Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

caliboy93
Topic Author

Workplace relationships appropriate?

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:17 pm

So the CEO of McDonalds was just fired for having a CONSENSUAL relationship with an employee -
https://abc7chicago.com/business/mcdona ... e/5669012/

It's against company policy for managers pursuing romantic relationships with employees. Both parties are consenting adults, so why is this an issue?

flipdewaf

Re: Workplace relationships appropriate?

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:25 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
So the CEO of McDonalds was just fired for having a CONSENSUAL relationship with an employee -

It's against company policy for managers pursuing romantic relationships with employees. Both parties are consenting adults, so why is this an issue?

It’s an issue because of conflicts of interest. Where I work the rules don’t say that it isn’t allowed but you have to let the relevant people know, you won’t be fired but there will be work arounds sought such as a changes in reporting structure or given a different job of required. I feel it’s very strict to say you cannot have feeling for someone, you don’t control these things.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Absolutely the right action, you can’t be in a position of authority (CEO) and pursue the employees. He isn’t the first, either, see Stryker Corp. See Bendix Corp, back in the sta long before #metoo hysteria.

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:52 pm

caliboy93 wrote:

I think relations between co-workers is only appropriate if you're of the same level, and are from different departments.

In this case, while the relationship was consensual there's always the lingering question of whether he got consent simply because he's CEO.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Alias1024

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:01 pm

It’s a problem because of the disparity in power between the two. As CEO he would have the power to reassign, demote, or even terminate any employee. It creates the potential for employees feeling they cannot turn down the romantic advances without risking their livelihood.

While the CEO may have never considered using his position in such a disgusting manner, and the employee may never have felt coerced, most large organizations do not want to risk employees feeling pressured into sexual relationships.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

DTVG

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:29 am

This is why it is best to work for a (small) corporation, best somewhere in Europe (not UK or Germany) or Asia, where they don’t care about two adults making (consensual) decisions.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:50 am

DTVG wrote:
This is why it is best to work for a (small) corporation, best somewhere in Europe (not UK or Germany) or Asia, where they don’t care about two adults making (consensual) decisions.

The counter argument is there can never be consent with a large power gap. This was the feminist, Clinton-era idea until, of course, Clinton violated it.

GF

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:18 am

DTVG wrote:

I work in Asia and my company, a small corporation, DOES care about adults being in a relationship when one of the adults are in a position of superiority.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

vikkyvik

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:01 pm

DTVG wrote:

Some might say that it's not a good idea to work for such a corporation, for the same reason.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

extender

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:09 pm

Don't poop where you eat.

DL717

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:58 pm

caliboy93 wrote:

If they are in the supervisory chain, then it’s a problem, but this guy is the CEO for crying out loud. That said, there shouldn’t be restrictions on peers. Some companies don’t discourage peer relationships at all. They see it as a benefit to retention as one employee doesn’t have to go looking somewhere else that could result in losing both employees. If one becomes a supervisor to the other, then move the subordinate to another position to deconflict the potential for problems. Others view all relationships as a problem, which is kinda dumb when you’re talking about peer to peer relationships.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

johns624

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:20 pm

caliboy93 wrote:

What are the rules where you work?

fr8mech

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:40 pm

During my undergrad work, in an HR type class, I read a statement that basically said a relationship can not be truly consensual if one party holds power over the other in the workplace.

Undoubtedly, a CEO holds power over all employees in the organization, regardless of departmental assignments. Whether unfounded or not, the lower-level employee may consider the continuing of the relationship as a condition of employment or further promotion.

Now, I’m not sure I believed that completely then, nor do I now, but it is a concept that all managers need to be aware of. There are all kinds of shades of gray here, and that’s why many corporate policies discourage, or outright ban relationships between employees of different levels.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

zakuivcustom

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:28 pm

I thought it's pretty much given that any time there are two people in a consensual relationship, that one simply can't be the superior of another due to possible conflict of interest and ethical concerns.

DTVG wrote:

99% of the companies out there don't care if it's two adults being in a consensual relationship as long as one is not in the chain of command of another. Once a person is the superior of the other person, however, all bets are off, and I knew cases where one of the couple has to be reassign to another group (albeit following reorganization).

JJJ

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:47 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Undoubtedly, a CEO holds power over all employees in the organization, regardless of departmental assignments. Whether unfounded or not, the lower-level employee may consider the continuing of the relationship as a condition of employment or further promotion.

Or he/she may use it as a ladder to get promotions or special treatment. You have to presume good faith between adults, and if not there's the courts.

I would refuse a relationship at work on personal grounds, but it can happen. We have a co-worker couple (different departments though) who met on the job and are married for 6 years and two kids now.

afcjets

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:52 pm

Alias1024 wrote:
It’s a problem because of the disparity in power between the two. As CEO he would have the power to reassign, demote, or even terminate any employee. It creates the potential for employees feeling they cannot turn down the romantic advances without risking their livelihood.

While the CEO may have never considered using his position in such a disgusting manner, and the employee may never have felt coerced, most large organizations do not want to risk employees feeling pressured into sexual relationships.

If a CEO is going to sexually harass an employee, I doubt he is going to consider whether he is violating a dating an employee policy, because if his company has that policy, I am pretty sure they would also have a policy against sexual harassment. If things go bad in the relationship and the employee feels pressured to continue it, perhaps they shouldn't have entered a relationship with their boss to begin with.

The bigger issue in allowing managers to date their subordinates is someone might get a promotion based on something besides job performance, and that's not fair to the other employees. The first situation is completely between and the fault of two consenting adults and doesn't harm anyone who didn't know what they were getting into, the latter hurts the entire organization.

ER757

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:06 pm

Years ago, I was caught in the middle of a workplace couple. The woman was my boss, the man worked for me. Was not a pleasant situation for me, I was glad when the woman moved to a different, non-management position. My company has since put a policy on place to prevent that sort of nepotism happening again.

AA747123

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Really depends on the levels of the parties in involved. If they are of the same level, one is not over the other in a management or supervisory role then its ok. But for those in a management or supervisory role to be in a relationship with a subordinate then no.

Aesma

Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:45 am

In my company plenty of managers go out with secretaries... And it's a big company. I think there might be some rules about disclosing relationships, which I guess is fine, but unless actual impropriety is proven, as we call it, "promotion canapé" (couch advancement), I don't see the problem.

Also, you can be on the same/similar level, work in different departments, and still have problems. A colleague of mine was two or three timing secretaries until one of them got her manager boss to convince his manager to move him to another city...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams