Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8481
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:54 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
hardly, She has a smear campaign launched against her. People are trying to make money off her name.

When was the last time she was brought up in regular news?

Only recently did she show up again after being awarded a prize from the Nordic Council and rejecting it. Call me crazy, but if I truly cared about action, I'd take the award money and donate to a cause instead of thinking of myself as better than an award.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 2153
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:30 am

I think it’s sad her parents and the environmental community are using a minor to push their agenda. It’s like these clowns that protest airports with their three year olds holding signs that say stop killing me. Move away from the airport idiot.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:15 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
hardly, She has a smear campaign launched against her. People are trying to make money off her name.

When was the last time she was brought up in regular news?

Only recently did she show up again after being awarded a prize from the Nordic Council and rejecting it. Call me crazy, but if I truly cared about action, I'd take the award money and donate to a cause instead of thinking of myself as better than an award.



besides this thread, I read about her earlier this month. I believe she was challenged not to fly by plane this year.
 
P1aneMad
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:46 am

If only we did as we were told by the Gretas of this world things would get betterer and betterer!

Image
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 12347
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:29 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
hardly, She has a smear campaign launched against her. People are trying to make money off her name.

When was the last time she was brought up in regular news?

Only recently did she show up again after being awarded a prize from the Nordic Council and rejecting it. Call me crazy, but if I truly cared about action, I'd take the award money and donate to a cause instead of thinking of myself as better than an award.


Not disagreeing but a query: how will money help those who are decidedly anti-facts listen to scientists?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
tommy1808
Posts: 13254
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:34 am

Aaron747 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
hardly, She has a smear campaign launched against her. People are trying to make money off her name.

When was the last time she was brought up in regular news?

Only recently did she show up again after being awarded a prize from the Nordic Council and rejecting it. Call me crazy, but if I truly cared about action, I'd take the award money and donate to a cause instead of thinking of myself as better than an award.


Not disagreeing but a query: how will money help those who are decidedly anti-facts listen to scientists?


Can't she donate to mental health care organisations?

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
slider
Posts: 7605
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:02 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
Notice how she has faded from existence...



People are trying to make money off her name.


Yeah, her parents most notably..
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8357
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:19 pm

No. She is just a kid. If the world's most powerful cannot take criticism from a kid and unleashed their troll armies they are the ones to be ashamed. Did any world leader try to talk to her?

Otherwise, we have to send toddlers to anger management courses and put them on meds. That is basically defeating the purpose of the human brain.
All posts are just opinions.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 11809
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:47 pm

She has humor
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:55 pm

this thread is also full of humor. Unintentionally of course.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 13254
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:30 am

Dutchy wrote:
She has humor


Nah, one doesn't make fun of the mentally ill.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
apodino
Posts: 3925
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 am

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:44 am

In some ways Greta is like Harry Potter in the Order of the Phoenix movie. In those movies, Harry knew that Voldemort was back and that he had killed Cedric Diggory, but since he was a teenager no one would believe him, and he was left to be tormented all school year by Delores Umbridge. Harry was only vindicated when the minister of Magic saw Voldemort in the ministry with his own eyes.

I use this analogy because Greta knows that climate change is a problem and is trying to warn us about it, but at the same time because of her age no one is listening unless they themselves already believe that Climate Change is happening. A meme appeared on my FB wall today with a photo of a climate scientist who says climate change is a hoax, and of Greta who the meme identifies as a paid child or something like that. Greta has a worthy cause, but I wonder if her approach is the right one to take. She gets a lot of media attention, but why her and not the all the scientists. People will listen to the scientists.
 
L410Turbolet
Posts: 6233
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:12 am

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:52 am

Her 15 minutes of dubious fame is coming to an end.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12964
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:32 pm

The poor wee thing is stuck in American at the moment, she can’t get a yacht to take her to Spain.
 
L410Turbolet
Posts: 6233
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:12 am

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:18 pm

Does she or her business manager, I mean her father don't know how to use Google? Otherwise typing-in "cabins on cargo ships' gets her list of agencies that accomodate people on container ships.
But I guess they need some ridiculous PR stunt like on her way to the US.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22529
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:02 am

She speaks several languages, is great at public speaking, sailed the North Atlantic, but let's all get offended. It seems like the people offended by her are righties and boomers. I know what she is doing will not make much difference to the adults but I say let her. It hurts me in no way at all. I think it is funnier to see all the people offended by her doing what she wants.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
N583JB
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:54 am

seb146 wrote:
She speaks several languages, is great at public speaking, sailed the North Atlantic, but let's all get offended. It seems like the people offended by her are righties and boomers. I know what she is doing will not make much difference to the adults but I say let her. It hurts me in no way at all. I think it is funnier to see all the people offended by her doing what she wants.


I'm not offended by her, and the thread did not ask if people were offended by her. They asked if people are annoyed by her. I don't find her annoying simply because I don't really care about what she has to say. What I do find annoying is the hypocrisy from people who state that we have to listen to her and that she is immune to criticism because she is a child, and then go out and try to ruin the lives of the Covington Catholic kids who did nothing more than smile politely while they were being harassed by activists.
 
Pyrex
Posts: 4789
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:24 am

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:45 pm

So, some idiots decided to follow her lead and still from Europe to Chile, for a climate conference, only to find out 4 (four!) weeks into their trip that the conference was cancelled! In that sense, Greta is not annoying, in that she provides, indirectly, some entertainment to those of us who enjoy making fun of these idiots.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!
 
User avatar
cranberrysaus
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:54 pm

imagine feeling attacked by a child
 
1989worstyear
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:45 am

I really don't get some of the logic here purely focusing on her age.

It's clear the Anglosphere, in general, considers a person her age more of an adult in most ways. Examples (not my opinion):

- 16/17 year old with a couple grams of weed: drug offender with a record the rest of their lives
- 16/17 year old with driver's license: no problem (this one cracks me up now that I'm in my 30's and have been paying my own insurance for 10 years)
- 16/17 year old dating a schoolmate who is 15: predator
- 16/17 year old in the UK: can leave home or get kicked out of the house if their parents demand it

VS:

- 16/17 year old speaking up about why those currently in power are being sluggish reducing on GHG emssions: mere child


If we really wanted to criticize her on something, let's be consistent at least. How about the hypocrisy of being glued to social media, which requires God knows how many server farms to function as well a device to access it.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12964
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:14 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
Does she or her business manager, I mean her father don't know how to use Google? Otherwise typing-in "cabins on cargo ships' gets her list of agencies that accomodate people on container ships.
But I guess they need some ridiculous PR stunt like on her way to the US.


Powered by fossil fuels so cargo vessels are out. She had the auxiliary engine on the yacht she sailed over on sealed, it could only be used in even of a major calamity.
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:29 am

apodino wrote:
In some ways Greta is like Harry Potter in the Order of the Phoenix movie. In those movies, Harry knew that Voldemort was back and that he had killed Cedric Diggory, but since he was a teenager no one would believe him, and he was left to be tormented all school year by Delores Umbridge. Harry was only vindicated when the minister of Magic saw Voldemort in the ministry with his own eyes.

I use this analogy because Greta knows that climate change is a problem and is trying to warn us about it, but at the same time because of her age no one is listening unless they themselves already believe that Climate Change is happening. A meme appeared on my FB wall today with a photo of a climate scientist who says climate change is a hoax, and of Greta who the meme identifies as a paid child or something like that. Greta has a worthy cause, but I wonder if her approach is the right one to take. She gets a lot of media attention, but why her and not the all the scientists. People will listen to the scientists.


I thought that at one time because my brother is a scientist, but then I noticed on his Facebook page that when he brings up climate change, people argue with him relentlessly. He takes the time to explain the science but, apparently some boomers think facts are annoying
 
L410Turbolet
Posts: 6233
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:12 am

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:09 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Powered by fossil fuels so cargo vessels are out.


That cargo ship would sail anyway... but explain that to a fanatic. People comparing her to Joan de Arc were not that off the mark, after all.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8481
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:56 pm

apodino wrote:
In some ways Greta is like Harry Potter in the Order of the Phoenix movie. In those movies, Harry knew that Voldemort was back and that he had killed Cedric Diggory, but since he was a teenager no one would believe him, and he was left to be tormented all school year by Delores Umbridge. Harry was only vindicated when the minister of Magic saw Voldemort in the ministry with his own eyes.

I use this analogy because Greta knows that climate change is a problem and is trying to warn us about it, but at the same time because of her age no one is listening unless they themselves already believe that Climate Change is happening. A meme appeared on my FB wall today with a photo of a climate scientist who says climate change is a hoax, and of Greta who the meme identifies as a paid child or something like that. Greta has a worthy cause, but I wonder if her approach is the right one to take. She gets a lot of media attention, but why her and not the all the scientists. People will listen to the scientists.

Interesting analogy. However:
1. Harry didn't go to the Ministry or Hogwarts to shame the adults because they didn't believe in him (and let's be honest: what's the purpose of Veritaserum if it can't be used properly?).
2. Harry didn't hold press conferences to tell people how his childhood had been stolen from him or similar stories.
3. Harry didn't guilt people into following him and even when criticized and ridiculed, he put on a sad child face.

Again, the problem is both the delivery of the message as well as the messenger.

You'll probably get more favorable reactions when you use logic and facts to get the message across as opposed to passion and anger. Childhood stolen? A teenager from Sweden is claiming she had a childhood stolen? Cry me a river.

There's also the grandstanding of it all. Taking a carbon neutral ship to sail the Atlantic. That's negligible compared to the power used while on land. Unless she's camping in the wilderness, she's using power for her amenities. She's making use of public transport (which, surprise, requires a power source and odds are it's a fossil fuel). But OMG she channeled her inner viking and sailed carbon-free!
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
seat64k
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:56 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Childhood stolen? A teenager from Sweden is claiming she had a childhood stolen? Cry me a river.


This is what I find so annoying. Where I'm from, and the world over, children - pre-teen children - are working tough jobs to support their families. Girls much younger than her resort to prostitution because they have no other option. And she has the cheek to use that language. Utter lack of perspective.

Teens and 20 year-olds who accuse older generations of leaving them a ruined environment. Hey kiddo, those older generations are leaving you a radically cleaner environment than they grew up in. Particularly in air quality.
 
WidebodyPTV
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:53 am

1989worstyear wrote:
I really don't get some of the logic here purely focusing on her age.

It's clear the Anglosphere, in general, considers a person her age more of an adult in most ways. Examples (not my opinion):

- 16/17 year old with a couple grams of weed: drug offender with a record the rest of their lives
- 16/17 year old with driver's license: no problem (this one cracks me up now that I'm in my 30's and have been paying my own insurance for 10 years)
- 16/17 year old dating a schoolmate who is 15: predator
- 16/17 year old in the UK: can leave home or get kicked out of the house if their parents demand it

VS:

- 16/17 year old speaking up about why those currently in power are being sluggish reducing on GHG emssions: mere child


If we really wanted to criticize her on something, let's be consistent at least. How about the hypocrisy of being glued to social media, which requires God knows how many server farms to function as well a device to access it.


30yo and 40yo guys desiring relationships with 20yo is creepy. They may justify it by saying "she's as mature as anybody my own age that I know" - but it's a bunch of B.S., she's still 20yo and 20yo are inherently immature, because they lack life experience.

Likewise, there's something creepy about 30yo and 40yo men trolling a 16yo, making fun of the way she talks, the way she acts, her looks, etc. She's freaking 16. It's completely OK to disagree with her and have a rational discussion with her... but it's not OK for a 40-something to say 'she's ugly and acts retarded' just because he disagrees with her. That makes you an internet troll.
 
1989worstyear
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:13 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:
I really don't get some of the logic here purely focusing on her age.

It's clear the Anglosphere, in general, considers a person her age more of an adult in most ways. Examples (not my opinion):

- 16/17 year old with a couple grams of weed: drug offender with a record the rest of their lives
- 16/17 year old with driver's license: no problem (this one cracks me up now that I'm in my 30's and have been paying my own insurance for 10 years)
- 16/17 year old dating a schoolmate who is 15: predator
- 16/17 year old in the UK: can leave home or get kicked out of the house if their parents demand it

VS:

- 16/17 year old speaking up about why those currently in power are being sluggish reducing on GHG emssions: mere child


If we really wanted to criticize her on something, let's be consistent at least. How about the hypocrisy of being glued to social media, which requires God knows how many server farms to function as well a device to access it.


30yo and 40yo guys desiring relationships with 20yo is creepy. They may justify it by saying "she's as mature as anybody my own age that I know" - but it's a bunch of B.S., she's still 20yo and 20yo are inherently immature, because they lack life experience.

Likewise, there's something creepy about 30yo and 40yo men trolling a 16yo, making fun of the way she talks, the way she acts, her looks, etc. She's freaking 16. It's completely OK to disagree with her and have a rational discussion with her... but it's not OK for a 40-something to say 'she's ugly and acts retarded' just because he disagrees with her. That makes you an internet troll.



Well, everyone matures at different rates, but I guess my point was that older people would call someone her age a young adult vs. a child depending on how it supports their argument or political leanings.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13145
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:55 am

seat64k wrote:
I find her profoundly patronising. "You stole my childhood!" Sod off. But she's 16, and I remember what an idiot I was at 16, so I'm willing to tune her out and not think much about it.

What I am very annoyed by is the people that enable her and others like the extinction rebellion idiots. I don't believe that these people are serious about the environment. It seems entirely political - they can barely contain their anti-capitalist sentimetns.

If they were truly serious about the 1.5ºC problem, they'd be protesting China and India. They'd be fully on board with Nuclear as a short- to medium term solution to get rid of fossil fuels while we try to figure out how to make renewables work. But they don't. They claim the UK has done nothing to address climate change - a claim so preposterous it's hard to take anything they say serious.

I've posted this in another thread so I won't go into the details here, but in short, with one or two exceptions, the carbon emissions for developed economiies have all decreased - in most cases substantially - over the last 20 years. Europe and the US both dropped around 16% at the same time as China's output increased 73% and India doubled.

Pissing and moaning at the developed economiies is like hearing that the dam is about to burst and standing 4 miles downstream with a mop.


So you don't think there is maybe a correlation between China's increasing emissions and the West decreasing ones ? That maybe we didn't do anything for the climate, but just moved production to China ? With more emissions as a result ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6741
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:48 pm

Has John Lewis hopped on the bandwagon and hired her for this year's Chrismas ad?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcsUmpsN9u4

Image

Dragons don't use fossil fuels, I suppose. :D
 
seat64k
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Aesma wrote:
So you don't think there is maybe a correlation between China's increasing emissions and the West decreasing ones ? That maybe we didn't do anything for the climate, but just moved production to China ? With more emissions as a result ?


Of course there's a correlation - I wasn't suggesting otherwise. But it doesn't account for all the pollution difference in either region. There are many other factors. A few examples:
- European countries have been aggressive in emission standards for many decades.
- UK, for example, ties the road tax to the car's emission standard. The more your car pollutes, the more you pay
- Incentives and subsidies to install insulation in your house (UK does this)
- Road worthiness standards that are much stricter than in developing countries.
- MOT (UK) includes engine condition - a car with blown rings aren't going to be on the road for long. [*]

When I lived the UK I realised that most people take these measures for granted and have no idea that it's not the norm everywhere. No wonder they think the UK has done nothing.

On the other end, China and India both have enormous populations to lift out of poverty - that comes with a huge increase in energy demands, and by proxy, pollution. It would help if they didn't build more coal power stations and go with nuclear instead, but that's a different story.

[*] This is an exceedingly common sight in many developing economies: Truck with blown rings, bellowing black smoke. In South Africa, road-worthiness is only assessed when a vehicle changes ownership. There's no regular re-checks, it's your responsibility to keep it running. So something like this (stock image) is perfectly legal:

Image

I have friend who owns a transport company there. I asked him why truck companies keep driving their trucks like this. He says it takes much longer to have the engine repaired than to simply drop in a new one once the engine eventually ceases up, which could be years later. The cost difference is less than the downtime, so some companies simply keep driving it like that. There's a big enough risk that any given truck will get hijacked or stolen anyway, so no one really wants to spend money on maintenance unless it's absolutely necessary. Sometimes you're stuck behind one of these on the road, and the smoke coming out of it is so think and impenetrable, it's impossible to overtake.

There was an law proposed to require yearly road worthiness checks, similar to MOT, but it would only apply to cars registered after the law is introduced. I don't know if it was ever introduced, but even if it was, it won't affect all the 1970s diesel pickups that pollute as much as a small country.
 
speedbird52
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 am

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:20 am

I have no issue with people disagreeing with her stances, but when the hatred becomes personal is where I draw the line. She is by all means, a child. The amount of vitriol I have seen against her is horrific. I have seen people (Particularly in aviation communities) say things like suggest she deserves to be murdered.
 
speedbird52
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 am

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:21 am

seat64k wrote:
Aesma wrote:
So you don't think there is maybe a correlation between China's increasing emissions and the West decreasing ones ? That maybe we didn't do anything for the climate, but just moved production to China ? With more emissions as a result ?


Of course there's a correlation - I wasn't suggesting otherwise. But it doesn't account for all the pollution difference in either region. There are many other factors. A few examples:
- European countries have been aggressive in emission standards for many decades.
- UK, for example, ties the road tax to the car's emission standard. The more your car pollutes, the more you pay
- Incentives and subsidies to install insulation in your house (UK does this)
- Road worthiness standards that are much stricter than in developing countries.
- MOT (UK) includes engine condition - a car with blown rings aren't going to be on the road for long. [*]

When I lived the UK I realised that most people take these measures for granted and have no idea that it's not the norm everywhere. No wonder they think the UK has done nothing.

On the other end, China and India both have enormous populations to lift out of poverty - that comes with a huge increase in energy demands, and by proxy, pollution. It would help if they didn't build more coal power stations and go with nuclear instead, but that's a different story.

[*] This is an exceedingly common sight in many developing economies: Truck with blown rings, bellowing black smoke. In South Africa, road-worthiness is only assessed when a vehicle changes ownership. There's no regular re-checks, it's your responsibility to keep it running. So something like this (stock image) is perfectly legal:

Image

I have friend who owns a transport company there. I asked him why truck companies keep driving their trucks like this. He says it takes much longer to have the engine repaired than to simply drop in a new one once the engine eventually ceases up, which could be years later. The cost difference is less than the downtime, so some companies simply keep driving it like that. There's a big enough risk that any given truck will get hijacked or stolen anyway, so no one really wants to spend money on maintenance unless it's absolutely necessary. Sometimes you're stuck behind one of these on the road, and the smoke coming out of it is so think and impenetrable, it's impossible to overtake.

There was an law proposed to require yearly road worthiness checks, similar to MOT, but it would only apply to cars registered after the law is introduced. I don't know if it was ever introduced, but even if it was, it won't affect all the 1970s diesel pickups that pollute as much as a small country.

...Is it even legal with no license plate?
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13145
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:34 am

Most western countries still have the worst emissions per capita, so there is really no need to point fingers at others :

2016 rankings by per capita emissions
Rank Country CO2 emissions (per capita)
1 Saudi Arabia 16.3T
2 Australia 16.2T
3 United States 15.0T
4 Canada 14.9T
5 South Korea 11.6T
6 Russian Federation 9.9T
7 Japan 9.0T
8 Germany 8.9T
9 Poland 7.7T
10 South Africa 7.4T
11 Islamic Republic of Iran 7.1T
12 China 6.4T
13 United Kingdom 5.6T
14 Italy 5.4T
15 France 4.5T
16 Turkey 4.2T
17 Mexico 3.6T
18 Brazil 2.0T
19 Indonesia 1.7T
20 India 1.6T
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
speedbird52
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 am

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:51 am

Aesma wrote:
Most western countries still have the worst emissions per capita, so there is really no need to point fingers at others :

2016 rankings by per capita emissions
Rank Country CO2 emissions (per capita)
1 Saudi Arabia 16.3T
2 Australia 16.2T
3 United States 15.0T
4 Canada 14.9T
5 South Korea 11.6T
6 Russian Federation 9.9T
7 Japan 9.0T
8 Germany 8.9T
9 Poland 7.7T
10 South Africa 7.4T
11 Islamic Republic of Iran 7.1T
12 China 6.4T
13 United Kingdom 5.6T
14 Italy 5.4T
15 France 4.5T
16 Turkey 4.2T
17 Mexico 3.6T
18 Brazil 2.0T
19 Indonesia 1.7T
20 India 1.6T


Is it possible that the large distance between places is the reason that Canada Russia and Australia are on here?
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Do you find Greta Thunberg annoying?

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:19 am

Thread went off topic and will be locked.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dutchy, kalvado, mdsh00 and 41 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos