ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Standardized Testing in California

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:01 am

What exactly does standardized testing look like in California and how does it compare to other states in the USA.

910A

Re: Standardized Testing in California

Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:59 am

What kind of standardized testing are you talking about? Driver's Licenses, 3rd grade, the test to get a barber license, etc?

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:32 am

910A wrote:
What kind of standardized testing are you talking about? Driver's Licenses, 3rd grade, the test to get a barber license, etc?

I am talking about standardized tests used in schools from 3rd grade to 11th grade generally.

Airstud

Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:57 am

I believe in California it is possible to be granted a high school diploma without ever having learned a word of English.
Pancakes are delicious.

Aaron747

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:14 am

Airstud wrote:
I believe in California it is possible to be granted a high school diploma without ever having learned a word of English.

We had district-level exams to receive a diploma in my day. In 2004, the state introduced CAHSEE, a statewide exam with passage required to receive a HS diploma and graduate.

Long story short, the results were embarrassing to a lot of districts and some sued the state. On appeal, the CA supreme court reinstated the test, but then Governor Moonbeam suspended the test in 2015 in search of a ‘better’ solution....so that’s still in limbo.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:41 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

We had district-level exams to receive a diploma in my day. In 2004, the state introduced CAHSEE, a statewide exam with passage required to receive a HS diploma and graduate.

Long story short, the results were embarrassing to a lot of districts and some sued the state. On appeal, the CA supreme court reinstated the test, but then Governor Moonbeam suspended the test in 2015 in search of a ‘better’ solution....so that’s still in limbo.

Good thing the tests in California were suspended as it allows real education to be taught rather than teaching to take a test.

stl07

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:35 pm

Airstud wrote:

???
Link.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

910A

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:09 am

Airstud wrote:

Would seem tough to do, when a student has to take three years of English in high school.

You can get a GED in Spanish or French in all 50 states.