Braybuddy
Topic Author

Non-Av Pic Thread Q4 2019

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:36 pm

New quarter=new thread!

A short hop across the water again -- this time for a trip around the lovely counties of Cornwall and Sussex. Pics taken a month ago, just at the end of the heatwave:

TSS

Re: Non-Av Pic Thread Q4 2019

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:36 am

Braybuddy wrote:
New quarter=new thread!

A short hop across the water again -- this time for a trip around the lovely counties of Cornwall and Sussex. Pics taken a month ago, just at the end of the heatwave:

Very cool pics, particularly this one of what appears to be an old gatehouse. Do you know if it is currently in use as a private residence?

Also, the herringbone pattern of the stones in the retaining wall connected to it is interesting because I've never seen that on any older British construction. Any idea if there is a structural benefit to that or is it purely decorative?

This one has me puzzled- Obviously it is the remains of what used to be a structure at the end of a pier, but in better days what was it? The overall shape suggests a dance hall, but the end of a pier seems an odd place for one of those, ditto an arcade. Perhaps a fancy restaurant?

Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

SQ22

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:40 am

Link to previous thread:

viewtopic.php?t=1426853

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:59 pm

TSS wrote:
Very cool pics, particularly this one of what appears to be an old gatehouse. Do you know if it is currently in use as a private residence?

Also, the herringbone pattern of the stones in the retaining wall connected to it is interesting because I've never seen that on any older British construction. Any idea if there is a structural benefit to that or is it purely decorative?

That was taken looking through the Barbican Gate (outer wall or fortress) of Lewes Castle, dating from the 14th century (the castle itself pre-dates it by a couple of centuries), which is now a museum, so I guess that answers your question on it being a private residence. I've done some googling and can't find anything about the sonework (or construction). Maybe someone on here might be able to help, though I'd imagine information like that is now lost in the mists of time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewes_Castle

TSS wrote:
This one has me puzzled- Obviously it is the remains of what used to be a structure at the end of a pier, but in better days what was it? The overall shape suggests a dance hall, but the end of a pier seems an odd place for one of those, ditto an arcade. Perhaps a fancy restaurant?

That is the remains of the West Pier in Brighton. It closed over 40 years ago, and burnt down in 2003 (probably arson) and has remained derelict ever since. It is currently beyond repair, although there are proposals to build a new pier at the site. I can't say for certain what the structure you're talking about was, but from what I gather it was possibly a pavilion or concert hall.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Pier

It's skeletal remains have become particularly popular with photographers, so in that sense it would be a shame to see it go. With the right conditions photographs of it can have an wonderful eerie quailty.

Glad you liked them!

Thunderboltdrgn

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:10 pm

Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

TSS

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:14 am

Braybuddy wrote:
TSS wrote:

That was taken looking through the Barbican Gate (outer wall or fortress) of Lewes Castle, dating from the 14th century (the castle itself pre-dates it by a couple of centuries), which is now a museum, so I guess that answers your question on it being a private residence. I've done some googling and can't find anything about the sonework (or construction). Maybe someone on here might be able to help, though I'd imagine information like that is now lost in the mists of time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewes_Castle

Very cool, and thanks for checking!

I watched this series on YouTube and found it fascinating. It goes into all aspects of medieval castles, from construction to staffing to support/obtaining supplies, etc. You may have already seen it, but if not I highly recommend it:

Secrets of the Castle: Why Build A Castle? | Episode 1 | (Medieval Documentary) | Timeline- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydoRAbpWfCU

Braybuddy wrote:
TSS wrote:

That is the remains of the West Pier in Brighton. It closed over 40 years ago, and burnt down in 2003 (probably arson) and has remained derelict ever since. It is currently beyond repair, although there are proposals to build a new pier at the site. I can't say for certain what the structure you're talking about was, but from what I gather it was possibly a pavilion or concert hall.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Pier

It's skeletal remains have become particularly popular with photographers, so in that sense it would be a shame to see it go. With the right conditions photographs of it can have an wonderful eerie quality.

With just the right amount of fog I'd imagine so.

Braybuddy wrote:
Glad you liked them!

Glad you posted 'em!
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

WarRI1

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:09 am

Excellent set of pictures from both of you. I like the Indian Motorcycle, a name that goes way back here. I think it is the original motorcycle company here in USA. Nice eye spotting that.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:25 pm

TSS wrote:
I watched this series on YouTube and found it fascinating. It goes into all aspects of medieval castles, from construction to staffing to support/obtaining supplies, etc. You may have already seen it, but if not I highly recommend it:

Secrets of the Castle: Why Build A Castle? | Episode 1 | (Medieval Documentary) |

Thanks for that, I'll check it out.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:35 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Excellent set of pictures from both of you. I like the Indian Motorcycle, a name that goes way back here. I think it is the original motorcycle company here in USA. Nice eye spotting that.

I was intrigued by the name, WarRI1. I'd never heard of them before, so thanks for clearing that up. My knowledge of motorbikes doesn't really extend beyond Harleys, Hondas and Triumphs. But that one sure caught my eye, and I knew immediately that the only way to photograph it was in black and white.

September11

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Cool
Airliners.net of the Future