ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Population Growth in Dallas/Fort Worth

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:42 am

What has population growth in Fort Worth been like over the past 10 years compared to Dallas, because I understand that the Dallas area has grown heavily over the past 10 years.

LittleFokker

Re: Population Growth in Dallas/Fort Worth

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:07 am

Most the population growth has been to the north of both cities, up around Frisco/The Colony/McKinney.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

casinterest

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:08 am

http://fortworthtexas.gov/about/population/

Forth worth 2008-2018

708256-895008

Dallas

1,253.500-1345047

118547 diff

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dallas+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

You can run the numbers, but Ft Worth beat our Dallas
Where ever you go, there you are.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:40 am

LittleFokker wrote:
Most the population growth has been to the north of both cities, up around Frisco/The Colony/McKinney.

Why is there so much population growth up there.

johns624

Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:52 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

Because there's space? If there is population growth, there also has to be population sprawl.

Pi7472000

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:26 pm

I had to go to Dallas recently and it felt like one giant suburb. Lots of sprawl and homes, but little character compared to many other cities I have seen. The downtown is not as interesting as other large U.S. cities. Seems like a lot of growth is not managed or designed well there.

jdstJD

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:29 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

Well northern suburban cities like Plano, McKinney, Garland and others have made a lot of investments in economic development and revitalization and as a result of that more high profile companies are anchoring there and bringing higher paying jobs there which attracts higher income earning families there. A lot of people want a suburban living environment but remain close enough to urban Dallas/Fort Worth for the amenities they offer as well.

I live in San Antonio and we’re experiencing the same trend here.
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.

dfwjim1

Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:49 pm

Read an article recently (can't remember where) that the DFW area added 2,000,000 people between 2000 and 2018 which is incredible. A favorable business climate, central location and relatively low cost of living are the main reasons.

TWA772LR

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:28 am

jdstJD wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

Well northern suburban cities like Plano, McKinney, Garland and others have made a lot of investments in economic development and revitalization and as a result of that more high profile companies are anchoring there and bringing higher paying jobs there which attracts higher income earning families there. A lot of people want a suburban living environment but remain close enough to urban Dallas/Fort Worth for the amenities they offer as well.

But the difference between Dallas and San Antonio is that San Antonio is cool.

Signed,
A Houstonian that's now in Denver
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

notdownnlocked

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:48 am

Too many of y’all moving here. Stay at your own home. Already too crowded and too expensive.

jdstJD

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:44 am

TWA772LR wrote:
jdstJD wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Signed,

Yeah San Antonio’s pretty cool, for the most part. Like anywhere else it has it’s not-so-nice areas as well.

Houston to Denver...that’s quite a change.
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.

TWA772LR

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:46 pm

jdstJD wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
jdstJD wrote:

Signed,

Yeah San Antonio’s pretty cool, for the most part. Like anywhere else it has it’s not-so-nice areas as well.

I like SA more than I like Austin or DFW. Its just so laid back which is more my style.

And yeah, Denver is a stark contrast to Houston, but it's where I was offered a job.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

texdravid

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:19 am

In a word....south Asian migration.

Frisco, McKinney et. al have had immense south Asian immigration due to IT and healthcare fields.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

Airstud

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:39 am

jdstJD wrote:

Plus tastier chili. :yummy:
Pancakes are delicious.

usflyer msp

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:24 pm

I really don't care for the DFW area. It has no character and is full of materialistic, fake Christians.

zakuivcustom

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:29 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
I really don't care for the DFW area. It has no character and is full of materialistic, fake Christians.

Which is why more people should move there to make those "fake" Christians become irrelevant. On the flip side, it would still have no character :duck: .

TWA772LR wrote:
I like SA more than I like Austin or DFW. Its just so laid back which is more my style.

Having live in Houston, SA, and Austin myself...
Houston = A giant chaotic mess of everything thrown together, and well, ugly. Definitely very diverse, though, thanks to it being a totally chaotic city (Thanks, the lack of zoning law).
Austin = No longer weird, too many wannabes thinking they're "liberal", and well, the worst traffic in Texas. Surrounding area is beautiful, though.
SA = Very Mexican, although that also means the Mexican food is good there. A boring city also with a basketball team that used to represent that very well (The Duncun/Manu/Parker era Spurs).

(Side note, as boring as I feel SA was, it's still more interesting than Indy aka my current home).

Only visited Dallas for business, so, well, it does feel very corporate (but then I was there for business reason). At least Dallas is better than Fort Worth :duck: .

P.S. All the large metros in Texas are growing like crazy anyway. For me, the more people the merrier as it makes those old-school ultra conservative "fake" Christians become more and more irrelevant.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

sccutler

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:05 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

Nothing like a blatantly offensive stereotype.

There is loads of character here (and differing vibes in different areas), but (of course) you'd have to have a mind open enough to see it.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

usflyer msp

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:35 am

sccutler wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

There is loads of character here (and differing vibes in different areas), but (of course) you'd have to have a mind open enough to see it.

Yes, there are different characters. The poor neighborhoods have shotgun houses and the other neighborhoods differ between whether you have a Mediterranean, Tudor, or Country French McMansion and what the chain restaurant and megachurch branch campus mix is.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:39 am

The people that live north of Plano, and Plano to a degree, are suffering through road widenings. The widening is good, but the construction to get there causes many headaches. Growing pains.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

blueflyer

Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Both Dallas and Fort Worth have a few neighborhoods full of character, however they are small and both cities do a crappy job of advertising their existence. As far as Ft Worth is concerned, the lack of awareness may not be a bad thing as locals fill them up on weekends already.

DIRECTFLT wrote:
The people that live north of Plano, and Plano to a degree, are suffering through road widenings. The widening is good, but the construction to get there causes many headaches. Growing pains.

Widening roads only results in more traffic. The widening is short-term relief.

The only proven methods of reducing congestion in the long-term are cost-based. That is either charge for the use of the roads, or increase property tax rates around the roads. Adding asphalt reduces congestion in the short-term, and attracts new residents and businesses...
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

MaverickM11

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:54 am

Just about every major city in Texas is growing gangbusters, between the relatively affordable living and job growth.
sccutler wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Well...TBN has a major studio there in Irving...and Jan Crouch's pink wig, coveted by drag queens 'round the world, is their only redeeming quality

TWA772LR wrote:
jdstJD wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Signed,

And yeah, Denver is a stark contrast to Houston, but it's where I was offered a job.

Once upon a time Denver had parking. Wish I bought some real estate back then.
E pur si muove -Galileo

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:31 pm

Traffic in Dallas has gotten worse in the past 5 years with this population growth as far as I have seen.

DL717

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:19 pm

blueflyer wrote:
Widening roads only results in more traffic. The widening is short-term relief.

The only proven methods of reducing congestion in the long-term are cost-based. That is either charge for the use of the roads, or increase property tax rates around the roads. Adding asphalt reduces congestion in the short-term, and attracts new residents and businesses...

Central planners have this completely wrong in an effort to complain about driving and bolster transit spending outside a cities core where it doesn’t work, ever. Widening roads provides relief for existing traffic demand. Development results in roadway demand increases that always outpace existing roadway capacity resulting in traffic until development can no longer (or is no longer permitted to) occur, it will then level out if lanes are added provided they don’t push vertical development increasing density and more demand. If you have traffic, but halt development a single lane addition will be sufficient to meet properly meet demand. Thus, responsible planning is what is needed.

Case in point. 30 years ago you could drive from Cheyenne to Denver with zero traffic until you got to Longmont and even then it didn’t get too bad until you approached Stapleton on a four lane highway. Urban sprawl has made a mess of this corridor all the way down from Ft. Collins. That’s not a roadway problem, it’s a development problem, but development means more tax revenue... and more complaining about traffic.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

DIRECTFLT

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:57 pm

Any trip to run errands is done strategically, to avoid rush hour, school zone, and downpours. The "LA sprawl" is coming soon to North Texas.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling