steveinbc
Topic Author

Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:24 am

I know it's a rather leading question but I should admire a 16 year old that has the confidence and communication skills to face the world's press and talk to governments about her beliefs. But she drives me insane when I hear her speak and especially when she uses her lecturing tone. Apparently she had Asbergers which again should solicit sympathy but even allowing for that she still makes me grit my teeth.
Your thoughts regarding her?
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

N583JB

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:33 am

She's a child. I don't find her particularly annoying, but then again I don't pay much attention to her. What I do find annoying is the suggestion that she is off limits for criticism simply because she is a child, but the same people who suggest this were the first ones to try and ruin Nick Sandmann's life for simply having the audacity to wear a red hat. Can't have it both ways.

T18

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:42 am

Not anymore so than any other 16 year old.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

einsteinboricua

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:45 am

Notice how she has faded from existence...
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

steveinbc
Topic Author

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:50 am

T18 wrote:
Not anymore so than any other 16 year old.

Ha ha. :x maybe that's all it is after all!!
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:59 am

Who's Greta Thunberg?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

trpmb6

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:14 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

She served her purpose and is no longer newsworthy.

Kind of like how noone talks about all those caged up children on the border.

Or how we forgot that whole Epstein thing.

777222LR

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:15 am

I haven't listened to her speak much, though I give her credit. If you are annoyed by a 16 year old, and you are an adult, you should probably focus on the really annoying adults. Far more annoying adults.

Aaron747

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:21 am

777222LR wrote:
I haven't listened to her speak much, though I give her credit. If you are annoyed by a 16 year old, and you are an adult, you should probably focus on the really annoying adults. Far more annoying adults.

Agreed, I find adults who willfully reject science and reason highly irritating, as these are literally the two foundational elements of all we have achieved as a species.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

afcjets

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:43 am

N583JB wrote:
She's a child. I don't find her particularly annoying, but then again I don't pay much attention to her. What I do find annoying is the suggestion that she is off limits for criticism simply because she is a child, but the same people who suggest this were the first ones to try and ruin Nick Sandmann's life for simply having the audacity to wear a red hat. Can't have it both ways.

When I first heard she was 16, I was shocked. I thought she was much younger. I heard it was intentional, similar to how Christine Balsey Ford, where videos on YouTube of her speaking were removed because she actually talks like an adult instead of a little girl like she did for the entire Brett Kavanaugh confirmation hearings. If you speak out against what a terrified little girl says you will be branded a hateful person, so you better keep your mouth shut if you disagree with them.

einsteinboricua

Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:17 am

777222LR wrote:

I applaud that she found a cause she believes in and is working to raise awareness. I am annoyed at 16 year old telling me that she has had a ruined childhood because I choose to drive instead of taking public transport.

I think the issue is both the messenger as much as the message itself. World leaders stole her childhood? I believe Syrian/Iraqi/Yemeni/Kurdish children have a much larger case to make about a ruined childhood than a girl that lives in a country with one of the highest standards of living. And while climate change is a subject that world leaders must eventually tackle, there are more pressing issues to deal with in many areas.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

DIRECTFLT

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:40 am

I find her amusing, but, I admit, I only view her with the sound off. The speaking part is annoying.

I think she should hook up with David Hogg and go ahead and spawn the Anti-Christ.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

usflyer msp

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:12 am

Even though I would probably tend to agree with her on alot of things, I can't stand her. I just find her personality and speaking style to be incredibly grating and insulting. She does no favors for the environmental movement outside of the left leaning bubble.

tommy1808

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:26 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
And while climate change is a subject that world leaders must eventually tackle, there are more pressing issues to deal with in many areas.

Not sure that is correct as one often overlooked aspect of climate change is that the effects would essentially double over night if we stopped emitting any CO2 at all right now and it already is quite a good killer as it it....
It will literally get a lot worse before it gets better, regardless of what we do

usflyer msp wrote:
Even though I would probably tend to agree with her on alot of things, I can't stand her. I just find her personality and speaking style to be incredibly grating and insulting.

So, just like any other teen with passion for an issue?

She does no favors for the environmental movement outside of the left leaning bubble.

Science doesn't care about your feelings, why should she?

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I think she should hook up with David Hogg and go ahead and spawn the Anti-Christ.

I guess I missed all the "get more weapons" talks of Jesus....

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Who's Greta Thunberg?

One of the generation of kids that grew up without leaded gasoline....

trpmb6 wrote:
Kind of like how noone talks about all those caged up children on the border.

Or how we forgot that whole Epstein thing.

Only in your media bubble, both came up in headlines in the last couple of days.

777222LR wrote:

Generally people don't get annoyed unless someone hits a spot...

I find annoying that she sees the, real, problem from a fairly strict rich first world perspective. But then again, she is just 16, and probably beats any climate change denier in most IQ tests still... maybe that is why many are annoyed by her.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

extender

Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:32 am

Yes she is annoying. Yes she was used like pawn. No, there was nothing heroic. Anybody believing she was worthy of the Peace Prize believes in unicorns too.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:19 pm

Children should be seen and not heard said my parents. Still a good idea.

TWA772LR

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:12 pm

She's a pretty good singer. :)
https://youtu.be/1kD1zubg3cA
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Kiwirob

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:26 pm

She’s a child who should be in school, the only person taking her future away from her is her.

There are hundreds of millions of children all over the world living in abject poverty and we are supposed to take this child from a wealthy and privileged family seriously????

AirPacific747

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:32 pm

I find that she’s not very constructive in her use of rhetoric. But not annoying, just maybe not worth spending energy on.

slider

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:43 pm

She's a pawn of the envirocultists. Hell, she's their matron saint at this point.

Her parents are also linked to Antifa.

I'm sure she'll grow up to be a lovely young lady. Not an angry leftist shrew at all.

ER757

Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:15 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
777222LR wrote:

I applaud that she found a cause she believes in and is working to raise awareness. I am annoyed at 16 year old telling me that she has had a ruined childhood because I choose to drive instead of taking public transport.

I think the issue is both the messenger as much as the message itself. World leaders stole her childhood? I believe Syrian/Iraqi/Yemeni/Kurdish children have a much larger case to make about a ruined childhood than a girl that lives in a country with one of the highest standards of living. And while climate change is a subject that world leaders must eventually tackle, there are more pressing issues to deal with in many areas.

Great minds think alike - you pretty much summed up my feelings in a nutshell.

seat64k

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:10 pm

I find her profoundly patronising. "You stole my childhood!" Sod off. But she's 16, and I remember what an idiot I was at 16, so I'm willing to tune her out and not think much about it.

What I am very annoyed by is the people that enable her and others like the extinction rebellion idiots. I don't believe that these people are serious about the environment. It seems entirely political - they can barely contain their anti-capitalist sentimetns.

If they were truly serious about the 1.5ºC problem, they'd be protesting China and India. They'd be fully on board with Nuclear as a short- to medium term solution to get rid of fossil fuels while we try to figure out how to make renewables work. But they don't. They claim the UK has done nothing to address climate change - a claim so preposterous it's hard to take anything they say serious.

I've posted this in another thread so I won't go into the details here, but in short, with one or two exceptions, the carbon emissions for developed economiies have all decreased - in most cases substantially - over the last 20 years. Europe and the US both dropped around 16% at the same time as China's output increased 73% and India doubled.

Pissing and moaning at the developed economiies is like hearing that the dam is about to burst and standing 4 miles downstream with a mop.

tommy1808

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:05 am

slider wrote:

You do realise that beeing "antifa" (=being against fascism) is only a bad thing among US right wing conservatives, right? There is no organisation "Antifa" outside your delusions.

But interesting to see that you seem to fall for any BS conveyed to you by photoshopped fake imagery.

Best regards
Thomas

Airstud

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:09 am

steveinbc wrote:
Apparently she had Asbergers which again should solicit sympathy

Well no it shouldn't, since the "syndrome" doesn't exist.
Pancakes are delicious.

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:43 am

tommy1808 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Who's Greta Thunberg?

:lol: Now I feel old, because I actually remember the transition to unleaded here in Malaysia way back in the early 1990s!
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:14 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Who's Greta Thunberg?

What in the hell is google?

Airstud wrote:
steveinbc wrote:
Apparently she had Asbergers which again should solicit sympathy

Well no it shouldn't, since the "syndrome" doesn't exist.

I do not believe that is the case. And I do think most medical professionals will disagree.

I do agree, however, that it is very likely over-diagnosed. I would liken it the ADHD of the 2010s.

I would also never allow that to excuse poor social hygiene.

As for Greta Thunberg, I think if a grown man has a problem with her message, that is far more trait-indicative of the reciever.

She has edges that need polishing. But we have also a planet that needs environmental maintenance. So there is that. . .
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

tommy1808

Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:58 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Who's Greta Thunberg?

:lol: Now I feel old, because I actually remember the transition to unleaded here in Malaysia way back in the early 1990s!

Well.. we transitioned earlier, that makes me feel even older.. :)

Best regards
Thomas

ACDC8

Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:30 am

Yes. Just like any other ecocultist.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

1989worstyear

Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:50 am

Kiwirob wrote:
She’s a child who should be in school, the only person taking her future away from her is her.

There are hundreds of millions of children all over the world living in abject poverty and we are supposed to take this child from a wealthy and privileged family seriously????

She's 16. She's less than one year from being an adult in NZ, and they say the logical centers of the brain are done developing by 16 (inhibitions are developed until the early 20's though).
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

Kiwirob

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:02 am

1989worstyear wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

She's 16. She's less than one year from being an adult in NZ, and they say the logical centers of the brain are done developing by 16 (inhibitions are developed until the early 20's though).

She’s not a Kiwi she’s Swedish and has three more years of upper secondary schooling before she’s finished her basic education.

bgm

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:09 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I find her amusing, but, I admit, I only view her with the sound off. The speaking part is annoying.

Oh Gramps, are you off your meds again? :rotfl:

Whether or not you find her annoying is irrelevant. It's her message we should be paying attention to. Your generation have left a terrible mess for the younger ones to clean up. The very least you can do is put up with her voice, given what you've done (by you, I mean your generation, not you specifically).

ACDC8

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:22 am

bgm wrote:
Whether or not you find her annoying is irrelevant.

Ummm, actually it is quite relavent. Thats the very question of this thread.

bgm wrote:
Your generation have left a terrible mess for the younger ones to clean up.

Your generation is just as "guilty" as any other generation.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Subwayfan1998

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:35 am

Nope, I Think she a Smart Girl but only thing she is wrong about Airplane being biggest polluters and contributes to Climate Change/Global Warming which it makes 2% of Co2, while fossil fuels and clothes like Polyester/Spandex/Nylon contribute far more pollution, Climate Change and Global Warming than Airplanes does.

Dutchy

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:08 am

steveinbc wrote:
Your thoughts regarding her?

A shame that a 16-year/old needs to devote her time to this. It is a colossal failure of the world community (=adults) not addressing the most urgent problem we - as humankind - is facing.

Addressing the climate issue is the most selfish thing we can do as humankind, the earth will survive fine without humans, you can argue, even better without humans, the other way around not so much.

In the meantime, some relieve for everyone
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

readytotaxi

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:35 am

I feel that we have done the most damage to this planet in just the last 120yrs, we have learnt to destroy on a massive scale. When your ignorance is pointed out we find that annoying, left to our own divices we will probably not be here in another 120yrs. If the young lady is annoying it's because everything comes at a price.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

N583JB

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:13 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
slider wrote:

You do realise that beeing "antifa" (=being against fascism) is only a bad thing among US right wing conservatives, right? There is no organisation "Antifa" outside your delusions.

But interesting to see that you seem to fall for any BS conveyed to you by photoshopped fake imagery.

Best regards
Thomas

Demonstrably untrue. Antifa's antics were labeled as "domestic terorrism" by none other than the Obama administration. Seems as if DHS and the FBI know a lot more about this violent group than you or I.

https://www.newsweek.com/are-antifa-terrorists-658396

bgm

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Looks like several a.net members in this thread were featured in this video. :duck:

bgm

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:17 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Children should be seen and not heard said my parents. Still a good idea.

Considering the verbal diarrhea from the old men here acting like badly behaved children, I couldn't agree more. ;)

Redd

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:36 pm

bgm wrote:
It's her message we should be paying attention to.

:rotfl: . #givegretabackherchildhood

Really though. I don't find her annoying. She's 16, most 16 year old's are annoying. It's her die-hard supporters who I find annoying. Especially those whom have reached adulthood.

tommy1808

Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:15 pm

N583JB wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
slider wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Demonstrably untrue. Antifa's antics were labeled as "domestic terorrism" by none other than the Obama administration. Seems as if DHS and the FBI know a lot more about this violent group than you or I.

Bullshit. Your source doesn't even support your claim. Try reading it before you spread such lies. The last attempt to brand antifa as domestic terrorist group, via non-binding resolution, failed.just a few month ago and consequently they don't show up on any applicable list anywhere.

There is no organisation "antifa" anyone could label a domestic terrorist organisation. Are there people that call themselves a part of antifa that commit terrorist acts, but there are also, many more btw, Trump supporters that do so and I guess you and I would both agree that labeling the Trump campaign a domestic terrorist organisation would be out of place, although according to FBI domestic terrorism data that is about an order of magnitude more justified.

Show me a list of domestic terrorist groups that contains an organisation "Antifa" or what you call "demonstrably" true is very obviously untrue. But a common talking point among US right wingers.

Best regards
Thomas

N583JB

Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:12 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
N583JB wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Bullshit. Your source doesn't even support your claim. Try reading it before you spread such lies. The last attempt to brand antifa as domestic terrorist group, via non-binding resolution, failed.just a few month ago and consequently they don't show up on any applicable list anywhere.

There is no organisation "antifa" anyone could label a domestic terrorist organisation. Are there people that call themselves a part of antifa that commit terrorist acts, but there are also, many more btw, Trump supporters that do so and I guess you and I would both agree that labeling the Trump campaign a domestic terrorist organisation would be out of place, although according to FBI domestic terrorism data that is about an order of magnitude more justified.

Show me a list of domestic terrorist groups that contains an organisation "Antifa" or what you call "demonstrably" true is very obviously untrue. But a common talking point among US right wingers.

Best regards
Thomas

I didn't say that antifa was a terror group....I said that it has been responsible for domestic terrorism, which is exactly what the Obama administration said. Antifa is hardly a "made-up boogeyman" if even our previous POTUS and his left-of-center administration were concerned about the group's violent tactics.

bgm

Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:16 pm

N583JB wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

I didn't say that antifa was a terror group....I said that it has been responsible for domestic terrorism, which is exactly what the Obama administration said. Antifa is hardly a "made-up boogeyman" if even our previous POTUS and his left-of-center administration were concerned about the group's violent tactics.

Would you mind disclosing your previous username(s)? Thanks.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:11 am

bgm wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Whether or not you find her annoying is irrelevant. It's her message we should be paying attention to. Your generation have left a terrible mess for the younger ones to clean up. The very least you can do is put up with her voice, given what you've done (by you, I mean your generation, not you specifically).

Stop with ageism please.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Dutchy

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:14 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
bgm wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Stop with ageism please.

Really? You introduce the anti-christ in here and you can't take a little criticism on your generation? Wow :roll:
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

bgm

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:21 am

Dutchy wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
bgm wrote:

Stop with ageism please.

Really? You introduce the anti-christ in here and you can't take a little criticism on your generation? Wow :roll:

Typical old right wing mentality: do as I say, not as I do. :duck:

tommy1808

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:32 am

Dutchy wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
bgm wrote:

Stop with ageism please.

It's only the Generation that already fought catalytic converters and unleaded gasoline teeth and claw..... what's to criticize about those .....

I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall that Mr. Butthurt "ageism" had a few things to say about millennial on this forum as well... ageism seems to be ok when he is doing it, otherwise its snowfalkeism galore....

Best regards
Thomas

tommy1808

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:34 am

Dutchy wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
bgm wrote:

Stop with ageism please.

It's only the Generation that already fought catalytic converters and unleaded gasoline teeth and claw..... what's to criticize about those .....

I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall that Mr. Butthurt "ageism" had a few things to say about millennial on this forum as well... ageism seems to be ok when he is doing it, otherwise its snowfalkeism galore....

Best regards
Thomas

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:04 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

hardly, She has a smear campaign launched against her. People are trying to make money off her name.

flyguy89

Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:13 pm

God yes. I believe in climate change and that it needs to be addressed, but yes I do find her annoying and thus tune her out.

Dieuwer

Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:21 pm

Those that protest the loudest are usually those that pollute the most as well.
Or cue the politicians/diplomats who have their mouths full of must-do-something-about-climate-change: they drive their chauffeured diesels from one meeting to the other, fly business class or their private planes from one meeting to the other, all the while oracling how ordinary people should chip in "because...".