Kiwirob
Topic Author

Colt ending production of the AR-15

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:30 pm

Colt Firearms will be ending its production and sales of its AR-15 rifles due to lack of public demand amid excess market capacity.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/0 ... of-ar-15s/

I’m sure there’s probably more to it than just competition.

petertenthije

Re: Colt ending production of the AR-15

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:58 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

There’s been talk of banning it for so long, that anyone interested in getting one probably already bought one.
Attamottamotta!

Tugger

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:15 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Colt Firearms will be ending its production and sales of its AR-15 rifles due to lack of public demand amid excess market capacity.

Not competition, market saturation.

Some 5-10 million of them have been sold. And they don't get a lot of use (wear and tear) so they don't have a "regular replacement market" as do other classes of firearms. Though some may beg to differ, it has a very limited use case and therefore a limited market. There just isn't a huge need for burst-fire weapons in the commercial market. (And don't confuse semi-auto, with burst-fire. Semi-auto is a full-automatic capable weapon - you can make your handgun fully-automatic if you want to - with "assault-type" weapons limited to a three round burst with each trigger pull.)

But don't worry, there are plenty of knock-offs that will replace it in the market. Just will be cheaper made (most).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

mham001

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:12 pm

Tugger wrote:
There just isn't a huge need for burst-fire weapons in the commercial market. (And don't confuse semi-auto, with burst-fire. Semi-auto is a full-automatic capable weapon - you can make your handgun fully-automatic if you want to - with "assault-type" weapons limited to a three round burst with each trigger pull.)

You have just inserted a bunch of confusion. It is NOT easy to convert an AR15 to full auto. Even far less so with most other semi-automatics (if you have that capability, you have the same capacity to machine the entire gun). Burst fire is indeed an option on full-automatics, otherwise known as machine guns according to the ATF. You are spreading misinformed FUD. https://www.quora.com/Is-the-AR-15-exac ... -fire-mode Read the first comment.
Last edited by mham001 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NIKV69

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:13 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Of course the firearm has been vilified by the far left zealot machine so now any retailer with avoid it since they don't want to deal with unhinged far left psychos.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

ltbewr

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:37 am

The flat or declining demand for this model gun, competition, pricing, and just who needs the hassles of producing a gun that is so vilified and involved with mass shooting death events likely led to their decision to discontinue it.

DL717

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:58 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Of course the firearm has been vilified by the far left zealot machine so now any retailer with avoid it since they don't want to deal with unhinged far left psychos.

The AR-15 is way over rated anyway. The thing jams more than a juke box and it’s 50 years old. Hell, special forces don’t even use them. Their a cheap and easy gun to pump out for majority non-combat troops who are now even using simulators for firearm qualification in gym instead of a firing range. Probably saw their sales imploding because users know this and see this as an excuse to getting out of a failing product line. AK-47s are lame too, but they get dumped on third world markets for pennies. Both sound ugly and are well known so they make headlines, but no one talks about a Sig which is a superior weapon as is an H&K. And of course, the Remington.
Last edited by DL717 on Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

ThePointblank

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:03 am

Colt's been in financial trouble for a while, and their AR-15 isn't a well received product; even the US military doesn't buy rifles from Colt anymore; they got excluded from the last couple US military purchases due to pricing and issues with quality control.

stl07

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 am

DL717 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

The AR-15 is way over rated anyway. The thing jams more than a juke box and it’s 50 years old. Hell, special forces don’t even use them. Their a cheap and easy gun to pump out for majority non-combat troops who are now even using simulators for firearm qualification in gym instead of a firing range. Probably saw their sales imploding because users know this and see this as an excuse to getting out of a failing product line. AK-47s are lame too, but they get dumped on third world markets for pennies. Both sound ugly and are well known so they make headlines, but no one talks about a Sig which is a superior weapon as is an H&K. And of course, the Remington.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
All I hear on the news these days is "ban the AR-15," but all I can think is who even wants one anymore
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

DL717

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:27 am

stl07 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
All I hear on the news these days is "ban the AR-15," but all I can think is who even wants one anymore

They all freak over some trigger happy nutbag who wants his/her 15 minutes while ignoring the fact that a marginally trained trigger happy nut bag can inflict far more damage with a 10 round bolt action Remington. The later should make anyone concerned about gun violence sleepless at night.

mham001

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:26 am

NIKV69 wrote:

I cringe every time I hear a reporter say with a low, breathless tone "......a *gasp* semiautomatic..". Technically, most all guns operate as "semi-automatic" excepting bolt action rifles and pump shotguns - including revolvers.

Either they are very ignorant or purposely trying to muddy the water.

Tugger

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:59 pm

mham001 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
There just isn't a huge need for burst-fire weapons in the commercial market. (And don't confuse semi-auto, with burst-fire. Semi-auto is a full-automatic capable weapon - you can make your handgun fully-automatic if you want to - with "assault-type" weapons limited to a three round burst with each trigger pull.)

You have just inserted a bunch of confusion. It is NOT easy to convert an AR15 to full auto. Even far less so with most other semi-automatics (if you have that capability, you have the same capacity to machine the entire gun). Burst fire is indeed an option on full-automatics, otherwise known as machine guns according to the ATF. You are spreading misinformed FUD. https://www.quora.com/Is-the-AR-15-exac ... -fire-mode Read the first comment.

You are mistaken. It is not that hard. Not like it is "just flip a switch" easy but not that hard. And no, converting is not equal to being able to machine your own weapon (you can buy the parts for one).
http://www.2acheck.com/tag/how-to-conve ... full-auto/
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... auto-sear/

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

trpmb6

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:03 pm

This is a result of the AR-15 being such a widely produced and easily produced item that profit margins are razor thin. Small mom and pop machine shops can build them with ease and much cheaper than a big operation like Colt.

extender

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:00 pm

Tugger wrote:

But don't worry, there are plenty of knock-offs that will replace it in the market. Just will be cheaper made (most).

Tugg

There is so much untruth in there.

Burst fire? What is that? Other than a sensational term.

A semi-automatic weapon is not full automatic capable. You cannot make your handgun fully automatic. Does this absurd comment apply to revolvers as well?

Even a three round burst is an NFA item and you cannot posses it.

Not to mention, possession of modified automatic weapons is illegal.

Tugger

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:25 pm

extender wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

There is so much untruth in there.

Burst fire? What is that? Other than a sensational term.

A semi-automatic weapon is not full automatic capable. You cannot make your handgun fully automatic. Does this absurd comment apply to revolvers as well?

Even a three round burst is an NFA item and you cannot posses it.

Not to mention, possession of modified automatic weapons is illegal.

You are apparently not very informed. And you didn't actually read my follow on post did you? :wave:

For one "burst fire" is just common term to easily describe the type of firing a semi-auto weapon can do. The "3 round" firing of many assault type weapons is a "burst". Honestly you could design it to fire 4 rounds or 2 or whatever the designer wishes. But in combat 3 round bursts have been found to be effective in giving a volley of fire and allowing the combatant to retarget and adjust aim as needed and not waste bullets. Yes the AR-15 is not manufactured for anything but single-shot per trigger pull however the conversion kits have been available for sometime eve though they are illegal (and Colt put effort into making into not easy). Most AR's in consumers hands are not converted.

FULL AUTO FIREARMS

Browning's inventiveness extended to military firearms as well, especially machine guns.

Today, the term "semi-automatic" or semi-auto is used to refer to the auto-loading guns that fire only one round for each pull of the trigger. Although Colt originally called the Browning pistols "automatic pistols," in modern usage the term "automatic firearm" is used to describe a gun that fires multiple rounds for a single pull of the trigger.

These "full-auto" firearms, popularly called "machine guns," will usually continue rapidly firing until the trigger is released or the magazine is empty. Those that will fire a set number of rounds, usually 3, with a single pull of the trigger are called "burst fire," and those which can be set to fire either a single shot per trigger pull, or to fire full-auto are called "select fire."

http://www.nramuseum.org/gun-info-resea ... earms.aspx

But do please continue.
Tugg
Last edited by Tugger on Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seb146

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:27 pm

Do we know the actual number of AR-15s out there?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

MSPNWA

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:32 am

Tugger wrote:
For one "burst fire" is just common term to easily describe the type of firing a semi-auto weapon can do.

Maybe in the non-gun crowd it is, but in the gun society it isn't. You're still conflating the terms. Maybe intentionally?

Extender is right, your post made little sense from a gun culture viewpoint, and it still isn't clear that you know the terms.
Last edited by MSPNWA on Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

trpmb6

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:33 am

Tugger wrote:
[

For one "burst fire" is just common term to easily describe the type of firing a semi-auto weapon can do.

But do please continue.
Tugg

False. A semi-automatic can not burst fire. I suspected you meant that in your original post but let it slide as a, maybe he meant fully auto weapons and made a typo.

Semi-automatic weapons are not capable of burst fire. Period.

SanDiegoLover

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:02 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

WRONG! As usual. It’s been demonized by nutjobs gunning down masses upon masses of people. It’s not for self defense nor home protection nor hunting animals. It’s been at the center of most all of the major massacres. It’s done a remarkable job of proving to the public what the typical AR15 gun owner is really like. The proof is there for all to see.

DL717

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:13 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

WRONG! As usual. It’s been demonized by nutjobs gunning down masses upon masses of people. It’s not for self defense nor home protection nor hunting animals. It’s been at the center of most all of the major massacres. It’s done a remarkable job of proving to the public what the typical AR15 gun owner is really like. The proof is there for all to see.

The typical AR-15 owner doesn’t go around shooting people.

SanDiegoLover

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:24 am

DL717 wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Given there is no registry on guns and Republicans have made it illegal for the CDC to do any studies on gun violence you can’t say that, and you don’t know that. Given the proof that is available for the public to see for themselves in all of the mass shootings of the past 20 years, it speaks for itself.

DL717

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:33 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:
DL717 wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:

Given there is no registry on guns and Republicans have made it illegal for the CDC to do any studies on gun violence you can’t say that, and you don’t know that. Given the proof that is available for the public to see for themselves in all of the mass shootings of the past 20 years, it speaks for itself.

By posts in this thread there are 10-15 million of them out there. As noted, the typical owner clearly doesn’t go around shooting people.

trpmb6

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:32 pm

Should note that ATF is prevented by law from collecting this type of data so we really won't ever know unless they pass some sort of gun registry legislation. Which even then I doubt the counts would be accurate. This doesn't mean the ATF can't track down the owner of a serialized firearm. They can. There just isnt a searchable database they keep. They either go to the original seller of the firearm whom is required to keep this info, or if that business went out of business they are required to send all their data to the ATF who then stores it in paper form and that is placed in dry storage.

Some estimates put AR-15 numbers in the 10 to 15 million. Considering my anecdotal knowledge of gun owners, I would venture to guess that works out to about 5 to 7 million owners. (About a 2 to 1 ratio give or take)

Thing is, AR-15 are highly modifiable and modular. You really don't need to buy multiple serialized lowers. You can just own one or two and have multiple uppers that bolt in quickly to change the caliber or configuration. The upper isn't serialized.

That's just another reason for profit margins to be thin on producing them.

I suppose it might be confusing to someone who doesn't own one but one can swap the upper on an AR-15 from one setup, say a .223 standard set up with simple iron sights to a second upper that might be the same caliber but maybe has other accessories like a high powered scope for when you are out on the farm and need to take care of a coyote at 300 yards. It takes 60 seconds to do it. And that's if the pin is a bit snug.

The utilitarian nature of the platform is what makes it appealing to owners. It's a tool that can have multiple uses on the farm.

mham001

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:39 pm

Tugger wrote:
You are apparently not very informed. And you didn't actually read my follow on post did you? :wave:

I didn't bother to follow up on that but you overlooked that the instructions included 'Machinist Drawings' as well as welding instructions. Not exactly as "easy" to convert as you are trying to portray.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:59 pm

SanDiegoLover wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

No, you’re wrong as most blinded anti-gunners; zero understanding of the AR platform. It’s easily the most popular design, a fact I don’t like, but a fact as a visit to any gun range will prove. Used for everything from competitions, hunting, varmint control and self-defense. The number of people killed by all rifles including ARs is a tiny minority of gun deaths. More people drown than shot by ARs.

GF

trpmb6

Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:38 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

No, you’re wrong as most blinded anti-gunners; zero understanding of the AR platform. It’s easily the most popular design, a fact I don’t like, but a fact as a visit to any gun range will prove. Used for everything from competitions, hunting, varmint control and self-defense. The number of people killed by all rifles including ARs is a tiny minority of gun deaths. More people drown than shot by ARs.

GF

Pretty sure more people are killed by handguns in chicago alone in say 2 months than the average annual count of AR15 inflicted deaths.

DL717

Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:23 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:

GF

Pretty sure more people are killed by handguns in chicago alone in say 2 months than the average annual count of AR15 inflicted deaths.

AR related murders are said to be 17 per year from 2007 to 2017. Chicago is averaging 30 gun deaths a month right now, don’t hear anything about them being AR related. Always hear about handguns and shotguns. With 40,000 gun deaths over the same period, AR deaths barely show up.

DiamondFlyer

Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:48 pm

DL717 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

AR related murders are said to be 17 per year from 2007 to 2017. Chicago is averaging 30 gun deaths a month right now, don’t hear anything about them being AR related. Always hear about handguns and shotguns. With 40,000 gun deaths over the same period, AR deaths barely show up.

Correct, handguns are responsible for 96% of firearm deaths. Yet the party of "ban guns" has yet to propose any kind of ban/confiscation on them. Because the "ban gun" party doesn't care about safety, they just want to feel good that they did something.
From my cold, dead hands

MaverickM11

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:22 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
DL717 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Correct, handguns are responsible for 96% of firearm deaths. Yet the party of "ban guns" has yet to propose any kind of ban/confiscation on them. Because the "ban gun" party doesn't care about safety, they just want to feel good that they did something.

We agree. Is that a request/challenge to ban handguns?
E pur si muove -Galileo

DiamondFlyer

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:38 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Not at all, it's to point out the hypocrisy of the gun grabbers. The so called progressives only care about protecting white children in mass shootings, they don't care about inner city African-Americans.
From my cold, dead hands

MaverickM11

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:43 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

Not at all, it's to point out the hypocrisy of the gun grabbers. The so called progressives only care about protecting white children in mass shootings, they don't care about inner city African-Americans.

LOL you don't care about either. Progressives have been trying to stem the flow of guns into inner cities for decades, but that would require actually looking into the issue beyond just squawking "but Chicago" every time another responsible gun owner wipes out another school classroom.
E pur si muove -Galileo

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:50 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

LOL you don't care about either. Progressives have been trying to stem the flow of guns into inner cities for decades, but that would require actually looking into the issue beyond just squawking "but Chicago" every time another responsible gun owner wipes out another school classroom.

The US attorney and Cook County DA have rarely charged anyone for straw purchases or illegal transfers. Why? Because arresting a black grandmother isn’t very well received. The “progressives” in locations where they have unfettered powers don’t do anything to stop criminals because that requires real and potentially dangerous police work. Much easier to pass worthless laws making law abiding citizens felons or forcing them to give up their rights.

GF

GF

MaverickM11

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:17 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

The US attorney and Cook County DA have rarely charged anyone for straw purchases or illegal transfers. Why? Because arresting a black grandmother isn’t very well received. The “progressives” in locations where they have unfettered powers don’t do anything to stop criminals because that requires real and potentially dangerous police work. Much easier to pass worthless laws making law abiding citizens felons or forcing them to give up their rights.

GF

GF

*or* it's because there's no national gun registry, on purpose, so tracing the history of ownership is near impossible and proving illegal trafficking is a very high bar

https://www.propublica.org/article/gun- ... s-illinois
E pur si muove -Galileo

trpmb6

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:42 pm

Yet when someone like Rudy implements stop and frisk progressives and the ACLU go to bag against it despite it being wildly successful.

Ken777

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:35 am

NIKV69 wrote:

IMO the rabid gun lovers us the term "far left zealot machine" for anyone who is not a rabid gun lover. I'm a politically independent moderate and I can fail to see the need for assault weapons available to anyone. Same with bump stocks. You need an AR-15 to go deer hunting? And a bump stock and high capacity clip are needed in case your aim is off and the Deer starts running full speed?

Maybe Colt's attorneys have told the board to get out of the mass shootings business. We accidentally kill enough Americans every year without the need for assault weapons to increase the count. It's also hard, IMHO, to believe that the Founders of this country had any intention of including modern assault weapons in the Second Amendment. They were not that stupid.

DiamondFlyer

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:11 am

Ken777 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

IMO the rabid gun lovers us the term "far left zealot machine" for anyone who is not a rabid gun lover. I'm a politically independent moderate and I can fail to see the need for assault weapons available to anyone. Same with bump stocks. You need an AR-15 to go deer hunting? And a bump stock and high capacity clip are needed in case your aim is off and the Deer starts running full speed?

Maybe Colt's attorneys have told the board to get out of the mass shootings business. We accidentally kill enough Americans every year without the need for assault weapons to increase the count. It's also hard, IMHO, to believe that the Founders of this country had any intention of including modern assault weapons in the Second Amendment. They were not that stupid.

Assault weapons are already so heavily regulated that they're all but impossible to buy for the general public. Please show us a single mass shooting committed by a person with a automatic weapon.

Bump stocks are a joke, you can do the same thing with a finger and a belt loop. A high capacity clip? Please, what guns use high capacity clips?

Since you believe that the founders didn't want modern assault weapons to be covered by the 2A, then maybe digital speech wouldn't have been covered by the 1A.
From my cold, dead hands

trpmb6

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:06 am

Ken777 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I prefer not to use my AR-15 for deer hunting. The .223 is a small caliber round. Better suited for coyotes, prairie dogs, etc. .223 just doesnt have the stopping power that high powered hunting rifles do. That doesnt mean you can't configure your AR-15 to have a higher caliber. You can build it however you want, all the way up to the .50 cal Beowulf setup. Mine just isn't setup that way.

As for bump stocks and hunting. Lol please, that's just not even a serious position. For one, bump stocks have already been banned. Second, no hunter would use such a system. Bump stocks are pure novelty which is why there was no real outcry when they were banned. For hunting, we prefer accuracy. Spraying and praying with a bump stock would be dumb and ineffective. Worse, probably just end up ruining the meat.

If colts attorneys were concerned about the amount of people killed by their weapons each year they would stop producing hand guns first. As has already been stated in this thread handguns account for far more gun related deaths.

MaverickM11

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:59 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Yet when someone like Rudy implements stop and frisk progressives and the ACLU go to bag against it despite it being wildly successful.

Not substantiated in the real world
E pur si muove -Galileo

MaverickM11

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:50 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Not substantiated in the real world

We should just pause to highlight that the right is more than happy to infringe on the fourth and fourteenth amendments all day as long as it's on non whites. But don't you dare touch that second amendment! :roll:
E pur si muove -Galileo

seb146

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:31 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

Walking While Black and Driving While Black are now suspicious behavior and we should all just live with it? To treat a certain group of Americans as criminals for just being? That sound like a typical Republican solution.

I read a quote out in the interwebs somewhere about if 6 and 7 year old children can be patient practicing active shooter drills at school, gun owners can be patient and wait with enhanced background checks and red flag laws.

trpmb6

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:05 pm

Well if we are going to infringe the second, why not infringe on the rest of them!

Ken777

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:48 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Assault weapons are already so heavily regulated that they're all but impossible to buy for the general public. Please show us a single mass shooting committed by a person with a automatic weapon. .

Las Vegas mass shooting good enough for you. It was assault weapons and bump stocks. We are also finding that even nuts who cannot get a decent background check can still get what ever they want at gun shows.

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Bump stocks are a joke, you can do the same thing with a finger and a belt loop. A high capacity clip? Please, what guns use high capacity clips?.

There was nothing to laugh about bump stocks in the Las Vegas. And if no one uses high capacity clips there should be no problem banning them from the general public.

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Since you believe that the founders didn't want modern assault weapons to be covered by the 2A, then maybe digital speech wouldn't have been covered by the 1A.

I seem to think that the first three words of the Second Amendment are "A well regulated". These days the NRA is fighting hard to eliminate any regulation and it seems that gun lovers stand behind the NRA instead of the Constitution.

seb146

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:18 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Well if we are going to infringe the second, why not infringe on the rest of them!

By allowing American citizens to posses guns is not infringing on anything, is it? This is leading to the typical right wing cries of "they are going to take our guns!" which has never ever happened. We had an assault weapons ban and people were still able to purchase and use handguns and rifles. There were not teams of government personnel marching from house to house taking weapons away.

trpmb6

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:01 am

Please stop calling the AR-15 an assault weapon. It's a semi-automatic rifle. If we are going to discuss this we can at least use the correct terminology.

seb146

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:35 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Please stop calling the AR-15 an assault weapon. It's a semi-automatic rifle. If we are going to discuss this we can at least use the correct terminology.

Gun nuts and NRA do not want it called "assault weapon" but some states do list it as an assault weapon. It was originally developed for war. That is the practical use: ending human life. It is not for hunting game to get a family through the winter. It is a weapon of war. That is why this assault rifle was developed.

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/28/58886182 ... -the-ar-15

trpmb6

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:35 am

seb146 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Gun nuts and NRA do not want it called "assault weapon" but some states do list it as an assault weapon. It was originally developed for war. That is the practical use: ending human life. It is not for hunting game to get a family through the winter. It is a weapon of war. That is why this assault rifle was developed.

The AR15 has always been a civilian rifle. Never developed for war. Try again.

Ken777

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:54 am

trpmb6 wrote:

So it's never used in our popular mass shootings? No problem carrying one into a Wal-Mart or church?

WarRI1

Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:20 am

Ken777 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

So it's never used in our popular mass shootings? No problem carrying one into a Wal-Mart or church?

What a laugh, a civilian rifle. What is a civilian rifle? I have heard of hunting rifles, to hunt game, and target rifles to compete with, but what function does a civilian rifle have? I guess in case you need to kill a herd of deer, or run into a pack of Wolves in your back yard or the three bear family, you know the Father Bear and the Mother Bear and the baby bear need wacking this would certainly do the job.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

seb146

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:44 am

trpmb6 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

From the article I posted:

ArmaLite first developed the AR-15 in the late 1950s as a military rifle, but had limited success in selling it. In 1959 the company sold the design to Colt.

In 1963, the U.S. military selected Colt to manufacture the automatic rifle that soon became standard issue for U.S. troops in the Vietnam War. It was known as the M-16.

Nope. Not a weapon of war. Never developed for the military. Only always civilian. uh-huh

I get there are civilian rifles. That's fine. No one is talking about those. We are talking about a rifle developed for the United States military for war. Not for deer hunting or grouse hunting or scaring away coyotes. These are weapons of war. Used for killing humans.

LittleSprocket

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:45 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Do you realize that as per 2017 FBI crime statistics there were 15,129 murders nationwide and of those only 403 were attributed to ALL rifles? That’s roughly 2.6% of all homicides attributed to ALL rifles, it is drastically less when you look at so called assault rifles. Posts like yours will not lead to any meaningful legislation and gives firearm rights advocates plenary of ammo to stand their ground when it comes to exercising our second amendment rights.

If you want to affect meaningful change, stick to facts instead of emotional rhetoric. Calling all us gun loving nut jobs because we stand by our inalienable right to self defense won’t get you anywhere fast.