mcdu
Topic Author

Republic pilot punches female co-worker

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:44 pm

This is disturbing that an adult would act like this and punch a woman. News article says it’s a pilot from republic hitting a co-worker. What on earth has gotten into people? I hope he never operates as a pilot again.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/10/08/republic-airways-employees-fight-jetway-punch-slap/

TheFlyingDisk

Re: Republic pilot punches female co-worker

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:48 pm

So the woman slaps the guy first, and he responds with his fists.

Both should be fired, in my opinion.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

captnlocalizer

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:49 pm

Apparently they were both fired, but he allegedly spit on her too... the article I read said he may been a flight attendant (to show how much they know about aviation) lol

zeke

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:54 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

According to the article that’s exactly what happened.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

NYPECO

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:54 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

According to the article they were both fired, however TMZ is a pretty lousy source and I'd like to see if this is picked up by any better news sites.

mcdu
Topic Author

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:10 am

NYPECO wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

According to the article they were both fired, however TMZ is a pretty lousy source and I'd like to see if this is picked up by any better news sites.

It is now on Fox News also. Confirmed by Denver police
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/republic-airways-fight-man-punching-female-colleague

lightsaber

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:10 am

NYPECO wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Agreed, all counts. Wow, I'm speechless. She and he are... Not airline safety people.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

malaysia

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:15 am

Terrible jetbridge scene, much worse than that AA or Envoy employee jetbridge club recording, wonder if those two got fired as well?
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

ferminbrif

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:32 am

According to the article, they were allegedly involved in an intimate relationship. Maybe now they are together again enjoying honeymoon. Toxic couples used to hit each other’s, do that in a regular basis....

mcogator

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:02 am

I just made the mistake of reading the foxnews comments. It seems there are quite a few who believe the woman got what she deserved because she slapped him. Jeesh.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

bluefltspecial

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:19 am

As we all know, gossip is the absolute lowest form of discourse...

That being said, while rumors are just that,
the word at Republic is that a little hanky panky had been going on for some time between the two of them.

Apparently, upon his return to work from a company offered leave, she discovered that there was another woman and had kids.

Sadly, the reaction was not kept professional until out of work, and now they both are no longer employed there.

Moral of the story:

Fellas, don't dip your pen in company ink.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

timh4000

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:33 am

Both acted beyond indecency taking out on the jet bridge. Personally I want to see my crew both flight crew and attendants be professional. This makes her look bat shit crazy and he has has out of control anger issues. Neither would I choose to fly with.

rbavfan

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:46 am

mcogator wrote:
I just made the mistake of reading the foxnews comments. It seems there are quite a few who believe the woman got what she deserved because she slapped him. Jeesh.

Depends on why she slapped him. I'm from farm country. A girl hits you you hit back or that farm girl will screw you up.

mcogator

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:53 am

rbavfan wrote:
mcogator wrote:

Depends on why she slapped him. I'm from farm country. A girl hits you you hit back or that farm girl will screw you up.

Allegedly he spit on her first, and from the video it looks like he did. This isn't the farm, this is a place of work.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

CriticalPoint

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:56 am

mcogator wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
mcogator wrote:

Allegedly he spit on her first, and from the video it looks like he did. This isn't the farm, this is a place of work.

Except another article states she grabbed him by the tie and slapped him 3 times in the flight deck before you see the jet bridge video.

Agin not sticking up for the dirt bag just sticking to facts.

maverick4002

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:16 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

She did slap him first but in the video it clearly looks like he made a movement to hit her before she hit him.

Magnolia

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:08 am

Wow, this thread seems to have devolved fast. I'll just say a few things...

- Physical violence of any sort is unacceptable and both deserved to be fired

- Generally speaking, men are taller and stronger than women, so you better have a damn good reason (i.e. self-defense with reasonable threat of harm) if you're a man hitting a woman. That being said, the same is also true if you're a big strong person hitting a small weak person of the same gender.

speedbird52

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:36 am

The person who makes the first physical assault deserves to be hit back regardless of gender.

LittleSprocket

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:37 am

Don’t want to get hit, don’t go around hitting others. Glad that they were both canned!

VV

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:42 am

I am not saying it is right, but similar situation happens elsewhere.

This story interests you just because they work in the aviation industry.

I am amazed it is even discussed here.

clrd4t8koff

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:23 am

mcogator wrote:

I don’t condone violence against anyone - male or female. But this begs the question - if a woman attacks a man what is the right thing to do? Just stand there and take the slapping or beating (if she’s hitting with you with her fists)? At what point is a man justified in defending himself and striking back?

n92r03

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:40 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
mcogator wrote:

I don’t condone violence against anyone - male or female. But this begs the question - if a woman attacks a man what is the right thing to do? Just stand there and take the slapping or beating (if she’s hitting with you with her fists)? At what point is a man justified in defending himself and striking back?

I agree and another question here would have to do with equality. If male and female are considered equal, how would that issue come into similar situations. Spitting, slapping, whatever is ridiculous in itself, but today's male/female equality does beg the question why this would be a topic. Is it ok for a female to assault a male? What if both are gay and the female is more masculine (and physically bigger/stronger) than the male? So many rabbit holes this can go down.

scbriml

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:50 am

mcogator wrote:

Fox ‘news’ and you’re surprised by the comments? :crazy:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ltbewr

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:57 am

Almost any workplace today will fire any employee who does an act of physical violence (assault and battery) upon another employee or non-employee unless it is clearly self defense. That an act of physical violence here allegedly took place in the cockpit of a commercial aircraft is an instantly fireable offense. We know that employers cannot ban relationships by employees of the same company, but any employees must be very careful in getting into them, especially in recent years, as can have bad affects on both parties and the company. Both need to get counseling as well as face assault charges.

FrenchPotatoEye

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:10 am

Magnolia wrote:

- Generally speaking, men are taller and stronger than women, so you better have a damn good reason (i.e. self-defense with reasonable threat of harm) if you're a man hitting a woman. That being said, the same is also true if you're a big strong person hitting a small weak person of the same gender.

Woman's always say about equalled opportunity.

So the man gave her a hand after she gave a hand. One was slap, one was not.

Moral for women who site equals, do not give what you can't take. No sympathys for her.

DXTraveler

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:22 am

Just another example of why it's risky to shat where you eat.

mjoelnir

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:51 am

When I look at the video, I see no reason for her getting fired, he comes out of the airplane and goes straight into attacking her. From the woman I see nothing that can not be explained as self defense.

Somehow I seem to live in a different world. He spits or attacks her, and that includes the aggressive movement towards he, she slaps him, he gets fired. He beats her, he gets castrated and fired.

Is it an USA custom that allows attacks on woman?

emiratesdriver

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:59 am

Hey was merely treating her like his computer, and was punching the information in.
:stirthepot:

Boeing757rb211

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:21 am

Women, Man, Alien, i dont care who you are, you spit at / on me, or come into my "bubble" of safe space and touch/ slap/hit me,, i will do whatever i need to do to get you out of my "safe space bubble" and back off. Now yes i agree its at work and an extremely (or what should be) professional environment at that,,, SO MAYBE it could have been handled differently for the sake of keeping your job if nothing less? But i dont believe any of us were actually there so i guess we'll have to see what happened when the final report comes out, if it ever actually does. No matter what happened,,, definitely sad that it happened in a location at work like this,,, completely inappropriate.

jfklganyc

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:23 am

this behavior is ridiculous at work.

That is the story.

Leave the man/woman bs out of it.

We are all equal now...you hit, expect to hit in return.

mjoelnir

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:39 am

To all, did anybody watch the video? He attacked. That is not even about women versus man, it is about a man attacking a woman and both get fired.

FrenchPotatoEye

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:51 am

mjoelnir wrote:
When I look at the video, I see no reason for her getting fired, he comes out of the airplane and goes straight into attacking her. From the woman I see nothing that can not be explained as self defense.

Somehow I seem to live in a different world. He spits or attacks her, and that includes the aggressive movement towards he, she slaps him, he gets fired. He beats her, he gets castrated and fired.

We don't know why the he attacking her.

Maybe some things happened before they leave the airplane which not recorded on camera?

mcdu
Topic Author

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:58 am

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
Magnolia wrote:

Moral for women who site equals, do not give what you can't take. No sympathys for her.

That’s really not how a man should react. He was much bigger than her. Her slap was inconsequential to those body blow punches he threw. He’s an insecure man that was compensating for something by hitting her.

He threw away a million dollar plus in potential earnings at a legacy with his actions. That’s a high $ per swing. Hope he thinks about that when he’s stocking the shelves at Walmart

Amiga500

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:05 pm

mcogator wrote:

Its all about equality these days....

Wouldn't want to be done for sexual discrimination for not thumping her back would you?

ParkFSI

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:06 pm

So many say that this is unprofessional behavior for aviation employees cracks me up. I’m sure not all members on this forum are aviation employees but I have been shocked and disappointed by the internet Rambo behavior on many threads.

BC77008

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:07 pm

What I find most shocking is that the press correctly identified this as a Republic Airways crew and not United, American, or Delta. This is probably due to the fact it first appeared on FlyerTalk. Whichever mainline carrier it was they were flying for, you know their P.R, department is breathing a sigh of relief this morning that their carrier's name wasn't brought into it!
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

DarthLobster

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:43 pm

Ahh, the internet. Everyone’s unpolished garbage-brain opinions come out to play with little to no regard for anything other than disgorging themselves.

peterinlisbon

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:52 pm

Well if a guy slapped a guy, then nobody would be surprised that he got hit back. But since it was a woman that initiated the violence, apparently she is an innocent victim. This should be put down as a physical fight initiated by a woman and it should be seen whether or not the guy's response was proportionate or not. I don't think anyone should go around hitting people (man or woman, pilot or not) and expect them to just stand there and take it.

Bricktop

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:59 pm

mjoelnir wrote:

Yes. But only since November 2016. Duh!

JayBCN

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:02 pm

As a guy you just can’t win here. While she punches him first, he is the one who is quote „brutal“. Even in the header it’s not her punching him but the other way around. Even if he had just reported it without retaliation, everyone would have believed her account of the event.

frmrCapCadet

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:15 pm

In domestic violence, the smartest tactic for the first person who is hit: leave the scene if at all possible and file a police report.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

GlobalAirways

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:28 pm

I would be interested to know the percentage of males vs. females on A.net. I'm going to go out on a limb here based on these comments and guess that it's mostly males.
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. ~ W. Clement Stone

Planeboy17

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:41 pm

JayBCN wrote:
As a guy you just can’t win here. While she punches him first, he is the one who is quote „brutal“. Even in the header it’s not her punching him but the other way around. Even if he had just reported it without retaliation, everyone would have believed her account of the event.

Wow, so glad to hear your unbiased opinion. :roll:
A “ guy” can absolutely win if another person, including a female hits him. He calls his superiors and the police right away.
It is called simple assault and if the person committing this assault continues to do so in a manner that is dangerous than defensive actions should be taken.
Now in this scenario we only have the video to go by but someone upthread stated that she had hit him 3 times in the flight deck and apparently went into the jetway afterwards and I’m assuming that’s where the video picks up. If, and I stress if, the information about her hitting him in the cockpit is true, than he escalates the situation by coming out after her.
All he would’ve had to have done is immediately called his Chief Pilot and airport police and he would still have his job.
Of course you seem to think that no one ever believes the man in a domestic dispute ever, which seems to imply that women have been getting away with lying about domestic violence for years. Not sure you want to stick with that way of thinking.

n6238p

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:33 pm

As a crew member for the last bunches of years, there’s been a few instances of crossing paths with someone that I could see giving the business to. The thing is, I don’t because that’s not what a rational person does. When you’re in uniform, or hell any uniform, you don’t do anything like this no matter what the sex is of the person.

The more that comes out about this story, it points to it being a domestic disturbance that showed up to work. Domestic violence on its own is a terrible thing but holy hell don’t bring that energy to a job that involves over six dozen lives at a time. I can only imagine the type of stuff that went down between these two people at home.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

426Shadow

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:48 pm

He spit in her face so she slapped him. I do think he overreacted after that but most people don't think rationally when they are pissed.
Do it on three, One.....THREEEEEEE! Just got the nuts hangin out.

DXTraveler

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:20 am

"Is it an USA custom that allows attacks on woman?"
Yes of course. Why not take this one incident and use it to define an entire country of over 300 million people. Sheesh

Aaron747

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:52 am

bluefltspecial wrote:
As we all know, gossip is the absolute lowest form of discourse...

That being said, while rumors are just that,
the word at Republic is that a little hanky panky had been going on for some time between the two of them.

Apparently, upon his return to work from a company offered leave, she discovered that there was another woman and had kids.

Sadly, the reaction was not kept professional until out of work, and now they both are no longer employed there.

Moral of the story:

Fellas, don't dip your pen in company ink.

Simply not realistic and that’s why employers generally don’t police relationships whenever possible. In most of Asia, for instance, it is still commonplace for 20 and 30-somethings to find/meet spouses at work.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TTailedTiger

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:29 am

speedbird52 wrote:
The person who makes the first physical assault deserves to be hit back regardless of gender.

Agreed 100%. I will never initiate a physical assault. But if someone assaults me then they had better be prepared to get it right back.

TTailedTiger

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:33 am

mcdu wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
Magnolia wrote:

That’s really not how a man should react. He was much bigger than her. Her slap was inconsequential to those body blow punches he threw. He’s an insecure man that was compensating for something by hitting her.

He threw away a million dollar plus in potential earnings at a legacy with his actions. That’s a high $ per swing. Hope he thinks about that when he’s stocking the shelves at Walmart

Plenty of women have slapped cops and got their face shoved in the ground or tased. Are the police insecure? You don't seem to understand equality. If we all keep our hands to ourselves then we won't have anything to worry about.

Aaron747

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:53 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

Agreed 100%. I will never initiate a physical assault. But if someone assaults me then they had better be prepared to get it right back.

That goes for almost anyone with an amygdala and well-developed self preservation instinct. No special alpha bravado brownie points.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty