Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Santa Clarita High School Shooting

Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:57 pm

A shooting took place at Sangus High School in Santa Clarita, California that left two students dead and multiple others injured. The shooter also shot himself dead and nearby residents were advised to shelter in place. This is the latest in a long line of school shootings in America over the years that include Sandy Hook, Parkland, and Columbine. What are your thoughts about this event.
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/loca ... 19052.html

Kent350787

Re: Santa Clarita High School Shooting

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:00 am

Has the WH issued thoughts and prayers yet?
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:03 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
What are your thoughts about this event.

How many more kids must die before even a single action to stop this madness is taken?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

N583JB

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:08 am

My thoughts are that this was a very tragic event, but because the shooter used a handgun it will probably be forgotten about by the media shortly.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:20 am

Murder-Suicide

Suggestions to prevent?? Because I want to forward them to Iraq who has that problem in spades.

Don't Cali schools have safety officers at each school??

If only the SC had allowed the 10 Commandments to be posted and taught in schools. Maybe the Commandment about Thou Shalt Not Murder might have been seen and considered and obeyed.

R Rated Bloodlust and Violence on broadcast TV, cable, movies, video games. We need another "Hays" Code. A few more conservative SC Judges, and prior faulty decisions that would prevent that will be overturned. IT WILL HAPPEN!!
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

FTMCPIUS

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:04 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

How many more kids must die before even a single action to stop this madness is taken?

And what (effective) action would that be? :?:

Aesma

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:10 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Murder-Suicide

Suggestions to prevent?? Because I want to forward them to Iraq who has that problem in spades.

Don't Cali schools have safety officers at each school??

If only the SC had allowed the 10 Commandments to be posted and taught in schools. Maybe the Commandment about Thou Shalt Not Murder might have been seen and considered and obeyed.

R Rated Bloodlust and Violence on broadcast TV, cable, movies, video games. We need another "Hays" Code. A few more conservative SC Judges, and prior faulty decisions that would prevent that will be overturned. IT WILL HAPPEN!!

So this happens in another country full of guns and assault weapons, but your solution doesn't involve doing anything about guns. Logical.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

NIKV69

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:15 am

Aesma wrote:

So this happens in another country full of guns and assault weapons, but your solution doesn't involve doing anything about guns. Logical.

No assault weapon this time. Your solution is to take away all the guns. We enjoy a right to bear arms. Illogical.
I am the Googlizer!!!

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:13 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

No assault weapon this time. Your solution is to take away all the guns. We enjoy a right to bear arms. Illogical.

Pretty sure you're strawmanning him.

But come on, to pretend like America doesn't have a gun problem and a bunch of reasonable measures can't be taken to reduce gun violence? It frustrates me to no end to see gun owners (or at least people supportive of "gun rights") bury their heads in the sand, it's like they're playing dumb and any argument thrown at them is swatted away using some lazy technicality.

Sure, many "gun grabbers" are completely stupid when it comes to guns and spew nonsense. But let's not pretend there aren't things we can do.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:24 am

FTMCPIUS wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

And what (effective) action would that be? :?:

I don't know...maybe don't make it so easy for people who can't take care of guns to, you know, access guns?

You do realize that more stringent gun laws doesn't infringe on your right to bear arms now do you?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

scbriml

Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:35 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Lots apparently.

DIRECTFLT wrote:

You're equating America with war-torn Iraq? You must be so proud.

NIKV69 wrote:
We enjoy a right to bear arms.

Yeah, all those dead kids and their parents really enjoyed that right. :sarcastic:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

petertenthije

Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:49 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

The only way something will change if enough politicians are affected. Short of, heaven forbid, a shooting at the senate's daycare facility, not enough politicians will care to set legislation in motion. The politicians benefit too much from the status-quo (guaranteed NRA voter block, campaign contributions, easy sound-bites).
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

ltbewr

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:48 am

Once again, the lives of hundreds of persons are damaged for life by the act of someone choosing to use a gun to resolve their personal problems. Of course we will get the usual rounds of factors from the gun itself, the shooter, the lack of access to mental health care, too much violence in movies and video games, bad parenting, the NRA, peer pressure, sexual wants, bullying, need for airport level security to enter school campuses, blathering by politicians and other factors, rinse and repeat. By Friday night, it will be off the news, put off by the latest behaviors by the Kardishians or Trump.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:53 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

But come on, to pretend like America doesn't have a gun problem and a bunch of reasonable measures can't be taken to reduce gun violence? It frustrates me to no end to see gun owners (or at least people supportive of "gun rights") bury their heads in the sand, it's like they're playing dumb and any argument thrown at them is swatted away using some lazy technicality.

Sure, many "gun grabbers" are completely stupid when it comes to guns and spew nonsense. But let's not pretend there aren't things we can do.

This 16-year old kid used a handgun. California has the toughest gun regulation in the nation, every possible dream law desired up. It was illegal for him to buy the gun and the ammunition, possess, carry it concealed. It was illegal by state and Federal,law to sell, transfer or give it to him at any point of sale.

What do you to got to fix that?

extender

Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:04 am

Laws, laws will stop the madness.

/sarcasm

As the Shed Driver pointed out above, there were so many laws that, if followed, would have prevented this. But welcome to the increasingly lawless society, that has no respect for authority, and at a deeper level, life itself.

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:19 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

This 16-year old kid used a handgun. California has the toughest gun regulation in the nation, every possible dream law desired up. It was illegal for him to buy the gun and the ammunition, possess, carry it concealed. It was illegal by state and Federal,law to sell, transfer or give it to him at any point of sale.

My ideas would undoubtedly reduce many deaths and honestly not infringe on rights at all. They're definitely not far enough in the opinions of most on here, probably.

And before I list them off, I'll fully admit: maybe nothing would stop this one. I mean Europe occasionally has gun deaths. The whole "we need a solution that 100% stops any situation" is another annoying tactic.

But anyway, I'd have an actual registration system. If guns are registered to someone you can bet straw purchases would go way down. Doesn't affect gun rights.

Mando safe storage. Self explanatory but I can't tell you how many houses of people I've been to with guns lying around (even when they're gone, even when I was a teen, etc.)

Some sort of mando, entry level training. Seen too many awful gun handling, even by people that are in gun owning families. Exempt police and military members

Background checks for all purchases, including personal. Yeah grandpa will have to go through an FFL instead of just giving it to Billy. I've had all mine go through an FFL but a couple, literally met a guy off of Armslist or something and bought at CZ-52, super convenient but he had no idea who I was.

I have more but I don't want to detail the thread. I realized anyway you're talking about CA, yeah they have awful laws that are ill thought out, but I see that as an obvious red herring... The whole US is not CA and we don't have checkpoints all over the CA border.

Maybe none of ^ would have stopped this incident but I would be interested in hearing any disagreements from any gun owners on whether any of ^ would NOT cut down on a lot of illegality/accidents/violence and it any of that infringes on any rights?

We gun owners are doing a terrible job fighting to reduce the violence... Instead of helping common sense measures go through we're fighting everything. And it's working... At the expense of a lot of lives. And one day, the pendulum will swing and they'll finally start passing the really stupid gun laws ("omg bayonet lugs are evil") and there'll be no stopping it. But it that's the only way to get the super common sense measures passed then we have no one but us gun owners to blame

extender

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:25 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
We gun owners are doing a terrible job fighting to reduce the violence... Instead of helping common sense measures go through we're fighting everything. And it's working... At the expense of a lot of lives. And one day, the pendulum will swing and they'll finally start passing the really stupid gun laws ("omg bayonet lugs are evil") and there'll be no stopping it. But it that's the only way to get the super common sense measures passed then we have no one but us gun owners to blame

What do you mean "We?" Frankly your measures go overboard. I store my firearms in safes, and don't need anyone violating my privacy to make sure that they are secure. I smell a red herring in here. So thanks, no. Your measures would not have stopped this.

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Winston Churchill

DiamondFlyer

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:42 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

How many more kids must die in drunk driving accidents before we ban alcohol? It worked so well last time, let's do it again.
From my cold, dead hands

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:51 pm

extender wrote:

/sarcasm

As the Shed Driver pointed out above, there were so many laws that, if followed, would have prevented this. But welcome to the increasingly lawless society, that has no respect for authority, and at a deeper level, life itself.

Got that right! Laws are just signposts; behavior is molded early in life and we’ve given on building character.

Scorpio

Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:11 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
How many more kids must die in drunk driving accidents before we ban alcohol? It worked so well last time, let's do it again.

Complete non-argument, as no-one here is suggesting BANNING guns.

vikkyvik

Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:21 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
extender wrote:

/sarcasm

Got that right! Laws are just signposts; behavior is molded early in life and we’ve given on building character.

So what did the previous generation do wrong to raise such a lawless and disrespectful society?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

extender

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:26 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
So what did the previous generation do wrong to raise such a lawless and disrespectful society?

Try Link.

seb146

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:22 pm

The same day as yet another school shooting, Republicans Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith of Mississippi objected and halted the legislation. This bill had already passed the House and was stalled by Republicans in Senate committees. The bill passed earlier this year but the Senate "needs more time to debate" the bill, according to Hyde-Smith

https://www.businessinsider.com/gop-sen ... ed-2019-11

smdh.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

seb146

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:36 pm

extender wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:

Try Link.

nope.

You can not simply point to one article as proof that "all parents" or whatever. If that were the case, based on Germanwings 9525, all pilots are suicidal.

Parents do not discipline their children for a number of reasons. Some because "I don't want to be my parents" or some because "I don't have time" or some because "I'll just buy them what they want" or any number of reasons. Other parents discipline their children and still end up with a school shooter.

N583JB

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:07 pm

seb146 wrote:
The same day as yet another school shooting, Republicans Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith of Mississippi objected and halted the legislation. This bill had already passed the House and was stalled by Republicans in Senate committees. The bill passed earlier this year but the Senate "needs more time to debate" the bill, according to Hyde-Smith

smdh.....

That bill had literally nothing to do with the shooting. The kid was a 15 year old and not legally allowed to buy a pistol.

extender

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:14 pm

There are more than one reason, but that is a good place to start as any.

Tugger

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:37 pm

To me the questions are:
Why do these only happen at the scale they do in the USA?
Is this acceptable?
If yes, then proceed as is.
If not, what active steps are people willing to take to address them?

Me? I support better gun regulation. Do not infringe on the right to own a firearm but require rigorous adherence to proper handling of said firearm(s), require safe storage. Require liability insurance of some form. And if a firearm is used improperly, illegally, in the murder of someone etc. then the person who owned said firearm is responsible and liable (and if the firearm seller did not due proper and confirmed ID and due diligence they are responsible etc.).

Tie those together and it will change how people treat guns. It doesn't take much to make it completely self-policing (so to speak). IT will change how people treat firearms, from sale to personal management.

And please, these are ideas, thoughts on how to tackle the problem. They are not commandments, the will not become fait accompli. Feel free to challenge them but present you own ideas that can create a safer and more self-sufficient control situation.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

seb146

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:01 pm

N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:

smdh.....

That bill had literally nothing to do with the shooting. The kid was a 15 year old and not legally allowed to buy a pistol.

And his parents?

Does not change the fact that Republicans refuse to do anything at all on gun control. Nothing. Just let kids continue to be gunned down. All lives matter?

Brick

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:04 pm

I wish the Democrats would make this big of a deal about guns every time a police officer is shot in the line of duty.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

stl07

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:12 pm

Brick wrote:
I wish the Democrats would make this big of a deal about guns every time a police officer is shot in the line of duty.

They do make a big deal. In fact, I distinctly recall at the convention a huge section was dedicated to this. Also, shootings are tragedies, not d*ck measuring contests of drama.

Now, why don't they make AS big of a deal as a school shooting? Because it is the job of the cop to risk her/his life to protect us. Also, cops are armed and can defend as they are trained to. Children are neither armed nor trained on how to use a gun for self-defense.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

NIKV69

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:13 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Take all the guns of course. Look the left wants a Europe solution when it comes to guns in the USA. The don't have the guts to admit it but it's obvious. It's why we can't get any real legislation passed.

It won't end with background checks or high capacity mags or assault rifles. When we get real with each other than we can go forward.
I am the Googlizer!!!

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:27 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

Take all the guns of course. Look the left wants a Europe solution when it comes to guns in the USA. The don't have the guts to admit it but it's obvious. It's why we can't get any real legislation passed.

It won't end with background checks or high capacity mags or assault rifles. When we get real with each other than we can go forward.

There’s some high octane truth, right there. Like Social Security and Medicare funding reform, why give up a great political football when you could actually do something and have to share the credit with Republicans or, worse, Trump. The Dems will happily bankrupt the government, have continued massacres and start WW III than give Trump credit for being dog catcher.

GF

Scorpio

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:44 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Take all the guns of course. Look the left wants a Europe solution when it comes to guns in the USA.

Two sentences that squarely contradict each other. So which of the two is it?

N583JB

Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:39 am

seb146 wrote:
N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:

smdh.....

And his parents?

Does not change the fact that Republicans refuse to do anything at all on gun control. Nothing. Just let kids continue to be gunned down. All lives matter?

There's no indication that his parents are anything other than law-abiding gun owners. So, once again, totally irrelevant.

FTMCPIUS

Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:44 am

seb146 wrote:
N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:

smdh.....

And his parents?

Dems will sweep in 2020, Now, assuming RBG then leaves the Supreme Court, what will the magical Dem solution be? Please, Seb, not more ineffective legislation, please! When will you people accept the fact that you cannot legislate the nature of a culture? There is only one solution to the problem. We all know what it is. Anything short of that will not be solving the problem, but will simply produce more foundering with feel-good laws that pander for votes. So, what will it be?

DIRECTFLT

Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:07 am

Iraq should have a total ban on bombs, to, you know, stop all of the suicide bombings.
If they'd only pass legislation.

America is the arsenal of democracy. Who would rather leave that up to... China?? France??
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

seb146

Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:01 am

FTMCPIUS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

And his parents?

Dems will sweep in 2020, Now, assuming RBG then leaves the Supreme Court, what will the magical Dem solution be? Please, Seb, not more ineffective legislation, please! When will you people accept the fact that you cannot legislate the nature of a culture? There is only one solution to the problem. We all know what it is. Anything short of that will not be solving the problem, but will simply produce more foundering with feel-good laws that pander for votes. So, what will it be?

You mean the bill that passed the Democratically controlled House and stalled in the Senate because "ain't nobody got time for that"? WHEN Democrats take over in 2020, the same legislation will pass both chambers, be signed by the president, and be upheld by the courts.

Go read the bill "every life is precious" Republican Senators didn't have time for.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:23 am

Describe how that’ll help, please?

DeltaMD90

Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:41 pm

extender wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

What do you mean "We?" Frankly your measures go overboard. I store my firearms in safes, and don't need anyone violating my privacy to make sure that they are secure. I smell a red herring in here. So thanks, no. Your measures would not have stopped this.

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Winston Churchill

Cool and I'm not talking about your or I. Plenty of gun owners are completely irresponsible, you know that, I know that. You and I are NOT the target of any sort of legislation. It's stuff we already do!

And again, I don't think we need a 1000% sure way to stop literally every single incident. Will the measures I mention not reduce a lot of violence? As you point out, a lot of it is already what you do!

I'd end with a fancy quote but I don't have one. If us gun owners keep stupidly fighting the most benign gun control measures that would undoubtedly save lives, we'll hit the point, idk when, where just enough public opinion and politicians are elected and the floodgates will open. We'll be begging for them just to stop at safe storage, background checks, etc.

They'll start doing silly politiciany "I don't know how guns work" and ban anything with a bayonet lug, ill-defined "assault weapons" that ban a bunch of benign things but leave loopholes for non-scary guns, etc.

Whatever. It's a lonely position. Own a lot of guns (even scary "assault weapons") but am pro (IMO) reasonable gun control measures. I'm sure the more liberal members think I'm nuts for owning all of them, and I know the gun owners generally frown on my ideas lol

Aesma

Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:35 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

There’s some high octane truth, right there. Like Social Security and Medicare funding reform, why give up a great political football when you could actually do something and have to share the credit with Republicans or, worse, Trump. The Dems will happily bankrupt the government, have continued massacres and start WW III than give Trump credit for being dog catcher.

GF

What did the GOP/Trump try to do on these issues that the Dems somehow blocked ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:38 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
America is the arsenal of democracy. Who would rather leave that up to... China?? France??

What does that even mean ? China and France make plenty of military weapons, I don't see the link between that, democracy, or gun ownership.

FTMCPIUS

Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:05 pm

seb146 wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

And his parents?

You mean the bill that passed the Democratically controlled House and stalled in the Senate because "ain't nobody got time for that"? WHEN Democrats take over in 2020, the same legislation will pass both chambers, be signed by the president, and be upheld by the courts.

Go read the bill "every life is precious" Republican Senators didn't have time for.

Yes, Seb, too many Republican Senators acquiesce to the demands of the NRA. H.R.8 should be passed, but to read your posts the uninformed might think it is the panacea, ending virtually all gun-related violence. It may have a slight effect, but not much.

You and most intelligent Democrats know it is simply another step in broadening the already complex federal background check system. It is already full of deadly loopholes, which will only be furthered by even more background checks laws. Passage of this bill will give Democrats political wallpaper and not much else. And, law-abiding citizens will provide the appearance of success by adhering to the letter of the law. However, criminals will continue the killing via firearms. And they will continue to get access to guns in the many illegal ways they do now. How are gun laws going to prevent that?

And then there are the others. The latest case in point? There was no advanced warning.

Nathaniel Tennosuke Berhow. Age 16. He did not leave behind a diary or a manifesto, and he has not been linked to any violent ideology or group. Authorities said the handgun he used was not one of the six guns in his home registered to his deceased father. Federal and state investigators are also trying to determine whether the handgun used by him was made from parts purchased separately and then assembled. These so-called ghost guns are unserialized weapons manufactured from parts that can be ordered through the mail or machined parts acquired from underground makers.

Authorities have also searched the teenage suspect’s papers and computer hard drives for any clues as to a motive, but so far, none has emerged. The teen didn’t leave behind a suicide note or manifesto detailing any plans.

So, what lies beyond H.R.8, Seb?

NIKV69

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:25 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

He can't of course. He just recites the same partisan garbage. Again this isn't about assault weapons. This is about turning us into a society like Europe where there are no guns, high taxes and huge entitlements and tries to makes us think that is what everyone wants. If this was true Trump would not have won.

Now if you want to talk some real gun bills lets stop vilifying people that believe in the 2A and the NRA and stop pretending. Then something can get done. Otherwise it's just demagoguing and propaganda and little else.
I am the Googlizer!!!

JJJ

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:56 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

He can't of course. He just recites the same partisan garbage. Again this isn't about assault weapons. This is about turning us into a society like Europe where there are no guns,

I must be living in the wrong continent then because this morning I went through a couple boxes of 9mm at the range.

DIRECTFLT

Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:23 pm

Another school shooting. When will it ever end??

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/41330 ... tball-game

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:21 am

40 years ago, these shootings very rarely occurred, tempting to say unheard of, but there possibly a few. Look at society changes for your answer.

GF

seb146

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:31 am

FTMCPIUS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:

Yes, Seb, too many Republican Senators acquiesce to the demands of the NRA. H.R.8 should be passed, but to read your posts the uninformed might think it is the panacea, ending virtually all gun-related violence. It may have a slight effect, but not much.

You and most intelligent Democrats know it is simply another step in broadening the already complex federal background check system. It is already full of deadly loopholes, which will only be furthered by even more background checks laws. Passage of this bill will give Democrats political wallpaper and not much else. And, law-abiding citizens will provide the appearance of success by adhering to the letter of the law. However, criminals will continue the killing via firearms. And they will continue to get access to guns in the many illegal ways they do now. How are gun laws going to prevent that?

And then there are the others. The latest case in point? There was no advanced warning.

Nathaniel Tennosuke Berhow. Age 16. He did not leave behind a diary or a manifesto, and he has not been linked to any violent ideology or group. Authorities said the handgun he used was not one of the six guns in his home registered to his deceased father. Federal and state investigators are also trying to determine whether the handgun used by him was made from parts purchased separately and then assembled. These so-called ghost guns are unserialized weapons manufactured from parts that can be ordered through the mail or machined parts acquired from underground makers.

Authorities have also searched the teenage suspect’s papers and computer hard drives for any clues as to a motive, but so far, none has emerged. The teen didn’t leave behind a suicide note or manifesto detailing any plans.

Because of the NRA held Republicans in Congress, nothing can be done. As long as a minority of Americans who control Congress refuse to see a problem, nothing can be done. We keep hearing the lie from Republicans that "Democrats do nothing about gun control" but are shown HR 8 and they go into melt down.

Until NRA and gun clinging Republicans are gone, mass shootings will continue. We will be able to do nothing beyond background checks with no teeth. We can not close the gun show loophole because NRA and gun clinging Republicans insist it is enshrined in the Second Amendment. Crossing state lines to buy guns in mass quantities is apparently enshrined in the Second Amendment, too. Until enough people are fed up with the tyranny of the minority, we will have to live with mass shootings.

seb146

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:34 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
40 years ago, these shootings very rarely occurred, tempting to say unheard of, but there possibly a few. Look at society changes for your answer.

GF

High capacity weapons, stronger weapons being introduced into society. IIRC, there was a mass shooting at Luby's and McDonalds and post office warehouses. Fewer died because those types of weapons were not accessible. More regulation. But, we can't have regulation like we had in the 70s and 80s. Everyone has to have access to any guns they want.

That's what has changed.

FTMCPIUS

Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:35 am

seb146 wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Because of the NRA held Republicans in Congress, nothing can be done. As long as a minority of Americans who control Congress refuse to see a problem, nothing can be done. We keep hearing the lie from Republicans that "Democrats do nothing about gun control" but are shown HR 8 and they go into melt down.

Until NRA and gun clinging Republicans are gone, mass shootings will continue. We will be able to do nothing beyond background checks with no teeth. We can not close the gun show loophole because NRA and gun clinging Republicans insist it is enshrined in the Second Amendment. Crossing state lines to buy guns in mass quantities is apparently enshrined in the Second Amendment, too. Until enough people are fed up with the tyranny of the minority, we will have to live with mass shootings.

Seb, it is doubtful Nathaniel Berhow was a gun-clinging Republican, and he probably didn't know what the Second Amendment is. Back up a few posts and read no. 42. You apparently have not done so.

seb146

Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:14 am

FTMCPIUS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:

Seb, it is doubtful Nathaniel Berhow was a gun-clinging Republican, and he probably didn't know what the Second Amendment is. Back up a few posts and read no. 42. You apparently have not done so.

We all have different back grounds that shape our opinions on various topics. Some topics we are more passionate about than others. I grew up in gun toting right wing "Christian" Oregon. The Texas of the West Coast, as it were. I know there are good reasons for owning guns. I can handle a gun and am not scared of them. However, there are some classes of guns we should not have access to. Why should one class of guns be legal in one state but not legal in the neighboring state when it is shown that class of gun is deadly and is outlawed in the neighboring state for legitimate reasons?

At the same time, as a Christian, why should I support a failed "Christian" policy of supporting life for every reason but defending death because they can twist the intent of the Second or even First Amendment to fit their needs? Think about it. These "Christians" who support the Republican party go on and on about how women are not smart or capable enough of making informed decisions of their bodies because they are only women who do not care about life but only these Republican "Christians" care about life when it comes to these mass shootings.

I can not stand for that. I will not stand for that. If you (pl.) think "every life is sacred" then walk the talk. Otherwise, you (pl.) love death. Using a gun for defense and to sustain your family is far different than "s/he needs to die because I am jealous and I don't care who else is murdered!!!!"