Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

casinterest

Re: Impeachment: for real this time?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:30 pm

aviationaware wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
Not to mention Nancy P doesn’t need to hold a vote to have Committee Chairs issue subpoenas and carry out an inquiry, thanks to Republicans of yore out to get Clinton, and Republican John Boehner changing the rules. Even FOX news admits it; even if Breitfart does not. https://crooksandliars.com/2019/10/karm ... ules-apply

Anyone who seriously thinks that 3 people having all rights congress can bestow while the minority has zero rights and is even excluded from hearings is a big fat moron and doesn't deserve the freedoms being American brings with itself.

Go talk to John Boehner and Paul Ryan about your complaint. This is how the GOP set it up so they could exclude the democrats from the Benghazi hearings.
Where ever you go, there you are.

ParkFSI

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:50 pm

casinterest wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
casinterest wrote:

To what? Prison President?

I hate to tell you but if anyone is going to prison it's Nancy Pelosi if she escalates this coup d'état attempt without authorization from a full House vote.

Get back to me when you have read the Constitution ,learned about the equal branches of government, and what constitutes a coup d'etat. You will find that Pelosi is doing her job. Trump on the other hand is not.

“ coup d'etat “ I can’t find that in the Constitution ? Can direct me to were it’s located ?

Thanks
Thread killer

casinterest

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:03 pm

For the record,
The most dishonorable President of the United State attacking American citizens.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 5051601920
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 1731209220

Theodore Roosevelt warned of this as Treason.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:19 pm

afcjets wrote:

I could be wrong but I am going to trust Forbes over your banker friend.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chasewitho ... 08d8b225b0

You are obviously free to think what you want, but even Forbes does not trust Forbes on that one.

Quote from link. . .

Nearly every assertion supporting that claim was untrue. Trump wasn’t just poorer than he said he was. Over time, I have learned that he should not have been on the first three Forbes 400 lists at all. In our first-ever list, in 1982, we included him at $100 million, but Trump was actually worth roughly $5 million — a paltry sum by the standards of his super-monied peers — as a spate of government reports and books showed only much later.

That was a long time ago, but it speaks to the sort of man he is regarding these matters. More importantly, it is fucking hilarious.

More recently. . .

In June 2015, Business Insider published Trump's June 2014 financial statement, noting that $3.3 billion of that total is represented by "Real Estate Licensing Deals, Brand and Branded Developments", described by Business Insider as "basically [implying] that Trump values his character at $3.3 billion".

His "billions" come from licensing and brand equity, as mentioned previously. These are also things that are not actual money.

More humorously...

Trump has testified that "my net worth fluctuates, and it goes up and down with markets and with attitudes and with feelings—even my own feelings"

While I am not philosophically opposed to turning feelings into money, I am bigger fan of deriving my wealth figures from assets that actually exist. Trump does not share my outlook on that one. . .

Both inside and outside of NYC, his real estate assets are also all encumbered. This does not leave him much tangible wealth, and cash-on-hand is likely even worse than I thought before this discussion.

He is richer than I am, but that is about as much as I am willing to believe at this point. . .

BN747 wrote:
I mentioned this before, just after the election, I was in a deep conversation with a visiting banker and I prodded him about the subject and he openly admitted that was pretty much the buzz among bankers - 'That trump was nowhere near a ...at best worth $250 mil tops.

Then came the biographer David Cay Johnston, who has known him for 30+ years...same thing, he's far being a billionaire and more details on Orange Twitter than anyone-including Melania

Hmmm...

At the time, three individuals with direct knowledge of Trump's finances told reporter Timothy L. O'Brien that Trump's actual net worth was between $150 and $250 million, though Trump then publicly claimed a net worth of $5 to $6 billion. Claiming libel, Trump sued the reporter (and his book publisher) for $5 billion, lost the case, and then lost again on appeal; Trump refused to turn over his unredacted tax returns despite his assertion they supported his case.

Reference is made. . .

Setting the hilariously petty nature of this aside, he should have been able to very easily win that case, were he an actual billionaire. Libel claims are virtually, if not literally outright, impossible to lose if there are real falsehoods involved.

In any event, I do not consider his wealth, fake or less fake, to be of great consequence. To me, this is just one more of those things where surface claims are obviously enough to satisfy the acolytes. But like a fake ID, any real inspection or check quickly reveals what a phony this is. On the plus side, the more one digs, the funnier it gets. So there is that. . .

What will be interesting to see is how much trouble this gets him into post presidency. Most of his 'assets' are in NYC. A place he is likely to be facing more legal issues soon.

aviationaware wrote:

Anyone who seriously thinks that 3 people having all rights congress can bestow while the minority has zero rights and is even excluded from hearings is a big fat moron and doesn't deserve the freedoms being American brings with itself.

You should watch the blood pressure, there. . .

casinterest wrote:
aviationaware wrote:

Go talk to John Boehner and Paul Ryan about your complaint. This is how the GOP set it up so they could exclude the democrats from the Benghazi hearings.

Loud Noises!
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

SanDiegoLover

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:17 pm

aviationaware wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
Not to mention Nancy P doesn’t need to hold a vote to have Committee Chairs issue subpoenas and carry out an inquiry, thanks to Republicans of yore out to get Clinton, and Republican John Boehner changing the rules. Even FOX news admits it; even if Breitfart does not. https://crooksandliars.com/2019/10/karm ... ules-apply

Republicans from the Intelligence Committee are included in the hearings and welcome to attend, and given time for questioning as well. Someone’s been spending too much time at Breitfart and ZeroHedge.

afcjets

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:33 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
afcjets wrote:

I could be wrong but I am going to trust Forbes over your banker friend.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chasewitho ... 08d8b225b0

You are obviously free to think what you want, but even Forbes does not trust Forbes on that one.

Your self titled Forbes link is a Washington Post opinion link from 2018 written by the guy who compiled the list for Forbes 35 years ago. My link is a 2019 link that actually links to Forbes. Has Forbes not learned their lesson or is it possible they are right today? My guess is the latter or somewhere in between and he is still a billionaire but might be guilty of "fake it til you make it".

Aaron747

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:54 pm

aviationaware wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:

Guess you’ve never heard of the three committees conducting inquiry. Next....

At least he isn’t making the absurd due process claims!
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seb146

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:59 am

Are we just going to ignore House Republicans storming a closed door session?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/23/politics ... index.html

The deposition was attended by both Republicans and Democrats in equal number who had every right to be there. Until Republicans who had no right to be there, came storming in with cell phones recording. A clear violation of the rules of law for that particular hearing. I wonder if any posters who know people with high security clearances who will defend these America hating Republicans?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aaron747

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:16 am

It’s a circus - imagine what would happen if any of us entered a city council meeting, court proceeding, much less Congressional session in the same manner? Instant arrest.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Eyad89

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:55 am

Seriously, what happened to the States? Those republicans are embarrassing themselves. They are like :”WE WANT A DICTATOR”.

Aaron747

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:03 am

Eyad89 wrote:
Seriously, what happened to the States? Those republicans are embarrassing themselves. They are like :”WE WANT A DICTATOR”.

That would at least be a policy statement. This is more like ‘we must own the libs at any cost’ groupthink.

MaverickM11

Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:55 am

seb146 wrote:

The deposition was attended by both Republicans and Democrats in equal number who had every right to be there. Until Republicans who had no right to be there, came storming in with cell phones recording. A clear violation of the rules of law for that particular hearing. I wonder if any posters who know people with high security clearances who will defend these America hating Republicans?

Led by the drunk driving looney tunes alt right offspring of a Florida senator that defrauded medicare like another Florida republican politician? Boy the GOP really has a type--nepotism, fraud, holocaust denial--all aboard the white nationalist express! Toot toot 4 Jesus!
I don't take responsibility at all

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:05 am

seb146 wrote:

"as Cooper was sitting down to testify, the Republicans stormed through the room's three different doors"

*cough* witness intimidation *cough* :roll:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

casinterest

Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:19 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
seb146 wrote:

"as Cooper was sitting down to testify, the Republicans stormed through the room's three different doors"

Well on the plus side, it helped to undermine their "process" argument, since they were not willing to follow the rules. But we already know that the rules don't apply to Republicans.

seb146

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:41 pm

casinterest wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Well on the plus side, it helped to undermine their "process" argument, since they were not willing to follow the rules. But we already know that the rules don't apply to Republicans.

I came back to see the MAGA defense of this law breaking but nothing. I guess they are still waiting for their excuse of the day.

Another interesting point pundits are talking about is no one is demanding the administration is innocent. Rather, they are name calling those investigating the administration. Using terms like "fake" and "fraud" and "lynching" and so forth.

casinterest

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:59 pm

seb146 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

I came back to see the MAGA defense of this law breaking but nothing. I guess they are still waiting for their excuse of the day.

Another interesting point pundits are talking about is no one is demanding the administration is innocent. Rather, they are name calling those investigating the administration. Using terms like "fake" and "fraud" and "lynching" and so forth.

Just look at today. Seriously this is an official in the White House Administration justifying "Human Scum"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/white-hou ... human-scum

casinterest

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:22 pm

Wow.
Looks like the QUID PRO QUO is looking more and more likely, and it is causing a shift in the Republicans that actually are honorable enough to attend their committee hearings.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/24/politics ... index.html

n a closed-door deposition Tuesday, Taylor said he had been told by Gordon Sondland, the US ambassador to the European Union, that "everything" Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky wanted, including a White House meeting and military aid to the country, would be held up until he publicly delared investigations sought by Trump

Republican sources on Capitol Hill told CNN there's a "growing unease that there is no defense" of the President's actions.
"How do you defend the indefensible?" one source told CNN. "We can't defend the substance, All we can do is talk about process."

For example ,
Lindsey Graham this afternoon introduced a resolution complaining about the processes that were put in effect by Republicans in 2015.

"Graham ended the presser with, “I’m not here to tell you that Donald Trump has done nothing wrong”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 088121002/

MaverickM11

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:39 pm

casinterest wrote:
Wow.
Looks like the QUID PRO QUO is looking more and more likely, and it is causing a shift in the Republicans that actually are honorable enough to attend their committee hearings.

n a closed-door deposition Tuesday, Taylor said he had been told by Gordon Sondland, the US ambassador to the European Union, that "everything" Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky wanted, including a White House meeting and military aid to the country, would be held up until he publicly delared investigations sought by Trump

Republican sources on Capitol Hill told CNN there's a "growing unease that there is no defense" of the President's actions.
"How do you defend the indefensible?" one source told CNN. "We can't defend the substance, All we can do is talk about process."

For example ,
Lindsey Graham this afternoon introduced a resolution complaining about the processes that were put in effect by Republicans in 2015.

"Graham ended the presser with, “I’m not here to tell you that Donald Trump has done nothing wrong”

You know this is just the beginning too...you pull on that string even a little and god knows what other garbage you'll find.

On the bright side for the MAGA crowd, it will only get worse. :rotfl:
I don't take responsibility at all

seb146

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:12 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Wow.

For example ,

You know this is just the beginning too...you pull on that string even a little and god knows what other garbage you'll find.

And name calling. Don't forget that we deserve to be called "human scum". They wanted civility and honor. With all the name calling over the past 3 years and now we "deserve to be called human scum" that is out the window. We tried. All bets are off. Good luck.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/stephani ... a2a859157c

Ken777

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:42 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
. .

In June 2015, Business Insider published Trump's June 2014 financial statement, noting that $3.3 billion of that total is represented by "Real Estate Licensing Deals, Brand and Branded Developments", described by Business Insider as "basically [implying] that Trump values his character at $3.3 billion".

His "billions" come from licensing and brand equity, as mentioned previously. These are also things that are not actual money.

More humorously...

Trump has testified that "my net worth fluctuates, and it goes up and down with markets and with attitudes and with feelings—even my own feelings"

Both inside and outside of NYC, his real estate assets are also all encumbered. This does not leave him much tangible wealth, and cash-on-hand is likely even worse than I thought before this discussion.

BN747 wrote:
I mentioned this before, just after the election, I was in a deep conversation with a visiting banker and I prodded him about the subject and he openly admitted that was pretty much the buzz among bankers - 'That trump was nowhere near a ...at best worth $250 mil tops.

Then came the biographer David Cay Johnston, who has known him for 30+ years...same thing, he's far being a billionaire and more details on Orange Twitter than anyone-including Melania

So Trump's $3.3 Billion is similar to what accountants would call Goodwill, but there was no cash transaction to support that number. With the cancellation of the G7 Meeting that is going to cost some of that $3.3 - especially with the Bed Bug Suit brought back to public view.

The $250 million sounds closer to reality, but that puts Trump on thin ice financially. If the House gets his banking records, especially his loan applications, then he is in big trouble. Banks calling his loans for real estate properties and Trump will probably fold - especially if Putin was behind the guaranteeing of the loans.

Trump will eventually understand that being Impeached will crash his appearance of "character".

BerenErchamion

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:31 am

seb146 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Wow.

For example ,

And name calling. Don't forget that we deserve to be called "human scum". They wanted civility and honor. With all the name calling over the past 3 years and now we "deserve to be called human scum" that is out the window. We tried. All bets are off. Good luck.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/stephani ... a2a859157c

On the bright side, we're quickly learning what side our neighbors, family members, and coworkers would have been on in 1930s Germany...

BN747

Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:41 am

Ken777 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
. .

More humorously...

BN747 wrote:

So Trump's $3.3 Billion is similar to what accountants would call Goodwill, but there was no cash transaction to support that number. With the cancellation of the G7 Meeting that is going to cost some of that $3.3 - especially with the Bed Bug Suit brought back to public view.

The $250 million sounds closer to reality, but that puts Trump on thin ice financially. If the House gets his banking records, especially his loan applications, then he is in big trouble. Banks calling his loans for real estate properties and Trump will probably fold - especially if Putin was behind the guaranteeing of the loans.

If that happens, it will not be a pretty sight...he'd likely (as many people who experience such financial devastation) resort to a swan dive off SoHo tower, but nah...he's afraid of his own shadow if left alone. He'll do something very unpredictable and shameful.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

casinterest

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:00 pm

John Bolton is next to speak to the investigative committees

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... ats-latest

A number of political commentators expressed surprise – and in some cases, glee – at the news that John Bolton is in talks to sit for a deposition in House Democrats’ impeachment inquiry.

Trump’s former national security adviser reportedly expressed concerns about the role of Rudy Giuliani, the president’s personal lawyer, in outreach to Ukrainian officials.

Trump is going to be lighting up that twitter pad soon.

SanDiegoLover

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:25 pm

casinterest wrote:

A number of political commentators expressed surprise – and in some cases, glee – at the news that John Bolton is in talks to sit for a deposition in House Democrats’ impeachment inquiry.

Trump’s former national security adviser reportedly expressed concerns about the role of Rudy Giuliani, the president’s personal lawyer, in outreach to Ukrainian officials.

Trump is going to regret firing so many people like Bolton, who know how Washington works. Trump is so out of his element it’s astounding. It’d be as if I decided to build a skyscraper in NYC, when my only experience has been building residential homes in MN and NC.

If you’ve noticed too, in the past 2 days Republicans have given up on the whole “Trump was just fighting corruption” when it came out earlier this week Trump has slashed foreign aid monies to countries around the world SPECIFICALLY targeting corruption funds including almost $30 million to Ukraine for corruption.

casinterest

Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:45 pm

SanDiegoLover wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Trump is going to regret firing so many people like Bolton, who know how Washington works. Trump is so out of his element it’s astounding. It’d be as if I decided to build a skyscraper in NYC, when my only experience has been building residential homes in MN and NC.

If you’ve noticed too, in the past 2 days Republicans have given up on the whole “Trump was just fighting corruption” when it came out earlier this week Trump has slashed foreign aid monies to countries around the world SPECIFICALLY targeting corruption funds including almost $30 million to Ukraine for corruption.

If the economy goes south and the GOP is still standing behind Trump, they sink like the Titanic. They are to scared to run for the lifeboats, just hoping they can make it through election season before the boat sinks.

casinterest

Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:54 pm

Anyone else starting to wonder if Barr's Russia Criminal Investigation Investigation has suddenly turned on Rudy?

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/2 ... ent-057125

The criminal division of the Justice Department in Washington has taken an interest in the former New York mayor, too, meaning an expansion of resources that indicates the politically sensitive probe into the president’s personal attorney is both broader and moving at a faster pace than previously understood.

Story Continued Below

Adding DOJ’s criminal division to the Giuliani probe is sure to place additional scrutiny on William Barr, who as attorney general has final say over all department business. Already, Barr’s reputation has taken hits over his handling of the public rollout on Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation, with Democrats complaining he spun the special counsel’s findings earlier this year to give them a pro-Trump flavor.

bgm

Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:29 pm

casinterest wrote:
Anyone else starting to wonder if Barr's Russia Criminal Investigation Investigation has suddenly turned on Rudy?

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/2 ... ent-057125

The criminal division of the Justice Department in Washington has taken an interest in the former New York mayor, too, meaning an expansion of resources that indicates the politically sensitive probe into the president’s personal attorney is both broader and moving at a faster pace than previously understood.

Story Continued Below

Adding DOJ’s criminal division to the Giuliani probe is sure to place additional scrutiny on William Barr, who as attorney general has final say over all department business. Already, Barr’s reputation has taken hits over his handling of the public rollout on Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation, with Democrats complaining he spun the special counsel’s findings earlier this year to give them a pro-Trump flavor.

Speaking of Rudy....

Rudy Giuliani butt-dials NBC reporter, heard discussing need for cash and trashing Bidens
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... h-n1071901

Hires only the best people, right? :rotfl:
If you hate wearing a mask, you’re really going to hate using a ventilator.

casinterest

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:02 pm

Hey good news for Graham. He doesn't need to write up a bogus protest.

A judge has declared the current proceedings to be legal, and has granted the Impeachment inquiry teams access to the Mueller Grand Jury documents.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/25/politics ... index.html

In carrying out the weighty constitutional duty of determining whether impeachment of the President is warranted," Howell wrote, "Congress need not redo the nearly two years of effort spent on the Special Counsel's investigation, nor risk being misled by witnesses, who may have provided information."
She adds, "Tipping the scale even further toward disclosure is the public's interest in a diligent and thorough investigation into, and in a final determination about, potentially impeachable conduct by the President described in the Mueller Report."

Howell says the House is already conducting a legal impeachment investigation and that the courts can assist Congress in getting the administration to hand over documents or allow testimony, said Steve Vladeck, CNN legal analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of Law.
"Assuming the Court of Appeals agrees with her in these respects," Vladeck said, "that will not only put nearly everything that the House is doing on firm legal ground, but it would also suggest that the White House's obstinacy was remarkably short-sighted."

casinterest

Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:12 pm

Mattis says that Trump asked the defense department to not deal with Amazon. Mattis held the line, in theory, but what if after he was gone last year, the books were tossed out?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/26/trump-m ... -jedi.html

"“Relaying the story to us during Small Group, Mattis said, ‘We’re not going to do that. This will be done by the book, both legally and ethically,’” Snodgrass writes. CNBC has reviewed the relevant passages of the book."

Ken777

Trump gets his Formal Impeachment vote

Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:30 pm

. House Democrats said Monday that the House will vote Thursday to formalize procedures for the next phase of the impeachment inquiry into President Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

While Trump will consider this a victory the big problem is that the WH can no longer argue in court that subpoenas are not valid because the House investigation is not legitimate.

Charles Kupperman, who served as a deputy to former national security adviser John Bolton, filed a lawsuit Friday seeking guidance from a federal judge about whether he should listen to the executive branch, which has told him not to attend, or to Congress. Since there has not yet been a ruling, he declined to appear.

(Same reference to WaPo)

The impeachment vote will will make it far easier for judges to make a decision and Mr. Kupperman will probably be first to have a decision coming down - and he'll head to his meting at the House.

The vote Trump wanted so much may well make it possible for eh House to get documents and testimony on the Bank Fraud and Insurance Fraud that Trump's lawyer disclosed. Tax documents are probably also going to be delivered as the Treasury Secretary will not be able to delay it any longer.

Personally I think that Trump should be working hard rot delay the House vote until April Fool's Day.

One really interesting issue - Trump wanted the vote so it will be interesting to see if Republicans in the house will vote to give him his wish. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

LittleSprocket

Re: Trump gets his Formal Impeachment vote

Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:44 pm

You’re right, now what’s REALLY going to be funny is when the Republicans start calling witnesses and gathering testimony as well. I don’t think the Democrats have thought this through...this will bring about a LOT of unanswered questions related to the 2016 election, not just whatever they want to pick and choose to include.

alfa164

Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:50 pm

LittleSprocket wrote:
You’re right, now what’s REALLY going to be funny is when the Republicans start calling witnesses and gathering testimony as well. I don’t think the Democrats have thought this through...this will bring about a LOT of unanswered questions related to the 2016 election, not just whatever they want to pick and choose to include.

Perhaps you haven't noticed yet, but the hearings relate to the impeachment of Herr Trump.... not any issues surrounding the 2016 election. Although a majority of Americans would seem to be happy if that vote could be revisited...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Ken777

Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:53 am

LittleSprocket wrote:

The GOP has not ben too successful when it comes to witnesses, Hillary sat through 11 hours, answering questions under oath, and the Republicans were left with limp dicks.

Until the house vote the 100 members of both parties have been able to ask questions without the 5 minute limitation. I can see public hearings with some nasty testimony hitting Trump, but I can also see the current private sessions continuing, giving both Repoinwho he told not to testify.

Somehow I don't see the Republicans laughing very much.

tommy1808

Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:08 am

Ken777 wrote:
While Trump will consider this a victory the big problem is that the WH can no longer argue in court that subpoenas are not valid because the House investigation is not legitimate.

They couldn't argue that before either.

LittleSprocket wrote:

You are aware that the GOP already had about 3 years to call witnesses and hear testimony about the 2016 election in numerous investigations, right?
They also held the chairmen position in all of the important committees of congress until the midterms and still hold those in the senate.
You may have missed that they agree with the democrats on almost everything about the 2016 election.....

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

casinterest

Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:14 am

The Democrats have the numbers to make the vote. Do the Republicans have the stomach to sit through all the evidence and put themselves on the record of their stances with regards to Trump. The 2020 election will take place one year and 3 days after this vote. How much of that time will be taken by the impeachment process?
What will the articles of impeachment be.
Republicans must be sweating bullets in swing districts.

trpmb6

Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:42 am

What is funny is just a few days ago people were arguing with me here that a formal impeachment vote doesn't matter.

casinterest

Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:49 am

trpmb6 wrote:
What is funny is just a few days ago people were arguing with me here that a formal impeachment vote doesn't matter.

It doesn't though. But what does matter is forcing certain folks to testify and certain folks to declare their intentions as election season gets underway .

tommy1808

Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:50 am

trpmb6 wrote:

And where in this thread does anyone claim it does matter rather than pointing out that those that, falsy, claimed it does matter, can't even use that nonsense anymore?

Beat regards
Thomas

casinterest

Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:52 pm

So according to the one that was not there . The guy ,that was there, heard it wrong, oh and the lawyers typed it wrong, and the Guys that set up the meeting understood it wrong.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/29/77437479 ... trump-call

The testimony of an Army lieutenant colonel who listened in on the phone call between President Trump and the president of Ukraine last July is "wrong, " according to the top House Republican.

"Nothing in that phone call is impeachable," Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said. McCarthy said he did not question Lt. Col. Andrew Vindman's service, but "people have different philosophical beliefs."

Philosophical beliefs on extortion? Maybe McCarthy should have stuck with process.

seb146

Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:07 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

Impeachment inquiry vote. Big difference. And, no, a formal impeachment inquiry vote does not matter. Democrats are holding one on Thursday, anyway. And Republicans are still complaining this is a scam. Even though everything is going by the Constitutional processes and following the Constitutional rules of impeachment inquiry

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/1 ... yuuX9coGRo

Republicans were sitting in and even asking questions during the depositions. And, now, Republicans are saying they were never a part of the process. Just like when they invaded the secure room where both Republicans and Democrats were in attendance and both Republicans and Democrats were asking questions.

seb146

Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:44 pm

LittleSprocket wrote:

It will be funny and embarrassing.

For Republicans.

The only defense they have is "but HILLARY!" and "but OBAMA!" and screaming "FAKE NEWS!" and "Democrats can't follow procedures" and literally zero defense of what the occupant of the White House did. All they have is deflection. No actual defensive facts. Just try to change the subject. Unfortunately, it does work on MAGA fans....

tommy1808

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:37 am

seb146 wrote:
Republicans: we must show a unified party but some of us think the same thing

I wonder at what point the tide will turn.... as Trumps Lawyers can't stop to point out: Pence can be indicted, and hence be imprisoned.

They probably do point that out to say "if you remove Trump, Pence will go to prison and you dont want President Pelosi, right?".

At some point they will have to tell Pence to stab Trump in the back, or pay dearly at the polls. The 2020 senate map is much, much more democrat friendly than 2018.

Best regards
Thomas

casinterest

Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:34 pm

If Trump didn't like attending the Nationals game and getting booed , he sure won't like this.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4682 ... resolution

A voice roll call of all House of Representatives to voice vote their affirmation for Impeachment to proceed.

Also don't be surprised when Trump shuts down the Government again over the impeachment proceedings as they get underway.

727LOVER

Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:51 pm

Trump trying to bribe Republican senators?

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-lures-gop- ... on-brknews
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Aaron747

Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:56 pm

727LOVER wrote:

Well, on that score this 2017 cartoon was never more prescient:

casinterest

Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:58 pm

The process has been voted on and approved.
Majority of the house has affirmed the vote.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html

Scotron12

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:56 pm

casinterest wrote:
If Trump didn't like attending the Nationals game and getting booed , he sure won't like this.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4682 ... resolution

A voice roll call of all House of Representatives to voice vote their affirmation for Impeachment to proceed.

Also don't be surprised when Trump shuts down the Government again over the impeachment proceedings as they get underway.

He can always build another wall! :D

seb146

Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:17 pm

727LOVER wrote:

I think it would be great for him to pour millions of dollars into Senate races only to have them lose in the primaries. The way things are going, it will probably happen in at least one race. Others will probably be close.

BN747

John Dean 2.0

Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:59 pm

We all saw the vote, Dem 232 vs Rep 196 (+2 Dems) on the Resolution to make the Impeachment Inquiry official.

Now, who will be the 2020 John Dean, Nixon's former attorney who turned star witness against him.

Who will the public hearings, week after next, spotlight as the most damning witness to ignite the removal of 45?

Don McGahn
John Kelly
Jeff Sessions
John Bolton
...or will one materialize?

History rolls on and this will certainly interrupt a lot of the pre-holiday mojo the comes earlier and earlier each year.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

TSS

Re: John Dean 2.0

Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:35 pm

Don McGahn- Not sure who he is or if he's been around long enough to have any real dirt.

John Kelly- I'm sure he could tell some stories, but he's a die-hard, by-the-book military man and probably won't talk if he's still technically enlisted... but his eventual autobiography/memoir ought to be a doozy!

Jeff Sessions- Probably in too deep himself to testify without ironclad immunity, which would result in him never holding office again and that would conflict with what I suspect are his further ambitions/aspirations.

John Bolton- As with McGahn, probably came in through the revolving door too late to have any real dirt.

BN747 wrote:
...or will one materialize?

Depends. Who was "inside" early enough and long enough to have real dirt but is now retired and has nothing to lose?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!