Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BN747
Topic Author

Police:72yo Man Fatally Shoot Burglar Then Goes Back to Sleep

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:09 am

A story you gotta love....
A 72-year-old Dallas man fatally shot a burglar, then went back to sleep, police say
https://www.yahoo.com/news/72-old-dalla ... 54236.html

....a piece of mind makes sleep easier...

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

stl07

Re: Police:72yo Man Fatally Shoot Burglar Then Goes Back to Sleep

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:16 am

Once I read it was in Texas I basically knew it all...
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Spar

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:02 am

Being that it was in Texas, I'm surprised the cops weren't on his side.

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:28 pm

Again, more good cop mentality. Saw this on Twitter and people were saying that he was justified in shooting and killing the burglar, but what they fail to take into account was that he was no longer threatened by the burglar. In Texas, the Castle Doctrine section of the penal code allows a homeowner to use deadly force if they feel threatened but only if the perpetrator fails to retreat. In this case, after the first shot, the burglar fled, and this man shot his way. That's no longer a Castle Doctrine.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

extender

Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:43 pm

Ignore the fact that the dead man was coming at him at 0500 with a pick ax. If he shot the guy after he wasn't a threat, the homeowner is up a duck's ass. Anybody walking around with a pick ax at 0500 is not up to any good. And Texas does allow deadly force to protect property.

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:10 pm

extender wrote:
Ignore the fact that the dead man was coming at him at 0500 with a pick ax. If he shot the guy after he wasn't a threat, the homeowner is up a duck's ass. Anybody walking around with a pick ax at 0500 is not up to any good. And Texas does allow deadly force to protect property.

Which is exactly what happened. He warned the burglar to not come towards him and the burglar still did so. He shot. The burglar dropped the ax and fled. He shot again in his direction (though I gotta say, he had good precision to have shot "into the night" and land a bullet in the burglar's neck). First shot was warranted; any subsequent shot was unnecessary if the burglar had fled the scene already.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Spar

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:09 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
extender wrote:

Which is exactly what happened. He warned the burglar to not come towards him and the burglar still did so. He shot. The burglar dropped the ax and fled. He shot again in his direction (though I gotta say, he had good precision to have shot "into the night" and land a bullet in the burglar's neck). First shot was warranted; any subsequent shot was unnecessary if the burglar had fled the scene already.

It seems the cops didn't believe his version of events, so that whole scenario is out the window. The neighbors heard 3 shots. Then there is the fact that he picked up his brass, that's tampering with evidence; I'm surprised he wasn't charged with that.

casinterest

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:21 pm

Spar wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
extender wrote:

It seems the cops didn't believe his version of events, so that whole scenario is out the window. The neighbors heard 3 shots. Then there is the fact that he picked up his brass, that's tampering with evidence; I'm surprised he wasn't charged with that.

Picking up the brass and calling the lawyer prior to calling 911 ( 2 hours after the fact) does not help. The other issue is that the coroner may pinpoint TOD at another time, at which point the homeowner's story goes completely out the window. Either way, something didn't add up here, and the cops charged him with Murder.

I guess we will find out more in the coming weeks and months.
Where ever you go, there you are.