Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dieuwer

Re: Geographic places often mispronounced

Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:03 pm

Pretty much every Dutch word pronounced by an American is mispronounced.

ER757

Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:51 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Snohomish, Washington.

Sequim, Washington.

Speaking of Washington, how do you pronounce the following - Tulalip & Puyallup?

Two-Lay-Lip
Pew-al-up

TSS

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:09 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Cut us some slack, dude... We're trying our best not to sound like the Swedish* Chef- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN1hL9cn7s0

* We're well aware that The Netherlands and Sweden are entirely different countries, but to someone who speaks neither Dutch nor Swedish the two languages kind of sound similar.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

masi1157

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:18 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

That is probably true for just about every non-english word pronounced by an American.

TSS wrote:
* We're well aware that The Netherlands and Sweden are entirely different countries, but to someone who speaks neither Dutch nor Swedish the two languages kind of sound similar.

I speak neither Dutch nor Swedish, but I can easily tell the difference.

Gruß, masi1157
517 different segments on 101 airlines to 212 airports in 55 countries

luckyone

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:34 pm

masi1157 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

That is probably true for just about every non-english word pronounced by an American.

TSS wrote:

Gruß, masi1157

Well that's significantly off topic and a broad generalization that can easily be applied to anyone speaking a language that is not native to them. For example, Germans consistently confusing the English pronunciation of the letters "w" and "v."

Braybuddy

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:39 pm

masi1157 wrote:

In fairness, couldn't that apply to most people in every nationality? Unless you have some knowledge of the language you're not going to know how a word is pronounced.

Dieuwer

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:52 pm

luckyone wrote:
masi1157 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

TSS wrote:

Gruß, masi1157

Well that's significantly off topic and a broad generalization that can easily be applied to anyone speaking a language that is not native to them. For example, Germans consistently confusing the English pronunciation of the letters "w" and "v."

No, it is not off-topic. Because the OP used the word "often" in the title, which in itself is a generalization.
If you want to limit the conversation, the title should have been something like: "Geographic places in the USA mispronounced by non-resident Americans".

masi1157

Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:10 pm

luckyone wrote:

If you heard Germans making that mistake, they must at least have tried to pronounce english words. The german pronounciation of "w" and "v" would be close to the english "v" and "f", and that would sound very different. On the other hand I hardly ever heard Americans even trying to pronounce german words the german way. But yes of course, there are a few exceptions.

Braybuddy wrote:
In fairness, couldn't that apply to most people in every nationality? Unless you have some knowledge of the language you're not going to know how a word is pronounced.

The big difference here is: Very many Europeans might not really speak that many foreign languages (well, most speak a bit of english and usually another foreign language like french/spanish...), but they do have some idea of how places in neighbouring countries are pronounced.

Gruß, masi1157
517 different segments on 101 airlines to 212 airports in 55 countries

Braybuddy

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:53 pm

masi1157 wrote:
but they do have some idea of how places in neighbouring countries are pronounced.

Well that's not too difficult, being neighbours. They've possibly visited the place, or, more likely, heard it pronounced.

aviationaware

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:51 pm

If I heard one more tourist on the subway mispronounce Houston Street I might explode.

ChrisKen

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:49 pm

Redd wrote:
TSS wrote:
Redd wrote:
Can't beat Poland for this.... lol

I'll see your Polish and raise you a Welsh-

I think you've one up'd me there...

Ah but he hasn't. The long name is just a marketing gimmick from the late 19th century.
Even the railway station, proudly bearing the long name is officially called name as the much shorter and original Llanfairpwll.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll is the village's officially used name. Used by the council, signed and mapped as such.

Dieuwer

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:56 pm

aviationaware wrote:
If I heard one more tourist on the subway mispronounce Houston Street I might explode.

Why is the train station in London called "Euston" while in Dublin it is called "Heuston"? Or have these names nothing do to with each other?

ChrisKen

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:18 am

London Euston station(Ewe-ston as in gone) got it's name because the Dukes of Grafton owned the what was then farmland the station was built on. They named it after their country seat, Euston Hall in Suffolk.
As for the Irish, Euston is a boys name meaning 'heart' but the railway station in Dublin called Heuston is named after Seán Heuston, an executed easter-rising leader (so nothing to do with each other).

mad99

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:38 am

When i use google maps for directions on my phone when driving. The google is in English and I’m in Spain so every location is mispronounced. It’s almost like a new language

zakuivcustom

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:33 pm

offloaded wrote:
When you've finished discussing Worcester, you can move on to Gloucester.

(Random guess) Glow-s-tah? (I'm using the HK Chinese transliteration as my basis...)

aviationaware wrote:

It's clearly "Hew (or Hue)-sten", which is THE correct way to pronounce Houston :duck:

EA CO AS

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:48 pm

FatCat wrote:
I still do not know how the city Tucson has to be pronounced.
I was there and pronounced Tukson. Pronouncing "the hard C".
Someone said Tuson, someone Tuison, someone pronounced like me...

Too-sahn. That’s how it’s pronounced.

Many places in AZ aren’t pronounced the way they’re spelled, though:

Mogollon Rim - (Muggy-on Rim)
Canyon de Chelly (Canyon de Shay)
Prescott (Press-kit)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Braybuddy

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:55 am

ChrisKen wrote:
As for the Irish, Euston is a boys name meaning 'heart' but the railway station in Dublin called Heuston is named after Seán Heuston, an executed easter-rising leader (so nothing to do with each other).

News to me! The Irish for heart is croí, so I don't know where you're coming from there. I've never even come across the word "euston" in Irish and it doesn't even sound like a Gaelic word. :scratchchin:

You are right about the naming of Heuston Station though. A number train stations in large towns and cities were renamed after leaders from the 1916 Risisng on its 50th anniversary in 1966. :checkmark:

ChrisKen

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:29 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
heart is croí, so I don't know where you're coming from there.

Fair enough, although as it's a name meaning 'heart' could mean anything from courage, strength to loving or more simply just plain old bollocks.

Euston/Heuston would appear to be either from a bastardisation of Efe's Tun (Efe's Place) or Hugh's son.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:52 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
offloaded wrote:

(Random guess) Glow-s-tah? (I'm using the HK Chinese transliteration as my basis...)

A.net to the rescue (again)
What company is responsible for all these aircraft?

Answer; these are the E28/39, Meteor (lots of Meteors) and three Javelins, all from the Gloucestershire Aircraft Company, or "Gloster" for short. :lol:
It really is that simple.
Unless you are telling me you have never heard of the Gloster Meteor? (FWIW both Meteors and Javelins were based at RAF Kai Tak)

(Thx as usual to a.net and Wikipedia)
Nothing to see here; move along please.

ChrisKen

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:33 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
offloaded wrote:

A.net to the rescue (again)
What company is responsible for all these aircraft?

Answer; these are the E28/39, Meteor (lots of Meteors) and three Javelins, all from the Gloucestershire Aircraft Company, or "Gloster" for short. :lol:
It really is that simple.
Unless you are telling me you have never heard of the Gloster Meteor? (FWIW both Meteors and Javelins were based at RAF Kai Tak)

(Thx as usual to a.net and Wikipedia)

Gloss-ter as in her.

Cadet985

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:42 pm

Newark, NJ and Newark, DE.

Newark, NJ is pronounced “New-irk”
Newark, DE is pronounced “New-ark.”