casinterest
Topic Author

Ric Ocasek: Lead sing of The Cars passed away today

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:16 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Kv6vxZwL8

Ric Ocasek passed away today. His musical influence was across generations, and with the Cars they produced a memorable portion of the 70's and 80's new wave music.
My condolences to his friends, families and fans. Perhaps Eddie left him a ticket to paradise.

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2019/09 ... -of-death/

The Cars‘ lead singer’s specific cause of death has not yet been released. However, Page Six reports that Ocasek appears to have died of unspecified “natural causes.” The site reports that Ocasek’s estranged wife, the model Paulina Porizkova, found him “around 4:14 p.m. inside his Gramercy Park pad.” He was in his 70s. TMZ reports that he was already dead when found.
Where ever you go, there you are.

CaptHadley

Re: Ric Ocasek: Lead sing of The Cars passed away today

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:59 am

Sad, growing up during the very late 70's and most of the 80's. The musicians I grew up listening to are slowly fading away. I can remember seeing Eddie Money on Halloween night and they all came out in costumes. Also Seeing the Cars on their final tour. I've tried but I just can't find any new groups that affect me the way these older bands did.

N14AZ

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:33 am

Heard it on the radio this morning when driving to work... Sad. Rest in peace.

Just downloaded three Cars-songs about two months ago (Stranger eyes, It’s not the night and Heartbeat City).

NIKV69

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:52 pm

Wow Money now him. My childhood music is dying.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

ER757

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:12 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting him and the rest of his band after one of their shows in Chicago in the early 80's. He was very soft-spoken and really down to Earth, no air of superiority or any affectations of being a "rock star." He seems like a genuinely nice person. My condolences to his family

slider

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:50 am

The Cars were a fun as hell band.

When MTV was in its heyday, their videos were consistently creative and groundbreaking.

slider

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:51 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Wow Money now him. My childhood music is dying.

Not to make you feel worse, but the tidal wave is coming...

https://theweek.com/articles/861750/com ... ock-legend

And it's going to suck.

Behold the killing fields that lie before us: Bob Dylan (78 years old); Paul McCartney (77); Paul Simon (77) and Art Garfunkel (77); Carole King (77); Brian Wilson (77); Mick Jagger (76) and Keith Richards (75); Joni Mitchell (75); Jimmy Page (75) and Robert Plant (71); Ray Davies (75); Roger Daltrey (75) and Pete Townshend (74); Roger Waters (75) and David Gilmour (73); Rod Stewart (74); Eric Clapton (74); Debbie Harry (74); Neil Young (73); Van Morrison (73); Bryan Ferry (73); Elton John (72); Don Henley (72); James Taylor (71); Jackson Browne (70); Billy Joel (70); and Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month).

Article is worth a read, though.

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:50 pm

Ocasek's cause of death was released.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/15/us/ric-o ... index.html
He was recovering from surgery at home.

Ocasek died of hypertensive and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, according to a press release Monday from the medical examiner's office. There was a contributing condition of pulmonary emphysema. The manner of death was natural.
Where ever you go, there you are.

aeromoe

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:41 pm

The Cars = one of my favorite bands. RIP Ric. I never did see them in concert (and I'm old enough to have done so in the early 80s) thought I almost went to a Denver show a few years ago when the quartet were touring. Ben will always be missed. Considered seeing The New Cars some 10+ years ago in PHX when they were touring with Blondie / Debbie Harry but let that one slip by. Not sure how Todd Rundgren was on point with The New Cars but i would think it would be reasonably decent.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

aeromoe

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:42 pm

ER757 wrote:
I had the pleasure of meeting him and the rest of his band after one of their shows in Chicago in the early 80's. He was very soft-spoken and really down to Earth, no air of superiority or any affectations of being a "rock star." He seems like a genuinely nice person. My condolences to his family

:smile: :checkmark: Nice memory for you.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K