Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Oil Rigs With Public Observation Decks

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:23 am

Are there any operating oil derricks or oil rigs at oil fields with public observation decks near the top to look out over the skyline and surrounding area. If so, what is the experience like there as a tourist.

BlueberryWheats

Re: Oil Rigs With Public Observation Decks

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:30 am

I imagine that would be extremely boring. Probably not much to observe in an oil field.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

flyingclrs727

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:05 am

I can't imagine the insurance companies being interested in covering the risks associated with the general public being allowed to get on a drilling rig. The rigs are only in place while Wells are being drilled, completed, serviced, recompleted, or plugged. They aren't permanent structures.

ACDC8

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:25 am

Ummm, yeah, no. That would be a safety/insurance nightmare having Joe Blow mucking around a worksite.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Kiwirob

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:41 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
I can't imagine the insurance companies being interested in covering the risks associated with the general public being allowed to get on a drilling rig. The rigs are only in place while Wells are being drilled, completed, serviced, recompleted, or plugged. They aren't permanent structures.

There are plenty of permanent rigs, the North Sea, Gulf of Mexico, Brazilian Shelf, Caspian Sea have hundreds of permanent manned structures which all come under the generic term oil rig. You're talking about floaters, the OP I think is referring to permanent facilities like production and processing platforms.

BartSimpson

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:12 am

Not an oil rig, but a wind turbine with a public observation desk:

https://begehbarewindenergieanlage.jimdo.com/english/

VSMUT

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:33 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
look out over the skyline and surrounding area.

What skyline? Have you ever been to the sea? Oil rigs are not exactly located close to the shore, getting there is expensive.

E2

Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:01 pm

There is no room for tourists on drilling rigs or FPSOs, everyone on board is there to do a job and no-one has time to mollycoddle sightseers. In most offshore areas there are a number of essential qualifications required for all those on the unit, whether it's the person who runs the laundry or the lead tool pusher. This link covers the basics, although there are some regional variations:

https://downloads.opito.com/downloads/Standards/basic-emergency-response/bosietfoethuet-with-ebs-revision-5-amendment-8-available-from-1st-november-2018.pdf?mtime=20181106142539

Add to that the necessity for a "working at heights" permit to even get to the viewing platform, plus all of the work permissions required for a climb, the support personnel involved, and it's pretty much a no-go. As VSMUT pointed out, what do you expect to see? The platforms I work on are typically 300-400 km from the coast, all there is out there is a few other platforms and support ships.

If you want to survey the horizon and not much else why not just go on a cruise? At least they have a bar on board.
I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It’s not. Mine had me trained in two days. (Bill Dana)

flyingclrs727

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:24 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

There are plenty of permanent rigs, the North Sea, Gulf of Mexico, Brazilian Shelf, Caspian Sea have hundreds of permanent manned structures which all come under the generic term oil rig. You're talking about floaters, the OP I think is referring to permanent facilities like production and processing platforms.

I thought you were talking about land based oil rigs. Still the same issues would apply to offshore platforms. Insurance companies and government regulatory agencies are not going to support allowing people who are unnecessary to the operation of the platform to be there. There are lots of heavy pieces of equipment being movery around in a confined space.

einsteinboricua

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:43 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Not an oil rig, but a wind turbine with a public observation desk

Ah yes. A cancerous room! Probably worse that Chernobyl!!
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Erebus

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:22 pm

There's not much to see from above. But if you are diving enthusiast, there could be quite a lot to see under. Over time, some of these rigs develop really complex rich ecosystems in the middle of what's otherwise deep open water devoid of much life.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/some-of-the-best-new-dive-spots-are-under-oil-rigs

Okie

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:36 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Are there any operating oil derricks or oil rigs at oil fields with public observation decks near the top to look out over the skyline and surrounding area. If so, what is the experience like there as a tourist.

Any of the land based old derricks that were left over from 40's-50's have been removed because of liability issues from people climbing them and falling or the few that were turned into observation with a platform and steps could not get insurance so were scrapped as well.
The observation deck at Six Flags of Texas is the only one that I am aware of that has elevators and enclosed enough that some one could not fall and I am not sure they still have it open. I has been a while since I have gone to Six Flags, the children have grown so waiting on grand children.

Rigs these days are not permanent structures although we do mount remote operated cameras in the derrick on most.
About the only interesting thing I have seen scanning around was a group of wolfs cutting out a calf from a heard of cattle and a bob cat chasing down and catching a deer. Just too far away and no telescopic lens.
You would get a better idea of the event watching wild kingdom or similar program.

Okie

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:14 pm

Okie wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Any of the land based old derricks that were left over from 40's-50's have been removed because of liability issues from people climbing them and falling or the few that were turned into observation with a platform and steps could not get insurance so were scrapped as well.
The observation deck at Six Flags of Texas is the only one that I am aware of that has elevators and enclosed enough that some one could not fall and I am not sure they still have it open. I has been a while since I have gone to Six Flags, the children have grown so waiting on grand children.

Rigs these days are not permanent structures although we do mount remote operated cameras in the derrick on most.
About the only interesting thing I have seen scanning around was a group of wolfs cutting out a calf from a heard of cattle and a bob cat chasing down and catching a deer. Just too far away and no telescopic lens.
You would get a better idea of the event watching wild kingdom or similar program.

Okie

The Oil Derrick at Six Flags is still open, just not in high winds.

seb146

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:57 pm

I have seen oil rigs in Kansas and southern California. Not much to see in Kansas or around Bakersfield. If a person is looking for a view of the Southern California coast from the sea, probably better to charter a fishing expedition out of Santa Barbara or sail to Catalina. I have heard there are still active oil wells in Los Angeles cleverly disguised as buildings. If one were going that route, I would think it would be more exiting to go to the top of Wilshire Grand or USBank Tower.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:12 am

seb146 wrote:
I have heard there are still active oil wells in Los Angeles cleverly disguised as buildings.

The ones in Carson and Harbor City are cleverly disguised as Oil Wells.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Okie wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Okie

What are some examples of oil derricks from the 1940's and 1950's that were converted to observation platforms for the public.