Aesma

Re: Trump and Nobel Prize

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:52 pm

Redd wrote:
Good story, gave me a good laugh.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are assuming that a 16 year old understands the world better than you do, you have either led a life of idleness or have a lower opinion of yourself than you should, or have some serious issues with idolization, which circles right back to you having a very low opinion of your own self.

I'd suggest not painting people with your own brush, I had accomplished quite a bit as a young lad as I'm sure many on this forum had as well. Equating 15 minutes of fame to life experience and a thorough understanding of the world is quite absurd, to be honest.

I think she understands it better than most people, because she's single minded. She's pointing out that we would rather continue to live our comfortable lives even if it means she will have a less comfortable one, than do anything about it.

When your children or grandchildren will start to look at you angrily like she is, maybe you'll understand.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Redd

Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:50 pm

Aesma wrote:
Redd wrote:
Good story, gave me a good laugh.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are assuming that a 16 year old understands the world better than you do, you have either led a life of idleness or have a lower opinion of yourself than you should, or have some serious issues with idolization, which circles right back to you having a very low opinion of your own self.

I'd suggest not painting people with your own brush, I had accomplished quite a bit as a young lad as I'm sure many on this forum had as well. Equating 15 minutes of fame to life experience and a thorough understanding of the world is quite absurd, to be honest.

I think she understands it better than most people, because she's single minded. She's pointing out that we would rather continue to live our comfortable lives even if it means she will have a less comfortable one, than do anything about it.

When your children or grandchildren will start to look at you angrily like she is, maybe you'll understand.

Oh I understand, I own two green technology companies. Climate change and the environment happens to be my religion. I just put my money where my mouth is and don't expect other people to do things for me, change starts with the individual. Not governments.

zkojq

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
zkojq wrote:
It's a classic case of Greta Derangement Syndrome

This is why rational conversations are a thing of the past. Because as soon as someone says something that someone else disagrees with, the counterargument is usually an ad-hominem one. People here have various opinions as to why Greta Thunberg, but I haven't seen anything that borders on "derangement syndrome". No one here has gone to lengths comparable to the guest that Fox News had that called her a mentally ill person (for which Fox News had to apologize).

Stating that she is not worthy of a Nobel prize because of her "you took my childhood, how dare you?!" speech isn't derangement; it's actually an acceptable premise to argue. I can go to Congress and slam politicians who are doing nothing to address climate change or student/medical debt, but that won't make me worthy of the Congressional Gold Medal or the Presidential Medal of Freedom unless I have a history championing the cause.

This is just like back a few years ago when we had a lot of pro-Israel members and even the slightest criticism of Israel meant having to carry the label anti-Semite.

My comment about Greta Derangement Syndrome has nothing to do with any measured discussion about whether or not you or others think she deserves a Nobel Prize or not. It's about grown adults losing their minds as they seeth with anger at a sixteen year old having the audacity of bringing attention to a very pressing issue. HOW DARE SHE? Have a look at the comment that I replied to. Whilst I understand that most of the far-right "pundits" in the media who have made a fool of themselves by mocking a 16 year old autistic kid are indeed part of a network that strives to advance the AGW denialist narrative, I fail to understand why anyone would do that to themselves. If you're a pundit going on TV to yell about how an autistic sixteen year old making a speech on saving the planet is impinging on your freedom (or whatever the hell it is) then the joke is very much on you, not Greta. Likewise if you share a meme on social media that compares her to a Nazi. :roll:

Jordan Shanks made a good point of this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RWo65Uhekjs

For the record, I don't think she deserves the prize at this point in time, however if she is able to bring about the change needed to address this issue then my mind is open.
First to fly the 787-9

zkojq

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:56 pm

BN747 wrote:
Maloak33 wrote:
TSS wrote:

Seriously? You think the over-emotional and ridiculously histrionic ("You've stolen my childhood!!!" :roll: erm, you can thank your parents for that, young lady) teenage girl deserves a Nobel Prize for the absurdly melodramatic show she put on at the UN? Come on, man, get real.
Mal

TSS wrote:

Seriously? You think the over-emotional and ridiculously histrionic ("You've stolen my childhood!!!" :roll: erm, you can thank your parents for that, young lady) teenage girl deserves a Nobel Prize for the absurdly melodramatic show she put on at the UN? Come on, man, get real. You may not have seen that act before but I have. Just go to a "Rededication Service" or similar at an Evangelical church where teenagers, mostly girls, get up in front of the whole congregation and talk about how they're gonna "rededicate their lives to Jesus" and you'll get to see the exact same act but with a different script and, it must be said, generally better actresses playing the lead role(s).

I must admit that I'm shocked at the scorn set upon a teenage girl who became a popular face of the Climate Change movement.

Had any of you, ANY of you were the focal point of any movement of awareness of this kind, at her age - achieved what she has or David Hogg, the Parkland kid...it is not short of amazement and gutsy given most people of that age (and every single one of you critics here) would crap your pants with all that spotlight on you - and asked to speak PUBLICLY, you'd all lock up like a semi pumping brakes on the freeway.

What is wrong with you people?

Yes, she and David Hogg are far more qualified for Nobel Prize than a lying nutcase leader of this country or any other.

BN747

The offended industrial complex are offended because a young person has the audacity to tell them what to do. Young people being proactive on the issue is a threat to the establishment.
First to fly the 787-9

einsteinboricua

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:41 pm

zkojq wrote:
It's about grown adults losing their minds as they seeth with anger at a sixteen year old having the audacity of bringing attention to a very pressing issue.

There are ways to bring about attention to the topic. Saying that her childhood has been stolen from her? Tell that to the many displaced children of civil wars or children who are essentially the adults in their family because their parents have been killed or disabled. She has a comfy life in one of the safest and most prosperous nations in the world; childhood stolen?!

I think you'll find more sympathy from many grown-ups (not all because some are a lost cause, but I digress) if she struck a different tone: urgent but not dramatic.

zkojq wrote:
If you're a pundit going on TV to yell about how an autistic sixteen year old making a speech on saving the planet is impinging on your freedom (or whatever the hell it is) then the joke is very much on you, not Greta. Likewise if you share a meme on social media that compares her to a Nazi. :roll:

Yeah, those people are a lost cause. The only problem is that they're the ones making the loudest noise, and while being loud doesn't mean being correct, the sheeple will follow them.

zkojq wrote:
For the record, I don't think she deserves the prize at this point in time, however if she is able to bring about the change needed to address this issue then my mind is open.

Somehow, I think that if the Nobel Prize is not awarded to her, she'll get a lot of sympathy from people who will claim the prize is rigged. Just wait until they announce the nominees.

Of course, Trump will still claim it's rigged if HE doesn't win so what else is new.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Veigar

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:08 pm

As other posters have pointed out, the Nobel Prize is kind of a nothing burger now. Who cares.

Aesma

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Redd wrote:
Oh I understand, I own two green technology companies. Climate change and the environment happens to be my religion. I just put my money where my mouth is and don't expect other people to do things for me, change starts with the individual. Not governments.

But do you reduce your carbon emissions ?

I don't see how you can argue that individuals are the key, do you think the ozone layer would be as it is now if governments hadn't banned CFCs ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Redd

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Aesma wrote:
Redd wrote:

But do you reduce your carbon emissions ?

I don't see how you can argue that individuals are the key, do you think the ozone layer would be as it is now if governments hadn't banned CFCs ?

1. Well, if I mentioned that the environment happens to be my religion, it's probably a safe bet to assume that I do ;)

2. Individuals are key because governments didn't ban CFC's on their own, they did it because people demanded it. I don't know if you're old enough to remember the whole CFC thing while it was happening, but it was driven by the demand of people and media. I was quite young at the time but remember it well enough, the ozone layer, CFC's and pollution were the hot topics of the day.

Aesma

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:56 pm

1. Good.
2. No, I was too young. You shouldn't have a problem with Greta then, raising awareness for everyone.

Redd

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:50 pm

Aesma wrote:
1. Good.
2. No, I was too young. You shouldn't have a problem with Greta then, raising awareness for everyone.

My problem isn't with Greta per-se, but with her elevation to the speaker/symbol for the cause. She's not a good one for it, for reasons already spoken about.

stratosphere

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:58 am

BN747 wrote:
Redd wrote:
BN747 wrote:
But to slam a 15yo girl for having the stones what none of you dare not do...is my aim. To dunk on her these 'other' MEN have done here..is disturbing to say the least.
Jealousy? Understood...but 'jealous of a kid in the spotlight, well there's no words to explain a sane adult trashing a kid like I've seen her...that's tragic.

Were she a little Nazi, I could see that but this is antithetical those like minds.

BN747

I don't think you understand in the slightest why people are dismissing her. It's because she hasn't done anything.

And right there is your problem.

What had you accomplished by 15?

Best thing I can remember achieving at 15 was when after gym class, I walked behind a yakkidie cheerleader surrounded by hordes of students (we had an open air pavilion as lunching/meals area) and slung a sordid jockstrap over her face. Sure was a hit but scorching and searing embarrassment for her, I've seen her since at HS reunions - she forgives me and I steal feel awful about it - it's one of those things I wish I could take back.

That is no kind of accomplishment for 15yo other than insensitive foolishness.

..but 15, as I stated earlier, at that age she has accomplished MORE than anyone reading this. Sure, the internet made her, it gave her notoriety...but that is the center of our world today, I'd she understands that better than you. Hell, most of us.

BN747

She hasn't accomplished a damn thing. She is being played by her parents and other progressives. She does not have a clue about life or climate change. I am all for being a better servant to our planet but what we do as Americans means very little when India and China are the biggest threats to our planet and they will never stop polluting no matter what little kids come out on climate change.

BN747

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:15 am

stratosphere wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Redd wrote:

I don't think you understand in the slightest why people are dismissing her. It's because she hasn't done anything.

And right there is your problem.

What had you accomplished by 15?

Best thing I can remember achieving at 15 was when after gym class, I walked behind a yakkidie cheerleader surrounded by hordes of students (we had an open air pavilion as lunching/meals area) and slung a sordid jockstrap over her face. Sure was a hit but scorching and searing embarrassment for her, I've seen her since at HS reunions - she forgives me and I steal feel awful about it - it's one of those things I wish I could take back.

That is no kind of accomplishment for 15yo other than insensitive foolishness.

..but 15, as I stated earlier, at that age she has accomplished MORE than anyone reading this. Sure, the internet made her, it gave her notoriety...but that is the center of our world today, I'd she understands that better than you. Hell, most of us.

BN747

She hasn't accomplished a damn thing. She is being played by her parents and other progressives. She does not have a clue about life or climate change. I am all for being a better servant to our planet but what we do as Americans means very little when India and China are the biggest threats to our planet and they will never stop polluting no matter what little kids come out on climate change.

Teen hate on Teen...soon to be a crime.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

anrec80

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:22 am

stratosphere wrote:

Agree. Greta isn’t the Nobel prize candidate. But - those adults who are using her, and underage teenagers to promote their political agenda are candidates for investigation for sure. Regardless how noble your politics beliefs are, children aren’t there to promote them.

anrec80

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:29 am

caliboy93 wrote:
Trump has long talked about his desire to win the Nobel Peace Prize, does he deserve it though?

Well, Obama got his just for beautiful talk, not even having done anything. And shortly after he got it - he started bombing Libya. So why not Trump? He hasn’t started any new wars - yet at least. And if he actually manages to withdraw American troops at least from somewhere - Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria - he’ll deserve one for sure. All that military presence is a huge drag and burden on American economy and American communities, and consequences of this presence are here to stay for decades.

SQ22

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Thread went off topic and will be locked.