einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Netanyahu projected to lose election

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:37 pm

After April's election resulted in deadlock, with one party being kingmaker and refusing to join Netanyahu's coalition, elections were called for September.

Unofficial results are being reported as Netanyahu's Likud party came in second place, with opposition Blue and White coming in with a slightly larger seat count. If official results are tallied up, Netanyahu will likely not have enough seats for a coalition unless Yisrael Beiteinu accedes to join (though its leader said it will not join a coalition where Netanyahu is prime minister). Assuming the Joint List (Arab coalition) abstains, a national unity government will have to be formed, though if the Joint List acts as Confidence and Supply, then a Blue and White coalition government can form (and usher in a center-left government).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Dutchy

Re: Netanyahu projected to lose election

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Interesting and it is good for the peace in the Middle East that Netanyahu didn't win. He wanted to annex quite a large part of the East Bank. Annexation is never a good thing and would probably have sparked a new round of harsh protest.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Interesting and it is good for the peace in the Middle East that Netanyahu didn't win. He wanted to annex quite a large part of the East Bank. Annexation is never a good thing and would probably have sparked a new round of harsh protest.

Peace may fall on that part of the Middle East, but the hotspot has just moved into the Strait of Hormuz.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

LittleFokker

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:02 am

So is it just the Parliament elections that are occuring? Even if Bibi's party loses power, he will still be PM, right?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Olddog

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:25 am

Not to my knowledge.
When UK was in it wanted a lot of opt-outs, now it is out it wants opt-ins

alfa164

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:24 am

Israeli politics are about to get very interesting! Netanyahu was desperate to win - and would promise anything - so he might get a Parliamentary majority, then quickly pass laws protecting himself from the corruption charges pending against him. The voters apparently saw through this, and the opposition appears to be squeaking out a victory, although clearly not a majority.

Now we can watch and see what wheeling-and-dealing he starts doing with the minority parties to save his butt.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:35 am

LittleFokker wrote:
So is it just the Parliament elections that are occuring? Even if Bibi's party loses power, he will still be PM, right?

1. Yes, it's elections to the Knesset.
2. Not necessarily. The president of Israel convenes the parties that made it to the Knesset and selects a person based on the recommendation from the parties. The mandate COULD go to Bibi, but the president , much like any other citizen, would know that if Bibi comes in second and his current coalition partners do not have 60 seats in the Knesset, Bibi will fail in forming a government. The mandate could also go to Benny Gantz (the leader of the main opposition party), but he may not have enough seats either (especially if the Joint List abstains as it usually does). The end result will likely be a centrist government where the right-wing religious parties are excluded. Gantz has said his Blue and White coalition will not form a government in which Bibi continues as prime minister.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:37 am

alfa164 wrote:
Israeli politics are about to get very interesting! Netanyahu was desperate to win - and would promise anything - so he might get a Parliamentary majority, then quickly pass laws protecting himself from the corruption charges pending against him. The voters apparently saw through this, and the opposition appears to be squeaking out a victory, although clearly not a majority.

Now we can watch and see what wheeling-and-dealing he starts doing with the minority parties to save his butt.

I think the main concern is whether he cedes power (assuming he can't muster a 60 seat majority). There are headlines already on how he said the election was being stolen...now where have I heard that before?

ltbewr

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:15 am

Many Israelis are tired of being in a constant state of war, paying for it with high taxes, too many compromises with the ultra-Orthodox Jewish parties to get a majority voting block as well as corruption of Bibi and other leading politicians. I hope these elections send Bibi packing to jail, a more moderate attitude and policy, no more expansion of settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories and Golan Heights and maybe some peace.

Aaron747

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:13 am

The only problem with a loss is it gives Lieberman and his psychotic party more leverage at the coalition bargaining table.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

LittleSprocket

Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:08 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

I think the main concern is whether he cedes power (assuming he can't muster a 60 seat majority). There are headlines already on how he said the election was being stolen...now where have I heard that before?

Where have you heard that before? Hmm it couldn’t possibly be the Democrats and their Russian narrative that you speak of...

seb146

Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:39 am

LittleSprocket wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Where have you heard that before? Hmm it couldn’t possibly be the Democrats and their Russian narrative that you speak of...

The current occupant of the White House is "joking" about adding 2 1/2 years to his term because of the "stolen" years by Democrats over Russia investigations. No mention, of course, of the stolen court seats by Republicans in the Senate.

Netanyahu is simply taking a page from the snake oil salesman.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

SQ22

Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:49 am

Please stay on topic, this thread is not about US politics. Thanks.

Pellegrine

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:55 am

Ol Bibi. Time to throw in the towel.
oh boy, here we go!!!

trpmb6

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:25 pm

On the radio this morning a BBC reporter said that it appears that Bibi has been weakened but is not necessarily out of options.

casinterest

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:40 pm

How long do they have to form a coalition government? This is what failed last time. Will they fail again?
Where ever you go, there you are.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:42 pm

casinterest wrote:
How long do they have to form a coalition government? This is what failed last time. Will they fail again?

I believe it's 42 days for the first candidate, with a short extension if necessary. If the first candidate cannot get a cabinet together, the president can select the second place leader and if they cannot get a cabinet, the president (or the candidate) can request that the Knesset dissolve itself and call new elections.

The reason it failed in April was that Netanyahu, rather than allow the opposition the chance to form the government, asked to dissolve parliament after failing to get a cabinet in place, and had the votes to do so. This time, though, opposition parties (along with Yisrael Beiteinu) have said they will not vote in favor of dissolution so that puts Netanyahu (and Likud) in a bind (in April, the Arabs and Yisrael Beiteinu provided the additional votes to dissolve).

jdstJD

Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:01 pm

What is taking so long for the final election results to be determined?
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.

apodino

Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:13 pm

Strangely enough, I feel like this story has not gotten a lot of treatment in the American Mainstream press, with CNN and Fox News kind of relegating it to a lesser story, and the New York Time and Washington Post burying this in the back pages. This makes no sense to me, because I think this is a much more important issue that we realize. This is about who is the leader of the US' key ally in the Middle East, and with the craziness in Saudi Arabia it makes it even more important. I personally do not believe Bibi as Prime Minister has been a positive for either Israel or the US, and I feel that new leadership is needed in Israel. Bibi is more of a warmongerer than Dick Cheney, and that is the last thing we need. We need someone committed to Peace who wont lash out at his neighbors any time a terrorist attacks.

trpmb6

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:12 pm

jdstJD wrote:

Parliamentary back room dealing. There will be lots of bargaining and backstabbing in the coming days .. possibly weeks .. before we know who is going to actually be PM.

seb146

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:30 pm

apodino wrote:
Strangely enough, I feel like this story has not gotten a lot of treatment in the American Mainstream press, with CNN and Fox News kind of relegating it to a lesser story, and the New York Time and Washington Post burying this in the back pages. This makes no sense to me, because I think this is a much more important issue that we realize. This is about who is the leader of the US' key ally in the Middle East, and with the craziness in Saudi Arabia it makes it even more important. I personally do not believe Bibi as Prime Minister has been a positive for either Israel or the US, and I feel that new leadership is needed in Israel. Bibi is more of a warmongerer than Dick Cheney, and that is the last thing we need. We need someone committed to Peace who wont lash out at his neighbors any time a terrorist attacks.

You answered your own question. American media is not in the business of informing the public. American media is in the business of making money. So, "if it bleeds, it leads" and that is why so much attention has been focused on Saudi Arabia and the cries of "War With Iran!" from the right. That sells more than "we don't know who will be prime minister of Israel".

seb146

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:32 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
jdstJD wrote:

Parliamentary back room dealing. There will be lots of bargaining and backstabbing in the coming days .. possibly weeks .. before we know who is going to actually be PM.

Anything can happen, but I doubt it will be Bibi again. Two elections held this close and his party could not form a coalition or get a majority.