ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mexican Resort Cities Ravaged by Cartel Violence

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:04 pm

Have any other Mexican resort cities besides Acapulco actually become no go zones due to drug cartel violence, because I understand that Acapulco has become Mexico's murder capital. Also, cartel violence has increased in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, but not reached the levels of Acapulco.
https://nypost.com/2018/12/15/behind-th ... ed-mexico/

seb146

Re: Mexican Resort Cities Ravaged by Cartel Violence

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:26 pm

Mazatlan was bad. I don't know how it is now. We took a Mexican cruise a few years ago. We never felt unsafe at all in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo but Mazatlan was sketchy as hell. We went to the central market and the cathedral next to it. The cab ride over and back was.... interesting. Even the "American" part of Mazatlan felt uneasy. I have also heard the border towns along the Arizona and California border are fairly safe.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

wingman

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:45 pm

My wife and I only go to D.F. these days. The beaches are terrible but there are no decapitations and the food is great.

stl07

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:17 pm

seb146 wrote:
Mazatlan was bad. I don't know how it is now. We took a Mexican cruise a few years ago. We never felt unsafe at all in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo but Mazatlan was sketchy as hell. We went to the central market and the cathedral next to it. The cab ride over and back was.... interesting. Even the "American" part of Mazatlan felt uneasy. I have also heard the border towns along the Arizona and California border are fairly safe.

Mazaltan is bad becuase it is in the headquarter state of the Sinaloa drug cartel, the biggest cartel in North America. The US places the same warning for that state as it does for Syria.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

stl07

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:19 pm

Speaking of Acapulco, AA is just now adding flights there. Yes, adding. Tourists don't seem to care
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/acapulco ... ing-danger
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:38 pm

stl07 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Mazaltan is bad becuase it is in the headquarter state of the Sinaloa drug cartel, the biggest cartel in North America. The US places the same warning for that state as it does for Syria.

What exactly are conditions like in Mazatlan that make it so bad.

stl07

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:40 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Mazatlan is bad becuase it is in the headquarter state of the Sinaloa drug cartel, the biggest cartel in North America. The US places the same warning for that state as it does for Syria.

Enjoy

https://www.foxnews.com/world/cruelty-o ... he-streets

stl07

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:42 pm

^^Now obviously, they are smart enough (unlike ISIS, ect) to stay away from the tourists as they know the feds will come after them if they target the tourists and the tourists are a great market to sell to.

Keep in mind, however, that Mazatlan is a tourist city, so they try to play as nice as possible. Now a short drive away in Culican, not so much

stl07

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:57 pm

also it's funny how informative Fox's non-trump reporting is as opposed to their political reporting

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:11 am

Two years ago, two heads that were chopped off in what appeared to be related to cartel violence were found in a cooler in Cabo San Lucas.
https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/dism ... -san-lucas

seb146

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:31 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Two years ago, two heads that were chopped off in what appeared to be related to cartel violence were found in a cooler in Cabo San Lucas.

That is odd because we found Cabo more friendly and peaceful and welcoming than many places in the United States or Canada.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:14 am

stl07 wrote:
^^Now obviously, they are smart enough (unlike ISIS, ect) to stay away from the tourists as they know the feds will come after them if they target the tourists and the tourists are a great market to sell to.

Keep in mind, however, that Mazatlan is a tourist city, so they try to play as nice as possible. Now a short drive away in Culican, not so much

Cartel Violence in Acapulco has actually occurred in tourist areas of the city as well.

casinterest

Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:53 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Cartel Violence in Acapulco has actually occurred in tourist areas of the city as well.

For the most part it is a turf war. Tourists aren't usually a part of the turf wars. So they are usually insulated from the issues present.

It is still horrible what goes on between the cartels, and I am not sure how anyone stops it, but it starts with the locals. Community watch programs, police presence, and harsh enforcement are needed to break the cycle.
Where ever you go, there you are.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:36 am

[quote="casinterest]
It is still horrible what goes on between the cartels, and I am not sure how anyone stops it, but it starts with the locals. Community watch programs, police presence, and harsh enforcement are needed to break the cycle.[/quote]
That would resemble Giuliani's law and order policies for fighting crime in New York City.

luckyone

Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:29 am

seb146 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

That is odd because we found Cabo more friendly and peaceful and welcoming than many places in the United States or Canada.

While that may be, there are plenty of tourists who are more than happy to score on local product. And in Cabo there are plenty of high dollar tourists at that.

BHMNONREV

Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:35 am

luckyone wrote:
seb146 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

While that may be, there are plenty of tourists who are more than happy to score on local product. And in Cabo there are plenty of high dollar tourists at that.

While in Cabo last year, I spoke with some locals and they stated there is an unwritten rule there, if the cartels steer clear of the tourists then the local law enforcement will not go after the cartels. Found the place to be very safe, even walking around with my wife at night.

Now if you have American or Canadian tourists looking to "score", then heads in a cooler should not be a surprise if you cross that line..

melpax

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:35 am

BHMNONREV wrote:
While in Cabo last year, I spoke with some locals and they stated there is an unwritten rule there, if the cartels steer clear of the tourists then the local law enforcement will not go after the cartels. Found the place to be very safe, even walking around with my wife at night.

Now if you have American or Canadian tourists looking to "score", then heads in a cooler should not be a surprise if you cross that line..

I was in Playa del Carmen a couple of years back, and that seemed to be the 'unwritten rule'..

Very safe when walking around, cops & security everywhere, but you had a feeling that trouble wasn't far away.....

Definatly not a destination for solo travellers.....
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

trpmb6

Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Stick to the yucatan.

And I laugh when people mention police presence etc.. The police are half the problem.

Dieuwer

Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Actually, the major "problem" seems to be the Americanization of Mexico. Gone are the quaint cities and towns. In return you get the mega-resorts and cloned shopping malls.
More than a decade ago Playa del Carmen and even downtown Cancun were kinda neat and OK. Nowadays? Myrtle Beach 2.0.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:48 pm

BHMNONREV wrote:
luckyone wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Low level cartel violence was taking place in resort cities like Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Cabo San Lucas for years, but has become more acknowledged in the past couple years.

stl07

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:28 am

stl07 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Mazatlan is bad becuase it is in the headquarter state of the Sinaloa drug cartel, the biggest cartel in North America. The US places the same warning for that state as it does for Syria.

Enjoy

https://www.foxnews.com/world/cruelty-o ... he-streets

Speaking of, look what just broke out today.
https://twitter.com/JustSzerletich/stat ... 6516079616
Culican is trending on twitter and that was one of the first posts I saw. A major shootout involving rocket launchers and amored cars on both sides (Cartel and Police)

WildcatYXU

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:45 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Actually, the major "problem" seems to be the Americanization of Mexico. Gone are the quaint cities and towns. In return you get the mega-resorts and cloned shopping malls.
More than a decade ago Playa del Carmen and even downtown Cancun were kinda neat and OK. Nowadays? Myrtle Beach 2.0.

This only a part of the problem and probably a small one. The big problem is coming from the north as well though. Albeit I can't name it without being subject to personal attacks.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

readytotaxi

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:58 pm

Rumoured to be one of the reasons Virgin Atlantic have dropped the place from their holiday packages/flights.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

BravoOne

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:35 pm

Acapulco use to be a great spot to visit. A few good hotels and plenty of great food. Tragic that it has reverted to gangland violence.

Pyrex

Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:23 pm

And of course, we have the usual a.net contingent claiming the U.S. is to fault for all the problems in the world...
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:25 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Acapulco use to be a great spot to visit. A few good hotels and plenty of great food. Tragic that it has reverted to gangland violence.

Norwegian Joy made it's maiden call in Acapulco today as part of a repositioning cruise from Los Angeles to Miami. Acapulco will see 30 cruise ship visits this year, up from 25 last year.
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... pulco.html

DL717

Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:07 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Have any other Mexican resort cities besides Acapulco actually become no go zones due to drug cartel violence, because I understand that Acapulco has become Mexico's murder capital. Also, cartel violence has increased in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, but not reached the levels of Acapulco.

They all have some element, but yes, Acapulco has become the drug lord paradise. It’s been that way for a while.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:53 pm

DL717 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

They all have some element, but yes, Acapulco has become the drug lord paradise. It’s been that way for a while.

Acapulco become a drug lord paradise in about 2009.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:21 am

At least 19 killed as Mexican cartel battles police and army south of U.S. border

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/th ... story.html

(3) US Carrier Battle Groups Off Mexico! - 11/28/2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhVa5_m-qO4

I have not fact checked this story about the carriers groups being deployed, 2 from the west coast and one from east coast. The question is, is the US about to go to war with Mexico?
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Aaron747

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:52 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
At least 19 killed as Mexican cartel battles police and army south of U.S. border

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/th ... story.html

(3) US Carrier Battle Groups Off Mexico! - 11/28/2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhVa5_m-qO4

I have not fact checked this story about the carriers groups being deployed, 2 from the west coast and one from east coast. The question is, is the US about to go to war with Mexico?

As I have said for years, if Mexico wants to solve this corruption/violence crisis and buy time to do so, they can ask the US to conduct airstrikes on key haciendas and cartel facilities. Things would definitely calm down long enough to work on solutions - like a proper probe of compromised police officials and politicians. But they have to make that call - just like Tom Clancy depicted, there is too much collateral damage for the US to be responsible for otherwise.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty