Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dieuwer
Topic Author

Protests everywhere!

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:20 pm

What's up with all these protests all over the globe this year?
I have seen protests in Chile, France, Hong Kong, Lebanon, The Netherlands, Spain, UK, etc. Is there some undercurrent that ties these things together? It almost feels like we are at the end of an era with just one step away from going over the edge and into the abyss.

ArchGuy1

Re: Protests everywhere!

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:38 pm

Protests have also taken place in Sudan, Egypt, Algeria, Iraq, and Ukraine.

DTVG

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:39 am

Quite obviously the CIA and Soros stirring up some trouble.

dmg626

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:00 am

Dieuwer wrote:
What's up with all these protests all over the globe this year?
I have seen protests in Chile, France, Hong Kong, Lebanon, The Netherlands, Spain, UK, etc. Is there some undercurrent that ties these things together? It almost feels like we are at the end of an era with just one step away from going over the edge and into the abyss.

Read a history book or two, been happening for years

Pyrex

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:32 am

The protests in Chile are all about leftists not knowing how to lose elections, as usual - clearly missing a few helicopter rides.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

zakuivcustom

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:08 pm

And protest in Haiti also...
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-50123823

Dieuwer wrote:
Is there some undercurrent that ties these things together? It almost feels like we are at the end of an era with just one step away from going over the edge and into the abyss.

Not really...

For protests in "developing" countries, it's often economic - i.e. the economic mess in Iraq or Haiti, new tax in Lebanon, end of fuel subsidies in Ecuador (Ended), the subway fare increase in Santiago, Chile.
Then there is political movements - i.e. Catalan independence in Barcelona, Brexit-related protests in London and Belfast, or those climate protests (i.e. XR).
Then there is things like controversial laws, like Hong Kong (which, although evolved into a pro-Democracy movements, starts out as anti-extradition law revision) or Indonesia for the RUU KPK revision (Encompassing many things).

DTVG wrote:

Come on...it's clearly the Russians. :duck:

But ultimately, protests had been going on for years. Often time many protests around the world (especially in "developing" countries) are barely reported in western media anyway.

EDIT:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-50123743

Pretty similar to how I summarized the ongoing protests. Income Equality and Corruption are tied together under "economy" for me as it's often a perception of a totally out of touch elites/govt controlling everything, and using their power to get even more for themselves (aka corruption), which in turn mean the "common people" has nothing (aka income inequality), that resulted in massive protests.

anrec80

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:13 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Come on...it's clearly the Russians. :duck:

Russians don’t stir protests. Russians meddle elections. :lol: :lol: :lol:

anrec80

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:17 pm

DTVG wrote:

Who knows whether CIA or Soros have anything to do with it (though the latter’s funds a-la Open Society are specializing in this kind of stuff). However - too many things done during these protests in different counties are neatly identical, be it Ukraine, Hong Kong, Barcelona. This certainly does create an impression that there are the same people with the same approaches and competencies behind these events.

VSMUT

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:29 pm

El Nino year. Raises the temperatures, putting people more on the edge than usual. Throw in a good dose of problems that haven't been attended to, and it will all explode.

KL785

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:32 am

[list=][/list]
Pyrex wrote:
The protests in Chile are all about leftists not knowing how to lose elections, as usual - clearly missing a few helicopter rides.

Calling the chilean left undemocratic while making fun of thousands of murdered victims of a right wing dictatorship established after the right lost elections.

This has to be the gold standard of trolling for future generations. Congratulations!

MaverickM11

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:47 am

Pyrex wrote:

Promoting murder of people you don't like...not surprising at all...
I don't take responsibility at all

seat64k

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:02 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
I have seen protests in Chile, France, Hong Kong, Lebanon, The Netherlands, Spain, UK, etc. Is there some undercurrent that ties these things together?

Maybe between some of those, but not necessarily. The Hong Kong protests are specifically about Beijing's power grab in Hong Kong and its brazen disregarding the terms of the handover agreement it signed.

Pyrex

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:49 pm

KL785 wrote:
[list=][/list]
Pyrex wrote:

Calling the chilean left undemocratic while making fun of thousands of murdered victims of a right wing dictatorship established after the right lost elections.

This has to be the gold standard of trolling for future generations. Congratulations!

If the NY Times can publish articles saying that Soviet women had better sex, I can at least acknowledge the reality that Chile is by far the most advanced country in Latin America (frankly, more advanced than most Western countries, in many respects), and Pinochet, like him or not, had a lot of responsibility in that. Sure, he killed a few people, but Allende was basically a Chavez before there was a Chavez, surrounded by Cuban goons - looking at Venezuela these days it is unclear the total number of people killed, had he remained in power, would have been any different. Also, he ultimately left power peacefully and voluntarily, which is more than can be said of any left-wing dictator anywhere in the world.

I know it must mess up your entire view of the world, but sometimes there is no good solution, just a least-bad option.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Gonzalo

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:33 pm

While I'm seeing some people here criticizing the dark humor of Pyrex to say the things, truth is, inappropriate jokes apart, he is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT about the roots of this Chilean crisis. Communist, hard leftist, supported by Maduro, Russia and other evil powers can not deal with the reality. They desperately needs to show Chile as a failure, as a demonstration of the capitalist system not providing solutions, and sadly, some empty skulls, buy this. Not surprise that those same empty skulls are looting and destroying everything they can, their philosophy is to level downwards, their mediocrity has to be the standard.

Rgds.
G.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

extender

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:37 am

Pyrex is on the money. It is sad that people will excuse the conduct of malfeasance but become appalled at a joke about a helicopter ride. Why doe all these liberals that live under an umbrella of freewill desire to surrender their way of life for chains. Metaphorical chains, before the usual suspects howl in protest. You have one member here who lives there and is telling it like it is, yet you all are telling him he is wrong from the safety and anonymity of your keyboards.

You don't cure cancer by dialoguing with it.