Airstud
Topic Author

Leaving iPhone - what happens to my iCloud account?

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:20 am

See, I shall apply for new phone service from Verizon later today (have had an iPhone 6s+ with Sprint for the past three years, bought out the lease, the phone is dying, and I hate iPhone compared to Android).

Am I paying for this iCloud account (through Sprint) every month? Or what? Do I lose access to the content when I quit my current plan?

(iPhone schmiPhone, see)
Pancakes are delicious.

bgm

Re: Leaving iPhone - what happens to my iCloud account?

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:27 am

Why don't you ask Sprint?
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

BlueberryWheats

Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:44 am

I use Microsoft OneDrive on my Android. Could you possibly migrate over? Or do you have too much stuff?

(OneDrive is free, too)

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:03 am

bgm wrote:
Why don't you ask Sprint?

Because it's 3 a.m. o'clock the hell in the morning. Sprint isn't open yet. Furthermore, I know a.net is often chock full o' knowledgeable folks.
Pancakes are delicious.

einsteinboricua

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Your iCloud account is free up to 5GBs and then you pay directly with Apple for additional storage. If Verizon included additional iCloud storage as part of its package (doubt they would), then your account would be dormant (unless you continue to pay) and you'd have to reduce your storage items to not exceed 5GBs or risk losing stuff.

I think what you're referring to is Verizon Cloud which is Verizon's own cloud service and that IS charged by Verizon and should transfer over with your new phone.

On a curious note: why are you switching to Android and which phone do you plan to get? I have the 6S and am torn between iPhone XR or 11.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:28 am

You can access your iCloud account at icloud.com so you can transfer all your stuff to your computer as backup.

einsteinboricua wrote:
On a curious note: why are you switching to Android and which phone do you plan to get? I have the 6S and am torn between iPhone XR or 11.

It's a no-brainer to be honest, take the iPhone 11.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?i ... hone2=9320
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Aesma

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:30 pm

He said he hated the iphone.

Does Apple keep your data forever ? For themselves I mean, not you.

I'm against cloud unless there is no alternative. Just ordered a phone with 128GB onboard, and a 512GB card.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

dtw2hyd

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:42 pm

iCloud up to 5GB capacity is a free account. You can continue to use the iCloud account even without owning an Apple product. If you haven't enabled two-factor authentication on your iPhone, all you need is access to the e-mail used with iCloud to reset password ... If you enabled two-factor authentication, disable before you switch to Andriod.

In any case, Andriod gives an option to migrate data from iCloud, you should do it quickly.

tommy1808

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:13 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

Apple is the last western company still making Smartphones in the PRC, that is reason enough....

Plus you get no value for your money anymore. IPhones used to have hard advantages, the Camera used to be the best in the market by quite a margin for example, but that has gone *puff*.... either Apple users are really happy with their old phones, of Apple is losing millions of customers every month, and has been for a while....

But i digress ...

Airstud wrote:
Do I lose access to the content when I quit my current plan?

Can´t you just migrate your files? https://www.androidcentral.com/how-tran ... ogle-drive

I know that US providers are the most cartel like bunch on the planet when it comes to mobile phone providers, but i would be surprised if they held you data hostage.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

FatCat

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:44 pm

when I bought the galaxy 6 edge, smart switch asked me if I wanted to upload the backups from icloud, google drive, or others. I choose icloud, and everything was uploaded nicely on my new phone, numbers, photos and so on.
now (with the galaxy 10) I use both onedrive (1tb storage, that's because I have ms office at home) and drive / google photos. also the phone uploads the entire backup to the samsung cloud backup service. I had received a mail from icloud, telling me that my account will be deleted due to more than x years (do not reme) of unuse, but looked like scam and deleted it.
be aware that google photos does resize your photos if you choose the standard backup mode (unlimited storage). if you want to have them in full resolution, either you choose to pay, or you have limited space available (IIRC, 15GB).
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

cranberrysaus

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:46 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Apple is the last western company still making Smartphones in the PRC, that is reason enough....

What other western companies are even making smartphones in the first place?

einsteinboricua

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:53 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Plus you get no value for your money anymore. IPhones used to have hard advantages, the Camera used to be the best in the market by quite a margin for example, but that has gone *puff*.... either Apple users are really happy with their old phones, of Apple is losing millions of customers every month, and has been for a while....

I think that because iPhones haven't been too different year over year, people don't have to upgrade to the latest and greatest and that contributes to lower sales. I got my 6S in 2016 after my Samsung S4 began crapping out on me (one day it completely failed to pick up any reception). At the time, the iPhone 6 technology was already a year in and the SE had just started selling. But aside from being a larger phone, it didn't really offer much of anything from the 4S (I had the 4 so I never got Siri).

tommy1808

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:59 pm

cranberrysaus wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

What other western companies are even making smartphones in the first place?

I am using "western" in broad value, oriented sense, not the classical Europe-centric geographic one.

Source: xkcd.com

einsteinboricua wrote:
I think that because iPhones haven't been too different year over year, people don't have to upgrade to the latest and greatest and that contributes to lower sales. I got my 6S in 2016 after my Samsung S4 began crapping out on me (one day it completely failed to pick up any reception). At the time, the iPhone 6 technology was already a year in and the SE had just started selling. But aside from being a larger phone, it didn't really offer much of anything from the 4S (I had the 4 so I never got Siri).

May very well be, the iPhone users around me hold on to theirs until they fail or Apple makes the new iOS to resource intensive to keep them.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Airstud
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:39 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Your iCloud account is free up to 5GBs and then you pay directly with Apple for additional storage. If Verizon included additional iCloud storage as part of its package (doubt they would), then your account would be dormant (unless you continue to pay) and you'd have to reduce your storage items to not exceed 5GBs or risk losing stuff.

I think what you're referring to is Verizon Cloud which is Verizon's own cloud service and that IS charged by Verizon and should transfer over with your new phone.

Which, is what I said basically.

I had an HTC Uno for three years; my first smartphone, so of course I loved it. Then I tried iPhone and have been looking back constantly. iPhone's auto-"correct" is a lexical acid trip, iPhone doesn't let me download system updates over cellular like Android does, iPhone b|tches at me about the # of days since back up to iCloud, which it AGAIN requires that I do over WiFi, iPhone doesn't allow me to expand storage capacity like Samsung will via a simple SD card, iPhone doesn't let me edit text in mid-word, instead selecting the entire word, often a large one, and requiring me to eliminate it in the event of a keystroke, and iPhone doesn't let me install my own apps unless Their Eminences at the App Store see fit to bless them first.

Those are the first not-liking-the-iPhone reasons on my list.

(What phone do I plan to get? Samsung Galaxy S10 plus. Been eyeing it for awhile and this week Target is offering a $200 gift card with activation. It's "for well-qualified guests" so pray I get approved!! :smile: )
Pancakes are delicious.

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Airstud wrote:
iPhone's auto-"correct" is a lexical acid trip

That can be disabled. I can't remember the last time auto-correct showed up on my screen.

Airstud wrote:
iPhone doesn't let me download system updates over cellular like Android does

Why would you want to? Wifi will always be a faster, effective way (assuming you're close to a router). If you insist, you don't need Wifi. IPhones have the means to download the software update through network but it'll take longer, depending on your data plan and location. Alternatively, you can use iTunes.

Airstud wrote:
iPhone b|tches at me about the # of days since back up to iCloud, which it AGAIN requires that I do over WiFi,

1. The notifications can be turned off.
2. See above for functions that don't require Wifi, including using iTunes.

Airstud wrote:
iPhone doesn't allow me to expand storage capacity like Samsung will via a simple SD card

Fewer phones are allowing this capability. One of the reasons I switched from the Samsung S4 to iPhone 6S was the lack of SD card slot on the S6. My work phone is a Galaxy S8 and I cannot add an SD card or remove the battery. Don't know if manufacturers are bringing the capability back or not though.

Airstud wrote:
iPhone doesn't let me edit text in mid-word, instead selecting the entire word, often a large one, and requiring me to eliminate it in the event of a keystroke

You have a cursor. Long tapping on the word in question will land the cursor where your finger is placed. If you longpress the space key, you can slide your finger and move the cursor where you want it.

Airstud wrote:
and iPhone doesn't let me install my own apps unless Their Eminences at the App Store see fit to bless them first.

Same thing with the Play Store. However, for both systems, jailbreaking/rooting the phone gives you greater flexibility.

Airstud wrote:
Those are the first not-liking-the-iPhone reasons on my list.

Sounds more like "I cannot be bothered to learn how to use this phone properly and customize it to my liking". May I suggest a more suitable alternative...perhaps the Samsung Jitterbug Plus? :old:

Airstud wrote:
(What phone do I plan to get? Samsung Galaxy S10 plus. Been eyeing it for awhile and this week Target is offering a $200 gift card with activation. It's "for well-qualified guests" so pray I get approved!! :smile: )

I gotta say, I like the new Android OS interface. Looks more like an individualized OS than a corporate OS. Was eyeing some phones to upgrade. The Pixel's screen was very convincing, but in the end, still went with the iPhone 11 Pro.

Airstud
Topic Author

Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:15 am

It says "You must be connected to a WiFi network to start an iCloud backup;" that's what it says on my iPhone screen, see.
Pancakes are delicious.