727LOVER
Topic Author

Cop walks into wrong apartment and kills neighbor-----the verdict

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:55 pm

Original thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1403399&hilit=amber+guyger

Jury has spoken.....

G U I L T Y

Oriiginally, she said she was tired/exhausted...but it came out that she was sexting with her boyfriend...from what I've heard

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/amber- ... index.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/am ... m-n1060506
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

casinterest

Re: Cop walks into wrong apartment and kills neighbor-----the verdict

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:19 pm

She didn't recognize the floor she parked on,
She didn't recognize her own apartment

We are supposed to believe she could recognize a threat?
Where ever you go, there you are.

Tugger

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:30 pm

I firmly believe that it was not intentional or anything like that. Just a tragic error that has ended two lives. She wasn't thinking or looking really and you can't do that while armed. You just can't.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

BN747

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:31 pm

Almost anyone agrees after the most obvious know facts are reviewed...

In the released police video of their arrival showing 'just how could anyone' make that kind of mistake. The jurors saw this but I've seen no mentions in media coverage.

Why were the 'explicit sexts' msgs (deleted on the scene by Guyger also her cop bf deleted his) were never recovered and introduced in the trial since Guyger herself made that a part of her defense. **my guess, they were recovered and were more incriminating than embarrassement..therefore left out.

In the cop-cam, you see them approaching the victim's apart...there's a neon bright red doormat at the entrance.
The hallway is lit up like a stadium scoreboard.

No matter how tired you are you dragging your gear can not miss the red doormat as you approach the door and because of the excessive lighting...you know full well this is not your place, not even close.

Secondly neighbors reportedly heard banging on the door and her (Guyger) screaming did any testify? Did the prosecution decline to take their statements?
If she's heard banging on the door, then how does her 'the door was slightly ajar' excuse hold up?

Third, the apt doors in that building are like those in hotels where it completely shuts and locks on it's own. And your key triggers an indicating 'light' red if wrong key and green if the correct key.

This was a premeditated murder after all the facts are laid out and no stone unturned.

Her earlier complaints of his loud music could be revealing in her motives for executing this man.

The text msgs tell everything and should be made public given they were used by her defense team, I mean who kills someone and immediately starts deleting text msgs...who?

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

BN747

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:36 pm

Tugger wrote:
I firmly believe that it was not intentional or anything like that. Just a tragic error that has ended two lives. She wasn't thinking or looking really and you can't do that while armed. You just can't.

Tugg

As expected from you, it's just a big misunderstanding.

No facts required.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:46 pm

Tugger wrote:

It may not have been intentional, but if we punish parent who leave babies behind in hot cars (negligence), the least we can do is apply the same standard here, except the cop had plenty of signs (including the key not working) to know that she was in the wrong apartment.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Tugger

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:09 pm

BN747 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

As expected from you, it's just a big misunderstanding.

No facts required.

BN747

As expected from you too.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Tugger

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:10 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Tugger wrote:

It may not have been intentional, but if we punish parent who leave babies behind in hot cars (negligence), the least we can do is apply the same standard here, except the cop had plenty of signs (including the key not working) to know that she was in the wrong apartment.

Absolutely! The verdict is the right verdict.

Tugg

TTailedTiger

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:35 pm

Good. Hopefully she is put in general population.

WingsFan

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:17 pm

I admit that I haven't read much about this case and my knowledge is superficial regarding facts of this event. From what I have read, my impression is that this was careless but unintentional killing of an innocent man.

Shouldn't inadvertent or even callous but unintentional killing be charged as manslaughter , not murder? Was there a premeditation proven in this case?

TTailedTiger

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:21 pm

WingsFan wrote:
I admit that I haven't read much about this case and my knowledge is superficial regarding facts of this event. From what I have read, my impression is that this was careless but unintentional killing of an innocent man.

Shouldn't inadvertent or even callous but unintentional killing be charged as manslaughter , not murder? Was there a premeditation proven in this case?

Maybe if she hadn't lied the jury would have gone for manslaughter. She claimed she delivered cpr but her uniform was spotless. The victim was covered in blood. She also claimed she yelled repeatedly for the victim to stop moving. But neighbors say they heard nothing.

casinterest

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:29 pm

WingsFan wrote:

The jury had that under consideration, but from the NBC article

The trajectory of the bullet showed that Jean was either getting up from his couch or cowering when Guyger fired at him, the prosecution said

Guyger's attorneys also downplayed that she had been sharing sexually explicit text messages with her work partner and was on the phone with him just before the shooting, which was revealed in the opening of the trial.

Prosecutors used those messages to make the case that Guyger was not as fatigued that day as the defense had claimed, and that Guyger intended to see her partner later that night.

Basically, the jury didn't believe the perpetrator could be trusted, especially since they went through the trouble of deleting texts between her and her boyfriend that had occurred before the incident. Texts that showed she wanted some interaction even though she was so tired, she didn't know what floor she was on.
Where ever you go, there you are.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:31 pm

The sentencing is going on NOW????

How unusual is THAT???

Just saw the mother of victim on stand....very heartbreaking
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Brickell305

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:44 am

Lock her up and throw away the key.

Pellegrine

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:53 am

Throw her ass under the jail. You can't shoot people because you break down the door to the wrong apartment and wrongly assume they broke into yours. Goodbye felicia.
oh boy, here we go!!!

Redd

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:48 am

Now let's see if she gets off with a light sentence because she's a woman.

DIRECTFLT

Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:03 am

Mistake or not, the jury decided she had no cause to shoot to kill. And right there, is where they counted her guilty of Murder. The jury will also decide how much time she serves, 5-99 years, no probation possible.

This CBS News Video goes into what happened.

https://youtu.be/6FdYFP9XyQE
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

BN747

Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Mistake or not, the jury decided she had no cause to shoot to kill. And right there, is where they counted her guilty of Murder. The jury will also decide how much time she serves, 5-99 years, no probation possible.

The CBS clip does an 'okay' job at telling what occurred.

They DID disclose that Guyger was carrying a First Aid kit, which I never heard before.
The reporter stated that she did administer a 'one hand' chest compression in a CPR action.

They failed to mention the bright well lit hallway, but did mention the bright red door mat.
They omitted or skipped the text msg saga.

Other than that, a decent report.

BN747

Pellegrine

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:14 am

BN747 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

They DID disclose that Guyger was carrying a First Aid kit, which I never heard before.
The reporter stated that she did administer a 'one hand' chest compression in a CPR action.

They failed to mention the bright well lit hallway, but did mention the bright red door mat.

BN747

You wouldn't pass any CPR class in the United States doing one handed chest compressions.
oh boy, here we go!!!

Pellegrine

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:18 am

She should serve at least 50 years for this. In the US you have people locked up for LIFE NO-PAROLE for non-violent drug offenses. If she gets on the lower end of the sentencing schedule there will be riots.
oh boy, here we go!!!

BN747

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:28 am

Pellegrine wrote:
BN747 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

BN747

You wouldn't pass any CPR class in the United States doing one handed chest compressions.

Actually, I think she threw that argument in for sympathy sake as a last hail mary attempt. Because someone commented that guy was bleeding out and her hands would have been a mess.

But now the that know she had a First Aid kit on her...well that pretty much said it all doesn't it. Helping anyone, even an innocent guy in his home..bleeding to death because of your actions.

And you can remember to delete the text to your bf (ummm that's because you know supervisors will want to see cellular activity- all of it)....but you CAN'T remember you happen to have a First Aid kit on you.

Hmmmmm...yeah, so saving (or trying) an innocent life was just not a high priority in such intense moment.

BN747
Last edited by BN747 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pellegrine

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:35 am

BN747 wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Actually, I think she threw that argument in for sympathy sake as a last hail mary attempt. Because someone commented that guy was bleeding out and her hands would have been a mess.

But now the that know she had a First Aid kit on her...well that pretty much said it all doesn't it. Helping anyone, even an innocent guy in his home..bleeding to death because of your actions.

And you can remember to delete the text to your bf (ummm that's because you know supervisors will want to see cellular activity- all of it)....but you CAN'T remember you happen to have a First Aid kit on you.

Hmmmmm...yeah, so saving (or trying) an innocent life was just not a high priority moment in such intense moment.

BN747

I've been through active shooter training. We were told to rip up our shirts and make tourniquets out of them, poke our fingers into gunshot wounds to stop the bleeding, basically anything we could do until paramedics arrived. This was training for civilian office workers. This woman from the police force did nothing.
oh boy, here we go!!!

BN747

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:28 am

The Amber Guyger - Martin Rivera Text messages...not certain it's everything but it's something.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/speci ... ba14b2f337

BN747

N757ST

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:09 pm

BN747 wrote:
The Amber Guyger - Martin Rivera Text messages...not certain it's everything but it's something.

BN747

Wow, at first I said yes jail, but it wasn’t pre-meditated so be a bit lenient, but it’s pretty damning that she had set herself up for this for a while. She should get the book thrown at her .

SanDiegoLover

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:07 pm

BN747 wrote:

BN747

Always love the “I’m not racist, but.....” defense. Almost as good as the “I hate everyone equally, I can’t be racist”.

einsteinboricua

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:47 pm

I read an article on how the judge attempted to interfere with the case by suggesting jurors consider the Castle Doctrine principle for the defense. Many were outraged: how exactly does the Castle Doctrine apply here? Well, according to the judge, she THOUGHT she was at her home so therefore she was justified.

The defense also attempted to claim "mistake of fact": Guyger believed she was entering her apartment and it was up to prosecution to prove "that Guyger could not have reasonably made the mistake of going to the wrong floor and opening her neighbor’s door; instead, the district attorney needed to convince a jury that Guyger intended to kill"...except she had already claimed as such (she shot to kill), so that defense was dropped and instead relied on Castle Doctrine.

I feel bad for her because mistakes happen, but saying sorry won't bring the guy back to life and she has to face the consequences.

BN747

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:01 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I read an article on how the judge attempted to interfere with the case by suggesting jurors consider the Castle Doctrine principle for the defense. Many were outraged: how exactly does the Castle Doctrine apply here? Well, according to the judge, she THOUGHT she was at her home so therefore she was justified.

The defense also attempted to claim "mistake of fact": Guyger believed she was entering her apartment and it was up to prosecution to prove "that Guyger could not have reasonably made the mistake of going to the wrong floor and opening her neighbor’s door; instead, the district attorney needed to convince a jury that Guyger intended to kill"...except she had already claimed as such (she shot to kill), so that defense was dropped and instead relied on Castle Doctrine.

I feel bad for her because mistakes happen.

An easy dismantling of facts to dismiss the Castle doctrine BS.

Prosecutors could have played the cop body cam in slow-mo...showing the cops approaching Botham Jean's apt 'showing the brightly lit hallway' by stating 'you're coming home as you near your apt...you notice a bright red doormat as you near 'your' door.

"What do you do when you see a doormat that is not yours at your door?
"You live alone..and you didn't do it. Do you look at the apt door marking..to make sure you are at your apartment."

nearly 99% of people (100% of cops & ex-cops) would pause at that point and take in what is before them before making a decision.
"As you put your key into the door lock..an notice the door is ajar, what would you do? Go inside? Call a neighbor to help? Call for police back up?"

....options.

Just put yourself in that situation. What would you do?

BN747

falstaff

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:30 pm

727LOVER wrote:
The sentencing is going on NOW????

How unusual is THAT???

That is normal. The verdict is read and sentencing is carried out during another court session.

Pellegrine wrote:
You can't shoot people because you break down the door to the wrong apartment and wrongly assume they broke into yours. Goodbye felicia.

She didn't break down the door. It was already open.

Pellegrine wrote:
In the US you have people locked up for LIFE NO-PAROLE for non-violent drug offenses.

For the most part that only happens to multiple time felons. You don't get life for any first time non violent drug offense.

BN747 wrote:

I live alone. If I came home and found my door ajar I would suspect something is going on or has gone on. I would call the police right away. I wouldn't want to disturb any evidence left behind. I would also be wondering why my alarm wasn't going off and why the police weren't already there. If I was a police officer I may think differently.

From what I've read about the case it sounds like the jury made the right decision. She had lots of opportunity to know where she was. As a police officer I would expect her to be more observant than the average person. A lot of policing involves observation and judgement; which she clearly lacked in this situation. It wasn't premeditated so it wouldn't be 1st degree murder, at least where I live, but it would be 2nd degree.

As far as race goes who really knows, but herself. I wouldn't be surprised if she would have shot anyone who she thought was a threat. Cops shoot white folks too, but it's not as publicized. A few years ago, in the town I work in, local police shot and killed a white teen under questionable circumstances. It didn't even make the local Detroit TV news or newspaper. I only knew about it because the kid was in my class and I interacted with him earlier in the day. If it had been a black teen it would have been well publicized.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

johns624

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:40 pm

Disregarding the red doormat, when she walked into the apartment, she didn't realize the furniture was different and not in the same place as hers?

extender

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:40 pm

Throw the book at her. Be done with it. She screwed the pooch and someone lost their life.

dfwjim1

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Once she goes to prison will she be isolated from the general population?

BN747

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:18 pm

falstaff wrote:
BN747 wrote:

I live alone. If I came home and found my door ajar I would suspect something is going on or has gone on. I would call the police right away. I wouldn't want to disturb any evidence left behind. I would also be wondering why my alarm wasn't going off and why the police weren't already there. If I was a police officer I may think differently.

From what I've read about the case it sounds like the jury made the right decision. She had lots of opportunity to know where she was. .

"She had lots of opportunity to know where she was." exactly right...too many opportunities, which lends doubt to her version of events.

BN747

ltbewr

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:58 pm

No doubt she will appeal her conviction in full or to at least to reduce the charge to Manslaughter and much less time in jail. And with 'justice' in Texas, it is possible that the appeal will be successful.

Brickell305

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:48 pm

ltbewr wrote:
No doubt she will appeal her conviction in full or to at least to reduce the charge to Manslaughter and much less time in jail. And with 'justice' in Texas, it is possible that the appeal will be successful.

There has to be some grounds for said appeal. It can't simply be "I didn't like my verdict, I want a re-do". There must be some material matter (evidence, case law, etc.) that the jury did not or was not allowed to review. In this instance, the fact that the judge allowed them to consider the Castle Doctrine and the lesser charge of manslaughter works very much against the criminal. The jury reviewed all relevant evidence, case law and alternative sentences and decided on murder nevertheless. Good luck appealing that one.

einsteinboricua

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:14 pm

She got sentenced for 10 years. Odds are she'll serve 2 at most before being released.

One has to wonder: had the situation been the other way (the black guy shooting the White cop as she entered HIS apartment), would he get only 10 years or would he be given the death penalty?

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:21 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
She got sentenced for 10 years. Odds are she'll serve 2 at most before being released.

One has to wonder: had the situation been the other way (the black guy shooting the White cop as she entered HIS apartment), would he get only 10 years or would he be given the death penalty?

Am I the only one that thinks that's not enough?
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/jury-deciding ... on-brknews

einsteinboricua

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:34 pm

727LOVER wrote:

Hence why I asked the question...she's getting off too easy and, as I suspect, she'll serve a fraction of the sentence.

Not advocating for the death penalty because, despite the revealed texts depicting her making racist remarks, I don't think he was a target (she didn't actually seek out this guy to kill him). But 10 years when other, less violent crimes get triple?

DIRECTFLT

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:35 pm

The aftermath of the trial. The Impact Statement by Botham Jean's younger brother, 18 year old Brandt Jean, and what unprecedented thing happened in the courtroom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJH4adVazl4
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

BN747

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:37 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Hence why I asked the question...she's getting off too easy and, as I suspect, she'll serve a fraction of the sentence.

Not advocating for the death penalty because, despite the revealed texts depicting her making racist remarks, I don't think he was a target (she didn't actually seek out this guy to kill him). But 10 years when other, less violent crimes get triple?

727LOVER, no you're not alone, many suspected this outcome, a light sentence was the most likely result.

einsteinboricua, you did foretell this out come.

But you're off a little on the backstory, the did have history, she's on record complaining his music was too loud...
...reminds of the white FL guy who killed the teen for loud music...wonder if she knew about that case.

My opinion, she, like Zimmerman/Trayvon, I wonder how deep does the back story go, that we are never told about.

BN747

BN747

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:02 am

Attorney reveals potential link between a Dallas cop and the innocent man she gunned down in his own apartment

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/attorn ... apartment/

..then there's the back story of conflict between the cop and the victim.

Guyger knew what she was doing.

BN747

Airstud

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:15 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

CBS News says she'll be eligible for parole in 5 years.
Pancakes are delicious.

BN747

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:24 am

Actually the missing question is this ...regarding the witnesses.

The witnesses who did step forward, deserve kudos because, ask yourself in that same scenario and you must be an apartment resident to 'get it'...

Had this happened in your apartment building, and that evening with the cops start taking witness' statements..

..how many of you would sign up to be a witness against your cop neighbor - on the wrong end of a shooting.

I say right now...NOT Me! Not a chance with cops behaving as they are today...and go up against one - not smart.

BN747

DIRECTFLT

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:04 am

Airstud wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

CBS News says she'll be eligible for parole in 5 years.

Which will be just in time for her to attend either a PENCE 2024 Rally, or, as the Dems are now hoping for, it would be a PENCE 2024 Re-Election Rally. ;)

seb146

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:14 am

She is supposed to be responsible with and for her weapons. She is supposed to notice things like "this is not my door mat" instead of being distracted.

It is also interesting that people get the same sentence for a dime bag or a couple of joints in some states.

The woman who didn't know if she was eligible to vote but was given a provisional ballot will be out of prison when this woman will be paroled. Guess who will be able to vote?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

BN747

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:07 am

Extraordinary act of mercy: Brother of Botham Jean hugs and forgives Amber Guyger after 10-year sentence imposed
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/jury-deciding ... ories.html

The younger brother extends a hug of forgiveness...to Guyger. :eyepopping:

I wonder if he's seen her MLK day parade text? Makes you wonder, would her family have extended such an act had she been killed by Bothem Jean when she entered his apt.

Doubtful...

BN747

airtechy

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:07 am

Well, it sure took a lot of guts, courage, or whatever you want to call it for his 18 year old brother to get on the stand with his family present and do what he did. Respect from me and I'll bet he sleeps better than anyone else in that courtroom tonight. I certainly couldn't have done that.

Airstud

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:50 am

airtechy wrote:
Well, it sure took a lot of guts, courage, or whatever you want to call it for his 18 year old brother to get on the stand with his family present and do what he did. Respect from me and I'll bet he sleeps better than anyone else in that courtroom tonight. I certainly couldn't have done that.

This is the only occasion in a.net history on which you will see me agree with BN747 about anything. Her racist texts messages are disgusting, even without her having - you know - killed a guy.
Pancakes are delicious.

Kiwirob

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:59 am

Tugger wrote:

Tugg

It ended one life, her life is inconsequential, she's a murderer, she doesn't deserve any sympathy.

bennett123

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:08 am

How do people conclude that this was not pre meditated?.

Redd

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:21 am

Redd wrote:
Now let's see if she gets off with a light sentence because she's a woman.

I'd like to quote myself here just to underline the huge sentencing disparity between men and women for the same crime. 10 years, will probably serve less than 5. It's an insult to the family of the murdered man and to justice itself.

So if you have a vagina, go ahead and murder someone. You'll get off with a slap on the wrist. Pathetic, completely pathetic.