Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author

The Motorola RAZR Returns

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:26 am

I don't know about you, but this is what a foldable phone should look like. Not humongous like the Galaxy Fold, but something you can keep in your pocket and not feel a thing.

Honestly given how screens have become bezeless, I don't see why Apple/Samsung can't do an iPhone 4S/Galaxy sized phone with full screens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WCbItE5yl0

BartSimpson

Re: The Motorola RAZR Returns

Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:15 am

I liked the old Razrs very much although I never had one. This new thing looks sharp (hehe) but since I pay only 200 $ every four years for a new smartphone it's out of my range.

WesternDC6B

Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:22 am

I had two RAZR phones. I hope the new design is better at resisting mold growth in the keypad. That is what killed both of mine. This was not, and has not since, been an issue with phones I have owned.

bgm

Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:58 am

WesternDC6B wrote:
I had two RAZR phones. I hope the new design is better at resisting mold growth in the keypad. That is what killed both of mine. This was not, and has not since, been an issue with phones I have owned.

I liked the original design, the phone was really thin. But omg the software on it was awful. Terrible lag with texting which made it very frustrating.

SanDiegoLover

Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:15 pm

I miss the early 2000 flip phones from Motorola. They were bulletproof. Phones like the Pebble https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-PEBL- ... B000JUX8M8 were awesome. They would hold a charge for several days, even up to 1 week.

SanDiegoLover

Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Ive had a cell phone since the original “brick phone”, but this Oki handheld in 1994 was awesome. It was the first light and portable phone, that then snapped into my installed car phone booster kit to enhance signal, charging, and hands free use. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPgydVIb278

Of course, if I remember correctly, my $99 per month plan came with 50 or 60 “free” minutes, and everything beyond that was $.49 cents or $.59 cents per minute.

casinterest

Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:21 pm

1499 ?

This is a bit steep,especially considering the specs, but i did like my Razr back in the day

https://www.gizmochina.com/2019/11/14/m ... -for-1499/

TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:04 am

casinterest wrote:
1499 ?

This is a bit steep,especially considering the specs, but i did like my Razr back in the day

https://www.gizmochina.com/2019/11/14/m ... -for-1499/

Compared to other phones, yes.

But compared with other foldables, not so much.

speedbird52

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:13 am

I like having a large screen purely for a larger keyboard while typing. But even as a 6,4 man, the new phones barely fit in my pockets. I have a Galaxy S10e, which is just about as small as phones get, and that thing still struggles to fit. Also, when it comes to basic usage such as phone calls or texting, the thing and large form factors of modern smart phones is HORRIBLE. If I hold the phone for too long my hands actually start hurting. I absolutely would buy something like this. When I heard that foldable phones were entering the market, I wasn't excited to have an Android tablet wherever I go, I was excited that I could have a decent sized phone that still felt nice to hold. I really hope this form factor starts to become the norm.

On a different note, anyone else disappointed that the new iPhone SE is going to be based off of the iPhone 8 chassis instead of the iPhone 5? The iPhone 8 is just about as big as an iPhone 11 except the screen isn't edge to edge. I kind of wished we would see a iPhone 5 chassis with an edge to edge display.

TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author

Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:08 am

speedbird52 wrote:
On a different note, anyone else disappointed that the new iPhone SE is going to be based off of the iPhone 8 chassis instead of the iPhone 5? The iPhone 8 is just about as big as an iPhone 11 except the screen isn't edge to edge. I kind of wished we would see a iPhone 5 chassis with an edge to edge display.

Totally agree. Whoever said bigger is better?

FTMCPIUS

Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:52 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:
Ive had a cell phone since the original “brick phone”, but this Oki handheld in 1994 was awesome. It was the first light and portable phone, that then snapped into my installed car phone booster kit to enhance signal, charging, and hands free use. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPgydVIb278

Of course, if I remember correctly, my $99 per month plan came with 50 or 60 “free” minutes, and everything beyond that was $.49 cents or $.59 cents per minute.

I (my company) was the first cell phone agent, Metrocom. I had the first number issued in the U.S. (after the first customer, that is) -- October 13, 1983. My office was across the highway from Marty Cooper who developed the 'brick' for Motorola. In addition to a vehicular cell phone, I had the first commercial (non-experimental) brick phone (Dyna-Tac). I can't recall exactly but the battery life was terribly short.

Aesma

Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:23 am

It's too big, extremely heavy, and ultra expensive => no point at all.

SanDiegoLover

Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:42 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:

I (my company) was the first cell phone agent, Metrocom. I had the first number issued in the U.S. (after the first customer, that is) -- October 13, 1983. My office was across the highway from Marty Cooper who developed the 'brick' for Motorola. In addition to a vehicular cell phone, I had the first commercial (non-experimental) brick phone (Dyna-Tac). I can't recall exactly but the battery life was terribly short.

The brick phones were awful. Hence why I was overjoyed with that Oki which was only like 1/2 lb. Today’s airbook Macs weigh less than those original brick phones.

What I find amusing to tell younger people is that back then you could tell an important client’s Secretary that you were calling from a “car phone”, and their response was “oh my gosh, I’ll put you right through” vs just leaving a message. Best thing ever for a salesperson.

SanDiegoLover

Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:46 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
I like having a large screen purely for a larger keyboard while typing. But even as a 6,4 man, the new phones barely fit in my pockets. I have a Galaxy S10e, which is just about as small as phones get, and that thing still struggles to fit. Also, when it comes to basic usage such as phone calls or texting, the thing and large form factors of modern smart phones is HORRIBLE. If I hold the phone for too long my hands actually start hurting. I absolutely would buy something like this. When I heard that foldable phones were entering the market, I wasn't excited to have an Android tablet wherever I go, I was excited that I could have a decent sized phone that still felt nice to hold. I really hope this form factor starts to become the norm.

I just got an iPhone 8 last year. Bigger isn’t always better. Given I despise putting a cover on my phone because I want to slip it in my pocket and forget I’m carrying a phone, the iPhone 8 size is the biggest screen I’m interested in as you can drop it several times and the screen is protected enough and small enough it won’t break. I kept my iPhone 5 a long time simply because of it’s compact size.

speedbird52

Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:06 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

I just got an iPhone 8 last year. Bigger isn’t always better. Given I despise putting a cover on my phone because I want to slip it in my pocket and forget I’m carrying a phone, the iPhone 8 size is the biggest screen I’m interested in as you can drop it several times and the screen is protected enough and small enough it won’t break. I kept my iPhone 5 a long time simply because of it’s compact size.

I am on the same page as you with cases. I got a case for an s10e and basically never use it.

Max Q

Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:18 pm

speedbird52 wrote:

I didn’t know there’s going to be a new SE, haven’t seen that anywhere

News to me, I’ve had one for a couple of years now and it’s been good although I do find the screen a bit small

A larger model sounds interesting

stratclub

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:30 am

Hear ya go............Works great, less filling. Battery life sucks, but I can deal with that. With a Bluetooth head set, I have even used it for Navigation. Awesome phone. For $349 retail price I can't complain.

speedbird52

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:57 am

stratclub wrote:
Hear ya go............Works great, less filling. Battery life sucks, but I can deal with that. With a Bluetooth head set, I have even used it for Navigation. Awesome phone. For $349 retail price I can't complain.

What is it?

SQ22

Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:57 am

Thread went off topic and will be locked.