Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Central Park Tower Topped Out

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:55 am

Here is a link to an article about the topping out of the Central Park Tower in New York City on 57th Street near Central Park last week. The roof height is actually taller than the roof of the Freedom Tower at the World Trade Center.
https://www.architecturaldigest.com/sto ... l-building

xjordix

Re: Central Park Tower Topped Out

Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:42 pm

It's thankfully more aesthetic than 432 Park Avenue.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:26 am

xjordix wrote:
It's thankfully more aesthetic than 432 Park Avenue.

432 Park Avenue was the first skinny condo tower built in New York City. Central Park Tower is not as nice as One Vanderbilt or 30 Hudson Yards though.

ltbewr

Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:55 am

I don't like any of the new 'skinny' towers in NYC. They hurt the classic skyline of the city, they are only for the richest while millions of NYC residents can barely afford their rent.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:08 am

Central Park Tower is taller than the official height of the Sears Tower in Chicago and is a residential condo tower.

Braybuddy

Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:53 am

There's something elegant about these new, slimmer towers. I presume the lighted floors are empty to allow for wind passing through?

SmithAir747

Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:13 pm

I actually like 432 Park Avenue's design, for its minimalism and symmetry.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:17 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
There's something elegant about these new, slimmer towers. I presume the lighted floors are empty to allow for wind passing through?

Why are the new condo towers so skinny. I also heard that they are degrading the quality of life in New York City.

TSS

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:01 am

Braybuddy wrote:

Possibly, but more likely "mechanical" floors that house water tanks and pumps, elevator drive hardware, and any other support systems needed plus a place to transfer elevators from "Express" to floor-by-floor for the upper floors
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Pyrex

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:20 pm

I see most out through buildings mentioned in this thread from my office window. Of all the mega-towers being built around this area, the only one that truly stands out is the one being built on top of MoMA, 53 W53 street.

That said, none of these buildings make any sense to me - if you really want to spend tens of millions of dollars on a place to live in NYC, there are so many better options than some skyscraper in Midtown, surrounded by traffic, tourists and noise and no outdoor space - you can get a really nice townhome in the Upper East Side or West Village, a penthouse with a huge terrace overlooking Central Park on the UES, a trendy loft in Tribeca, Chelsea or SoHo, etc. It is not like there is a lack of premium residential real estate opportunities in the city, in much quieter residential areas, with outdoor space. These new towers seem to mainly serve the absentee oligarch market, which is suffering, and a friend of mine working in real estate development in NYC thinks they will suffer massively. Plus, the skinny towers really hurt the layout on the top floors.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

falstaff

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:57 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
I also heard that they are degrading the quality of life in New York City.

How would a building degrade the quality of life for anyone?
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Pyrex wrote:
I see most out through buildings mentioned in this thread from my office window. Of all the mega-towers being built around this area, the only one that truly stands out is the one being built on top of MoMA, 53 W53 street.

That said, none of these buildings make any sense to me - if you really want to spend tens of millions of dollars on a place to live in NYC, there are so many better options than some skyscraper in Midtown, surrounded by traffic, tourists and noise and no outdoor space - you can get a really nice townhome in the Upper East Side or West Village, a penthouse with a huge terrace overlooking Central Park on the UES, a trendy loft in Tribeca, Chelsea or SoHo, etc. It is not like there is a lack of premium residential real estate opportunities in the city, in much quieter residential areas, with outdoor space. These new towers seem to mainly serve the absentee oligarch market, which is suffering, and a friend of mine working in real estate development in NYC thinks they will suffer massively. Plus, the skinny towers really hurt the layout on the top floors.

What is the design of the Central Park Tower like.

Pyrex

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Pretty unremarkable, actually. At least the Steinway Tower also being built nearby is somewhat interesting, but my understanding is that the design elements that make that one interesting (the vertical strips on the side), and which they needed to have since it was built on top of a historic building, actually rob a lot of light / visibility and are hurting the prices they have been able to get on the sales.

The MoMA tower is still the most interesting of the three, although if I had the money none of those three would be my choice. Can't justify spending that amount of money in a city as hectic as NY and not get any type of outdoor space. Plus, having to deal with all the tourists looking for Burger Joint when I stepped out of my apartment.

What I can't wait to finish is One Vanderbilt, though, as my new office will be in there, and we really need the space...
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:40 am

Pyrex wrote:
Pretty unremarkable, actually. At least the Steinway Tower also being built nearby is somewhat interesting, but my understanding is that the design elements that make that one interesting (the vertical strips on the side), and which they needed to have since it was built on top of a historic building, actually rob a lot of light / visibility and are hurting the prices they have been able to get on the sales.

The MoMA tower is still the most interesting of the three, although if I had the money none of those three would be my choice. Can't justify spending that amount of money in a city as hectic as NY and not get any type of outdoor space. Plus, having to deal with all the tourists looking for Burger Joint when I stepped out of my apartment.

What I can't wait to finish is One Vanderbilt, though, as my new office will be in there, and we really need the space...

One Vanderbilt will have an observation deck for the public to look out over the skyline and surrounding area, something that Central Park Tower will not have as far as I know.