Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Traffic Congestion in Houston and Dallas

Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:27 pm

What exactly is traffic congestion like in Dallas compared to Houston as I understand traffic has gotten worse in Dallas over the past 3 years. I also know that Houston and Dallas have both seem huge population growth over the past 10 years.

QF7

Re: Traffic Congestion in Houston and Dallas

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:46 am

Not sure what you’re asking. Do mean congestion within the city limits of Houston and Dallas or congestion in the whole Houston metro area vs, the entire DFW metroplex?

If anything I would say congestion in the Dallas area has gotten better in the last three years because some road widening projects have been completed.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:53 am

QF7 wrote:
Not sure what you’re asking. Do mean congestion within the city limits of Houston and Dallas or congestion in the whole Houston metro area vs, the entire DFW metroplex?

I am referring to both the city limits and the metro areas.

QF7

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:11 am

I’m going to say that *in general* traffic is better in DFW than in Houston metro. There are exceptions in both directions depending on local bottlenecks and construction/maintenance projects. For example Highway 380 to the far north of DFW is a major problem and will be until the bypass around McKinney gets built. Really depends on what part of the area you’re in and where you’re trying to go (and at what time).

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:17 am

QF7 wrote:
I’m going to say that *in general* traffic is better in DFW than in Houston metro. There are exceptions in both directions depending on local bottlenecks and construction/maintenance projects. For example Highway 380 to the far north of DFW is a major problem and will be until the bypass around McKinney gets built. Really depends on what part of the area you’re in and where you’re trying to go (and at what time).

I live in Garland, a suburb of Dallas and traffic has gotten worse in the Dallas area over the past 3 years.

TWA772LR

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:30 am

Dallas has bad traffic and edges out Houston by quite a margin. But Houston still has its bad spots too and can also get pretty bad. Growth in NE Houston didn't really pick up until after the recession and even for a hot minute after that, so 59/69 has been usually a pretty good drive at all times of the day north of I10.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:45 am

[url][/url]
TWA772LR wrote:
Dallas has bad traffic and edges out Houston by quite a margin. But Houston still has its bad spots too and can also get pretty bad. Growth in NE Houston didn't really pick up until after the recession and even for a hot minute after that, so 59/69 has been usually a pretty good drive at all times of the day north of I10.

How bad is traffic up in Collin County.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:46 am

With the number of people that move into DFW every day, I'd have to say the traffic only gets a little more worse every day.

Dovetails into your previous thread about population:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1432033

QF7

Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:24 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
How bad is traffic up in Collin County.

A couple of posts up you declaratively state that traffic has gotten worse in the Dallas area in the last three years. Then you ask this question? (For those following along elsewhere, Collin County is part of the “Dallas area.”)

Friendly suggestion, depending where you are in Garland you can hop on Bush Turnpike and be in Collin County in 5-10 minutes. A trip that has been VASTLY simplified and sped up since construction of said roadway. Try the newly improved interchange onto US 75 (Central Expressway) by Collin Creek Mall (which has VASTLY improved traffic flow in that section).

Now, it is absolutely true some other roads and areas are worse than they used to be. More vehicles on the road will do that.

But like I said earlier, it depends on where you are and where you are going. I don’t think it is possible to say “Dallas area” is worse than “Houston area” or vice versa. It varies too much depending on local factors and each person’s own experience according to their driving patterns and needs.

zakuivcustom

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Base upon Google Map data...

Yes, DFW Metroplex has worse traffic than Greater Houston, mainly b/c of the way the metro area is shaped. For the Metroplex you got traffic radiating out of Dallas, out of Fort Worth (So the roads between them is a mess), roads like I-635 being congested, and Dallas North Tollway is congested all the way out to Frisco. Ok, Southern Metroplex is actually not that bad but that's b/c all the giant suburbs are either in between the two cities, or north of Dallas.

For Greater Houston, traffic is awful on Western section of the metro (I know...I used to live in Sugar Land), and yes, there is BW8 which is god-awful in rush hour between 59/69 South and 59/69 North (I know...b/c I've try more than once getting to IAH around evening rush hour, and there's simply no good choice). Otherwise, congestions are definitely not as widespread as the Metroplex.

If anything, the Metroplex reminds me of Atlanta. Good luck heading north during evening rush hour (or v.v. in the morning).

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:57 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Base upon Google Map data...

Yes, DFW Metroplex has worse traffic than Greater Houston, mainly b/c of the way the metro area is shaped. For the Metroplex you got traffic radiating out of Dallas, out of Fort Worth (So the roads between them is a mess), roads like I-635 being congested, and Dallas North Tollway is congested all the way out to Frisco. Ok, Southern Metroplex is actually not that bad but that's b/c all the giant suburbs are either in between the two cities, or north of Dallas.

For Greater Houston, traffic is awful on Western section of the metro (I know...I used to live in Sugar Land), and yes, there is BW8 which is god-awful in rush hour between 59/69 South and 59/69 North (I know...b/c I've try more than once getting to IAH around evening rush hour, and there's simply no good choice). Otherwise, congestions are definitely not as widespread as the Metroplex.

If anything, the Metroplex reminds me of Atlanta. Good luck heading north during evening rush hour (or v.v. in the morning).

What is traffic like in Frisco, as that is where much of DFW's population growth is taking place.

blueflyer

Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:47 am

In DFW, traffic is generally bad on the North South axis, and a bit easier on the West-East roads. It takes about as much time to go to the Dallas CBD from downtown Ft Worth (30 miles) as it does from Far North Dallas (15 miles).

I don't get around Houston enough to compare. All I know there's always traffic from downtown to IAH, and from IAH to The Woodlands, no matter what time I do the journey.

zakuivcustom

Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:39 pm

blueflyer wrote:
I don't get around Houston enough to compare. All I know there's always traffic from downtown to IAH, and from IAH to The Woodlands, no matter what time I do the journey.

From Downtown to IAH if you drive on 59/69N it's actually not that bad even in peak hours (Evening rush). IAH to The Woodlands is actually not that bad on Hardy Toll Road (until you got to the 45N interchange anyway).

Otherwise, in Houston most roads get better once you're outside of 610-Loop. I-10 is the exception, as there's the Energy Corridor (I-10W between TX-6 and BW8) traffic. Western leg of BW8 (59S to TX-249) is also bad as it goes through Westchase District/Memorial Area with traffic going both north and south from those places.

slider

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:37 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
blueflyer wrote:

From Downtown to IAH if you drive on 59/69N it's actually not that bad even in peak hours (Evening rush). IAH to The Woodlands is actually not that bad on Hardy Toll Road (until you got to the 45N interchange anyway).

Otherwise, in Houston most roads get better once you're outside of 610-Loop. I-10 is the exception, as there's the Energy Corridor (I-10W between TX-6 and BW8) traffic. Western leg of BW8 (59S to TX-249) is also bad as it goes through Westchase District/Memorial Area with traffic going both north and south from those places.

Actually, I've noticed over the past few years that the Eastex has gotten MUCH worse in peak hours. it used to be hands down the best major artery into and out of downtown, but it's getting pretty bogged down with all the growth on the far NE side of Houston.

The Katy Freeway sucks ass. Gulf Freeway too. And 45 from downtown to the Woodlands stinks on ice. Come to think of it, traffic just stinks period in this town. 610 is a nightmare, Beltway 8 during afternoon rush is OK but depends on where.

Being an omnidirectional city, unlike the Metroplex, has it's disadvantages.

zakuivcustom

Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:54 pm

BTW...finally find some numbers to back everything up.

https://mobility.tamu.edu/texas-most-co ... -roadways/

Out of Top 10 most congested roadways, Harris Co has 5 on the list (The usual suspect...I-610 West Loop, 59 near Greenway Plaza, 59 Downtown Section, I-10 West around Energy Corridor, and I-45N). DFW Metroplex has 4 (TX-366 in Downtown, I-35W North from Fort Worth, Stemmons Corridor, and US75N from Downtown Dallas to 635), with the forever congested I-35 in Austin (The section between 71 and 290 aka the "Central section") rounding things out.

After that, Houston dominates, though, with 7 out of the next 10 (I-45S Gulf Freeway between Downtown and 610, TX-288 between Downtown and 610, I-10 West near Memorial Area (between 610 and BW8), Downtown segment of I-10 (The part between I-45 and 59) follow by the segment west of that between 610 West Loop and I-45, the northern section of 610 West Loop [I-10 to I-45], and lastly, I-45 between Downtown and 610 North Loop), DFW Metroplex with only 1 (US75N north of 635 aka the section north of the one in Top 10), with SA (US-281 from Downtown to 410) and of course, Austin (I-35 South of Downtown). Mopac is right after that at #21.

Roads like I-30 East of Downtown Dallas at #26, Northeastern section of 635 (US75 to US-80E) at #30, Dallas North Tollway (The section between 635 and Bush Tollway) comes in at #35.
For Houston, 290 comes in at #24 and #25 from 610 to TX-6 (Divided into two section at the Beltway), I-45S between 610 and BW8 comes in at #27, Southern part of 610 West Loop (59 to 288) at #34. Then there's stuff like FM1960 (249 to 45, which is a major commercial corridor) at #32 being the top non-expressway on the list.

Conclusion? I guess Houston does have worse traffic than the Metroplex.