Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Re: SJWs on the use of "Latinx"

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:25 pm

Beardown91737 wrote:
This one will go away from lack of interest.

Depends on how much actual communities push against it.

There's a Facebook group that people follow for the memes but they push FOR Latinx (Latin-nex). It doesn't roll off the tongue in Spanish and based on experience it hasn't caught on. The Royal Spanish Academy (Real Academia de Español) sets rules for grammar in Spanish and while I have disagreed with a few of their rules (mostly related to accent placement and accepting variants of words), they still do not recognize latinx as a description, nor do they accept '@' or 'e' for words that end in 'o' and are masculine ([email protected], Latine).

Again, my pushback isn't against the gender-neutral pronoun. I'm happy to oblige to anyone that says they're non-binary (whatever that means). What I refuse to accept is a non-Latino person insisting that Spanish (and people overall) change its ways because they feel that it's not all inclusive.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

vikkyvik

Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:10 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
What I refuse to accept is a non-Latino person insisting that Spanish (and people overall) change its ways because they feel that it's not all inclusive.

Do you refuse to accept a non-gay person insisting that people overall change their ways to be more inclusive to gays?

There are SJWs who are there for their own sake. But there are also plenty of people advocating for others that they know who might be directly affected.

lugie wrote:
Also, I probably wouldn't start to use the word Latinx by myself, especially since I assume that most actual Latin Americans (outside the US/Canada) don't connect anything with the term, but again, I don't get why I should be upset if I was asked to do so.

:checkmark:
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:06 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
Do you refuse to accept a non-gay person insisting that people overall change their ways to be more inclusive to gays?

There are SJWs who are there for their own sake. But there are also plenty of people advocating for others that they know who might be directly affected.

Trying to create an inclusive environment by extending the same benefits to a community is different than trying to change the language to make it inclusive.

If I'm fired or denied company benefits because I'm gay or Latino, that's not an inclusive environment (it's actually discriminatory). If the company does not celebrate Pride or Hispanic Heritage Month, I won't lose sleep over it so long as it's not a hostile environment either. I'm there to work so even being able to celebrate either at all is good enough for me. I don't see the need to launch a crusade against management because in a communication they used a form of the word that's still accepted.

The other thing is that in the efforts to carve out inclusion for every subset of the population, someone will always be left behind. For example, LGBT is not enough. LGBT+ is not descriptive enough (what does the '+' mean?). LGBTQ starts making mention of "queer" but that doesn't include other sexual orientations and gender identities...and so you'll find variants like LGBTQIA, but that doesn't include gender neutral identities. Suddenly the term becomes so long with all the different things that it becomes unrecognizable and unusable. The nature of the beast here is intent. Are you saying terms like LGBT to purposely exclude people or are you using it because the term is already generally considered all inclusive? n the same manner, are you saying "Latino" because your intent is to celebrate only male Latin Americans or is it because it's the Spanish way of grouping Latin Americans (male/female/other)?

Tugger

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:03 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:

Trying to create an inclusive environment by extending the same benefits to a community is different than trying to change the language to make it inclusive.

If I'm fired or denied company benefits because I'm gay or Latino, that's not an inclusive environment (it's actually discriminatory). If the company does not celebrate Pride or Hispanic Heritage Month, I won't lose sleep over it so long as it's not a hostile environment either. I'm there to work so even being able to celebrate either at all is good enough for me. I don't see the need to launch a crusade against management because in a communication they used a form of the word that's still accepted.

The other thing is that in the efforts to carve out inclusion for every subset of the population, someone will always be left behind. For example, LGBT is not enough. LGBT+ is not descriptive enough (what does the '+' mean?). LGBTQ starts making mention of "queer" but that doesn't include other sexual orientations and gender identities...and so you'll find variants like LGBTQIA, but that doesn't include gender neutral identities. Suddenly the term becomes so long with all the different things that it becomes unrecognizable and unusable. The nature of the beast here is intent. Are you saying terms like LGBT to purposely exclude people or are you using it because the term is already generally considered all inclusive? n the same manner, are you saying "Latino" because your intent is to celebrate only male Latin Americans or is it because it's the Spanish way of grouping Latin Americans (male/female/other)?

I'll bring it down to identity and acknowledgment of such which we all tend to integrate with our personal value.

It's not the same but I'll try the example of where we are from. You are a Caribbean (person). That's it. Not Puerto Rican. Is that OK? That describes your orgin fairly well, is anything further really needed? Does it matter to you? Is it integral to your identity and who you feel you are?

Just trying to help with an non-exact example but hopefully it shows that point I am trying to make. No one else really cares or needs to locate your exact home island, the Caribbean will do fine for most all situations. But I have not yet met a Puerto Rican for whom it is not important (and don't call you Mexican! :-) )

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

TSS

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:01 pm

Tugger wrote:
I'll bring it down to identity and acknowledgment of such which we all tend to integrate with our personal value.

It's not the same but I'll try the example of where we are from. You are a Caribbean (person). That's it. Not Puerto Rican. Is that OK? That describes your orgin fairly well, is anything further really needed? Does it matter to you? Is it integral to your identity and who you feel you are?

Just trying to help with an non-exact example but hopefully it shows that point I am trying to make. No one else really cares or needs to locate your exact home island, the Caribbean will do fine for most all situations. But I have not yet met a Puerto Rican for whom it is not important (and don't call you Mexican! :-) )

Tugg

Fair point, but I think the point Einsteinboricua was trying to make is how annoying and presumptuous it is, using your example, to have an SJW from, say, Minnesota try to dictate to someone from Puerto Rico that he can't call himself "Puerto Rican" because that discriminates against other people from the Caribbean, he can't call himself "Caribbean" because that discriminates against people from Southeast Florida and Northern South America, and must instead call himself "West-Central Atlantican" or face public scorn and possible censure... despite the fact that the person demanding this is from Minnesota and thus has no legitimate involvement whatsoever in what Einsteinboricua chooses to call himself.

I think the whole SJW movement sprouted from someone confusing the statement "Everyone is entitled to an opinion", which is absolutely true, with "All opinions are valid and should be taken seriously", which is NOT TRUE in any way, shape, form, or fashion.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Tugger

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:11 pm

TSS wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Fair point, but I think the point Einsteinboricua was trying to make is how annoying and presumptuous it is, using your example, to have an SJW from, say, Minnesota try to dictate to someone from Puerto Rico that he can't call himself "Puerto Rican" because that discriminates against other people from the Caribbean, he can't call himself "Caribbean" because that discriminates against people from Southeast Florida and Northern South America, and must instead call himself "West-Central Atlantican" or face public scorn and possible censure... despite the fact that the person demanding this is from Minnesota and thus has no legitimate involvement whatsoever in what Einsteinboricua chooses to call himself.

I think the whole SJW movement sprouted from someone confusing the statement "Everyone is entitled to an opinion", which is absolutely true, with "All opinions are valid and should be taken seriously", which is NOT TRUE in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

Yeah, I understand. Some things (quite a few more than "some" in fact but not "everything sucks") have gone beyond reasonableness and a lot of it is people just wanting to hear themselves make some "point" and have others agree. The SJW is it's own self righteous echo chamber and a lot of them refuse to get out of it, go outside and just breathe.... (the comedian thing is a problem to me, comedians are supposed to throw darts at things we are uncomfortable with. And quite a few blast away with cannons at "you can't do/say that!" And this is where it is supposed to happen, in private/public spaces, and it is supposed to be laughed at, be funny and yet not really, to make people uncomfortable. It is free speech, it is not "safe speech". And yes of course there are some that cross that line, but that line has to be... should be very generous on where it is laid.... in my opinion.)

But there are a lot of individual's that have a fair point when something directly and personally impacts them individually in the real world I want to be careful to not lose sight of them, to not throw the baby out with the bathwater. So yeah, I can't stand a lot of the self righteous clap trap that comes from either side of the fence, but we just need to be intelligent and think and evaluate, not just follow and not accept all encapsulating terms like "SJW" that are supposed to isolate and allow you to disregard things and to not think about them.

All right, I'm heading into rant territory here, and I am not meaning to. Hopefully you get what I am saying and not taking it as any kind of attack.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

stl07

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:35 am

Just saw a flyer for UMiami. Apparently 30% (may have also been 15% or 50%, I don't remember nor care) of their students are "Latinx."

At first, it annoyed me, but then I was like why do I care, it's their choice. Nobody's forcing me to buy into using the word
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

TSS

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:00 pm

Tugger wrote:
But there are a lot of individual's that have a fair point when something directly and personally impacts them individually in the real world. I want to be careful to not lose sight of them, to not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I agree with you there, but to me the people with a legitimate complaint of their own are not "SJWs". To me, true Grade "A" SJWs are people who try to right social wrongs that don't exist and that wouldn't apply to them if they did, who get offended on behalf of others by things that don't offend those others at all, the perfect example being the people who protested the Taco Bell chihuahua despite the fact that actual Mexicans and/or Americans of Mexican descent didn't seem to be offended by it at all and found it funny or cute enough to buy and prominently display T-shirts, bumper stickers, and window stickers featuring that mascot. Grade "B" SJWs are the ones who join a legitimate movement that does not apply to them as "allies" and dive too deep or go too far and begin thinking they are a part of that movement even though they clearly aren't and often in their fervor to belong make things worse for the movement as a whole.

Tugger wrote:
So yeah, I can't stand a lot of the self righteous clap trap that comes from either side of the fence, but we just need to be intelligent and think and evaluate, not just follow and not accept all encapsulating terms like "SJW" that are supposed to isolate and allow you to disregard things and to not think about them.

Once again we seem to be in agreement. I've detailed above what I think constitutes an "SJW" in the truest senses and I look forward to your feedback.

Tugger wrote:
Hopefully you get what I am saying and not taking it as any kind of attack.

I do get you, and I don't see it as an attack at all. It's a discussion, and frankly it's rather nice to have a heartfelt discussion with someone without the terms "Nazi", "Neo-Nazi", "Fascist", "Rightie", "Trump-Supporter (or some variation thereof)", or "Republican (not in itself an insult, but in context meant as one)" being applied to me in every other sentence.

DaProf

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:21 pm

The Q actually stands for questioning

einsteinboricua wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:27 pm

DaProf wrote:

Well shoot...that means it's two Qs that need to be added. So now it's LGBTQQ. Queers won't stand to NOT have their own letter.

TSS

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:37 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
DaProf wrote:

Well shoot...that means it's two Qs that need to be added. So now it's LGBTQQ. Queers won't stand to NOT have their own letter.

I think it might be time we had a breakdown for the uninitiated, albeit slightly out of sequence:

L = Lesbian. Girls who like girls.

G = Gay. Guys who like guys.

B = Bisexual. People of either gender who like people of both genders.

With me so far? Now it starts to get a bit murky...

T = Transgender. People who were born in the body of the wrong sex. (Initially I objected to the inclusion of "T" into the "LGB" fold because the transgender people I knew personally were emphatically NOT GAY! and would get highly offended if anyone suggested they were, but over the years I've since met people who were both transgender AND gay and have learned that the two states are unrelated and are neither mutually exclusive nor mutually inclusive, so... hey, whatever, join the party)

I = Intersex. A medical condition, or technically a number of them, wherein one's genitals are neither clearly male nor clearly female at birth. Unfortunately, a large percentage of intersex people were forced into the transgender camp by well-meaning but misguided doctors who took it upon themselves to surgically "assign" a gender to intersex babies at birth, the details of how you really don't want to know, only to find that the gender they were assigned was not the one they identified with as they grew up.

A = Asexual. People who don't want to have sex with anyone. That doesn't mean they don't want to have close, romantic relationships with other people, it just means that they have no desire whatsoever to "do the deed" in any fashion to consummate said relationships.

Q #1 = Queer. As I understand it, people who aren't fully "straight" but who don't fit neatly into any of the aforementioned groups, either.

Q #2 = Questioning. I'd assume those who think they might not be fully straight but aren't sure yet.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:53 pm

TSS wrote:
A = Asexual.

Uh oh...where are the Allies?

"And what about gender fluid? Non Binary? Transsexual (different from transgender)? Androgynous? Sapiosexuals? Are you so bigoted that they don't deserve mention?"*

*Wouldn't be surprised if this were an actual complaint. We have to be considerate and all inclusive.

slider

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:27 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
TSS wrote:
A = Asexual.

"And what about gender fluid? Non Binary? Transsexual (different from transgender)? Androgynous? Sapiosexuals? Are you so bigoted that they don't deserve mention?"*

*Wouldn't be surprised if this were an actual complaint. We have to be considerate and all inclusive.

And we cannot marginalize the midget hermaphrodites! This aggression will not stand, man.

TSS

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:29 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
TSS wrote:
A = Asexual.

By definition, they are not part of the (apparently ever-expanding) group. Also, on a personal level, "Allies" tend to dislike me because in their estimation I'm not nearly gay enough and they can't effectively parade me around to show their friends how progressive they are. Trust me, gay or not, no-one will be impressed if you bring a big ol' Redneck dude to a wine-tasting party... plus getting said Redneck dude to go to a wine-tasting party in the first place would almost certainly involve hog-tying, heavy sedation, or both.

einsteinboricua wrote:

*Wouldn't be surprised if this were an actual complaint.

Nor would I. One question, though: Are Sapiosexuals sexually attracted to plants and/or trees, or does that mean something else entirely?

einsteinboricua wrote:
We have to be considerate and all inclusive.

Says the would-be West-Central Atlantican. ;) :lol:

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:40 pm

TSS wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

*Wouldn't be surprised if this were an actual complaint.

Nor would I. One question, though: Are Sapiosexuals sexually attracted to plants and/or trees, or does that mean something else entirely?

HA! No. A sapiosexual is a person that is attracted based on intelligence rather than appearance. Just another flavor to an ever increasing melting pot. A gay sapiosexual, for example, is a gay man who cares more about another guy's thinking process and less about how he looks like.

Braybuddy

Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:20 am

I spent an afternoon at Dublin Pride a couple of months ago. It was the biggest to date, there was a fun atmosphere and the weather was great, which helped a lot. It passed-off peacefully, but then it usually does. Towards the end the MC was on stage between acts and wanted to make an announcement. He said that someone had been mis-pronouned by security at the gate, and that the culprit had been identified, and -- to whoops and cheers from the audience -- announced that they had been identified and removed from their position. I didn't cheer (I probably even rolled my eyes), thinking it a complete over-reaction to something that was probably just a simple mistake.

I thought about it afterwards and, assuming that it was a mistake, (sometimes it can be hard -- particularly at something like Pride -- to determine gender at first glance), I wondered if the reaction didn't do more harm than good. That guy (I'll assume it was a guy as most of the security were male) at best probably lost a day's pay, or at worst his job. So he goes home, tells all his family and friends about it, none of whom are particularly happy. Does that now affect their attitude towards the gay/trans community? Is someone really going to be that offended by being mis-pronouned? The words he and she are not derogatory terms, so I don’t get all this fuss about gender neutral pronouns. I suspect it’s faux offence.

TSS

Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:37 am

Braybuddy wrote:
I spent an afternoon at Dublin Pride a couple of months ago. It was the biggest to date, there was a fun atmosphere and the weather was great, which helped a lot. It passed-off peacefully, but then it usually does. Towards the end the MC was on stage between acts and wanted to make an announcement. He said that someone had been mis-pronouned by security at the gate, and that the culprit had been identified, and -- to whoops and cheers from the audience -- announced that they had been identified and removed from their position. I didn't cheer (I probably even rolled my eyes), thinking it a complete over-reaction to something that was probably just a simple mistake.

An interesting experiment would have been to get the person who was mis-pronouned to step onstage and then see what percentage of the audience could correctly guess that person's preferred pronouns on the first try with no hints beyond appearance.

Braybuddy wrote:
I thought about it afterwards and, assuming that it was a mistake, (sometimes it can be hard -- particularly at something like Pride -- to determine gender at first glance), I wondered if the reaction didn't do more harm than good. That guy (I'll assume it was a guy as most of the security were male) at best probably lost a day's pay, or at worst his job. So he goes home, tells all his family and friends about it, none of whom are particularly happy. Does that now affect their attitude towards the gay/trans community? Is someone really going to be that offended by being mis-pronouned? The words he and she are not derogatory terms, so I don’t get all this fuss about gender neutral pronouns. I suspect it’s faux offence.

Or trolling for outrage. Potayto/potahto.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:24 am

TSS wrote:
An interesting experiment would have been to get the person who was mis-pronouned to step onstage and then see what percentage of the audience could correctly guess that person's preferred pronouns on the first try with no hints beyond appearance.

The PC Police will immediately say "they" or "ze". The others will likely not guess out of fear of being thrown off as well.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:36 am

I thought the thread died at work, but in came another non-Latino/Hispanic person to say that "she has Spanish friends and none of them consider themselves Hispanic". You know...because her bubble of friends is completely representative, despite the fact that I too have a bubble of friends from Spain and they consider themselves Hispanic as well. Likely confusing Hispanic (ethnicity) with Hispanic (language group).

I just love how people think they know better. Interestingly enough (and I know folks aren't too big into him), Bill Maher's New Rules monologue dealt with this subject: when Whites try to be offended on behalf of a victim. He posted the example how the Twitterverse turned against Yang for saying that SNL shouldn't have fired the actor who made a racist remark in the past about Asians. It's worth a view because it's exactly what I'm trying to convey here.

Airstud

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:39 am

Braybuddy wrote:
the culprit had been identified, and -- to whoops and cheers from the audience -- announced that they had been identified and removed from their position

That's what we call "cancel culture."
Pancakes are delicious.

TSS

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:25 pm

Latino SLAMS Woke White Leftists For Using "Latinx" Calls It OFFENSIVE- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_oWblirV3M

Kiwirob

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:30 pm

Jesus what next. I’ve never heard of Latinx before, it appears to be a minor issue, some twat on tv the other day said there were 100 genders and we need to stop misgendering people. Identify politics needs to be put into a cupboard and locked away.

BerenErchamion

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:57 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
So, today is the start of National Hispanic Heritage Month, a month meant to celebrate achievements made by the Latin American community in the US. The CFO of my company sent out a message and on the internal networking site, SJWs (Social Justice Warriors) began complaining about the message because:
1. It uses Hispanic (excludes people who come from French and Portuguese speaking countries). I had to comment that the celebration is "HISPANIC Heritage Month" to which the reply was that "we have ways to go as a country".
2. It did not use Latinx, so the gender-neutral folks will not feel included (this is in an LGBT group). I personally HATE this term and refuse to reference anyone as Latinx; how come Latino wasn't an issue years ago? And why is it that actual Hispanic countries don't have a need to use it? It's like a solution in search of a problem.
3. It used Latino/Latina, noting that the male version was used first, which is insensitive to women. Romance languages are gendered and male-oriented so in a group of 49 women and 1 man, the group will use the male version ("ellos").

I'm as liberal as the next guy, but COME ON! The current president stokes violence against Hispanics and all the SJWs can think is to pummel an executive because they didn't use the "correct" gender neutral name? It's almost like they're being offended on behalf of someone. The interesting thing about the folks commenting is that on first glance, none of them are Hispanics.

I had a LONG message but it would have likely gotten me an email from HR for being "insensitive" so all I had to say was that we have bigger things to worry about and instead of complaining about what they consider a "faux-pas" we should be thankful that we can celebrate another aspect of ourselves.

Seriously...no wonder liberals are ridiculed everywhere.

Tell us more about SJWs moments at your workplace or contribute your opinion about Latinx vs Latino.

Basic human decency really seems to upset you, doesn't it?

TSS

Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:58 pm

BerenErchamion wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
So, today is the start of National Hispanic Heritage Month, a month meant to celebrate achievements made by the Latin American community in the US. The CFO of my company sent out a message and on the internal networking site, SJWs (Social Justice Warriors) began complaining about the message because:
1. It uses Hispanic (excludes people who come from French and Portuguese speaking countries). I had to comment that the celebration is "HISPANIC Heritage Month" to which the reply was that "we have ways to go as a country".
2. It did not use Latinx, so the gender-neutral folks will not feel included (this is in an LGBT group). I personally HATE this term and refuse to reference anyone as Latinx; how come Latino wasn't an issue years ago? And why is it that actual Hispanic countries don't have a need to use it? It's like a solution in search of a problem.
3. It used Latino/Latina, noting that the male version was used first, which is insensitive to women. Romance languages are gendered and male-oriented so in a group of 49 women and 1 man, the group will use the male version ("ellos").

I'm as liberal as the next guy, but COME ON! The current president stokes violence against Hispanics and all the SJWs can think is to pummel an executive because they didn't use the "correct" gender neutral name? It's almost like they're being offended on behalf of someone. The interesting thing about the folks commenting is that on first glance, none of them are Hispanics.

I had a LONG message but it would have likely gotten me an email from HR for being "insensitive" so all I had to say was that we have bigger things to worry about and instead of complaining about what they consider a "faux-pas" we should be thankful that we can celebrate another aspect of ourselves.

Seriously...no wonder liberals are ridiculed everywhere.

Tell us more about SJWs moments at your workplace or contribute your opinion about Latinx vs Latino.

"Basic human decency" also includes resisting the temptation to arbitrarily dictate your unfounded and irrelevant rules to a group that does not include, involve, concern, or affect you at all, a fact that Grade "A" SJWs* seem to take great pride in ignoring. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the lack of "basic human decency" displayed by the SJWs at his work who feel the need to tell everyone else how to behave in situations they are in no way a part of is what upset Einsteinboricua.

* Grade "A" SJWs are people who try to right social wrongs that don't exist and that wouldn't apply to them if they did, and who get offended on behalf of others by things that don't offend those others at all.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:31 pm

BerenErchamion wrote:

Considering I call myself both Hispanic and Latino (because, as my username implies, I am from Puerto Rico), I believe there’s a lack of basic human decency when a whiter than snow American tells me that I am wrong to call myself (and others like me) Hispanic (because according to him it’s outdated) and that I should use a gender neutral term when I clearly identify as male (hence, Latino) and no one has clamored for the community to adopt a gender neutral term.

When there’s controversy even within the community about Latinx and Latino is still THE acceptable term, who are you (or any other nonHispanic/Latinos) to tell us how we should call ourselves?

flyguy89

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:15 am

So this popped up in my newsfeed today...

Progressive Latino pollster: 98% of Latinos do not identify with “Latinx” label- https://medium.com/@ThinkNowTweets/prog ... 229adebcea

From the article: "Despite its usage by academics and cultural influencers, 98% of Latinos prefer other terms to describe their ethnicity. Only 2% of our respondents said the label accurately describes them, making it the least popular ethnic label among Latinos."

TSS

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:44 pm

A similar situation of people who are not part of a group trying to dictate to that group what they should call themselves-

'Indian' or 'Native American'?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh88fVP2FWQ

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:06 pm

TSS wrote:
A similar situation of people who are not part of a group trying to dictate to that group what they should call themselves-

'Indian' or 'Native American'?- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh88fVP2FWQ

HAHAHA

I commented on this video. Overinclusivity really IS a thing.

Aesma

Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:12 pm

In France there is an attempt to change written language to include the feminine version of words, because by default if a word is used to describe men and women together, then the masculine form is used.

This is called "inclusive writing" and is totally ridiculous, I found a funny video in English about it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liCYqisKYlM

He's wrong at the end though, wives don't have to take their husbands' last names anymore, they can do whatever. The husband can also do whatever, including taking the wife's name. The only rule is that brothers and sisters (with the same parents) have to wear the same last name.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

continental004

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:29 pm

"Latinx" is not a word.

PERIODT.