GalaxyFlyer
Topic Author

NorCal Power Cuts

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:11 am

Well, the banana republic named California has rolling blackouts because PG&E, in bankruptcy, can’t be assured of not starting bushfires on a Biblical scale. You all do know the sun shines elsewhere?

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article235976807.html

GF

Aaron747

Re: NorCal Power Cuts

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:16 am

Are you, like, envious of something? Yolo!

California has problems, yes, but so do other states. It's doing just fine without your brilliant solutions. We have hated PG&E for years, but they have a powerful bloc in Sacramento and have never been successfully challenged anywhere other than a court. Unless you have a suggested fix, this reeks of other-state envy.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

DocLightning

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:30 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Well, the banana republic named California has rolling blackouts because PG&E, in bankruptcy, can’t be assured of not starting bushfires on a Biblical scale. You all do know the sun shines elsewhere?

GF

Yeah. PG&E should not be a private company. We're pissed off that they started fires and now they're punishing us because they started fires so they're shutting off power. Hopefully, Mr. Newsom and the state legislature will relieve PG&E of its need to tend to shareholders before customers.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

T18

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:34 am

DocLightning wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Yeah. PG&E should not be a private company. We're pissed off that they started fires and now they're punishing us because they started fires so they're shutting off power. Hopefully, Mr. Newsom and the state legislature will relieve PG&E of its need to tend to shareholders before customers.

Thats how the it read to me. PG&E couldn't find the funds to maintain and/or repair their grid so they decided to avoid liability and turn it off. Makes me wonder why they don't have the funds to fix it but its too late now anyway to avoid the current issue.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Aaron747

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:41 am

Their credit rating is shite due to assumed exposure to ongoing lawsuits - that doesn’t help.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seb146

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:50 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Why are you so upset and name calling? PG&E is just doing the Republican thing and paying shareholders first before thinking of the safety and upgrades for consumers. Why do you hate that? That is totally the Republican way. Save the few because they will pay it back in theory. We are still waiting. Those who died in the preventable fires will never see the fruits of their goodness.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Tugger

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:53 am

T18 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Thats how the it read to me. PG&E couldn't find the funds to maintain and/or repair their grid so they decided to avoid liability and turn it off. Makes me wonder why they don't have the funds to fix it but its too late now anyway to avoid the current issue.

There are lots of problems that made the fires and the damages etc larger than any entity could foresee or control. Everyone dumps on PG&E but then forget the decades of forests mis-management that helped, and the piss-poor zoning and real estate practices that created the town of Paradise (quite an interesting read actually), and everything else that combined to creates the perfect tinder box. Then PG&E threw in a match with bad management and not actually spending dedicated monies on fire prevention and system improvements (which they instead put to executive bonuses, line employee raises, and increasing "share-holder returns". Idiots).

And *poof* firestorm!

And now people just want their power back on and for money to magically be spent to magically solve every problem whether directly under the control of PG&E or not. Down here in San Diego County SDG&E has been at it for over a decade and it still hasn't gotten to the end of the solution yet (estimated to be there or near it by 2025). And the area it covers is 1/20th of what PG&E covers. And it still cuts power very selectively if needed.

So do people want the power turned back on and the risk it brings? And if turned back on as demanded will PG&E be held not liable? No way, and nor should they be. The power outage is totally excessive in my opinion but I just don't know where the power should be turned back on and by doing so creating a risk of starting a fire.

The whining about California by those jealous of the attention it receives is indeed petty. But these are big problems that affect millions of people and will take years, decades, to actually address fully. And pandering, in the pocket of industry politicians won't be the solution. Nor will people just wanting things to go back to normal, nor will people trying to blame one entity. Nor will corporations that fight years long court battles to avoid any blame or responsibility. It will take actual intelligence and fair effort to resolve. By the public, by the government we elect, and by the corporations that we serv.... err I mean that serve us.

And that ain't gonna come easy or fast.

OK, flame on.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

frmrCapCadet

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:36 pm

Cliff Mass, climate scientist at U of WA, has discussed this several times. As mentioned in prior post bad forestry practices, too many houses in forests that do burn from time to time, lack of defensive yard clearing around residences, old infrastructure, inadequate tree trimming, have all contributed. The last item is expensive and I have not seen documentation that rates included amounts needed for tree trimming (and a better replacement cycle).

Another issue Cliff raises is now-casting - what is the weather doing now and far more accurate intensely local forecasting for the next 2-8 hours. We have the data and capability but it will need time and money to happen. And make wind power, fire prevention, aviation, sports arenas, etc etc far more productive and safer.

And of course the booboosies who enjoy all of this modern technology (but have the understanding of kids with soup cans and strings phones) will object. As always.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)