miaami
Topic Author

AA ending sponsorship rights to Miami Heat Arena

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:54 pm

Looks like the Miami Heat Arena will have a new sponsor soon.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/american-a ... w-sponsor/

MartyMcFlyYYC

Re: AA ending sponsorship rights to Miami Heat Arena

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:22 pm

Spirit Airlines Arena here we come! LOL

blockski

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Well, this will help resolve the confusion of the American Airlines Arena in Miami and the American Airlines Center in Dallas...

They timed the end of the US Airways sponsorship of the arena in Phoenix to just barely avoid having three arenas in the same league with the same sponsor...

thekorean

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Is it me or are legacy carriers pulling out of stadium name rights deals left and right? Only one I can think of left is American Airlines Center in Dallas. It used to be everywhere. Continental Airlines Arena, US Airways Center etc. Remember 2006 NBA Finals? American Airlines Series.

deltalaw

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:34 pm

I think the naming rights deals on stadiums are just too expensive these days and airlines are choosing to spend the marketing dollars elsewhere. I fondly remember the Delta Center in SLC, but if you look at the dollars that were spent by Mercedes Benz in New Orleans and Atlanta it’s just crazy.

blockski

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:47 pm

thekorean wrote:
Is it me or are legacy carriers pulling out of stadium name rights deals left and right? Only one I can think of left is American Airlines Center in Dallas. It used to be everywhere. Continental Airlines Arena, US Airways Center etc. Remember 2006 NBA Finals? American Airlines Series.

United re-upped their United Center deal in Chicago for another 20 years.

The Continental Airlines Arena no longer exists; the US Airways Center deal was conveniently set to expire at about the same time US/AA was going to retire the US branding.

Delta did let their naming rights in Utah expire, but they've also opted for a substantial marketing presence in all sorts of sports stadiums across the US, even if not for the marquis naming rights. Some examples:

Yankee Stadium: https://news.delta.com/delta-becomes-pe ... ee-stadium
Minnesota Vikings: https://news.delta.com/renewal-vikings- ... ky360-club
Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United: http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/delt ... franchises

They even signed up the Washington Nationals as their official airline, right in the backyard of United, American, and Southwest: https://news.delta.com/delta-steps-plat ... -nationals

Cointrin330

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:55 pm

Naming rights doe nothing for the bottom line. Little brand equity benefits. It's expensive and multi-year requirements make them onerous.

alasizon

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:55 pm

thekorean wrote:

Not as much of a need anymore, the public knows the big airlines and are more price sensitive than ever.

I think DL's sponsorship of the Nats and their branding behind home plate is probably the most efficient when it comes to "reminding" the public of the airline while spending a reasonable amount of money.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

Revelation

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:14 pm

deltalaw wrote:
I think the naming rights deals on stadiums are just too expensive these days and airlines are choosing to spend the marketing dollars elsewhere. I fondly remember the Delta Center in SLC, but if you look at the dollars that were spent by Mercedes Benz in New Orleans and Atlanta it’s just crazy.

I think in many cases the market has been depressed due to so many venues offering naming rights.

It's just not very exclusive or prestigious to have a stadium named after your business any more.

I've lost track of how many "Verizon Center" venues there are.

The "LA Chargers" had a hard time finding a "naming partner" after one season of going with "Stub Hub Center".

But some of the high end or unique facilities appear to hold their value, such as NO and ATL.

In my area, various parts of "Gillette Stadium" have their own naming rights.

Sooner or later they will get around to selling naming rights for the bogs, or even individual fixtures.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

DLASFlyer

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:24 pm

thekorean wrote:

There's an Alaska Airlines Arena in Seattle and Alaska Airlines Center in Anchorage. Both named fairly recently.

Chemist

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:26 pm

Well, given that the legroom in the arena beat's AA's coach, and now the seats are harder in the planes than in the arena, it makes sense to withdraw lest a comparison be made.

KFLLCFII

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:47 pm

MartyMcFlyYYC wrote:

An airline not even at MIA? Nah.

El Centro de LATAM. :wink2:
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Sancho99504

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:43 pm

blockski wrote:
thekorean wrote:

United re-upped their United Center deal in Chicago for another 20 years.

The Continental Airlines Arena no longer exists; the US Airways Center deal was conveniently set to expire at about the same time US/AA was going to retire the US branding.

Delta did let their naming rights in Utah expire, but they've also opted for a substantial marketing presence in all sorts of sports stadiums across the US, even if not for the marquis naming rights. Some examples:

Yankee Stadium: https://news.delta.com/delta-becomes-pe ... ee-stadium
Minnesota Vikings: https://news.delta.com/renewal-vikings- ... ky360-club
Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United: http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/delt ... franchises

They even signed up the Washington Nationals as their official airline, right in the backyard of United, American, and Southwest: https://news.delta.com/delta-steps-plat ... -nationals

I believe that Delta didn't go for the naming rights again when the deal was up due to their being in bankruptcy, otherwise they would have done it again.
Continental let their deal expire because the Devils were headed to Newark and the rumors about the Nets going to Brooklyn started popping up.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

cledaybuck

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:13 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
Naming rights doe nothing for the bottom line. Little brand equity benefits. It's expensive and multi-year requirements make them onerous.

Allegiant apparently disagrees.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

STT757

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:19 am

There was the TWA Dome in St. Louis, and JetBlue has the Red Sox Spring Training stadium in Fort Myers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

HP69

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:44 am

Wonder if WN would consider picking the arena up, as a way to increase their brand in South FL.

KLMatSJC

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:07 am

MartyMcFlyYYC wrote:

We already have Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas. This would only be fitting. Maybe one of the Denver facilities gets renamed "Frontier Center".
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

thekorean

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:11 am

DLASFlyer wrote:
thekorean wrote:

There's an Alaska Airlines Arena in Seattle and Alaska Airlines Center in Anchorage. Both named fairly recently.

Are they legacy carriers though?

elbandgeek

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:15 am

HP69 wrote:
Wonder if WN would consider picking the arena up, as a way to increase their brand in South FL.

When US Cellular pulled out of the Chicago market and the Sox stadium rights were gonna be sold I had hoped WN would have jumped on it since the southside connection with MDW would have made for a good marketing angle

and then we got guaranteed downward arrow :|

rbavfan

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:43 am

thekorean wrote:

Huge annual investment with limited profit effect to the airlines. Other businesses have learned as well to avoid it. If the team plays badly or a player causes some big issue newsworthy issue, it reflects on the sponsoring company Image also.

FLALEFTY

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:45 am

cledaybuck wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

Maurice Gallagher, CEO of Allegiant, is considering shutting down the NASCAR Xfinity Series team he has owned for several years (with his cars usually sporting Allegiant sponsorship wraps). Meanwhile, his airline is finalizing the naming rights for the new Las Vegas (soon to be ex-Oakland) Raiders NFL stadium. Could there be a connection here?

alasizon

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:30 am

thekorean wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:
thekorean wrote:

Yes. AS is a legacy carrier by definition (inter-state routes prior to deregulation) although not part of the US3.

910A

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:35 am

blockski wrote:
Well, this will help resolve the confusion of the American Airlines Arena in Miami and the American Airlines Center in Dallas...

They timed the end of the US Airways sponsorship of the arena in Phoenix to just barely avoid having three arenas in the same league with the same sponsor...

Remember, US inherited the sponsorship when America West took over US. US wasn't going to renew the licensing, so it just happen that the AWA/US sponsorship was due to end at the time of the AA merger.

This article https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dai ... enter.aspx will give you an idea what it costs to put one's name on a building these days.
Last edited by 910A on Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LAX772LR

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:37 am

thekorean wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:

Yes.

The remaining mainline Legacy carriers are AA, DL, UA, and AS, because they were the carriers with interstate pax/mail authorization prior to deregulation.

WN and HA may be legacy-like, but they are not Legacy carriers as they didn't have the rights for interstate ops until 1978, and didn't begin such ops until 1979 and 1984 respectively.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

September11

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:40 am

Speaking of Miami Heat arena, I think American Airlines name will still be there...
Airliners.net of the Future

alasizon

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:52 am

September11 wrote:
Speaking of Miami Heat arena, I think American Airlines name will still be there...

Based on?

friendlyskies22

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:52 am

UA forked over 70M to USC to name the 95 year old LA Coliseum. Then there was an outcry so they downgraded it to
United Airlines Field. One sign above the new press box and almost unreadable field markings, and I didn't hear any
USC announcers mention United at the recent USC game, and the Rams are leaving after this season. I wonder if UA
got a refund, but doubtful as their CEO was a graduate of USC. So only 6 college games a year at that venue after this year
until the Olympics in 2028. Wise investment??

gregn21

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:34 am

friendlyskies22 wrote:
UA forked over 70M to USC to name the 95 year old LA Coliseum. Then there was an outcry so they downgraded it to
United Airlines Field. One sign above the new press box and almost unreadable field markings, and I didn't hear any
USC announcers mention United at the recent USC game, and the Rams are leaving after this season. I wonder if UA
got a refund, but doubtful as their CEO was a graduate of USC. So only 6 college games a year at that venue after this year

LOL - Oscar was recently appointed to the board of USC and one can only wonder why. . . The Coli naming rights probably have less to do with rationality and more to do with his personal connections.

Cointrin330

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:33 am

cledaybuck wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

If you consider Allegiant a major Fortune 500 name, then sure.

afcjets

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

US3 and Alaska also disagree and it makes sense for a hometown airline to advertise that in their hometown when two or more airlines have hubs there, as is the case of United in Chicago, American in Dallas, and Alaska in Seattle. While LAS isn't a hub for Allegiant since they don't have any and don't offer connections, it is one of their biggest stations and a WN hub.

slider

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:51 pm

gregn21 wrote:
friendlyskies22 wrote:

LOL - Oscar was recently appointed to the board of USC and one can only wonder why. . . The Coli naming rights probably have less to do with rationality and more to do with his personal connections.

What an egregious waste of marketing spend, IMO.

EA CO AS

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:08 am

My money is on Royal Caribbean stepping in as named sponsor.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

cledaybuck

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

What does the F500 have anything to do with what you said before?
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

seb146

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:15 pm

I was scrolling through my social media feeds this morning and saw this

https://www.cnet.com/news/bangbros-porn ... i-stadium/

and thought it was The Onion at it again. Apparently not. An "adult" web site has paid the application fee for naming rights.

I think Sacramento, Portland, and Phoenix have the right idea. Allow local or regional companies naming rights.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

slider

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:42 pm

seb146 wrote:
I was scrolling through my social media feeds this morning and saw this

https://www.cnet.com/news/bangbros-porn ... i-stadium/

and thought it was The Onion at it again. Apparently not. An "adult" web site has paid the application fee for naming rights.

I think Sacramento, Portland, and Phoenix have the right idea. Allow local or regional companies naming rights.

LOL!

That'll give new meaning to BBC....hahahaha

$10MM won't land that deal, but they just got $10MM worth of free publicity out of this, haha

jetwet1

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:38 am

EA CO AS wrote:
My money is on Royal Caribbean stepping in as named sponsor.

Not a chance, Micky Arison would have Carnival out bid them if it came down to that.

seb146

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:15 pm

I know this is a long shot but what about Brightline sponsoring the arena? I mentioned before about local or regional companies sponsoring arenas like Moda Health Care in Portland and Golden 1 Credit Union in Sacramento and Talking Stick Casino in Phoenix. I could not think of any regional companies in south Florida until now.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

thekorean

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:27 pm

Aren’t they called Virgin Train USA now? It’s an interesting idea.