NightStar

Re: WTO green lights tariffs on Airbus, Trump ready.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:11 pm

S0Y wrote:
Scorpio wrote:
Remember that this is just about the case the US started against Europe, where the WTO now rules this can happen. It doesn't mean the WTO has 'picked sides' in the subsidies row between Boeing / US and Airbus / EU. There's another case working its way through the WTO that the EU started against the US over illegal Boeing subsidies. The WTO has already ruled in favor of the EU on that case in the past, so it's perfectly possible that they will eventually give the green light to the EU to place tariffs on Boeing planes too.

.....exactly, and then both sides will sit down and agree not to apply tariffs to each other. Happens all the time in other industries where companies launch IP cases against each other, only to eventually settle once they are at stalemate.

Only real winners are the Lawyers

It will be settled without much bloodshed I imagine. Contrary to what is in the public imagination, Boeing and Airbus are not QUITE the cut throat competitors they appear. They have a nice comfortable duopoly and both like it. There is quite a bit of wink, wink/nudge, nudge between them. The only thing they truly fear is a future large aircraft competitor.

extender

US Could Be Granted $8B In Tariffs Of EU Goods

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:47 pm

US could be granted $8B tariffs on EU goods in Airbus-Boeing row

Arbitrators from the Dispute Settlement Body (DSB) of the global trade watchdog held a meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, on September 30, 2019, to consider measures affecting the dispute over trade of large civil aircraft. The WTO decision concerns the case filed by the United States against the EU and certain EU member States addressing the alleged EU subsidies on large civil aircraft. It is expected the WTO will back the U.S. complaint, granting it the right to impose tariffs on billions of dollars of European goods, as several media reports suggest.

Link

It comes down to a question of subsidies. Is Boeing subsidized by the government? Is Airbus getting subsidized?

Dutchy

Re: US Could Be Granted $8B In Tariffs Of EU Goods

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:55 pm

Already discussed in the aviation section. And yes the US could impose 6bn of tariffs on EU goods and the Boeing case will be ruled in 6 months, so perhaps the EU can impose 6bn in tariffs as well.

So Airbus has been subsidized by giving loans and Boeing is subsidized in many ways: military and tax breaks. Both sides should stop this, but we all know they won't.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Spar

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:56 pm

Boeing is definitely subsidized. Just look at the F-15EX buy; that's nothing but a gift to Boeing. That plane is unneeded, its role could be fulfilled easily by upgrading the current fleet of F-15s.

It seems like everytime I look into aviation news I see another sweetheart contract being given to Boeing.

Palop

Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:02 pm

Per Leeham, EU has already $2.2 Billion in already WTO approved tariffs lined up and ready for immediate retaliation should the US impose their tariffs. That’s in addition to the next batch in the pipeline which will be approved in ~6 months time. This could get ugly.

seahawk

Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:10 pm

I am waiting for Trump to act and impose tariffs on cars, planes and other EU products. It is time to fight for the America worker.

Kiwirob

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:19 pm

seahawk wrote:
I am waiting for Trump to act and impose tariffs on cars, planes and other EU products. It is time to fight for the America worker.

The problem with cars is the US doesn’t built cars which many people in countries outside North America want to own, unlike the EU which builds far more desirable vehicles, and then there’s the fact that a lot of Europe’s cars are built in US factories, so who would be punished here?

SQ22

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:22 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Already discussed in the aviation section. And yes the US could impose 6bn of tariffs on EU goods and the Boeing case will be ruled in 6 months, so perhaps the EU can impose 6bn in tariffs as well.

So Airbus has been subsidized by giving loans and Boeing is subsidized in many ways: military and tax breaks. Both sides should stop this, but we all know they won't.

Both threads have been merged and thread will remain in Non-Aviation Forum.

Dutchy

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:38 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
seahawk wrote:

The problem with cars is the US doesn’t built cars which many people in countries outside North America want to own, unlike the EU which builds far more desirable vehicles, and then there’s the fact that a lot of Europe’s cars are built in US factories, so who would be punished here?

Uhmmm, BMW's biggest plant is in the United States: Spartanburg

You see, in international business everything is interconnected, that makes it so hard.

I wouldn't even be suprised if the US exports more "foreign" vehicle than it imports. But that is just a guess.

WIederling

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:58 pm

scope of hurt has expanded. 737MAX is toast.
The US will look for ways to make this expensive to anybody abroad.
Murphy is an optimist

TWA772LR

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:39 pm

SteelChair wrote:
Aesma wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
Pretty much every country imposes tariffs. The US is amongst the lowest, even now. Facts, not BS...

U.S. tariffs are among the lowest in the world – and in the nation’s history
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... s-history/

The US has been promoting free trade, with the goal the disappearance of tariffs, since WW2, so there is no surprise there ! Somehow the US has been the richest country on the planet throughout that period, it seems to me it was working pretty well.

Last I checked, the US was hundreds of billions (trillions?) in debt. Rich?

China is rich.

And when China calls that debt for an amount that the US doesnt have, they will either go to war with us (which, no, they won't), or sink their own economy in the process. The vast majority of Chinas exports are to the US, and when the next recession hits (just like the last one), the US consumer will buy a whole lot less than they do now, and China will suffer as a result as they did before.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

SanDiegoLover

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:28 am

seahawk wrote:

Trump’s trade war has this month’s manufacturing index down the most ever since the Great Recession. Hoover’ism all over again.

WIederling

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:25 am

Aesma wrote:

The US has been promoting free trade, with the goal the disappearance of tariffs, since WW2, so there is no surprise there ! Somehow the US has been the richest country on the planet throughout that period, it seems to me it was working pretty well.

Because it made sense to have access to all markets for high value merchandise
while all the smaller markets had only base materials for sale or
in the high value domain suffered scaling issues and thus from higher cost.
Add in leveraging introduced via the Marshall Plan to advantage US produce
in Europe.

But all the small nations adapted much better/faster than the US and
outperformed the US.
You see the same process in the drive for "Open Skies" free access to other nations.
Though mutual the expectation was that US airlines would dominate.
But that too was suffocated in arrogance.
reminds me:
Atari had about half its market in Europe ( ST, MEGA-ST .. times ).
But they never could be bothered to listen to their customers there.
That contributed strongly to their downfall. ( another aspect was "737" like:
having once developed a rather good set of ASICs they had lost the capability
of improving on those and layered less integrated circuits around the ASICs
to add new features instead of integrating those in the ASICs. )
Murphy is an optimist

WIederling

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:36 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
China is rich.

And when China calls that debt for an amount that the US doesnt have, they will either go to war with us (which, no, they won't), or sink their own economy in the process.

China is ( and has been ) rather busy distributing those papers and converting them into tangible value assets.
not only for Silk Road and stuff.
Murphy is an optimist

Kiwirob

Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Uhmmm, BMW's biggest plant is in the United States: Spartanburg

You see, in international business everything is interconnected, that makes it so hard.

I wouldn't even be suprised if the US exports more "foreign" vehicle than it imports. But that is just a guess.

That’s what I said a lot of Europe’s car manufacturers have plants in the US, the difference is none of the American domestic producers make exportable vehicle which people outside the North American market have any interest in.

Kiwirob

Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:06 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Last I checked, the US was hundreds of billions (trillions?) in debt. Rich?

China is rich.

And when China calls that debt for an amount that the US doesnt have, they will either go to war with us (which, no, they won't), or sink their own economy in the process. The vast majority of Chinas exports are to the US, and when the next recession hits (just like the last one), the US consumer will buy a whole lot less than they do now, and China will suffer as a result as they did before.

What I find quite interesting is all the 15,000 teu plus container ships run between China and the EU, not China and the US.

par13del

Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
What I find quite interesting is all the 15,000 teu plus container ships run between China and the EU, not China and the US.

So is this a volume versus frequency issue, like no US Airline has A380's but a number in Europe do?

Kiwirob

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:05 pm

The global fleet of this size is around 120 ships, Mærsk operate 31 of them and there are another 53 under construction, none of them visit the US.

kipfilet

US to impose tariffs on EU goods, including Airbus aircraft

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:18 am

The WSJ article focuses mostly on the potential effects of taxing Airbus aircraft. Can be relevant for Airbus-centric airlines such as DL
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-can-le ... _lead_pos1

TheLion

Re: US to impose tariffs on EU goods, including Airbus aircraft

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:14 am

Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. But totally trump.

Such policies will only harm the US ultimately, with customers and staff the ones who will be most affected by higher airfares and flight planning issues that occur while airlines grapple with cost and structural problems created by these policies.

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:41 am

Kiwirob wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:
In 2011, no American port could handle ships of the PS-class Emma Mærsk and the future Maersk Triple E class size, the latter of which needs cranes reaching 23 rows.

Wikipedia wrote:
The CMA CGM vessel Benjamin Franklin (18,000 TEU) visited the ports of Los Angeles, Long Beach, Oakland and Seattle in late 2015, however, CMA CGM postponed deployment of megaships to the West Coast in May 2016, citing a lack of demand.
In regard to U.S. port infrastructure, Marc Bourdon, president of CMA CGM American operations, stated that while some ports are ready, most ports would have difficulty with such a large ship, and that ports would need to be modified before permanent large-scale implementation could commence. One such necessary modification is for the terminal cranes to be able to reach containers stacked to the full capacity of 10 high

Kiwirob wrote:
The global fleet of this size is around 120 ships, Mærsk operate 31 of them and there are another 53 under construction,

However, beyond these 120 there are another 9,500 smaller container ships of various sizes currently in operation, offering around 15 million TEU capacity in total.
I don't know what figures you have for your fleet of 120 ULCVs, but my best estimate is that they represent around 2 million TEU in total, or 13% of the worldwide total.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

MIflyer12

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:08 am

Do you really think a 10% tariff on not-made-in-Alabama Airbus aircraft is going to have a meaningful impact? Look at U.S. carrier income statements and where the money goes.

While Airbus aircraft built in Europe will be hit with a tariff of 10% after the World Trade Organization allowed Washington to impose sanctions on EU goods, semi-finished fuselages and wings are exempted, an official list showed.

That means large parts shipped to the deep-sea Alabama port of Mobile from plants in Europe will not be hit by the duties, allowing Airbus to continue to supply U.S.-based airlines with a limited number of locally assembled aircraft.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-wto- ... WI04K?il=0

Etheereal

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:31 am

TheLion wrote:
Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. But totally trump.

Such policies will only harm the US ultimately, with customers and staff the ones who will be most affected by higher airfares and flight planning issues that occur while airlines grapple with cost and structural problems created by these policies.

Not HIS fault that nobody bothered before to enforce the rules and agreements.
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

Aesma

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:40 am

kipfilet wrote:
The WSJ article focuses mostly on the potential effects of taxing Airbus aircraft. Can be relevant for Airbus-centric airlines such as DL

I don't think I've heard suggestions Airbus aircraft would be taxed ? That would open a can of worms, as the obvious answer would be taxes on Boeing aircraft.

edit : my bad I missed the news. This is going to get very ugly.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

WIederling

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:05 am

Kiwirob wrote:

IMU:
Europe has 3..4 central large drop places that also transfer a significant percentage to smaller feeder transports.
More smaller destinations in the US. PANAMAX limits,
ships undersized for the Asia <-> EU route are moved over to US routes.
A final guess: Europe has more freight destined for Asia than the US ?

https://www.itf-oecd.org/sites/default/ ... -ships.pdf
nice graphic on p34

addendum:
https://www.bts.gov/sites/bts.dot.gov/f ... rt2018.pdf
page 3-21
Murphy is an optimist

bgm

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:12 am

Aesma wrote:
kipfilet wrote:

I don't think I've heard suggestions Airbus aircraft would be taxed ? That would open a can of worms, as the obvious answer would be taxes on Boeing aircraft.

edit : my bad I missed the news. This is going to get very ugly.

If the EU retaliates and taxes a grounded 737 MAX, that may tip many European carriers to cancel their already precarious orders.

Hopefully this won't be implemented, since it would hurt both sides and nobody will benefit.
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

olle

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:35 pm

Wto has defined that Boeing also breaks wto rules. So soon we will see what EU will be able to do against usa / Boeing.

To be continued....

kipfilet

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:00 pm

Yes, exactly, Airbus and Boeing have been playing this tug of war for years, and authorities so far refused to concede to a particular side for fear of escalation/unraveling. If the US govt follows through with the threat of tariffs on Airbus airplanes, this will pave the way for Europe (and perhaps other jurisdictions) to retaliate by taxing Boeing. Given recent events, Boeing is way more fragile than Airbus at the moment and stands to lose much more from this.

WIederling

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:08 pm

olle wrote:
Wto has defined that Boeing also breaks wto rules. So soon we will see what EU will be able to do against usa / Boeing.

To be continued....

sleeping at the job?

http://trade.ec.europa.eu wrote:
The ruling concludes definitively that the US has continued to subsidise the company illegally despite previous rulings condemning this behaviour. This has caused significant harm to its European competitor Airbus.

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/press/ ... fm?id=1999

Is this the proper finding ( site is a hairball.) ?
https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/di ... 3sum_e.pdf
Murphy is an optimist

Dutchy

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:17 am

kipfilet wrote:
Yes, exactly, Airbus and Boeing have been playing this tug of war for years, and authorities so far refused to concede to a particular side for fear of escalation/unraveling. If the US govt follows through with the threat of tariffs on Airbus airplanes, this will pave the way for Europe (and perhaps other jurisdictions) to retaliate by taxing Boeing. Given recent events, Boeing is way more fragile than Airbus at the moment and stands to lose much more from this.

:checkmark: unfortunatelly there is someone one in charge who doesn't persue the art of diplomacy to the fullest.

tommy1808

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:47 am

olle wrote:

To be continued....

The EU as of yet didn't implement any tariffs of the US illegal export subsidies, they dont have to wait for any WTO decision to retaliate, and can just announce that on the same day.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Gulfstream500

Re: Updated: US to Impose Tariffs on EU Goods After WTO’s Airbus Ruling

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:37 am

Well, I don’t think anyone will be ordering the MAX to replace the A320NEO, but orders will surely be cut down:

A320NEO, post tariff pricing: 121.66 million (at MSRP)
737MAX8: 121.6 million (at MSRP).

(Both based on Wikipedia pricing)

Anyone noticing what happened there?
:wave:
Thinking of a good signature is hard...

dmorbust

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:04 am

Does anyone have insight if Airbus will help US customers like Delta and United foot the extra bill, or are the US airlines stuck paying a full extra 10%?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-wto- ... SKBN1WJ1YS

astuteman

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:27 am

dmorbust wrote:
Does anyone have insight if Airbus will help US customers like Delta and United foot the extra bill, or are the US airlines stuck paying a full extra 10%?

If you read the article (properly linked below)

it states that the tariff exempts planes sourced from Mobile, Alabama

Delta spokeswoman Lisa Hanna called on the Trump administration and EU to resolve the 15-year trade dispute “in a manner that respects existing contractual rights.” Still, it welcomed Washington’s decision to exempt aircraft production and deliveries from Airbus’ plant in Mobile, Alabama.

So most of the narrowbodys to the US should be ok.

Not so good when the reciprocal tariff on Boeing comes in from the EU (which it inevitably will) - no Boeing FAL's in Europe :shakehead:

Rgds

astuteman

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:41 am

BBC article from 2nd Oct

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49906815

This next article is a lot older, but illustrates the stakes involved …

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47962454

This could indeed get ugly.

Yet another no win situation created by myopic idiots

Rgds

olle

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:01 am

This game that USA runs the last few years has been in great favor of Airbus;

USA tariff against Bombarier -> Suddenly C-Series is now Airbus A200 series.

USA tariff against Airbus; Does not effect Mobile production for NB A320s.

Eu sanctions against USA that EU has avoided will mean that 737 max will get more expensive in EU27 on the other hand.

This together with USA tariff against China etc, More popcorn to the people!!!

Dutchy

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:46 am

olle wrote:
This game that USA runs the last few years has been in great favor of Airbus;

USA tariff against Bombarier -> Suddenly C-Series is now Airbus A200 series.

USA tariff against Airbus; Does not effect Mobile production for NB A320s.

Eu sanctions against USA that EU has avoided will mean that 737 max will get more expensive in EU27 on the other hand.

This together with USA tariff against China etc, More popcorn to the people!!!

And there are two pressing questions on the EU table for Boeing.

> 737MAX back into the air, although that one should not be political, but administrative;
> Merger (takeover) between Embraer and Boeing, that is political and the EU has to decide whether they will give the ok or not.

I can imagine with the latest round of playing hardball from the US government, that dossier might end up at the bottom of the pile somehow.

Dutchy

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:52 am

dmorbust wrote:

I can't imagine that they will. 10% is a lot of money and margins aren't all that big, so they will effectively sell at a loss. Perhaps those planes will be delivered to Ireland and leased out to Delta and alike, in order to avoid the extra tax. I am sure there a people, a lot smarter than me, who can figure out a way around this.

But on the other hand, 50% of the cheese export from the Netherlands to the US will be affected. So that will teach the Dutch farmers not to give Airbus any subsidies.

SanDiegoLover

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:17 pm

Dutchy wrote:
dmorbust wrote:

I can't imagine that they will. 10% is a lot of money and margins aren't all that big, so they will effectively sell at a loss. Perhaps those planes will be delivered to Ireland and leased out to Delta and alike, in order to avoid the extra tax. I am sure there a people, a lot smarter than me, who can figure out a way around this.

But on the other hand, 50% of the cheese export from the Netherlands to the US will be affected. So that will teach the Dutch farmers not to give Airbus any subsidies.

My guess is Delta and other US airlines that have A350s and A330s coming will set up some sort of foreign ownership agreement to avoid the 10% tariff. What will bevery hard to get around is the 10% tariff on E.U. sourced new aircraft parts for repairs be they for Airbus, Boeing, Embraer, or Bombardier. The tariff is not just on assembled aircraft.

washingtonflyer

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:44 pm

Sorry, doesn't work that way. Aircraft destined for operation in the US by US airlines must be registered as US aircraft - Nxxxxx. Upon first entry into the USA, duties are owed by the flying carrier (or the registered agent of the aircraft).

Ownership is largely irrelevant.

scbriml

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:53 pm

SanDiegoLover wrote:
My guess is Delta and other US airlines that have A350s and A330s coming will set up some sort of foreign ownership agreement to avoid the 10% tariff.

When we were discussing Boeing's attempts to have tariffs levied on BBD C-Series, we were assured that such an arrangement would still be subject to tariffs and that there was no easy way around it (this was prior to Airbus ownership and frames being built in Mobile.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

drew777

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:27 pm

I hope on future profit sharing reports they fully explain how much each employee lost to this nonsense.