caliboy93
Topic Author

Self-marriage

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:24 am

Is self marriage legal? I'm considering it because I'm having trouble finding a date, and having a disability doesn't help either.

During my wedding, I'll recite wedding vows facing a mirror, dance with a robot, and put a ring on my own finger.

SanDiegoLover

Re: Self-marriage

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:37 am

Then go through the expense of divorcing yourself when you do find Mr. or Miss Right.

TheF15Ace

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:40 am

Might as well make it official

bennett123

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:50 am

Is this a wind up?.

What is the point?.

TSS

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:01 am

caliboy93 wrote:
Is self marriage legal?

As a guess, I'd say it's not illegal in most places due to lack of precedent, but since all the wedding vows I've ever heard and all the marriage license applications I've ever seen involve two people it may simply not be applicable.

caliboy93 wrote:
I'm considering it because I'm having trouble finding a date, and having a disability doesn't help either.

You've asked how to get a date before and were given some good advice in that thread. Have you thoroughly exhausted all those possibilities yet?

Also, since you mentioned it, what exactly is your disability and how does it affect you getting a date?

caliboy93 wrote:
During my wedding, I'll recite wedding vows facing a mirror, dance with a robot, and put a ring on my own finger.

After you get married, will you nag yourself if you don't account for how you spent every single moment of your day? Will you accuse yourself of having an affair if you're 15 minutes late getting home from work? Will you complain that you spend too much time playing video games and not enough time doing activities that you absolutely hate with yourself? Will you get mad at yourself for no apparent reason, pout and sulk for days afterward, and refuse to tell yourself why you're mad? Will you drag yourself to a clothing store, ask yourself "Does my butt look big in these jeans?" knowing full well that it does, and then dare yourself to give an honest answer? Will you passive-aggressively not allow yourself to have any single friends or indeed any friends of your own at all because they might be "a bad influence" in your marriage? These things are what marriage is all about and if you're not ready to take on these responsibilities then you're not ready to get married.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

BlueberryWheats

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:43 am

bennett123 wrote:
Is this a wind up?.

What is the point?.

Any excuse for a big party and getting all dressy I suppose.

Speaking of getting dressy, I wonder if Caliboy has considered what to wear?

ChrisKen

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:26 am

'Marriage' is simply not applicable to sole indivudual by definition.

You'll generally find it's someone's excuse for a party, narcissism or a business plugging a niche gap in the market to earn some cash.

bgm

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:48 am

Perhaps you could get a snow globe to officiate the wedding?
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

Aesma

Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:20 pm

Plenty of developed countries, starting with Japan and Italy, have a huge fertility problem, meaning people don't make children. Often, they go all the way by staying single. So, you're not alone.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

johns624

Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:50 pm

This whole thread is weird, even by a.net standards...

einsteinboricua

Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:47 pm

I immediately thought about this as soon as I read the thread

bgm wrote:

No. That's the engagement token and wedding present.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

trpmb6

Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:55 pm

johns624 wrote:

OP has a history of posting about dating / finding love. I think we should provide encouraging feedback to OP. Relationships should not be forced and develop in due time. OP, do not despair. Besides, Self-Marriage will just make you disgruntled with yourself and cause you to nag yourself. :)

falstaff

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:22 pm

There would be no point in marrying yourself....

If you want an excuse to have a party just go ahead and do it. 15 years ago a friend's daughter was supposed to get married and due to a cheating soon to be husband she broke it off a week before the date. She couldn't get a refund on the reception, but was able to postpone it. A month later she had a big "didn't get married party". It basically was a wedding reception without a groom. It was an absolute blast.

She ended up meeting a new man and was married ten years ago.

bgm wrote:

or at least give it to yourself as a wedding gift. Long time a.netters know that snow globes are great for relationships.

trpmb6 wrote:
OP, do not despair

Being unmarried has lots of advantages. You can spend as much money on cars, boats, travel, collectibles, or whatever else you enjoy and nobody will bitch at you. I know a guy who has three planes and a helicopter, he probably wouldn't have that many if he was married. My entire house is filled with Falstaff beer memorabilia and my garage is full of vintage lawn & garden equipment. If I was married none of that would be happening. My girlfriend's house is filled with interesting art and there is no way her collection would be as big as it is if she had ever been married. We are perfectly happy living apart and surrounded by our cool stuff. Not every relationship is like that. She's too old to have kids and I don't want any so the the situation is perfect.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

johns624

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:23 pm

Maybe he's deeply religious and doesn't believe in premarital sex... :)

P1aneMad

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:24 pm

Apparently it is more common than I first thought!

Woman marries herself in £21,000 ceremony after being jilted by her groom

A woman who was jilted by her fiancé three months before the big day married herself in a £21,000 ceremony. Laëtitia Nguyen, 38, walked down the aisle alone before exchanging vows with herself on the picturesque island of Santorini in May this year. The finance manager, 38, from Reims, France had planned the wedding of her dreams with her fiancé who she’d been in a relationship with for three years. But three months before they were going to tie the knot he became distant and eventually walked out in February. Laëtitia said: ‘My fiancé and I were on the exact same page.

‘We wanted to have a child after the wedding and we had lot of plans. We both wanted an intimate and wonderful wedding. ‘We were both very proud to be marrying each other and we were both very involved in the preparation for the big day. ‘In mid-February 2017 we split up and I don’t know why. ‘I am still very hurt and always will be, but life is a gift and I must enjoy it.’ Laëtitia’s wedding was the first solo wedding in Santorini, with the ceremony costing £18,000 and the dress costing just over £3,000. She said: ‘You can’t erase a day, so I needed to turn it into something very positive. ‘It was exactly like a normal wedding, just without a groom.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/07/woman-ma ... m-7922786/

Also:

Divorced Woman Marries Herself to Escape Men – Cheats on Herself Two Weeks Later

“It was just like any other wedding – just without a groom. I walked down the aisle, in a pink dress, with a big smile – towards no-one.”
A twice-divorced woman disillusioned by past relationships with men finally found “the one” when she married herself in an “empowering” $5,000 ceremony in front of 130 friends and family in June.

https://pluralist.com/melissa-denton-married-herself/

But this one cheated on herself just two weeks after the wedding!

Tugger

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:47 pm

To my knowledge most states have laws against people with shared DNA being married. You would need to be three or more orders away from yourself.
So I think it is not legal....

Aesma wrote:
Plenty of developed countries, starting with Japan and Italy, have a huge fertility problem, meaning people don't make children. Often, they go all the way by staying single. So, you're not alone.
I think by definition you ARE alone.... :spin:

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

seb146

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:49 pm

Maybe instead of focusing on things you don't have, why not focus on things you have? Find out what your friends are doing and, if any of that interests you, go. If not, find something and go anyway. I used to go to concerts and galleries by myself all the time. I never thought it was a big deal.

The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Redd

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:17 pm

seb146 wrote:

The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

:checkmark:

One of my good friends is about to lose almost half of his fortune, he came home a few months ago and found his wifey banging his 'friend'. 18 years of marriage, luckily no kids, but the woman who had never worked a day in her life is walking away with half of everything he's worked his ass off to achieve.... Not only that, but he's devastated. I've never seen a man hurt like that before.

My advice, marriage isn't worth the trouble. If things go south it's easier to walk away without being married.

einsteinboricua

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:32 pm

Redd wrote:
My advice, marriage isn't worth the trouble. If things go south it's easier to walk away without being married.

Well, prenuptial agreements would have likely solved the problem. Adding a clause to void any claims to property upon divorce for adultery would have allowed your friend to walk away from the marriage while keeping everything he owned and more. In other words, your friend's cheating wife would be without anything to her name except all that which she brought initially.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

casinterest

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:25 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

OP has a history of posting about dating / finding love. I think we should provide encouraging feedback to OP. Relationships should not be forced and develop in due time. OP, do not despair. Besides, Self-Marriage will just make you disgruntled with yourself and cause you to nag yourself. :)

The whole routine is worth a watch, but this timestamp is highly applicable to the thread.
Single guy about Couple problems .

https://youtu.be/3G-UMzERy2s?t=72
Where ever you go, there you are.

DL717

Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:36 am

Words escape me on this thread. Maybe save some money and divorce yourself from the concept... :lol:
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Cadet985

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:00 am

TheF15Ace wrote:

Might as well make it official

I’m 34 and have never had any luck with women. Might not be a bad idea.

Marc

stl07

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:26 am

What do you have? I know plenty of people with mental illnesses that are married.

FYI, tinder and the like are NOT where you are going to find anything and I have seen many desperate individuals go down that worm whole
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:50 am

falstaff wrote:
There would be no point in marrying yourself....

Taxes?

Falstaff wrote:
my garage is full of vintage lawn & garden equipment. If I was married none of that would be happening.

Wait... Which is the bad thing an which one is the good thing? :duck:

Cadet985 wrote:

I’m 34 and have never had any luck with women. Might not be a bad idea.

Marc

I have never had a lot of luck with women either. I am thinking about trying out the whole being single thing. Maybe for at least six months anyway...

P1aneMad wrote:

But this one cheated on herself just two weeks after the wedding!

That woman really does look like she would do anything to remain single. It may not be fair, but I swear there is a whole look to that sort.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

bennett123

Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:53 pm

How do you cheat on yourself?.

Cadet985

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:12 pm

bennett123 wrote:

Switching hands?

Lol.

Marc

falstaff

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:50 pm

Cadet985 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

Switching hands?

Switching from "Miss Michigan" to "Rosie Palms"
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

TSS

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:11 am

bennett123 wrote:
How do you cheat on yourself?

Hmmm... That raises an interesting point: Maybe Caliboy93 is trying to play the "Grass is Greener" angle on this? Anyone who is or has been in a committed relationship knows that most of the time when you're single you can't attract enough attention to get arrested if you walk buck naked down Main Street but the instant you agree to be exclusive, especially if that exclusivity involves a ring and vows, world-class hoo-hoo starts dropping out of the sky into your lap and saying breathily "Hi big boy, what's your name?" while drawing figure eights with their fingertip on your chest. Perhaps Caliboy93 is trying to jump-start that action by marrying himself?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

DIRECTFLT

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:46 am

caliboy93 wrote:
Is self marriage legal? I'm considering it because I'm having trouble finding a date, and having a disability doesn't help either.

You've already been living with yourself long enough to be Common Law married, so why bother.

If you have multiple personalities, then it will be interesting because you'll never know who you'll wake up with each day.

:bouncy:
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Veigar

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:18 pm

If ever legitimate, self marriage would be a funny way to mess with the way taxes work.