Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

California Fire Season 2019

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:55 pm

And so here we are again with fire season in full swing in CA. For timely updates, you can view a rough real-time map on this UC website:

https://ucanr.edu/sites/fire/Wildfire_H ... y/Current/

With North Bay evacuees and blackout victims flooding into SF and the Sacramento area, things are pretty much in flux until weather conditions change later this week. Hopefully the Kincade fire won't spread much further.

Down in Socal, there is currently an overnight flare-up near the Getty Center that has temporarily shut the 405, and the mountain areas north of LA are on high alert with standing red flag warnings.

It feels like the scale of these issues statewide is creeping toward larger dimensions with each passing year. Let's hope this is not the actual case.

Lewis Black providing some comic relief for those of us who need it in a fan bitchfest about PG&E over the weekend, fantastic stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xppZmkukP-w
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Dieuwer

Re: California Fire Season 2019

Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:48 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Finger-pointing is easy. The question is: what are you gonna do about it? What are you gonna do to PREVENT a next time?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1408047#p20850437

Apparently, nothing.

einsteinboricua

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:10 pm

Well clearly, Californians are not raking their land too often!

Seems these Santa Ana winds and Diablo winds are strong. But then again, this summer was on the drier side so even though precipitation picked up in September (and only in NorCal), it was relatively dry everywhere else, which makes wildfires a common thing. Hopefully a more southern jetstream can provide some moisture during winter to at least provide some cushion against wildfire season next year.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

ArchGuy1

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Yesterday, a fire spread to the California Maritime Academy in Vallejo, destroying one structure there and lead to the closure of the Carquinez Bridge. I-80 and the Carquinez Bridge have reopened as of today, but the California Maritime Academy remains closed. Hopefully, the Academy as a whole will be ok.
https://abc7news.com/i-80-opens-in-vall ... e/5651188/

Silver1SWA

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:31 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

Seems these Santa Ana winds and Diablo winds are strong. But then again, this summer was on the drier side so even though precipitation picked up in September (and only in NorCal), it was relatively dry everywhere else, which makes wildfires a common thing. Hopefully a more southern jetstream can provide some moisture during winter to at least provide some cushion against wildfire season next year.

California had very wet winter and spring. It sure was pretty with that unusually green landscape during those months but all that brush has since dried and died.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

seb146

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:49 pm

Since the Kinkade Fire first started, we have been trying to figure out why they evacuated northern parts of Santa Rosa, all the communities down River Road and Sebastopol but not neighborhoods south of CA-12 in Santa Rosa? We left just after the Tubbs Fire, so that is still fresh in our minds. And my mother-in-law still lives in Santa Rosa and we have very close friends who are safe but evacuated.

Thank God, though, the board were paid huge bonuses instead of the crazy job of taking care of power lines......
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Dieuwer

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:56 pm

California should consider having a state-run utility. Then the CA legislature can run the utility the way they like best: set whatever rate they fancy, decide whatever power source they want to built and decide where and how the power lines will be run. And if money is needed, just raise taxes to pay for it.
Then and only then can residents of California be happy: no more private, "evil" utilities that value profits and bonuses over anything else.

Tugger

Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:33 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
California should consider having a state-run utility. Then the CA legislature can run the utility the way they like best: set whatever rate they fancy, decide whatever power source they want to built and decide where and how the power lines will be run. And if money is needed, just raise taxes to pay for it.
Then and only then can residents of California be happy: no more private, "evil" utilities that value profits and bonuses over anything else.

That is already pretty much how it is run already.

Between the PUC, the environmental regulations, the legislation that has been passed regading required power souring etc.

No matter what you will never change the fact that drier regions have evolved to burn and have fire as a part of the life cycle for growth and control. And when you stick hundreds of thousands of people in the wildland-interface there is almost nothing you can do.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

B747forever

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:09 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

California had very wet winter and spring. It sure was pretty with that unusually green landscape during those months but all that brush has since dried and died.

This. While everyone was happy about all the rain and green landscape, I knew it would mean a tough fire season during fall.

We are due another Santa Ana wind event starting later tonight and lasting through all day tomorrow in Southern California. It is supposed to be the strongest event of the season so far. At least it has cooled down a bit to the mid 70s, but we are not out of the woods yet.
Work Hard, Fly Right

johnboy

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:01 am

I’ll be going up to Santa Rosa tomorrow to help with shelters and evacuees.

readytotaxi

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:45 pm

What percentage of home owners would have insurance to cover this disaster?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Okie

Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:24 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
What percentage of home owners would have insurance to cover this disaster?

If there was a mortgage then there was at least insurance for the mortgage company for the amount of the loan. The mortgage companies seem to insist they recover their money first incase of a total loss.

Most people buy insurance to cover belongings, out buildings, liability, costs for living while property is being rebuilt etc.

If you own the property outright then you do not have to buy insurance, it is all on your back.

I would recommend insurance regardless.

Okie

727LOVER

Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:06 pm

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:23 pm

Rinse and repeat from last year - 45 rips into CA and Gov. Newsom via Tweet, threatening to withhold federal aid over poor forest management and CA water policy...what a misanthrope. Forest management, um no - 46% of CA forests are administered by BLM. Water, um no...there are no issues with Cal Fire or local depts running out of water to fight with. What craven nonsense will he make up next?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Tugger

Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:28 pm

I suspect he will of course next threaten to cut off flood aid in areas where there is chronic flooding and people stay without proper preparedness.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

MaverickM11

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:13 pm

Tugger wrote:
I suspect he will of course next threaten to cut off flood aid in areas where there is chronic flooding and people stay without proper preparedness.

Tugg

Seriously? Or are you being sarcastic? Hard to tell.
I don't take responsibility at all

mdsh00

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:05 pm

Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Probably not as many of the states that experience that level of flooding voted for him. To him, everything is about politics and his ego.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:53 am

Much like building in a hurricane zone or flood zone, building in the “interface” zone has consequences for the fools that do it and rewarding such behavior shouldn’t happen.

GF

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:34 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Much like building in a hurricane zone or flood zone, building in the “interface” zone has consequences for the fools that do it and rewarding such behavior shouldn’t happen.

GF

CA counties and cities have been attempting coordinated regional management and updates to planning codes since the 1970s as sprawl metastasized - but voters have rejected smart growth proposals for the most part. And now here we are...these are the consequences of protectionism and poorly informed democracy. That still doesn’t make it appropriate for POTUS to threaten aid - a lot of victims in fire counties are red voters. You’d think he’d care about any of the victims... :sarcastic:

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:07 am

“Smart growth” implies densification, green belts while voters want to have houses, space and suburbia. Keep trying to corral people into prisons that reject.

GF

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:14 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
“Smart growth” implies densification, green belts while voters want to have houses, space and suburbia. Keep trying to corral people into prisons that reject.

GF

That's in direct conflict with your previous statement about the interface zones. Metropolitan LA, SD, and SF can't have endless suburbia because of a thing called mountains. Further density in places with the infrastructure and job centers to support it is just plain logical so long as population growth is a foregone conclusion.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:24 am

Maybe “logical” but people reject it, they want large homes in suburbia, come what may. You want to force them into living your dream, not there's. Start clear cutting, maintain the power grid, stop spending on expensive vanity projects.

GF

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:33 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Maybe “logical” but people reject it, they want large homes in suburbia, come what may. You want to force them into living your dream, not there's. Start clear cutting, maintain the power grid, stop spending on expensive vanity projects.

GF

Nobody is forced by the regulations - they are always up for a vote. Only housing prices force people into things.

Tugger

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:14 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

So you agree it should be paid for federally just like floods and hurricanes are, yes?

mdsh00 wrote:
Probably not as many of the states that experience that level of flooding voted for him. To him, everything is about politics and his ego.

Yes, that is what I suspect.

MaverickM11 wrote:

We're talking Trump here.... he'd never be two-faced or inconsistent.....

Tugg

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:48 pm

Tugger wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

So you agree it should be paid for federally just like floods and hurricanes are, yes?

mdsh00 wrote:

Yes, that is what I suspect.

MaverickM11 wrote:

We're talking Trump here.... he'd never be two-faced or inconsistent.....

Tugg

Quite the opposite, the fools who build in known danger zones should be responsible for the entire cost of their folly. I don’t see how you arrived at your question.

GF

Tugger

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:55 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Quite the opposite, the fools who build in known danger zones should be responsible for the entire cost of their folly. I don’t see how you arrived at your question.

OK, I can support that. What I can't support are stupid threats made against a specific state that are not equally applied to other states with similar/equivalent environmental situations. Especially when they reek of political pandering.

I got sick of paying for idiots constantly building in flood zones long ago. And facilitating lower insurance rates for protecting such structures. So if you are going to cut off assistance for one state then we should absolutely have cut this gravy train off long ago.

Tugg

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:15 pm

The Golden Rule says who has the gold makes the rules. Just say NO to Federal hand outs.

Tugger

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:24 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The Golden Rule says who has the gold makes the rules. Just say NO to Federal hand outs.

Why? And why would you think that is a valid strategy for any state? What states regularly turn down large dollar federal assistance grants when they are offered?

And should they? Isn't that one of the key values of being a part of a "union of states"?

And if your statement is the fundamentally correct one.... which states in the US have "the gold" and contribute the most to the federal government? And shouldn't those states then dictate the rules? If your statement is proper and appropriate.

Tugg

seb146

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:01 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

That would include most of the South, most of the Midwest, many corporations, too, right? If you have been following the story, PG&E paid share holders huge bonuses instead of fixing faulty equipment. Yet another in the long list of right wing "blame the victim" chants.

Maybe California, the fifth largest economy on Earth, should withhold federal funds until a real leader is put in the White House. Someone who has some humility and understands that we are the UNITED States and not just every man for himself?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!