, and might have to leave school suddenly, and that I also needed a cell phone. He gave me no trouble after I showed him my credentials and explained how I was trained.

Thankfully, we weren’t needed.

Until I left for college, my uniform hung on my bedroom doorframe, and my gear was packed and ready to go on short notice. And even in college (which was just outside NYC), my uniform and gear were at the ready.

Marc

BestWestern

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:58 pm

I was working for a subsidiary of Delta in 2001. I was in London, my trip to Atlanta cancelled that week. We were on a conference call with HQ at the time.

We all expected to lose our jobs in the weeks and months after. Many did. I was a lucky survivor.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

nine4nine

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:01 pm

I took a boys trip with some fellow airline buddies from a few various airlines in September 2001. We had flown LAX-LAS-CMH-BOS outbound on space available buddy passes and were scheduled out Monday BOS-LAS-LAX but the flights that Monday were oversold. We went back to BOS early Tuesday morning and the HP bookings were full again. I had to get back to LA for work and couldn’t hang another day unplanned so I bought a walk up fare and had no problem getting a seat on UA175. The crazy thing for me was this was the previous Tuesday, 9/4/01 to Tuesday September 11. To this day I wonder if I had the chance to interact with any of the crew or had even been on that same airframe.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120

Tugger

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:13 pm

I remember it well. On the west coast so it was early, was at a friends house taking care of their cats while on my way to work and turned on the TV for the few minutes I was there. The news had the one tower with smoke billowing out, then a black dot came into view on the image and the second tower blew out..... Just stood their stunned for a bit knowing this must be an attack. At work everything was hush and muted, everyone doing work but basically just in motion doing so. There was a TV but just used for video stuff, no link outside. So I dragged it to the conference room and grabbed a 10' piece of wire and cobbled together an antenna. Not great reception but good enough to get one local channel. People just came and went checking what was happening and then just after noon they let everyone go home early. I went home and my wife worried what kind world we had brought our 9 month old into....

After, I remember the quiet and empty skies. I had never really noticed how much aviation we have going on here but absolutely realized it due to its absence. Amazing how quiet can be the loudest thing around.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

TYWoolman

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:24 pm

Revelation wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Second time in my life news from the US actually got my eyes to tear up, the other being January 28th 1986.

Yep in the 2015 thread I brought up the Space Shuttle disaster as one of the other major "WTF?" moments in my life.....

I second that. Space Shuttle disaster engrained in horror.

mattyfitzg

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 pm

Remember it like it was yesterday, sat in the scoffhouse at my barracks in Bickleigh watching the horror unfold on the TV. Bods walking in asking what film we were watching not realising it was BBC News.

Seeing CNN declaring a war on terror the same evening sent shivers down our spines as we knew what was about to inevitably go down. Little did we know it was to last that long and take us to the places it did.

Etched in my memory, will unfortunately never forget it.

Planes4you

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Is this person that predicted it still active on this site

71Zulu

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:07 pm

Planes4you wrote:
Don't know if he predicted it, I remember more like him asking what if it happened. Supposedly he got a visit from the FBI soon after it happened. Don't think he's active anymore.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bmartino99

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:26 pm

71Zulu wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
Don't know if he predicted it, I remember more like him asking what if it happened. Supposedly he got a visit from the FBI soon after it happened. Don't think he's active anymore.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm sure its been covered in our fictional works, but a situation like 9/11 was played out in Tom Clancy's Debt of Honor. In his story a JAL captain flies a 747 into the US Capitol Building during a special joint session of congress. I'm almost certain the events of 9/11 are the reason Debt of Honor was never made into a film.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:39 pm

I was the ADO at a Reserve wing about to start the weekly scheduling meeting. Someone walked in with the news. Wing CC said, “we’re at war, boys”. Meeting was over

Junction

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Revelation wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=105795

The Airliners.net thread from that day is probably one of the best sources available anywhere to illustrate the way everything unfolded. Hope it never gets lost.

southwest1675

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:45 pm

My mom’s friend flew on United 175 a few weeks before the attack.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

eagles94

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:53 pm

Junction wrote:
Revelation wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=105795

The Airliners.net thread from that day is probably one of the best sources available anywhere to illustrate the way everything unfolded. Hope it never gets lost.

A Very chilling read.
Highly doubt it, but is the thread where it was “predicted” still active?

Revelation

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:04 pm

eagles94 wrote:
Junction wrote:
Revelation wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=105795

A Very chilling read.

Highly doubt it, but is the thread where it was “predicted” still active?

Again, not a prediction per se, just a coincidental 'what are the odds of' kind of hypothesis.

And yes, it still exists: viewtopic.php?t=60625

Aaron747

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:14 pm

I come back to this day in different ways every year, absorbing the day’s news, victims’ stories, reflecting on relatives who narrowly avoided being involved through blind luck....and am consistently irritated that the wild conspiracies persist, with so many beliefs and statements that make high school physics teachers across the nation roll their eyes in shame. Also irritated that victims’ families seeking a semblance of justice get stonewalled by every WH to protect a certain ‘ally’.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

N649DL

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:17 pm

I'm actually surprised I'm not the only one who was delayed timing-wise in finding out what was really going on as a freshman in high school. It does feel like it was yesterday.

I grew up about 50 mins from NYC and the loud speaker in my 3rd period biology class was broken when the principal made an announcement about the attacks. 4th period was gym, and if you recall you don't really do any work for the first few weeks of school (typically because it takes time to assign gym lockers) so was generally a loud assembly on the bleachers. I went to the bathroom halfway into the class by the front office and saw about a dozen girls running up and down the halls crying. It was unusual, but not knowing about the attacks yet I immediately thought it was another type of Columbine School Shooting or something. School shootings were on the rise in the late 1990s.

I went back to gym and asked someone in my class if something was wrong because I witnessed a bunch of people crying. He said an announcement was made about an a plane hitting the WTC. I said it was probably an accident and he said it was some airliner, but couldn't remember who. I then went on my CD player which at the time had TV frequencies built in on it but I couldn't hear well as it was so loud in gym, and 5th period was even louder during lunch, and the reception was terrible. By 5th period I knew it was terrorism as a friend of mine said he was "Moving to Canada" freaking the hell out, I thought I heard "TWA" somewhere listening to the TV stations on my CD player. I said that probably makes sense since they were the only US airline that flew to the Middle East back then.

I didn't find out until 6th period in Mechanical Drawing class over the radio, that there were 4 planes hi-jacked, both UA an AA, both WTC tower fell to the ground, and one (UA 93) IIRC was still missing. My Dad was flying EWR-DTW that day and I'll never forgot how my XC / Track coach bullied me about calling my Dad from his office since he wasn't picking up and didn't know where he was (he ended up going home and the plane never took off. ) For other reasons, for the next four years we both hated each other but this was the first incident where I thought that this was substantial evidence that he was a really selfish P.O.S.

IIRC, 40 people from my hometown in NJ died in the WTC that day but none were on UAL 93. R.I.P. and never forget.

southwest1675 wrote:

There was a girl I briefly dated in early 2016 from BOS and said her family was shocked on 9/11 because regularly flew UA 175 for work, business, and to visit extended relatives in the LAX area. And she wasn't into aviation at all, her and her family knew that flight number by heart because they flew it so much. She was about 5-6 years younger than me which is even crazier because I was 14 in 2001.

TWA772LR

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:32 pm

I was in 3rd grade and didn't learn about what happened until I got home from school. My brother was in 8th grade and told me airplanes hit the twin towers and I wasn't sure what he meant. We then turned on CNN and had it on the rest of the day. My mom came home from work distraught since she told a lot of Continental Express pilots that their training was "on hold". I vaguely remember talking with my mom about what this all meant on the drive to get McDonalds that night.

In hindsight, I'm glad I was young when it happened and naive to all the changes (I knew changes were going on in the immediate years following, but didn't realize the magnitude or necessarily why) afterward due to being only 8 years old. Growing up with the post-9/11 strictness just feels like business as normal for my generation.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:44 am

9/11 was the day the world went from the optimism to the 1990s to the dark days of the 2000s. How could anyone forget it?

I dare say that all the strife we're facing in the world today can be traced back to that particular day.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

einsteinboricua

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:21 am

Verbatim from last year's thread (I may turn this into a thing):

I still remember being in 7th grade Spanish when our homeroom teacher walked in to tell our Spanish teacher what had happened (this was past 10:28 when the North Tower finally succumbed). This was 2001: classrooms in our school weren't equipped with TVs, radios, or computers to learn about what was happening. Teachers kept quiet. Rumors and speculation spread like wildfire: "a plane had crashed into the White House and another into the Capitol". "There was a biological attack.". I remember getting on the bus to my grandparents and the driver was tuned to AM radio. I got to my grandparents' place and they were tuned into CNN En Español. The images replayed over and over again. News outlets were so focused on the big events that it wasn't until a few days later that we were told about WTC 7 falling that day as well. It was a very somber week while the reality set in.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Aaron747

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:04 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
9/11 was the day the world went from the optimism to the 1990s to the dark days of the 2000s. How could anyone forget it?

I dare say that all the strife we're facing in the world today can be traced back to that particular day.

For the west or North America yes - but there were already very dark days in the 90s in the Balkans, in Israel, in Nigeria, Somalia, the Asian financial crisis, etc. Let’s not forget the doses of homegrown domestic terror in the US and Japan in the 90s as well. Just some perspective.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Kiwirob

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:45 am

southwest1675 wrote:

I once drove down a road where there was a fatal car accident the same time the following day.

tommy1808

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:24 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Just some perspective.

All true, however, in terms of victims within an hour due to war and terror this was probably the deadliest since Nagasaki and beyond the carnage of the first hour of D-day.

It does stand out a bit. And those events that came near are no less remembered.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Pittsburgher

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:42 am

Out of curiosity, does anybody on here have any information about diversions involving PIT on 9/11? I found one common post from an A.net member on a few threads with a list of AA and TW diverted flights that he had saved immediately after the tragedy. I'm hoping that someone on here may have a similar list for US flights given the large presence at PIT during that period. I'm mainly curious about the daily US A333 flights from FRA and LGW as well as the 762 from CDG.

Also, I remember reading of a US Airways Flight 542 which was apparently one of the near misses with UA 175. Does anyone have any info on this?

VapourTrails

Re: September 11, 2001 ... 18 Years Later - Never Forget!

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:34 am

For those who are interested, Beverley Bass, a 777 American Airlines Captain on 9/11 who diverted to Canada was interviewed about that day, this week.

The 23-minute podcast also includes discussion about 'the lost decade' of 9/11, survivor guilt, her colleagues, her attitudes to aviation and flying after 9/11, her early career, and her experiences as a female pilot, and her involvement with the musical 'Come From Away'. Source: https://youtu.be/8u7HSqC4N4Q?t=2

There is also a longer 46 minute podcast that I found, which was broadcast in May this year. It's an Australian website, so I hope this one works international. https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/c ... s/11060672

Incidentally, the musical was on in Melbourne in July, but I still haven't had a chance to see it. I also notice she has written a book, which I will add to my reading list. :profile:

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

:worried: It changed a lot and affected us all in some way, to this day. RIP to those who lost their lives and the death toll that continues to rise due to illness from 9/11. :frown:
A.net member: 2001-2004, 2014-

Revelation

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I once drove down a road where there was a fatal car accident the same time the following day.

Surely you can tune in a media silo that presents things to your own liking by now, Rob?

If you can't find a silo that this event hasn't bled into, you should just admit the event has a lot of significance to a lot of other people, and apply your favorite coping mechanism.

Or maybe public bitching is your favorite coping mechanism?

melpax

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:38 pm

The attacks happened late night Australian time, around 10.30PM. I remember watching the West Wing when a newsflash came on in a breaksaying that a 'light plane' had hit one of the WTC towers. This was quickly followed by another newsflash with the first pictures, and I realised that it was not a Cessna that had hit the tower,,,, I spent the rest of the night switching between the 3 commercial networks (who were basically showing the US network feeds), and CNN & Fox News. Not much sleep was had that night....

The Australian PM (John Howard) was in DC at the time on a state visit. He was evacuated to the basement of the Australian Embassy, his wife & son were also dragged in off the street..

An interesting article on what happened in Canberra at the time. Ansett also went into Administration on the morning of the 12th, the aftermath of 9/11 ensured that AN would fold.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/it-was- ... 1k21y.html
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

mham001

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:14 pm

They don't talk about it at all in my daughter's schools in California. Not even mentioned, I ask my kids every year. It isn't politically correct, it may offend the occasional Muslim kid.

Tugger

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:18 pm

mham001 wrote:
They don't talk about it at all in my daughter's schools in California. Not even mentioned, I ask my kids every year. It isn't politically correct, it may offend the occasional Muslim kid.

I have no idea what you are talking about. My kids school (here in California) has it and they discuss it in their classes and have a moment of remembrance etc. on the anniversary every year for it.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin