UAUA
Topic Author

Things you never see in Hong Kong.......

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:16 am

It's Hong Kong..... The world's third largest business and financial centre after New York and London, arguably the busiest/most dynamic/most efficient/most advanced/richest city in the world. The city never sleeps and it is very international.

Nevertheless over the past few days, the city is completely dead. Similar to New York right after 9.11. Roads are empty apart from certain areas where protestors are. Many restaurants and bars are closed. Can't even get a single bus, taxi or even UBER (pressed like 30 times and waited for more than an hour). The metro closes all of a sudden. Even at 7pm. Malls are closed during public holidays.

People used to joke about Vancouver, Sydney etc being a 'sleep early' city. Now Hong Kong is even earlier. Weird. Even a small city in Kentucky, USA is busier than Hong Kong now. Geeeeeeeeeeeez.

Insane!
My former profile name was United Airline.

zkojq

Re: Things you never see in Hong Kong.......

Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:31 am

Not really a surprise that people wouldn't be out and about when the government arbitrarily shuts down the trains.
First to fly the 787-9

UAUA
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:14 am

Yet protests continue.....

Pacific

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:49 am

Meanwhile, I went into a town in the New Territories today and it was full of civilian shoppers. Arguably even busier than usual.

UAUA
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:18 am

Wow where?

Any photos?

I still see HKG as super safe

Veigar

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:04 pm

For $2,500 a month will I be able to afford a closet in HK ?

zakuivcustom

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:08 pm

From what I can tell...

1. Supermarket closes down? They just eat at smaller mom-and-pop restaurants or go to traditional "wet" markets. Lines at smaller restaurants were insanely long.
2. Empty R not operating? People just take the bus. Actually, there are definitely people that had been actively avoiding/boycotting Empty R especially since 8/31 anyway.
3. No places to shop? Who cares? Many of those malls only cater to mainland PRC "tourists" anyway.

Yes, it's a bit eerie especially on Saturday (Sunday is another story as it's more protest followed by typical chaos), but HK had been through worse, and HKers still survived as they're VERY resilient.

Seriously, though, the inept gov't only have themselves to blame. Things were already getting quieter when I was in HK last month. Chaos on October 1st was totally expected anyway, but the reaction after that did nothing but to further fuel the fire that's still burning. The public opinion is not exactly all that friendly towards the gov't anyway even if many disagree with the vandalism of shops/subways, which is something the inept gov't will NEVER understand (They still think that people not agreeing with those "radicals" vandalizing shops = support the worthless popo and the totally inept gov't officials).

Oh, and of all the vandalism, it's not like they'll vandalize your shop for no reason, either.

Pacific wrote:
Meanwhile, I went into a town in the New Territories today and it was full of civilian shoppers. Arguably even busier than usual.

Sheung Shui? Where people actually was able to shop for once thanks to the lack of those parallel traders?

UAUA wrote:
Wow where?

Any photos?

I still see HKG as super safe

HK is safe as long as none of those low-EQ, lowly educated riot popo are around. Once you see them, go as far away as possible thanks to their tendency to just arbitrarily stop you (just b/c they can) or even arrest you if they feel like doing so. With the idiotic anti-mask law nowaday, it gets even more arbitrary.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

UAUA
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:26 pm

Can't agree more

zakuivcustom

Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:55 pm

Veigar wrote:
For $2,500 a month will I be able to afford a closet in HK ?

2500USD or HKD? :duck:

Actually, you can get a fairly nice flat (albeit still small...i.e. something like 600-700 sq. ft., but 2 bedrooms) for 2500USD/mo (Something like 20k HKD) rent in a relatively new residential neighborhood in suburban areas relatively close to CBD (i.e. places like Ma On Shan or Tseung Kwan O).

The catch is, the average monthly salary in HK is something like 19k HKD (So something like 2400USD). Even for professionals like Accountants or Engineers, who make something like 35k-40k HKD/month, it's still a lot of money just for rent.

Side note - with the actions of HKPF tonight, the popo are definitely trying to scare people into not going anywhere after 8pm or so. Good luck with that in HK where some people doesn't even get off work at 8pm.

First workday tomorrow after a fairly chaotic weekend. We'll see how things goes. Chances are it'll be normal during the day, more protests at night with more (at times arbitrary) arrest. A few Empty R stations will get vandalized again.

I believe Carrie Lam will appear tomorrow in a presscon also. Hopefully a reporter finally throw either a shoe, a mic, or just anything at her face.

TWA772LR

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:20 pm

Im looking at going to HK at the end of October/beginning of November for a couple days. As an American, would it be wise for me to go?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

T54A

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:27 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Im looking at going to HK at the end of October/beginning of November for a couple days. As an American, would it be wise for me to go?

Yes. They couldn’t care less for Americans
T6, Allouette 3, Oryx, King Air, B1900, B727, B744, A319, A342/3/6 A332/3

zakuivcustom

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:03 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

Personally, I would say there's nothing wrong with the "being an American" part. HK is still not quite mainland China, even if the local gov't really want to go down that route. In another word - you won't get detained just for being an American, unlike places like North Korea or Iran or even mainland China (Ok, mainland China only love to detain Canadians).

As for whether it's wise to go in general - it's perfectly safe (protesters are not going to beat you up unless you're idiotic enough to rally with a Chinese flag yelling "Long live Xi Jinping" in the middle of a protest group). My only concern would be possible transportation disruption, as roads can be blocked (Either due to protesters setting up roadblocks, or popo doing their stupid marches in an area chasing away protesters) along with Empty-R (No, it's not a typo) possibly shutting down (At times just b/c of totally unconfirmed online rumors...it's HK gov't and they're seriously totally scared of everything). Weekdays are usually better as even protesters have to either go to work or school, at least during daytime.

BN747

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:18 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

Dude, you'll be safer there than in Hawaii, Hong Kong has always been a vibrant, exciting international metropolis.

You'll be very impressed...except if the crowds are missing, there goes half the fun. Hong Kong all about 'crowds buzzing' about.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Pacific

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:33 pm

I don't blame the MTR, I see it as common sense for any operator to coordinate and cooperate with authorities. At least, I expect London's system to cooperate and shut down where there are hot spots so it was surprising that the MTR initially kept stations open where big police ops were taking place.

That said, the popularity of HK's authorities is down the gutter.

zakuivcustom

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Pacific wrote:
That said, the popularity of HK's authorities is down the gutter.

Carrie Lam has 15% approval vs. 80% disapproval in the latest poll, and this is before she decided that it's a good idea to ram the stupid anti-mask law through.

Pacific wrote:
I don't blame the MTR, I see it as common sense for any operator to coordinate and cooperate with authorities. At least, I expect London's system to cooperate and shut down where there are hot spots so it was surprising that the MTR initially kept stations open where big police ops were taking place.

London Tube System has a LOT more redundancy than Empty-R, especially in central areas of Greater London.

Plus we all know Empty-R only shuts thing down nowaday just b/c People's Daily complain about how Empty-R provides trains to "carry protesters around". For months protesters even buy tickets or leave cash on Empty-R stations ticket machine when they leave a protest area. Hack, after the idiotic popo shoot off a tear gas in Kwai Fong Station way back in July (or August...I don't remember), you have young people volunteering on their own as a group cleaning up the station the day after.

After what happen on August 11th in Taikoo Station (with a bunch of riot police pushing people down an elevator) follow by a even worse incident on August 31st in Prince Edward Station (Which the riot popo literally beat up a bunch of people in a Empty-R train claiming they're "enforcing the law" while chasing reporters away, and eventually stirred up tons of online rumors), all bets are off. Protests began at the Empty-R headquarters but eventually spread first to hotspots like Prince Edward Station and spread to basically all Empty-R stations. Empty-R reap what they sow anyway - basically serving their (and the popo's) interest ahead of the people.

seat64k

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:16 pm

Pacific wrote:
I don't blame the MTR, I see it as common sense for any operator to coordinate and cooperate with authorities.

There's cooperating and there's cooperating. Here's a pattern that keeps repeating:

1. Protest organisers get permission that's good until 11PM
2. At 10PM MTR closes stations around the protest at police's request
3. MTR then allows police to use the station as a base from which to operate from
4. At 11PM, tens of thousands of people head back to the MTR, only to find it closed, forcing them onto the street
5. Police declare this an unlawful assembly, and proceed to fire teargas, rubber & sponge bullets, beanbags and water canon at protestors who now have now way to get out of the situation.
6. Protesters leg it down the road to get away from this chaos, only to find the next station is closed too. And the next, and the next. Meanwhile MTR is sending trains up and down to transport riot police

And you wonder why people are throwing molotovs down the MTR entrances? Oh, and there's the issue of "protestors" who are somehow inside the closed-and-crawling-with-police MTR stations vandalising shit, uninterrupted, and then walk out and get in a police van and drive away. Yeah, "cooperation"...

I cringe as hard as the next person when I see the videos of people smashing ticket machines, but maybe real money damage is what it will take to remind the MTR Corporation who their paying customers are.

zakuivcustom

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:51 pm

seat64k wrote:
Pacific wrote:
I don't blame the MTR, I see it as common sense for any operator to coordinate and cooperate with authorities.

There's cooperating and there's cooperating. Here's a pattern that keeps repeating:

1. Protest organisers get permission that's good until 11PM
2. At 10PM MTR closes stations around the protest at police's request
3. MTR then allows police to use the station as a base from which to operate from
4. At 11PM, tens of thousands of people head back to the MTR, only to find it closed, forcing them onto the street
5. Police declare this an unlawful assembly, and proceed to fire teargas, rubber & sponge bullets, beanbags and water canon at protestors who now have now way to get out of the situation.
6. Protesters leg it down the road to get away from this chaos, only to find the next station is closed too. And the next, and the next. Meanwhile MTR is sending trains up and down to transport riot police

And you wonder why people are throwing molotovs down the MTR entrances? Oh, and there's the issue of "protestors" who are somehow inside the closed-and-crawling-with-police MTR stations vandalising shit, uninterrupted, and then walk out and get in a police van and drive away. Yeah, "cooperation"...

I cringe as hard as the next person when I see the videos of people smashing ticket machines, but maybe real money damage is what it will take to remind the MTR Corporation who their paying customers are.

You forgot to mention that plain-clothed cop getting caught red-handed in Sheung Shui Station, after it's closed, wearing mask and dressing like a protester.

Or, that person vandalizing a ticketing machine with a, well, police baton?

"The police will never do any action that's illegal"? Yeah...right...like anyone believe that nowaday.

Oh, and did I mentioned that of all those destruction of Empty-R stations, they don't even put some officers right at the stations, knowing that vandalism will occurred? The only explanation is that the undercover popo are leading the charge, then used the excuses of vandalism to randomly catch a bunch of younger protesters.

Pacific

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:10 am

Things have definitely changed in the 2 days since I posted.

seat64k

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:24 am

Pacific wrote:

The stuff I describe started in July. What changed in the last two days? (I'm abroad at the moment)

zakuivcustom

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:55 pm

seat64k wrote:
Pacific wrote:

The stuff I describe started in July. What changed in the last two days? (I'm abroad at the moment)

I don't see much difference either...

Things are relatively calmer, yes, and there haven't been Empty-R stations getting vandalized (at least heavily). Otherwise, people are still pissed, the pro-China camp remain the same old, same old (As evident in the legislature activity this past two days), Carrie Lam is still same old same old (aka still act like as if nothing happen), popo are still being idiots, and things can still flare quickly.

Oh well, we'll see how the protest on 20th goes. More Tear Gas (If HKPF still has any...there were reports that their stock is running low), Water Cannon, and roadblocks more than likely.

seat64k

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:25 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Oh well, we'll see how the protest on 20th goes. More Tear Gas (If HKPF still has any...there were reports that their stock is running low), Water Cannon, and roadblocks more than likely.

It's the (expired) UK-made stocks that were running low. Probably ran out by now. They've had new stock arrive from China...