Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy
Topic Author

China footage reveals hundreds of blindfolded and shackled prisoners

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:23 pm

China footage reveals hundreds of blindfolded and shackled prisoners

Video shows what appear to be Uighur or other minority prisoners led away by police

Drone footage has emerged showing police leading hundreds of blindfolded and shackled men from a train in what is believed to be a transfer of inmates in Xinjiang.

The video, posted anonymously on YouTube last week, shows what appear to be Uighur or other minorities wearing blue and yellow uniforms, with cleanly shaven heads, their eyes covered, sitting in rows on the ground and later being led away by police. Prisoners in China are often transferred with handcuffs and masks covering their faces.

Nathan Ruser, a researcher with the Australian Strategic Policy Institute’s international cyber policy centre, used clues in the footage, including landmarks and the position of the sun, to verify the video, which he believes was shot at a train station west of Korla in south-east Xinjiang in August last year.

Much of the focus of international criticism of China’s far-reaching anti-terrorism campaign in Xinjiang has centred on the extrajudicial detentions of more than 1 million ethnic Uighurs and other Muslim minorities in internment and political re-education camps.

[url]Link[/url]

I think it is quite shocking to such footage, we know that hundered of thousands of Uighur are being sent to these camps. The Chinese truly live in a 1984-Orwellian utopia. Scary to think that that is happening in this day and age, that some autharian governments go so far to suppress their people.

I feel very lucky that my crip stood in a free democratic country, where I am free to do and think what I want.

SQ22

Re: China footage reveals hundreds of blindfolded and shackled prisoners

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:41 pm

Can you provide a working link to a source please?

SQ22

Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 pm

casinterest wrote:

Thanks.

BestWestern

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:49 pm

They have learnt from the best - the hundreds bound and schackled in Gitmo without trial.

Let’s get our own house in order before criticising the East.

Tugger

Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:04 pm

BestWestern wrote:
They have learnt from the best - the hundreds bound and schackled in Gitmo without trial.

No, sorry, just because one is doing wrong doesn't mean they can't point out or at the very least recognize such elsewhere.

If that was the case it would silence everyone everywhere since at some point in some way we all do something not quite right (even you! ;-) ).

Tugg

BestWestern

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:20 pm

Tugger wrote:
BestWestern wrote:

No, sorry, just because one is doing wrong doesn't mean they can't point out or at the very least recognize such elsewhere.

If that was the case it would silence everyone everywhere since at some point in some way we all do something not quite right (even you! ;-) ).

Tugg

Even me? ###%%^

Oh I agree, but we cannot claim moral superiority here. We should be better.

Tugger

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:50 pm

BestWestern wrote:
Even me? ###%%^

And on this you are I agree. :highfive:

Tugg

tommy1808

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:55 am

Tugger wrote:
BestWestern wrote:
Even me? ###%%^

Tugg

the PRC is long overdue for a sanction regime riveling that of North Korea, or at least those faced by Russia.

best regards
Thomas

BestWestern

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:28 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
BestWestern wrote:
Even me? ###%%^

Tugg

the PRC is long overdue for a sanction regime riveling that of North Korea, or at least those faced by Russia.

best regards
Thomas

The Chinese government is doing such a good job in many ways, but what’s going on in xingang is wrong - very wrong.

I’ve been to the province about a dozen times, and have met with airport security heads. My last trip was about six years ago, and back then there was a real security threat, but none the less, you cannot use Such draconian powers on the many because of the potential issues of the very few.

Urumqi is a fantastic city, with such an interesting history.

It’s so sad the West doesn’t have the moral majority, but what’s happening in the US with regards to Muslims gives China free reign to do the same and worse, without the checks and balances.

tommy1808

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:47 pm

BestWestern wrote:
It’s so sad the West doesn’t have the moral majority, but what’s happening in the US with regards to Muslims gives China free reign to do the same and worse, without the checks and balances.

The fact that there is still lots of money being made with China is the only reason there isn´t an effective sanction regime.

best regards
Thomas

trpmb6

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:52 pm

BestWestern wrote:

Not even close to being similar. This is an absurd statement.

casinterest

Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:04 pm

What is truly sad about this, is that China is trying to hide their identities by shaving them and blinding them so no one can run facial recognition. They also get the dehumanizing feature of stripping these people of identity as they try to brainwash them.

mham001

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:36 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
BestWestern wrote:
Even me? ###%%^

Tugg

best regards
Thomas

In a way, although it is not stated, that is what Trump is doing with the trade war, but the whining by the opposition, (including you) is incessant. Suddenly it is more important our cheap Chinese junk doesn't get more expensive, because....Trump. It is just a matter of time, Europe will succumb to Chinese domination.

apodino

Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:01 pm

IMO there is no difference between the way China treats its people and the way the Castro regime treated its people for years. In the first case, and only because corporate lobbyists demanded it for labor costs, we embraced China as a trading partner and hold no standards to the way they treat their people. On the second case, Castro was sanctioned for years by the US and we had no diplomatic ties for years. I have no idea why the double standard other than corporate wishes I guess.

There are ways you could affect China. One is to insist that Chinese workers are held to the same work rules that American workers are, or we don't trade with them. Another could be to establish diplomatic ties with Taiwan.

As far as the moral ground goes, I don't believe that the US has lost that even with Trump. But even so, a lot of European nations can claim this as well, and they sit back and do nothing as well.

Tugger

Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:19 pm

mham001 wrote:
In a way, although it is not stated, that is what Trump is doing with the trade war, but the whining by the opposition, (including you) is incessant. Suddenly it is more important our cheap Chinese junk doesn't get more expensive, because....Trump.

The trade disengagement with China is one of only a couple things I kinda agree with Trump on. Continuing to prove that broken clocks are right twice a day.

Tugg

BravoOne

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:28 pm

BestWestern wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

best regards
Thomas

The Chinese government is doing such a good job in many ways, but what’s going on in xingang is wrong - very wrong.

I’ve been to the province about a dozen times, and have met with airport security heads. My last trip was about six years ago, and back then there was a real security threat, but none the less, you cannot use Such draconian powers on the many because of the potential issues of the very few.

Please tell me what we are doing to Muslims in the US that is taking away their freedoms? Please no fail left BS, just facts.

Tugger

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:38 pm

BravoOne wrote:
BestWestern wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Please tell me what we are doing to Muslims in the US that is taking away their freedoms? Please no fail left BS, just facts.

While I agree that the USA is in no way doing what China is doing to the Uighars, the ONE thing I will note is that we have a president that is stating pubically and often (enough) that Muslims are an issue and a concern and need to be treated differently, definitely implying that one can't necessarily trust them. And this is the president, the leader of the nation, and there are a lot of people that will follow what he says (no matter how poor a president he is).

The president of the nation should not be doing that and singling out people like that (but it's Trump, I have come to expect piss poor performance from him so I at least am not surprised).

You may disagree and that is fine. But this is one thing that I do not feel it appropriate coming from the US regarding Muslims and affecting their treatment by the public within our nation.

Tugg

trpmb6

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:28 pm

Just love how this has been deflected and twisted into a way to bash the USA. A country where people by the hundreds of thousands risk their lives trying to gain entry to.

Nevermind the fact that the Chinese are actively placing religious groups into concentration camps.

Tugger

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:32 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Just love how this has been deflected and twisted into a way to bash the USA. A country where people by the hundreds of thousands risk their lives trying to gain entry to.

Nevermind the fact that the Chinese are actively placing religious groups into concentration camps.

:checkmark:
I agree.

Yes we can do better. Yes we have things like Guantanamo and rendition tingeing our values and reputation. Yes we are not perfect nor superior (morally or otherwise) to other nations. However we are not horrible and a dictatorship and we have rules and tools in place for the people to always peacefully effect changes to our nation and leadership.

Tugg

BestWestern

Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:44 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

All I’m saying is let’s get our own house in order so we can tell Beijing what to do.

SanDiegoLover

Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:59 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Just love how this has been deflected and twisted into a way to bash the USA. A country where people by the hundreds of thousands risk their lives trying to gain entry to. .

And put in concentration camps.

dmg626

Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:19 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Just love how this has been deflected and twisted into a way to bash the USA. A country where people by the hundreds of thousands risk their lives trying to gain entry to. .

Using that term is a disgrace, knowing what a real concentration camp was you should be ashamed of your post

tommy1808

Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:38 am

mham001 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

best regards
Thomas

In a way, although it is not stated, that is what Trump is doing with the trade war, but the whining by the opposition, (including you) is incessant.

I dont think you will have much problem finding me saying that Trump does the right thing with China, only for wrong reasons.

Suddenly it is more important our cheap Chinese junk doesn't get more expensive, because....Trump. It is just a matter of time, Europe will succumb to Chinese domination.

I don't buy stuff made in China, not privately, and as of this summer, I eliminated the last made in China component, a Huawei LTE modem, from my products at work as well. I don't mind stuff from China becoming more expensive, or flat out unavailable, at all.
I just explained why more isn't done, not just in Europe, but also why the Trump admin grants exceptions left and right.

apodino wrote:
One is to insist that Chinese workers are held to the same work rules that American workers are, or we don't trade with them.

And the other way round? Workers in China have a ton of rights US workers don't have.

Another could be to establish diplomatic ties with Taiwan.

:checkmark:
I find it disgusting how almost everyone chose a Junta over a democratic government...

As far as the moral ground goes, I don't believe that the US has lost that even with Trump. But even so, a lot of European nations can claim this as well, and they sit back and do nothing as well.

Yup. That is the problem.
Now if we all just stop buying stuff with "made in China" on it, we could have profound effects in little time.

Best regards
Thomas

tommy1808

Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:40 am

dmg626 wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Using that term is a disgrace, knowing what a real concentration camp was you should be ashamed of your post

People that make that claim usually dont know what a concentration camp was...

There are concentration camps and there where death camps. The name is nicely descriptive, and whenever the description fits, concentration camp is the right term.

Best regards
Thomas

dmg626

Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:45 am

tommy1808 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:

There are concentration camps and there where death camps. The name is nicely descriptive, and whenever the description fits, concentration camp is the right term.

Best regards
Thomas

You guys are delirious with your hatred , the refugees being housed are Much better off than where they came from

1989worstyear

Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:12 am

BestWestern wrote:

...and it's not just 'Murica that's good at this:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.abc.net. ... le/9857162

Then again, a 17 year old is a grown man, amiright?

tommy1808

Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:40 am

dmg626 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

You guys are delirious with your hatred , the refugees being housed are Much better off than where they came from

"hatred" has nothing to do with proper use of language. Concentration camps are places where a defined group of people is involuntarily concentrated.

The American Heritage Dictionary wrote:
A camp where persons are confined, usually without hearings and typically under harsh conditions, often as a result of their membership in a group which the government has identified as dangerous or undesirable.

as you can see, harsh conditions are optional, they are concentration camps, get over it. That you think they mean something else and get offended by the correct use of the word is your snowflakisch "i am offended" problem as offense is taken, not given.

best regards
Thomas

dmg626

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:22 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

"hatred" has nothing to do with proper use of language. Concentration camps are places where a defined group of people is involuntarily concentrated.

A camp where persons are confined, usually without hearings and typically under harsh conditions, often as a result of their membership in a group which the government has identified as dangerous or undesirable.

as you can see, harsh conditions are optional, they are concentration camps, get over it. That you think they mean something else and get offended by the correct use of the word is your snowflakisch "i am offended" problem as offense is taken, not given.

best regards
Thomas

Sorry but you and the other drama queens are deliberately using the word “concentration” to connote something that isn’t, how are the conditions “harsh”? They have access to food medical and shelter, if it’s not the Hilton then that’s too bad

Tugger

Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:03 pm

dmg626 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Sorry but you and the other drama queens are deliberately using the word “concentration” to connote something that isn’t, how are the conditions “harsh”? They have access to food medical and shelter, if it’s not the Hilton then that’s too bad

First and foremost the people in the USA that some are referring to (in a thread about China and its actions against its people, so completely off topic) willing came to the US. I believe they can also return home if they wish. Additionally the people were not taken from their homes and home country and forced into the "camps". They are not the WWII version of what most perceive to be concentration camps, nor are they same as (or similar too) the forced internment and reeducation situation currently ongoing in China against the Uighar people.

To claim otherwise is disingenuous. So please stop.

Tugg

tommy1808

Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:25 pm

dmg626 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Dude, I quoted from a dictionary. Take it up with them if you have issues with the dictionary definition.

Best regards
Thomas

dmg626

Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:36 pm

Dude, you are deliberately using the term knowing what it means in most peoples minds, face it Dude, you’re wrong, don’t let your blind hatred of our system cloud your thought process. These people are way better off for now

ChrisKen

Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:09 am

dmg626 wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Dude, his use of 'concentration camp' was correct.
Concentration camp, an internment centre for political prisoners and members of national or minority groups who are confined for reasons of state security, exploitation, or punishment, usually by executive decree or military order. Persons are placed in such camps often on the basis of identification with a particular ethnic or political group rather than as individuals and without benefit either of indictment or fair trial.

You are confusing the above term with Nazi concentration camps and more precisely with Nazi death camps. Japanese nationals were held in US concentration camps during WWII, they were well fed, well looked after during that time.

SQ22

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:37 am

One more using of "Dude" and thread will be locked. Thanks.

WIederling

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:01 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Now if we all just stop buying stuff with "made in China" on it, we could have profound effects in little time.

Also easy to do for stuff with "Made in the USA" on it :-)

Flaps

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:39 am

ChrisKen wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:

Dude, his use of 'concentration camp' was correct.
Concentration camp, an internment centre for political prisoners and members of national or minority groups who are confined for reasons of state security, exploitation, or punishment, usually by executive decree or military order. Persons are placed in such camps often on the basis of identification with a particular ethnic or political group rather than as individuals and without benefit either of indictment or fair trial.

You are confusing the above term with Nazi concentration camps and more precisely with Nazi death camps. Japanese nationals were held in US concentration camps during WWII, they were well fed, well looked after during that time.

Well then by your definition, in the US:

These people are not political prisoners.

They are not in the camps by virtue of their race or nationality. They are in the camps because of their own decisions to violate US law by illegally entering the country. They had legal options available but chose to break the law instead. This same result would occur many/most places. Their choice to violate the law in entering the country illegally and skipping the vetting process automatically puts them into a higher security risk category. They were told they weren't welcome. They were told not to come. They told what would happen if they came. Yet they did so anyway. Their presence in the camps is of their own volition and they are free to return to their own countries at any time they choose.

This most certainly does not meet even your own definition of a concentration camp.

Now can we please get back on topic which involves CHINA. There are literally thousands of threads on this forum dedicated to bashing the US. Need this thread devolve into yet another one?

tommy1808

Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:52 am

Flaps wrote:
This same result would occur many/most places.

actually no, criminalizing asylum seekers violated international law, and so hardly any country does. Separating their families is also explicitly prohibited.

Now can we please get back on topic which involves CHINA. There are literally thousands of threads on this forum dedicated to bashing the US. Need this thread devolve into yet another one?

yup. Lets get back to how we get legit governments to do whats right and sanction the hell out of the PRC until their concentration camps are gone, freedom of believe is established, they stop murdering people to harvest organs (https://endtransplantabuse.org/wp-conte ... -23-V2.pdf), prosecute all involved in the above crimes against humanity and remove its troops from Tibet and whatever other things i am not thinking about before finishing my first coffee of the day.

best regards
Thomas

Redd

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:53 am

tommy1808 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

You're wrong. A concentration camp is too strongly associated with the Nazis to have any other meaning. And while the Nazis had dedicated death camps, ALL of their concentration camps also served as liquidation centres for human beings.

The Nazis also had POW camps where people were not murdered. If you're going to use language, use it properly I say. The Americans have detention camps for refugees, as despicable as they are they're not concentration camps.

By merely making the connection with concentration camps and the American refugee camps show you lack historical knowledge, or have such a high disregard for the history you're willing to use it to push your own ideas and propaganda above the truth to try to prove a point by using (false) sensationalism. No different from the right side you so much detest Tommy.

Jetty

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:02 pm

Is it known what they were convicted of? Muslim terrorism is a real issue, also in China. People itt seem to jump the gun assuming these people were innocent.

Tugger

Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Jetty wrote:
Is it known what they were convicted of? Muslim terrorism is a real issue, also in China. People itt seem to jump the gun assuming these people were innocent.

Well there is something like one million of them that are being detained. So if that is the case they have a pretty severe terrorism problem and I have not heard anything to that level of a problem there. Even from the public that have been there.

https://qz.com/1599393/how-researchers- ... -xinjiang/
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/a ... ecognition

Tugg

Super80Fan

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:02 pm

China seems to be the most defended country in the world, yet they are more dangerous than any South American, African, Middle Eastern, or even North Korea combined.

NIKV69

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:46 pm

This is the country that says you can only have one child and you are surprised?

Tugger

Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:01 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
This is the country that says you can only have one child and you are surprised?

Actually that policy has ended (last year I think?).

Tugg

mdavies06

Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:23 am

In China, if you make enough posts in your wechat or weibo account (social media accounts) criticising or encourage others to criticise the local or national level government bodies, this is enough to get yourself into trouble.
In China, all internet activities (wireless or wired) are surveyed by the police and traceable back to the individual by name due to the enforcement of name registration for wireless and wired accounts (E.g by phone number and sim card). In Xinjiang which has a Muslim majority and where there are many people with anti-government ideas, there are heightened monitoring of people's posts and to get people convicted and sent to these concentration camps.
Just spread of words is enough - these people might not have done anyway in the way of planning actual physical terrrorist attacks.
Not only the prisoners are convicted, but their family members will from that point suffer by way of increase monitoring.
Thinking of working your way up steadily with your employer and develop your career? This dream will go up in smoke if a member of your family is in these camps. Forget about taking a short trip outside the country. If a member of your family is in these camps, the whole family will be banned from leaving China.

N14AZ

Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:05 am

Tugger wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Actually that policy has ended (last year I think?).

Tugg

It ended in 2015 (... time flies ...).

Furthermore,

The term one-child policy is thus a misnomer, because for nearly 30 of the 37 years that it existed (1979–2015 included) about half of all parents in China were allowed to have a second child.