AirPacific747
Topic Author

iOS or Android in 2019? And why?

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:50 pm

Currently an iPhone user here and have been for several years but the selection of Android phones looks intriguing and I like the freedom aspect of Android. Is it worth the switch if all your family uses iOS?

einsteinboricua

Re: iOS or Android in 2019? And why?

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:33 pm

If your house has many Apple devices, then I'd say don't rock the boat unless you plan to overhaul everyone. If you have Google home or Chromecast, then it may be worth considering. Also, keep in mind that, assuming your plan has limited texting, each text you send to your family would be considered SMS instead of online. You COULD use Whatsapp to get around it, but it's cumbersome to keep track of two different messaging services.

What prompted my return to iPhone from an Android phone was:
1. Having a Macbook and iPad...the iPhone just made sense.
2. Android phones lost their edge against iPhones. The removable battery and micro SD card slot were the sellers for me to pick the Samsung S4. At the time when I chose my current phone, the S6 completely removed all of it, so there was no point in continuing with Android (plus, the S4 lost reception or would restart out of the blue so that left a sour taste; it was a hardware issue, but then my other gripe against Android is the bloatware you can't remove unless you root it).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:28 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
If your house has many Apple devices, then I'd say don't rock the boat unless you plan to overhaul everyone. If you have Google home or Chromecast, then it may be worth considering. Also, keep in mind that, assuming your plan has limited texting, each text you send to your family would be considered SMS instead of online. You COULD use Whatsapp to get around it, but it's cumbersome to keep track of two different messaging services.

What prompted my return to iPhone from an Android phone was:
1. Having a Macbook and iPad...the iPhone just made sense.
2. Android phones lost their edge against iPhones. The removable battery and micro SD card slot were the sellers for me to pick the Samsung S4. At the time when I chose my current phone, the S6 completely removed all of it, so there was no point in continuing with Android (plus, the S4 lost reception or would restart out of the blue so that left a sour taste; it was a hardware issue, but then my other gripe against Android is the bloatware you can't remove unless you root it).

My girlfriend has an iPad and iPhone. And I have a company related iPad. The integration between Apple devices is second to none, but at the same time I am getting bored with iOS. It's a tough call but a first world problem I guess.

Safe choice is to stick with iOS.

passyflyer

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:20 am

Stick with iOS. Apple wants a lot of your money but Google tries very hard to get ALL of your data. I like Apple for their privacy policies...

Aesma

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:42 pm

I would never consider Apple as it's too closed, but also too expensive. I can't justify putting that much money in a phone. And then getting told what I can and cannot do.

I just ordered a Samsung A50s, it's coming from India or Malaysia or something because it's not yet available here (only the A50), 300€, big screen but not too big, big photo captor, SD slot and audio jack.

I also considered Huawei and Xiaomi.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Aesma wrote:
I would never consider Apple as it's too closed, but also too expensive. I can't justify putting that much money in a phone.

One thing no one can deny is that Apple is known for making quality products. Seems they're catching on that if they sell something that lasts long, it'll cause sales to drop, but their high end products a top notch.

There's a reason Macbooks cost much more than a regular PC. A PC's performance degrades within 2-3 years; I had a used Macbook (2010 model, bought in 2013) that lasted me until early 2018...eight years of solid performance? I have yet to find a PC that can do that.

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:47 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
but at the same time I am getting bored with iOS. It's a tough call but a first world problem I guess.

Why are you getting bored with iOS? Genuinely curious. You have all the major apps that Android has. Sure there may be some variations in layouts and such (and there may be 3rd party apps that will exist only for one platform and not the other), but what advantages are you looking in an Android phone that iOS doesn't offer?

casinterest

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:57 pm

Fragmentation is still a big problem in the Android world. Apple keeps that IOS supported for 4-5 years on their devices. I bought an Iphone 3 years ago, and am still getting all the software updates. If IOS 14 is supported on my phone, I will have 5 years with this phone. Longevity and simplicity works. Android has it's advantages, but to get the software support you are at the mercy of the manufacturer and their testing plans. Or you can just try to jailbreak.

https://www.androidauthority.com/androi ... te-963368/
Where ever you go, there you are.

Aesma

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:01 pm

Or you can buy a middle range Android every two years and not fall behind.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

AirPacific747
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:59 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
but at the same time I am getting bored with iOS. It's a tough call but a first world problem I guess.

Why are you getting bored with iOS? Genuinely curious. You have all the major apps that Android has. Sure there may be some variations in layouts and such (and there may be 3rd party apps that will exist only for one platform and not the other), but what advantages are you looking in an Android phone that iOS doesn't offer?

It's a good question. Android probably offers nothing that iOS doesn't also offer. It's more about being able to customize your home screen, icons etc. Probably things that don't matter in the end.

I just get a little bored looking at the same home screen since ten years ago

casinterest

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:16 pm

Aesma wrote:

But then where are your cost savings?

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:26 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
It's more about being able to customize your home screen, icons etc. Probably things that don't matter in the end.

I just get a little bored looking at the same home screen since ten years ago

My home screen is not the Apple one; it's this (props if anyone guesses where it's from). I changed it once I got the phone. Icons...that's out of anyone's control since even Android won't let you change how icons show up. Now, some Android phones do allow the placement of app shortcuts all over whereas Apple HAS to line them up, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

hawaiian717

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:36 pm

There actually is a way to simulate changing app icons in iOS, using third party apps. LINE DECO does this but there may be others. What they do is they create Safari shortcuts with custom icons that launch the apps whose icon they replace. Then you can just stuff the original app in a folder somewhere out of the way.

Aesma

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:21 pm

casinterest wrote:
Aesma wrote:

With the crazy prices of Apple, there is plenty of margin. My Samsung A50S will come out at 375€ with the new 512GB card I bought, for a total of 640GB of storage. No iphone has even that, and when they're cheaper, mine can take a 1TB card (probably even a 2TB one). With a bigger screen, and smaller and lighter phone (iPhone 11 and 11 Pro are both above my target weight).

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:47 am

If you're firmly entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, you should stick to the iPhone.

If you're like me and have stepped out of the Apple ecosystem, then an Android phone would be a better choice.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

DL717

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:32 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
Currently an iPhone user here and have been for several years but the selection of Android phones looks intriguing and I like the freedom aspect of Android. Is it worth the switch if all your family uses iOS?

My wife got all bent on iOS changes recently. Tech change drives her nuts. Should have seen things around here when we dumped DirecTV for Hulu. Or when we went from a PC to a Mac. Her first question was “what will we do for TV if the internet goes down”? My response was “what do we do when DirecTV goes down in a storm”? Then I asked when was the last time the internet was down? Yeah, I caught hell for that one because it hasn’t gone down in a couple of years. At least while we were home and knew about it. Anyway, back to iOS... she ran and grabbed an Android phone, then she got even more irritated a day later and took it back. She missed the ecosystem. :banghead:

Stick with iOS. Everything else is a mix match of apps and entertainment sources. The “freedom” aspect is overrated. If it makes more sense for work, then make the change, but expect some frustration with the change. For us, Apple just makes sense in retirement. Don’t need Office even though we have it (wanna guess why we have it? :white: ).

Apple just makes more sense when your technology needs shift from working to surfing, communicating, listening to music, organizing pictures and watching movies.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

speedbird52

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 am

this argument made it onto anet too???

I have to firmly go with Android. iOS is extremely limiting. Transferring photos from your phone to your PC is a pain because of the file structure. Transferring files to your iPhone is next to impossible. meanwhile Android allows you to create folders and move files much the same way as in a PC. In fact you can even connect a mouse and keyboard to your Android phone and use it like a PC. Android has a ton of customization: You can choose which page is your home screen, which is extremely useful for three page home screens because instead of swiping twice to access your third app page, you can just swipe once in a different direction. Widgets add a cool look and feel to your phone, and can be put anywhere. In many cases they are extremely useful. One downside with Android is that sometimes a phone manufactures particular version of Android will suck, and Android phones are feature updated for no longer than 2-3 years, and AFAIK security updated for 5. Android allows you to install custom versions of Android in the same way you can install a custom version of Linux on your computer. This can let you update your phone for longer, or choose an operating system that looks and acts exactly how you want it to. Notice how cluttered your iPhone gets with apps? Android doesn't have this problem thanks to the app drawer: A place that stores all your app icons outside your homescreen. Just swipe down to access it.

Android allows apps to be installed outside the Playstore. This gives you more diversity of options, and more importantly, gives you a small amount of control over how your apps behave. For example: I got dark mode on instagram early by downloading an APK. You can also get Youtube with no ads.

Speaking of Youtube, did you know that Youtube can play in the background on Android? Yup. Multitasking. Android allows you to have two apps open at once either in split screen view or pop up view.

By far the best thing about Android is that you have choice. Did Apple do something to piss you off? Tough luck: You can't get iOS anywhere else. you are stuck with them. Did Samsung piss you off like they pissed me off? OnePlus will welcome you with open arms. Or Huawei. Or Google. Or Xiaomi. or Nokia. or Sony. or LG. You get the picture...
Moreover, the high end models of iPhone cost significantly more than Android counterparts. The iPhone 11 Pro Max 512 GB costs $1449! Compared to the Galaxy S10+ which costs $1249.

iOS does do some things better than Android. Updates is the most frequently cited thing. Thing is: By the 4th iOS update your iPhone gets, in my experience the phone becomes unbearably slow. People praise Apples ecosystem, but honestly if you don't want to pay even more money than you already do it serves more as a hindrance than a help. You get bombarded with messages to reenter your iCloud password. You get bombarded with messages telling you to upgrade your iCloud storage because your physical storage is full. You get the delight of iMessages that fail to send when your data connection is weak. I never had this issue with SMS...

All that said: iOS did feel smoother than Android for me. Sometimes I get very weird issues on my phone such as GBoard freezing while I am typing, or a black screen that flashes every time I turn my phone display on without unlocking. I also love the fact that iOS gives different vibrations for different notifications. (But I love turning notifications totally off with one button even better...)

speedbird52

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:55 am

passyflyer wrote:
Stick with iOS. Apple wants a lot of your money but Google tries very hard to get ALL of your data. I like Apple for their privacy policies...

I assume you never use any Google services on your phone? Or have Instagram or Facebook installed?

JJJ

Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:57 am

casinterest wrote:
    Aesma wrote:

iPhones these days are easily more than twice the cost of a decent Android phone (not to mention the economics of forking 2x every four years are worse than x every two.

I'm on my second year on a OnePlus 5. Still fast and sharp. Not planning to change for at least another year

Zeppi

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:16 am

casinterest wrote:
    Fragmentation is still a big problem in the Android world.

That's a thing of the past since Treble/AOSP, IF you are willing to put some work into it.

I do the same with my smartphone as I do with my PC/Workstation: I only buy the hardware and do the software myself. In case of the phone just download the AOSP sources and compile for my device. Sure, takes some effort, but then the entire OS is exactly as I want it - from framework to GUI, not even a line of code from any google app/service or anything else that might gather my data without me being totally in control about it. Plus I'm not limited to whatever the manufacturer "allows" me to do with my device, it's entirely my choice. Even all software/apps I run is purely open source.

For me it's like this: If you are purely a user who wants to switch the device on and use facebook, whatsapp and whatever else is currently hip, an apple device is probably the best for you as you can't really do anything wrong. Downside is, you are in the apple cage. Same goes for android though, if you only want to use the software the manufacturer supplies with the device. Hence why I'd actually recommend apple in this case, as they are better in terms of updates.
    If you are very sensitive about privacy and security, and want to have total control over your device, DIY is really the only option.

casinterest

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:08 pm

Zeppi wrote:
    casinterest wrote:
    Fragmentation is still a big problem in the Android world.

That's a thing of the past since Treble/AOSP, IF you are willing to put some work into it.

DIY is really the only option.

And here is the key. This only works for people that have a lot of time to waste on customizing their phone. As someone that has to support multiple less than savy people on theirs. I have to say that IOS is less of a headache and much more supportable. Upgrades are automatic, and IOS keeps things secure.

afcjets

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:01 pm

passyflyer wrote:

Can you be more specific? I know Google is the best at spyware but I assumed Apple is doing the same with your phone.

passyflyer

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:56 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
    passyflyer wrote:

I assume you never use any Google services on your phone? Or have Instagram or Facebook installed?

I use some services from Google, search of course and Google Maps of course. But not Calendar nor Gmail as I do not trust them with that data.

passyflyer

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:59 pm

afcjets wrote:
    passyflyer wrote:

Can you be more specific? I know Google is the best at spyware but I assumed Apple is doing the same with your phone.

Easy - it‘s a different business model. Google needs to know you in detail because they want to target you with the right ads. Therefore they scan all your data, contacs, mail etc. That‘s how they make money. The business of Apple is to sell you devices and services. With Apple you are the customer, with Google you are the product they are selling to their ad customers.

afcjets

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:52 pm

passyflyer wrote:
    afcjets wrote:
    passyflyer wrote:

Easy - it‘s a different business model. Google needs to know you in detail because they want to target you with the right ads. Therefore they scan all your data, contacs, mail etc. That‘s how they make money. The business of Apple is to sell you devices and services. With Apple you are the customer, with Google you are the product they are selling to their ad customers.

I know but how can you be certain with Apple you're not the customer and the product? Does their privacy policy state they don't sell your information? Even if they don't, what keeps them from spying on you like Google for their own purposes? Do they say we don't collect any information or retain any web history at all?

ChrisKen

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:12 pm

Of course Apple use all your data to fleece you in the future. The whole thing is designed to do so. To believe Apple don't do such things is a triumph of their marketing, which is the one thing they do actually excel at. Making people believe their run of the mill product is cutting edge bee's knees stuff and it's all about freedom and creativity when the closed system is everything but.

IMHO, Apple is fine if you like to do things the way Apple want you to do things, if you want to deviate it's a pain in the proverbial. If you feel tied into apple, continue buying their product. However migration to android is pretty easy and opens up a much wider range of products, leading edge technologies, a wider variety of price ranges and applications (minus the mark up).

AirPacific747
    Topic Author

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:53 pm

Still can’t decide. I can see the benefits and cons of both.

I would miss iMessage, but I also at the same time don’t like how tied in you are.

Those new OnePlus phones look tempting.

Tugger

Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:11 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
    Still can’t decide. I can see the benefits and cons of both.

I would miss iMessage, but I also at the same time don’t like how tied in you are.

Those new OnePlus phones look tempting.

As others above have noted, due to the fact that carriers/vendors can get in the way of updates and add bloatware, I only get stock Android or Android One phones. These give you faster updates and a cleaner install of Android. I have the Pixel 3a currently which has the most updates and fastest security updates as well.

Tugg
    I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
    Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

NIKV69

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:20 pm

I have kept my phone Android since I have an ipad as well and I like the contrast
    Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

AirPacific747
    Topic Author

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:36 am

Bought an iPhone 11 Pro Max yesterday and played around with it the rest of the day. It is indeed a very nice phone but my conclusion is that it isn’t worth its price tag and I just get bored with iOS now. Something new needs to happen. So returning the phone today and getting a OnePlus 7 Pro instead. Also I wanna break free from the ecosystem now. Don’t want to pay the Apple tax anymore

Fiend

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:23 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
    Aesma wrote:
    I would never consider Apple as it's too closed, but also too expensive. I can't justify putting that much money in a phone.

One thing no one can deny is that Apple is known for making quality products. Seems they're catching on that if they sell something that lasts long, it'll cause sales to drop, but their high end products a top notch.

There's a reason Macbooks cost much more than a regular PC. A PC's performance degrades within 2-3 years; I had a used Macbook (2010 model, bought in 2013) that lasted me until early 2018...eight years of solid performance? I have yet to find a PC that can do that.

I have a 2007 Samsung laptop that's still going well, 12 years on.... I've made a few tweaks to it.... fitted a faster CPU, replaced hard drive with an SSD and added a bit more memory and it's still on it's original battery.....

As for mobiles..... I've got 2 Nokia's...... Android but without any bloatware that hogs system resources.
    BAC 1-11, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, A350, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83

cpd

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:31 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
    Bought an iPhone 11 Pro Max yesterday and played around with it the rest of the day. It is indeed a very nice phone but my conclusion is that it isn’t worth its price tag and I just get bored with iOS now. Something new needs to happen. So returning the phone today and getting a OnePlus 7 Pro instead. Also I wanna break free from the ecosystem now. Don’t want to pay the Apple tax anymore

I’m happy to be bored with iOS- I don’t want to have to fiddle with another OS. My previous iPhone was iPhone 5 which lasted forever, now have iPhone XR.

Majority of my computers are macs. Exception is one small windows 10 Lenovo laptop and my work surface pro which is the device I hate. It continually provides one problem after the next.

JJJ

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:49 am

cpd wrote:
    AirPacific747 wrote:

I’m happy to be bored with iOS- I don’t want to have to fiddle with another OS. My previous iPhone was iPhone 5 which lasted forever, now have iPhone XR.

Majority of my computers are macs. Exception is one small windows 10 Lenovo laptop and my work surface pro which is the device I hate. It continually provides one problem after the next.

How much of that is familiarity?

The day the IT guys decided to trade the iPad for a Surface most of the office sent a collective sigh of relief. Most of the work apps just seemed to have been just hastily bolted on, while the surface ran the software exactly as it ran on the work PC (because that's what it is).

All the while I had an iPad as a standalone device I felt it just wasn't worth it. Even my wife who's a heavy mac user (designers, you know) has an android phone and tablet.

anrec80

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:36 am

If all the family uses iOS - then presumably you guys have many iMessage chats and groups - which use small amounts of data. Android ecosystem relies on SMS for communications - and that may become an issue if some of them have limited plans. You would essentially force some of them to switch to alternatives such as WhatsApp.

AirPacific747
    Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:00 am

It’s only because I’m bored with iOS. Maybe I’ll switch back in the near future.

The best combo you can have in my opinion is iOS on phone and dedicated tablets and Windows on PC. I felt like my Mac was never any good for anything other than surfing the web. Unless you’re a creative type. So PC it is.

JJJ

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:58 am

anrec80 wrote:
    . You would essentially force some of them to switch to alternatives such as WhatsApp.

Most of the world runs on WhatsApp now. Even iOS users.

AirPacific747
    Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:11 pm

JJJ wrote:
    anrec80 wrote:
    . You would essentially force some of them to switch to alternatives such as WhatsApp.

True that WhatsApp is a more open alternative but WhatsApp is also available on iOS so you then have both iMessage and WhatsApp and many people in Europe and the US still use iMessage is their primary text messaging app

Aesma

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:17 pm

anrec80 wrote:
    If all the family uses iOS - then presumably you guys have many iMessage chats and groups - which use small amounts of data. Android ecosystem relies on SMS for communications - and that may become an issue if some of them have limited plans. You would essentially force some of them to switch to alternatives such as WhatsApp.

If you can afford an iPhone surely you can afford a decent plan ?

Then again I'm French where unlimited SMS came about 10 years ago or more, now it's unlimited everything. I have a mobile plan costing 16€/month just for my 4G router (from Huawei) and download 3 to 4TB of data per month, it's much faster than my DSL connexion (until I get fiber, hopefully soon).

I looked into this iMessage thing and clearly this can only work in the US where Apple has decent market share.

With my family and friends and colleagues we use Whatsapp (and I'm not saying it's ideal, but it works, and you don't need a facebook account).

AirPacific747
    Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:34 pm

Aesma wrote:
    anrec80 wrote:

Then again I'm French where unlimited SMS came about 10 years ago or more, now it's unlimited everything. I have a mobile plan costing 16€/month just for my 4G router (from Huawei) and download 3 to 4TB of data per month, it's much faster than my DSL connexion (until I get fiber, hopefully soon).

I looked into this iMessage thing and clearly this can only work in the US where Apple has decent market share.

With my family and friends and colleagues we use Whatsapp (and I'm not saying it's ideal, but it works, and you don't need a facebook account).

I have fiber internet where I live. Unlimited data for 30 euro per month.

Also free roaming/data in more than 40 countries plus free texting and pretty much unlimited calls for 30 euro. :D

JJJ

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:53 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
    JJJ wrote:
    anrec80 wrote:

True that WhatsApp is a more open alternative but WhatsApp is also available on iOS so you then have both iMessage and WhatsApp and many people in Europe and the US still use iMessage is their primary text messaging app

In the US sure, in most other countries not even iOS users use iMessage very much.

AirPacific747
    Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:13 pm

JJJ wrote:
    AirPacific747 wrote:
    JJJ wrote:

In the US sure, in most other countries not even iOS users use iMessage very much.

Maybe the case but where I live, iOS has almost 50% of the market share and everyone here with an iPhone also use iMessage

anrec80

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:23 pm

Aesma wrote:

This is generalization. In Canada, cellular communications (and Internet as well) are extremely expensive. What most people in others countries would call a descent plan (unlimited voice, text, and generous pool of data, say, 10GB or so) - will bear monthly tab in 3 figures. There is no notion of unlimited cellular data at all (option of paying $10/GB in overage charges is there, but I would not look into it obviously). Hence many people use discount carriers, where CAD 30-40/mo gets you some number (say, 500) of SMS, or voice minutes of MB of data (yes, MB - a word you’d think is gone in 21st century). USA is slightly better and unlimited data options are there, but also expensive.

And yes - I know some iPhone users who do not have any data plan at all. Believe it or not.

Aesma wrote:

Not an option, neither in USA or Canada. In the USA, even with unlimited data plans, they will at best throttle you down to 128-256K after soma allowance (50GB or so), or, if you are in rural area - can even kick you out.

cpd

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:35 pm

JJJ wrote:
    cpd wrote:
    AirPacific747 wrote:

How much of that is familiarity?

The day the IT guys decided to trade the iPad for a Surface most of the office sent a collective sigh of relief. Most of the work apps just seemed to have been just hastily bolted on, while the surface ran the software exactly as it ran on the work PC (because that's what it is).

All the while I had an iPad as a standalone device I felt it just wasn't worth it. Even my wife who's a heavy mac user (designers, you know) has an android phone and tablet.

Not really familiarity, I’m a very tech savvy user, I have to be. The Apple devices just work. Some days I want to throw the Surface Pro out the window. It has one drama after the next. The main thing is that I’m busy enough as it is, I don’t need extra diversions through technology not working.

speedbird52

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:29 am

passyflyer wrote:
    speedbird52 wrote:
    passyflyer wrote:

I use some services from Google, search of course and Google Maps of course. But not Calendar nor Gmail as I do not trust them with that data.

Google maps is absolutely tracking you, and search is their prime source of income. I still respect your principals and try my best to follow them myself