GalaxyFlyer

Re: What do you do for work?

Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:21 am

BN747 wrote:
Running a Rehab Center converting Bible Thumpers into 'smart' Atheists.. there are plenty of not-so-smart ones out there.

BN747

Posting on A.net isn’t a career or even a job, however you try

lightsaber

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Lead test engineer for a sector of a fortune 500 aerospace integrator. :hyper:
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

lightsaber

Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:01 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Erebus wrote:

What are your thoughts on manufacturers striving to make new generation aircraft more reliable and with lower maintenance requirements?

Air transport category aircraft are immensely complex with a ridiculous level of interaction between system. Interaction that was unheard of when I got into the business.

The routine end of the business is between the manufacturer, the regulator and the operator...and, it’s not going away.

My end of the business (chronic problems) is only going to get more interesting and manpower intensive. Especially since we’re delving into the prognostication of aircraft problems using all kinds of predictive reporting tools.

I see the middle end of the business getting a little slack. As reliability goes up, through design and preventative maintenance, I see line maintenance getting a little lean, but that can’t be helped. The work will pick up on either end.

I would say the maintenance burden is dropping. Predictive maintenance is difficult, but is progressing fast. It is in the 787, A350, NEO, MAX, A220, MRJ, 777xand E2. It takes time to debug, but once it works well, it cuts costs nicely.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Retired from active flying, but safety consulting part-time for an OEM, not Boeing

AtomicGarden

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:56 am

Customer service supervisor for a medium airline; I like to say I solve pax problems which the grunts cannot deal with (including the mundane). I sometimes hate more those below me more than the clients... it's like a sergeant dealing with a kindergarten populated by adults.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

Ken777

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:34 am

I stayed in the retail sector, but in various tasks. Started in sales and then buying, but moved to budgeting and then systems development. Finally sold small systems to small retailers and then pre-employment testing. That allowed me to get close to 3 million FF Miles with OneWorld. Along the way I was able to obtain a Provisional Patent in the cap/autopap field - which I set aside when my wife received a Dx of acute leukemia.

Now I'm simply a grandpa and husband, which is the best or all.

flipdewaf

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:48 am

chimborazo wrote:
Engineering manager and deputy global account manager at a company that builds food production lines worldwide except North America (although that may happen soon). Chances are if you’ve eaten Lays chips outside North America and South America (only just started there) your potato/chip has touched some of the equipment my company provides. Sit in the back of planes here there and everywhere every week or two.

And there was me thinking that I was the only one who worked in food engineering! I have probably used your equipment and been to do tests.

I work as a process engineer, managing R&D projects for a large frozen french fry company. My job is to find relevant technologies to our business, understand the tech, the businesses and how they fit with our business. Organise testing if required and make recommendations to our business.

Fred

FatCat

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:03 am

flipdewaf wrote:
chimborazo wrote:
Engineering manager and deputy global account manager at a company that builds food production lines worldwide except North America (although that may happen soon). Chances are if you’ve eaten Lays chips outside North America and South America (only just started there) your potato/chip has touched some of the equipment my company provides. Sit in the back of planes here there and everywhere every week or two.

And there was me thinking that I was the only one who worked in food engineering! I have probably used your equipment and been to do tests.

I work as a process engineer, managing R&D projects for a large frozen french fry company. My job is to find relevant technologies to our business, understand the tech, the businesses and how they fit with our business. Organise testing if required and make recommendations to our business.

Fred

hey Fred, I worked on a project with a big frozen french fry producer. it was in Switzerland. topic was ferromagnetic polyethylene plastic boxes for their debris be detectable to a magnetic scanner - not only to the optic scanner.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

MIAspotter

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:30 am

Administrative for the Corporate University at a multi-national here in Spain.

Leaving next week after 7 years (job got way too monotonous and boring) to take a couple months off to chill, and after that I will start setting up my own business :)

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?