einsteinboricua
Topic Author

SJWs on the use of "Latinx"

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:25 pm

So, today is the start of National Hispanic Heritage Month, a month meant to celebrate achievements made by the Latin American community in the US. The CFO of my company sent out a message and on the internal networking site, SJWs (Social Justice Warriors) began complaining about the message because:
1. It uses Hispanic (excludes people who come from French and Portuguese speaking countries). I had to comment that the celebration is "HISPANIC Heritage Month" to which the reply was that "we have ways to go as a country".
2. It did not use Latinx, so the gender-neutral folks will not feel included (this is in an LGBT group). I personally HATE this term and refuse to reference anyone as Latinx; how come Latino wasn't an issue years ago? And why is it that actual Hispanic countries don't have a need to use it? It's like a solution in search of a problem.
3. It used Latino/Latina, noting that the male version was used first, which is insensitive to women. Romance languages are gendered and male-oriented so in a group of 49 women and 1 man, the group will use the male version ("ellos").

I'm as liberal as the next guy, but COME ON! The current president stokes violence against Hispanics and all the SJWs can think is to pummel an executive because they didn't use the "correct" gender neutral name? It's almost like they're being offended on behalf of someone. The interesting thing about the folks commenting is that on first glance, none of them are Hispanics.

I had a LONG message but it would have likely gotten me an email from HR for being "insensitive" so all I had to say was that we have bigger things to worry about and instead of complaining about what they consider a "faux-pas" we should be thankful that we can celebrate another aspect of ourselves.

Seriously...no wonder liberals are ridiculed everywhere.

Tell us more about SJWs moments at your workplace or contribute your opinion about Latinx vs Latino.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

mham001

Re: SJWs on the use of "Latinx"

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:57 pm

Just takes more reasonable people like yourself to stand up say 'enough'. Without that, they just get more and more emboldened. Then when it does get shut down, they have histrionic fits.

trpmb6

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:18 pm

I've long wondered when the romantic languages would get attacked for their gendered words, specifically Spanish. I'll admit it took longer than I thought it would.

Given your background einstein, it is refreshing to see you write this. I respect you for having the courage to speak up about it. You're absolutely right in your points. I will make one caveat, and I say this as a politically incorrect conservative, I do think we can make an effort to be less gendered when addressing a group of people. But I fail miserably at this, often saying "what do you guys want to do tonight?" when addressing my group of friends of females and males. This is, of course, easier to do in English than Spanish, French or Portuguese, et. al.

casinterest

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Had a conversation at work about this. Hispanic is probably not the best choice of words when naming this month as it implies that it is for Spanish speakers only. Latino is incorrect as it omits Spain. So it is just another month to covet your heritage if you care about it at all.
Where ever you go, there you are.

mham001

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:47 pm

casinterest wrote:
Had a conversation at work about this. Hispanic is probably not the best choice of words when naming this month as it implies that it is for Spanish speakers only. Latino is incorrect as it omits Spain. So it is just another month to covet your heritage if you care about it at all.

I don't know why we would be celebrating the Spanish colonizers anyway.

This whole Latino/Hispanic/non-white Hispanic is a mess to begin with, brought on of course by SJW's.

seb146

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:00 pm

mham001 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

This whole Latino/Hispanic/non-white Hispanic is a mess to begin with, brought on of course by SJW's.

You were so close then missed. The whole "Latino/Hispanic/non-white Hispanic" mess was brought on by European colonizers.

As far as "latinx" being used, I have not heard it used at all. But, then, I live in a nearly all white community. Even when visiting multicultural areas, I don't hear it. I have heard it on reports about people who say they want a more inclusive society. As with people using they/them pronouns instead of the traditional he or she, I don't care. I use whatever makes them comfortable. At the end of the day, it is no skin off my nose!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:27 pm

casinterest wrote:

The celebration originated with Lyndon Johnson to commemorate 5 Central American nations celebrating their independence on September 15, and including Mexico (Sept 16) and Chile (Sept 18). It was originally just a week-long celebration until a law in 1988 extended it to a full month upon a presidential proclamation. So, yes...the celebration was to commemorate Spanish speakers only.

Now, whether the celebration should be changed to instead include Brazilians and Haitians (who are Latinos but not Hispanic) is a separate topic for discussion.

Tugger

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:37 pm

I thought the whole "latinx" thing was to be inclusive to females primarily due the whole "Latina/Latino" thing that when one is used (and Latino was the primary term used) technically ignores the other half of the population. And the "all the rest" aspect was just a side effect.

Beyond that I don't care much. My best friend is from PR and that place is such a cross of so many you almost can't account for it. We have discussed it and he doesn't care.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

mham001

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:47 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Now, whether the celebration should be changed to instead include Brazilians and Haitians (who are Latinos but not Hispanic) is a separate topic for discussion.

I'm curious, what makes Haitians Latino?

From Google: A gene pool test of Haiti found its people are 95.5% Sub-Saharan African, 4.3% European, and traces of East Asian. http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/haiti-population/

From Google: La·ti·no
noun
(in North America) a person of Latin American origin or descent, especially a man or boy.

Is the idea that you attain Latino heritage through birthright?
At least Brazilians speak a Latin language, something Haitians do not.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:57 pm

mham001 wrote:

From Google: A gene pool test of Haiti found its people are 95.5% Sub-Saharan African, 4.3% European, and traces of East Asian. http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/haiti-population/

noun
(in North America) a person of Latin American origin or descent, especially a man or boy.

Haitians speak French, which is a Latin language. Granted, their French is a Creole version, but it's French nonetheless. By definition, Latin America means the part of the Americas that speak a Latin-derived language, with would be Spanish, French, and Portuguese.

French Canadians, in theory, also could have a claim to call themselves Latinos but are usually not included since Canadians overall are not considered as such.

mham001

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:42 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
mham001 wrote:

noun

Haitians speak French, which is a Latin language. Granted, their French is a Creole version, but it's French nonetheless. By definition, Latin America means the part of the Americas that speak a Latin-derived language, with would be Spanish, French, and Portuguese.

French Canadians, in theory, also could have a claim to call themselves Latinos but are usually not included since Canadians overall are not considered as such.

Ok but Haitians are not descendants of Latin American peoples. Are they Latino by birthright? Otherwise, there is no way Haitians are "Latino".

This fixation some people have with race and ethnicity and Celebrating! our differences has created some interesting dichotomies.

Aaron747

Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:04 am

mham001 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
mham001 wrote:

noun

Ok but Haitians are not descendants of Latin American peoples. Are they Latino by birthright? Otherwise, there is no way Haitians are "Latino".

This fixation some people have with race and ethnicity and Celebrating! our differences has created some interesting dichotomies.

A lot of it is irrelevant now anyway once home-kit genome banding became available. But a lot of people probably don’t *really* want to know what they are.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

mham001

Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:38 am

Aaron747 wrote:

A lot of it is irrelevant now anyway once home-kit genome banding became available. But a lot of people probably don’t *really* want to know what they are.

Irrelevant? Not even close. It begins in Kindergarten and it is relentless. Every year, every child is required to announce their ethnicity on at least 3 forms. If they are mixed, they must choose one as their "stated" ethnicity. So a half white kid can claim a color and be eligible for benefits. Then there's the separate section for Hispanic or non-white Hispanic. It is a mess and it certainly isn't getting any better. Maybe the government should require we all submit our DNA so they can tell us what group we belong?

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:24 am

mham001 wrote:
Then there's the separate section for Hispanic or non-white Hispanic. It is a mess and it certainly isn't getting any better.

Well, the problem with Hispanic/Latino is that the US Census refuses to recognize either as a race. After having a DNA test done, I have no choice but to mark that I am White, Black, and American Indian (or the "two or more races" option) because it's the only way to accurately answer the "race" question.

When it comes to ethnicity, Latino usually shows up so I mark it as such. That's where the whole thing about "Hispanic White" comes from. However, there IS such a thing as Hispanic White. A former classmate of mine can easily pass as European because he's White, with light hair, and bright blue eyes...and his family has always lived in PR.

mham001 wrote:

Haiti came to be as a country of former slaves. Their DNA will likely strongly traced back to Africa. Latino is a demonym for people born in Latin America (which I have already defined). You're confusing Hispanic/Latino (the race) and Hispanic/Latino (the demonym), both of which have no other way to be distinguished from each other. If a Haitian is asked to mark the race, they'll likely claim Black. Yes, it's confusing and note that I am not defending the current system nor advocating for another.

mham001 wrote:

I can make do with the current questions at hand. Blame SJWs who are the PETA of people: getting offended on behalf of others and trying to claim themselves as THE most inclusive person ever.

Speaking about SJWs, the one on the board commented that I always used Latino and never Latina or Latinx and that it was wrong of me. I had half a mind to say that rather than acting offended on someone else's behalf, he should let a self-identified Latino come forth and say they thought I purposely excluded them. But again, if I do so, I'll get a call from HR.

trpmb6 wrote:
I do think we can make an effort to be less gendered when addressing a group of people

We can. I won't deny that. But let's say that I'm with a mixed group of people and I say "what do you guys wanna do now?", I'll be damned if a complete stranger walks up to me and tells me that I'm being insensitive to the ladies in the group because I'm not addressing them properly. The other thing is where do we draw the line? Somehow I have to use Latinx because the third gender world can be offended (in other words, fragile snowflakes). Are they offended when at a ceremony the master of ceremony says "ladies and gentlemen"? Do they now have to say "ladies, gentlemen, transmen, transwomen, gender fluids, and non-binaries"?

There was a discussion I was having on a Facebook group for LGBT. The organizer asked people for interest about attending Pride parade, except he said "gay pride" (which is how the movement began). A transgender woman was offended because she claimed that she was excluded. Soon enough a full discussion went through in that even LGBT is not inclusive. I made the point of how a line has to be drawn somewhere because not everyone will be happy...one member suggested including QIA and making the term LGBTQIA, to which I replied

we’ll need to add another A because one A does not suffice (Asexual or Ally). Add a P for Pansexual, an N for Non-binary, and F for gender-fluid.
Now the acronym is LGBTQIAAPNF.
Anything else to add?

His reply was "well, the more the merrier".

I've stopped commenting there because those are the kind of people that will tell you you're insensitive because you used LGBT instead of QUILTBAG/MOGAI/another acronym.

Aaron747

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:27 am

mham001 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Irrelevant? Not even close. It begins in Kindergarten and it is relentless. Every year, every child is required to announce their ethnicity on at least 3 forms. If they are mixed, they must choose one as their "stated" ethnicity. So a half white kid can claim a color and be eligible for benefits. Then there's the separate section for Hispanic or non-white Hispanic. It is a mess and it certainly isn't getting any better. Maybe the government should require we all submit our DNA so they can tell us what group we belong?

They can decline to state - and if there is gruff for that, call the ACLU.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

SanDiegoLover

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:38 am

mham001 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

WRONG! Link? Which school district are you in? Be specific.

DocLightning

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:38 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
2. It did not use Latinx, so the gender-neutral folks will not feel included (this is in an LGBT group). I personally HATE this term and refuse to reference anyone as Latinx; how come Latino wasn't an issue years ago? And why is it that actual Hispanic countries don't have a need to use it? It's like a solution in search of a problem.

In Spain, their solution to a gender-neutral suffix is o use the @ when written. "¡Buenas tardes, [email protected]!" But pronounced it would be "chicos y chicas"

But in Spanish, "Latinx" doesn't have a valid pronunciation, either.
trpmb6 wrote:
I've long wondered when the romantic languages would get attacked for their gendered words, specifically Spanish.

I think a lot of Anglophones don't understand that the gender of the word really isn't about gender, but grammar. "la corbata" is a (usually man's) necktie, while "el vesido" is a (usually woman's) dress. A scarf is feminine ("la bufanda") even though both genders wear them, while a ballpoint pen is masculine "el bolígrafo," and again is used equally by both genders. And while Spanish is patriarchal (as Einsteinboricua points out, 49 women and one man go under a masculine collective pronoun), I think people over-read into it.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

SanDiegoLover

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:40 am

seb146 wrote:
mham001 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

You were so close then missed. The whole "Latino/Hispanic/non-white Hispanic" mess was brought on by European colonizers.

As far as "latinx" being used, I have not heard it used at all. But, then, I live in a nearly all white community. Even when visiting multicultural areas, I don't hear it. I have heard it on reports about people who say they want a more inclusive society. As with people using they/them pronouns instead of the traditional he or she, I don't care. I use whatever makes them comfortable. At the end of the day, it is no skin off my nose!

I’ve never heard it used either and I live in a 4 million person metro area in the Midwest.

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:49 am

DocLightning wrote:

In Spain, their solution to a gender-neutral suffix is o use the @ when written. "¡Buenas tardes, [email protected]!" But pronounced it would be "chicos y chicas"

Hmmm. . . Canadi>n Airlines solution. . .
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:22 am

DocLightning wrote:

I used to do that too (in chat, because formal writing frowns upon it), but in formal settings I've learned to use 3rd person plural implicitly (a habit from English as well). If a mixed group of people sing beautifully, I'd say something like "¡Qué bien cantan!" instead of "¡Qué bien cantan ellos!", where "ellos" explicitly states who I'm referring to.

But in casual conversation, I have yet to experience someone saying that I am not being inclusive if I refer to a mixed gender group by their masculine adjective.

stl07

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:35 am

You know what's funny...None of my Mexican friends (as in they actually live in Mexico City, not some 1/4th Mexican 3/4ths white SJW in Atlanta) ever use Latinx when they want to be gender-neutral. They use a different word. Guess what it is? Latin American

Suprise.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

DocLightning

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:54 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

I used to do that too (in chat, because formal writing frowns upon it), but in formal settings I've learned to use 3rd person plural implicitly (a habit from English as well). If a mixed group of people sing beautifully, I'd say something like "¡Qué bien cantan!" instead of "¡Qué bien cantan ellos!", where "ellos" explicitly states who I'm referring to.

But in casual conversation, I have yet to experience someone saying that I am not being inclusive if I refer to a mixed gender group by their masculine adjective.

It's true. In conversation, I usually can avoid direct use of pronouns in Spanish because they are implied in the conjugation. However, sometimes it is unavoidable. There is no way to avoid saying "los Mexicanos" or "los Españoles" if you're talking about Mexicans as a whole or Spaniards as a whole as a third party.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Braybuddy

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:46 am

And, of course, there's the absolute horror of using the word "guys" in mixed company: :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hinc_GM2IcQ

mad99

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:53 am

Spain is not that PC and hopefully never will be.

P1aneMad

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:02 am

Braybuddy wrote:
And, of course, there's the absolute horror of using the word "guys" in mixed company: :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hinc_GM2IcQ

That is a GREAT link!

DocLightning wrote:

Are there any Spaniards who actually use the @ symbol to communicate with each other? Or is it only used in public forums and articles by people desperate to score woke points?

extender

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:18 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
The current president stokes violence against Hispanics...

Not true, against illegal, you take it to assume that it means hispanics.

Hispanics/Latinos are not a race, they are an ethnicity.

Aaron747

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:32 am

extender wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Nice, you admit POTUS stokes violence against someone...anyone. I guess we’ll stop hearing any grief about Antifa now...because...consistency?

slider

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:48 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
The current president stokes violence against Hispanics

To quote said POTUS, wrong.

extender

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:55 am

Aaron747 wrote:
extender wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Nice, you admit POTUS stokes violence against someone...anyone. I guess we’ll stop hearing any grief about Antifa now...because...consistency?

You guys are really warped and need the tiniest whiff to keep spreading lies. Link to where the POTUS has promoted violence.

Aaron747

Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:20 pm

extender wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
extender wrote:

You guys are really warped and need the tiniest whiff to keep spreading lies. Link to where the POTUS has promoted violence.

Dayyum, that was easy.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/washin ... lence/amp/

During the Iowa caucuses in Feb. 1, 2016, Trump told a crowd in Cedar Rapids that he would pay the legal fees of supporters who fought with protestors. “If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously, okay? Just knock the hell … I promise you I will pay for the legal fees. I promise, I promise,” he said....

....On Feb. 23, 2016, during a campaign rally in Las Vegas, Trump said of a heckler who was being ejected from the building, “He’s walking out with big high-fives, smiling, laughing. I’d like to punch him in the face, I’ll tell you.”...

...Less than two weeks later, Trump repeated his legal-fees promise to those taking a protester out of a rally in Warren, Mich., saying: “Get him out. Try not to hurt him. If you do, I’ll defend you in court, don’t worry about it.”

Then there was this little nugget:

President Trump asked a Florida audience how to stop migrants from crossing into the United States.
“How do you stop these people? You can’t, there’s —” Trump said, cutting himself off as a rally attendee yelled back, “Shoot them.”

Trump paused and smirked, before responding, “That’s only in the Panhandle can you get away with that statement.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... utType=amp

A proper, decent response would have been one like where then-candidate McCain walked over and took a woman to task for calling his opponent an Arab. Nah, POTUS is too desperate for attention to offend his fans by doing the right thing.

extender

Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:48 pm

Hadn't seen that. But, you guys are offended by everything.

Latinx= bull poop. People are too easily offended these days as most of these threads demonstrate.

Be lucky English is he/she. Spanish can have almost every word identified by gender.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:40 pm

extender wrote:

Latinx= bull poop. People are too easily offended these days as most of these threads demonstrate.

I don't know who you're referring to because I am precisely bringing up how a non-Hispanic is clutching his pearls at the lack of use of Latinx, and no one here has said they're offended.

But kudos for attempting to get the thread back on topic after derailing it.

extender wrote:
Be lucky English is he/she

You clearly haven't heard of ze and it's only a matter of time before the SJWs at work demand that a celebration be recognized for gender neutral folks (because a day for women could be offensive...what about people who don't identify as a woman?).

extender

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:00 pm

Not @ you Stein.

Clearly not, as I don't have to deal with the "ze" of anything. I go by the plumbing, he and she; el, ella, ellos & ellas. Not changing the way that is handled. Funny how the Treaty of Tordesillas screwed Brazil out of proper inclusion.

TSS

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:02 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
extender wrote:

I don't know who you're referring to because I am precisely bringing up how a non-Hispanic is clutching his pearls at the lack of use of Latinx, and no one here has said they're offended.

That's the whole point of SJWs, isn't it? Their attitude seems to be "Oh you poor, ignorant minorities... you don't know when you're being insulted or discriminated against so I'll get offended on your behalf". This crap all started with the Taco Bell chihuahua that, if the number of t-shirts, bumper stickers, and window stickers sold and worn by actual Mexicans is any indication, didn't offend Mexicans at all but caused shrieks of "REEE!!!! RACISM!!! KILL IT!!" to pour forth from the mouths of white urban SJWs across the land who would never have eaten at a Taco Bell on a bet anyway until Taco bell cancelled the ad campaign. We should have told these bored busybodies to piss off and mind their own business back then, but how could we have known they'd run with this insanity?

einsteinboricua wrote:
extender wrote:
Be lucky English is he/she

You clearly haven't heard of ze and it's only a matter of time before the SJWs at work demand that a celebration be recognized for gender neutral folks (because a day for women could be offensive...what about people who don't identify as a woman?).

Will the decorations pack for that holiday include illustrations of a long fence with a lawn chair astride the top and pics of "Pat" from SNL? :devil:
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Aaron747

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:58 pm

extender wrote:

Be lucky English is he/she. Spanish can have almost every word identified by gender.

Um, nope, not offended. Don’t care about SJW nonsense because it’s silly and womyns/ethnic studies doesn’t actually affect anything. Could not care less if people want ‘Latinx’ in use - they only call attention to themselves negatively.

Offended by a childish manbaby with early stage dementia dominating the news the world sees of my country? Absolutely.

seb146

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Sam Smith recently gave an interview about preferred pronouns and their sexual identity. Fine. When I speak about or to (like that's ever gonna happen) I will refer to Sam Smith as they or them. So what? Has zero impact on my life.

I have friends who are or have transitioned. I use the pronouns they want used. So what?

It seems the people who are most offended by this are those who are being asked to use the term "Latinx". Use it like two or three times around that person, then start using proper Spanish pronouns and neither of you will care.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DL717

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:52 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
So, today is the start of National Hispanic Heritage Month, a month meant to celebrate achievements made by the Latin American community in the US. The CFO of my company sent out a message and on the internal networking site, SJWs (Social Justice Warriors) began complaining about the message because:
1. It uses Hispanic (excludes people who come from French and Portuguese speaking countries). I had to comment that the celebration is "HISPANIC Heritage Month" to which the reply was that "we have ways to go as a country".
3. It used Latino/Latina, noting that the male version was used first, which is insensitive to women. Romance languages are gendered and male-oriented so in a group of 49 women and 1 man, the group will use the male version ("ellos").

I'm as liberal as the next guy, but COME ON! The current president stokes violence against Hispanics and all the SJWs can think is to pummel an executive because they didn't use the "correct" gender neutral name? It's almost like they're being offended on behalf of someone. The interesting thing about the folks commenting is that on first glance, none of them are Hispanics.

I had a LONG message but it would have likely gotten me an email from HR for being "insensitive" so all I had to say was that we have bigger things to worry about and instead of complaining about what they consider a "faux-pas" we should be thankful that we can celebrate another aspect of ourselves.

Seriously...no wonder liberals are ridiculed everywhere.

Tell us more about SJWs moments at your workplace or contribute your opinion about Latinx vs Latino.

Welcome to the life of a conservative. Enjoy the silliness of the SJW world the left has created.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

FatCat

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:18 pm

it amazes me how your CFO has time to write a message about something like that and you workers have time to get offended on which "word's gender" has to go first and the use of the gender neutral "x" suffix...
you really do have much time to waste during your working hours... :-D
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:39 pm

DL717 wrote:
Welcome to the life of a conservative. Enjoy the silliness of the SJW world the left has created.

This is an instance where conservatives and I probably see each other eye to eye. I don't mind calling someone Latinx, provided THEY ask it for themselves and not on behalf of others. Today's SJWs have created a world where if I see someone with lots of feminine features, I am wrong to conclude that they're a woman because they may be a gender-fluid man who identifies as a woman today, and therefore I must suffer extreme consequences because I was not inclusive or respectful.

Seriously, I wonder what they do when at a show they say "Ladies and Gentlemen"...

FatCat wrote:
it amazes me how your CFO has time to write a message about something like that

It's one of those auto-generated messages that get sent to everyone on his behalf. He's an executive sponsor of one of the company's affinity groups.

FatCat wrote:
and you workers have time to get offended on which "word's gender" has to go first and the use of the gender neutral "x" suffix...
you really do have much time to waste during your working hours...

I don't know what the person does, but all I can say is that they're still trying to push to change the celebration to Latinx Heritage Month and even though they understood the difference between Hispanic and Latino, they're still pushing for non-gendered language. Apparently the CFO reached out to him and "will try to use words that are more inclusive".

flyguy89

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:40 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
DL717 wrote:

This is an instance where conservatives and I probably see each other eye to eye.

I wouldn't even call it a Left-Conservative thing as even the vast majority on the Left think this brand of SJWs is ridiculous in my experience. I don't think people realize just how small in numbers SJWs actually are (I think I recall seeing polling around around the single digits for the percent of the population that actually buys into their claptrap)...really wish we as a society would just start telling them to go pound sand.

Airstud

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:49 am

The City and County of San Francisco spent large sums of money reprinting all animal-related city ordinances in order to replace "pet owners" with "pet guardians," because the term "owners," in their minds, is "speciesist."

So if this thread is about sharing stories of most outrageous SJW-ness, then I'm like... mic drop.
Pancakes are delicious.

lugie

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:15 pm

P1aneMad wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Are there any Spaniards who actually use the @ symbol to communicate with each other? Or is it only used in public forums and articles by people desperate to score woke points?

Yes, I've actually seen that a lot with Spanish friends. Obviously, only in online communication (FB posts or chats) and with the caveat that they're all in higher education but I always thought that it was a pretty clever way of including both possible forms of the word. Especially when texting it's a lot smoother than using the o/a at the end every time.

As for the Latinx I've seen that quite a few times at the University I studied abroad at. In that case, it was used by both the "typical white liberal SJW" as well as some actual Latin American student interest groups (like ethnic sororities etc.).

For me it's one of these things, just like nonbinary pronouns, where I don't get the fuss some people raise about it. If I see it written somewhere, I don't get all triggered about it. If someone asks me to address them by their preferred pronoun, I'll just do that.

That being said, I'm (still) seeing binary pronouns as the default and would most likely start addressing a person by whichever corresponds to their physical appearance.
Also, I probably wouldn't start to use the word Latinx by myself, especially since I assume that most actual Latin Americans (outside the US/Canada) don't connect anything with the term, but again, I don't get why I should be upset if I was asked to do so.
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW SJO PTY

trpmb6

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:46 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
DL717 wrote:

This is an instance where conservatives and I probably see each other eye to eye.

I wouldn't even call it a Left-Conservative thing as even the vast majority on the Left think this brand of SJWs is ridiculous in my experience. I don't think people realize just how small in numbers SJWs actually are (I think I recall seeing polling around around the single digits for the percent of the population that actually buys into their claptrap)...really wish we as a society would just start telling them to go pound sand.

Yes, it is a very small minority, but a very vocal minority who has found success in weaponizing (perhaps too harsh of a word) social media (particularly twitter) to target specific companies and individuals they have a beef with. (Oh no, I said beef! Perhaps I've offended a vegan with my language!)

Tugger

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:55 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Yes, it is a very small minority, but a very vocal minority who has found success in weaponizing (perhaps too harsh of a word) social media (particularly twitter) to target specific companies and individuals they have a beef with. (Oh no, I said beef! Perhaps I've offended a vegan with my language!)

And sadly we get this from both sides of the spectrum. There are right and left "warriors" seeking their own justice for their causes.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

trpmb6

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:30 pm

Tugger wrote:
And sadly we get this from both sides of the spectrum. There are right and left "warriors" seeking their own justice for their causes.

Tugg

Absolutely. Sadly the silent majority is just that, silent.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:52 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

Now, is it because they're tolerating it and going along with it, are they passive supporters, or are they afraid to speak out because the vocal minority has the power to turn their lives around?

trpmb6

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:57 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Now, is it because they're tolerating it and going along with it, are they passive supporters, or are they afraid to speak out because the vocal minority has the power to turn their lives around?

I think it's much less than that. Simply apolitical indifference. They are the ones who don't turn on the national news networks. They don't listen to opinion pieces, they're more interested in local news or may click on a sports/home&garden/good housewives type article and ignore the national stuff. I genuinely think they just don't care. I know several people who fit into this category. Generally uninterested. If you think about it.. except for a few policies here and there, things really don't change that much on the national level. The biggest change to our lives in the last decade was obamacare. And it really didn't affect all that many people. The vast majority of us saw very minimal impact from it (despite what both sides want you to believe).

Aaron747

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:08 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

I think it's much less than that. Simply apolitical indifference. They are the ones who don't turn on the national news networks. They don't listen to opinion pieces, they're more interested in local news or may click on a sports/home&garden/good housewives type article and ignore the national stuff. I genuinely think they just don't care. I know several people who fit into this category. Generally uninterested. If you think about it.. except for a few policies here and there, things really don't change that much on the national level. The biggest change to our lives in the last decade was obamacare. And it really didn't affect all that many people. The vast majority of us saw very minimal impact from it (despite what both sides want you to believe).

Quite true - even things that did have a huge national impact (or should have), like 9/11, got mired in nonsense and distraction, first from the conspiracy gallery and then with a war in the wrong country. That turned a lot of people I know off as well. Also, let's be honest, how many folks in the general public remember their P's and Q's from civics? Not many I'd reckon...

slider

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:43 pm

God I hate the 21st Century.

Beardown91737

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:52 am

The 'x' ending is pure SJW since Spanish is a language with gender built into all kinds of inanimate objects, for example shoes and fire. If I could guess the pronunciation, it would be rhyme with "thinks". The flow of spoken Spanish would suffer incredible disruption if half the words ended with "-inks".

This one will go away from lack of interest.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.