BN747
Topic Author

Trump ask the Supreme Court to Block His Tax Returns

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:10 am

Trump Asks Supreme Court To Stop The Release Of His Tax Returns
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-su ... 982efed920

One would think if you are as successful as you loudly broadcast yourself to be, that you'd have no problem releasing your tax returns and certainly not going to this extreme!
SDNY & Congress is after them for good reason.

This case could set precedence for permanent tax return disclosure from this day forward.
..and permit additional murky dealing types to come into power with who knows what dark clouds lurk above and comes with them.

They must rule against any action on this on that front and there is a direct conflict of interest given his two court appointments.

BN747
Last edited by SQ22 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fixed
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

TheZ

Re: trump ask the Supreme Court to Block His Tax Returns

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:28 am

He's really circling the drain now...

MaverickM11

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:52 am

Trump’s lawyers are arguing he’s immune from anything—ie even shooting someone—but back in the real world, what is the constitutional argument for him withholding his returns?
E pur si muove -Galileo

einsteinboricua

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:14 am

It would be interesting to see if the justices abide by the fact that because the House has oversight authority over the president (as specified in the Constitution), anything they request is fair game and constitutionally sound. So far, no lawsuit has been brought over the constitutionality of the law that requires the Secretary of Treasury to hand over materials to the House and it would be a serious breach of separation of powers if justices say that there are conditions to it.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

ltbewr

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:43 am

One reality that Trump fears is that despite the rules of Congressional Committee and Grand Jury testimony and evidence being kept secret, significant parts of his turned over tax returns would leak out and say the truth of his debt, who he owes and would show his net worth far is less than he says. It is no wonder he will fight to the SCOTUS to keep them from being turned over by his accountants or anyone else.

WarRI1

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:44 am

As he wacks away at the Constitution and now involves the USSC. Imagine if this loaded to the Right USSC decides in his favor, the damage it will do to one of our supposedly neutral institutions. The USSC itself. I already have no illusions about this branch of our government, it is already damaged by trump himself and Mitch McConnell and the Republicans. Let us see if they dare to coddle this madman. The man who would be King.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

hashtagconfused

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:25 am

ltbewr wrote:
One reality that Trump fears is that despite the rules of Congressional Committee and Grand Jury testimony and evidence being kept secret, significant parts of his turned over tax returns would leak out and say the truth of his debt, who he owes and would show his net worth far is less than he says. It is no wonder he will fight to the SCOTUS to keep them from being turned over by his accountants or anyone else.

the returns will show a lot of information and provide plenty to talk about but they will not show his net worth nor will they show how much debt he has.

Concierge

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:54 am

hashtagconfused wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

the returns will show a lot of information and provide plenty to talk about but they will not show his net worth nor will they show how much debt he has.

You're probably right. I'm most curious about any foreign sources of income that might be connected to foreign policy decisions. We know he has investments in Russia and Turkey - even saying himself that Trump Tower Istanbul could be a conflict of interest. Losses or gains on investments in those countries are cause for concern.

RyanairGuru

Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:27 am

I have a suspicion that this Supreme Court will find in Trump's favour with a very broad reading of executive privilege.

The odd thing if that was to occur is that it wasn't very long ago that conservative legal scholars were preaching "original intent" against activist judicial rulings. This would be ironic as while the framers of the constitution were silent on due process, they were explicit about having strict separation of powers with checks and balances so that the head of the executive did not become a king-like figure.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

TWA772LR

Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:34 am

Trump clearly lives rent free in your head.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Concierge

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:04 am

TWA772LR wrote:

It's interesting just how quickly this became a cliche.

'Don't take any wooden nickels!' 'We'll just take it one game at a time' and on and on....

Aaron747

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:21 am

[twoid][/twoid]
ltbewr wrote:

Imagine being wealthy yet so insecure you spend gobs of money on a SCOTUS appeal just to hide your true net worth (if that’s even the reason). The mind boggles.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seb146

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:29 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
I have a suspicion that this Supreme Court will find in Trump's favour with a very broad reading of executive privilege.

I don't know. Chief Justice Roberts is a wild card. He rules with the "liberals" sometimes and with the "conservatives" sometimes. He is not beholden to the current occupant. I think either a majority of justices will kick the case back to the lower court, which would mean he would have to hand over his returns, or Roberts would side with the ones who ask to see his returns. Especially if there is compelling evidence why. Like in support of evidence of a crime. People who just want to see his returns to play "gotcha" are not going to win. However, attorneys who are arguing a perfectly valid and legal reason, like accepting bribes or laundering money, that would probably force his returns to be outed.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

bennett123

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:32 am

Wonder what he is trying to hide.

‘Draining the swamp’ is surely about transparency.

tommy1808

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:37 am

seb146 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

I don't know. .

Well, they only judge the previous ruling, and that seems to be a) very narrow (so not much to rule on) and b) pretty bullet proof. The best they can do to allow a very

a very broad reading of executive privilege

would probably be not taking the case. I would think they are not keen on ruling against states rights either.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:06 am

His excuses have been BS but I don't get everyone's obsession with seeing his tax returns. I mean really, we all know it's gonna show he isn't as rich as he says he is, he pays little to no taxes, and gives probably 0 to charity. I'm sure there will even be a small amount of investments in Russia or something, so some people will freak out about that and others will say it's no big deal.

I just don't see anything being accomplished. I don't think he's desperately hiding some nefarious Russia connection, he probably is just super insecure he makes only hundreds millions not billions or something

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:17 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
I'm sure there will even be a small amount of investments in Russia or something, so some people will freak out about that and others will say it's no big deal.

It is not the investment in Russia that would matter. Rather, the implications of what they are tied to. While it is well known that the Russians are more or less the only people willing to do business with this dilettante (and even then, only at rates that would make a pay-day loan blush), what is not fully understood is just how deep he is in with these guys.

There are likely some very serious conflict of interest issues there. During an impeachment already likely to end his career, this would not be a welcome development to come to light.

It would be analogous to the police also finding the proverbial Dead Hooker in a Trunk during a DUI Stop.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

tommy1808

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:22 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
. I don't think he's desperately hiding some nefarious Russia connection,

He got, when he really needed money, a big loan from Deutsche Bank. That loan didn´t come out of the Real Estate Branch, that didn´t want to do anything with him anymore, but out of the DB private Equity branch. the branch that was also at the center of the 20 (to 80) Billion US$ Russian money laundering scandal that happened exactly at that time and was used to - drum roll - buy real estate among other things, and a lot of that money was flowing to NY. We know, from the Trump organisation, that Russian Investors made up a disproportionate share of their customers. ......

What else is different between the Real Estate and Private Equity Branch of Deutsche Bank? They accept private guarantors, i.e. they arrange private to private loans. Loans at Deutsche Bank run under the same credit worthiness rules than the rest of the bank, so Trump could have only gotten that loan with a private guarantor being in play. That person has the ability to kill of Trumps business at any time and hence has total control over him.

Keep in mind that Deutsche Bank employees have been flagging Trumps (and Kushners btw) account activities as potentially illegal for years......

best regards
Thomas

bennett123

Re: Trump ask the Supreme Court to Block His Tax Returns

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:14 am

DeltaMD90

Is he really that insecure about his wealth?

If he got loans based on that wealth, it could be another story.

We could be talking fraud.

tommy1808

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:30 am

bennett123 wrote:
DeltaMD90

Is he really that insecure about his wealth?

If he got loans based on that wealth, it could be another story.

We could be talking fraud.

and we have plenty of reason to think that the value of his property was low when it was time to do taxes, and high when it was time to get a loan..... both are felonies, right?

best regards
Thomas

einsteinboricua

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:40 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:

The odd thing if that was to occur is that it wasn't very long ago that conservative legal scholars were preaching "original intent" against activist judicial rulings. This would be ironic as while the framers of the constitution were silent on due process, they were explicit about having strict separation of powers with checks and balances so that the head of the executive did not become a king-like figure.

If that's the case, then institutions have been corrupted. When it comes to oversight of the executive branch during a formal process for which the House has explicit powers and has decided to exercise, there should be no such thing as executive privilege.

Dutchy

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:23 pm

Is this the same guy who told the American people he would release his tax returns, if only he was allowed to by the IRS? - which he was......

And now we know, what we have known all along, he lies about everything........
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Alias1024

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:14 pm

I can’t believe that I’m about to defend any actions of Trump, but here it comes. I would try to withhold the tax returns if I were in his position too, even if I believed I was completely innocent of any criminal activity.

These requests aren’t just about showing the American people his tax return. There are criminal investigations underway, and his taxes are undoubtedly extremely complex and likely to have at the least unintentional errors. In the same way that talking to a police investigator without an attorney can be dumb even when innocent, nothing good can happen for Trump by having prosecutors examine his taxes.

That said, I believe the legal arguments his attorneys have made to withhold the returns are flimsy. The notion that the President cannot be investigated for actions before taking office is completely refuted by Bill Clinton’s entire presidency.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

extender

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Obsession... Privacy Act of 1974 and IRC 6103 make that information confidential.

seb146

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:04 pm

I wonder if his tax returns would show movement of funds from his "charities" to his own personal bank accounts as well? We already know he misused his "charity" funds and was fined for that.

einsteinboricua

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Alias1024 wrote:
I can’t believe that I’m about to defend any actions of Trump, but here it comes. I would try to withhold the tax returns if I were in his position too, even if I believed I was completely innocent of any criminal activity.

These requests aren’t just about showing the American people his tax return. There are criminal investigations underway, and his taxes are undoubtedly extremely complex and likely to have at the least unintentional errors. In the same way that talking to a police investigator without an attorney can be dumb even when innocent, nothing good can happen for Trump by having prosecutors examine his taxes.

That said, I believe the legal arguments his attorneys have made to withhold the returns are flimsy. The notion that the President cannot be investigated for actions before taking office is completely refuted by Bill Clinton’s entire presidency.

You're gasping at straws. I REALLY doubt a self proclaimed "stable genius" and "successful" businessman would have errors in his tax returns, which the IRS would immediately flag, assuming even a tax advisor failed to catch. If I were a "billionaire" like Trump claims, I'd have tax advisors and attorneys to handle all of that. If there are errors, then it shows poor judgement from my part for hiring people that are not doing their job properly.

Democrats probably are not looking at how much he paid and how many tax breaks he claimed (that's secondary). The main purpose is knowing where his proclaimed wealth is coming from (i.e. his income). If he happened to have lied on his tax returns and the IRS failed to flag it and determines that it's wrong, then that's an issue that will have to be settled in civil court (perjury) but would be irrelevant in the impeachment inquiry.

tommy1808

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:35 pm

extender wrote:
Obsession... Privacy Act of 1974 and IRC 6103 make that information confidential.

Confidential for criminal investigations? Right.....

Best regards
Thomas

einsteinboricua

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:40 pm

extender wrote:

From the description:
The Privacy Act prohibits the disclosure of a record about an individual from a system of records absent the written consent of the individual, unless the disclosure is pursuant to one of twelve statutory exceptions.

The 12 exceptions are:
  1. Need to know within the agency
  2. Required FOIA disclosure
  3. Routine use
  4. Bureau of Census
  5. Statistical research
  6. National Archives
  7. Law Enforcement Request
  8. Health or safety of an individual
  9. Congress
  10. General Accountability Office
  11. Court Order
  12. Debt Collection Act

Regarding Congress, it's defined as

5 U.S.C. § 552a(b)(9) (Congress)

“to either House of Congress, or, to the extent of matter within its jurisdiction, any committee or subcommittee thereof, any joint committee of Congress or subcommittee of any such joint committee

As long as the request is made on behalf of a committee and not an individual congressman, the request is valid.

Sorry, but the Privacy Act will not protect him.

Alias1024

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:57 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
You're gasping at straws. I REALLY doubt a self proclaimed "stable genius" and "successful" businessman would have errors in his tax returns, which the IRS would immediately flag, assuming even a tax advisor failed to catch. If I were a "billionaire" like Trump claims, I'd have tax advisors and attorneys to handle all of that. If there are errors, then it shows poor judgement from my part for hiring people that are not doing their job properly.

Democrats probably are not looking at how much he paid and how many tax breaks he claimed (that's secondary). The main purpose is knowing where his proclaimed wealth is coming from (i.e. his income). If he happened to have lied on his tax returns and the IRS failed to flag it and determines that it's wrong, then that's an issue that will have to be settled in civil court (perjury) but would be irrelevant in the impeachment inquiry.

You missed the point. There’s nothing good that can happen for Trump by having a district attorney conducting a criminal investigation look at his tax returns. Nothing. I think nearly anyone in his position, with a massive and complex return, political enemies, and attorneys on retainer would similarly do everything they could to prevent those returns from being examined.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

ER757

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:09 pm

seb146 wrote:
I wonder if his tax returns would show movement of funds from his "charities" to his own personal bank accounts as well? We already know he misused his "charity" funds and was fined for that.

I doubt that very much - his tax preparer would most assuredly bury such things somehow if they occurred.
Look, we all know he's a fraud already - look at the recent case where he was fined for misusing his "charity" (how this wasn't front page news for days is beyond me), and no one, not even his biggest fanboys, can say his "university" wasn't a scam from day one. But I just don't see that his returns will provide any sort of "smoking gun" that would suddenly convince Republican senators that if the impeachment trial were to happen, they'd vote guilty.

BN747
Topic Author

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:36 pm

ER757 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I doubt that very much - his tax preparer would most assuredly bury such things somehow if they occurred.
Look, we all know he's a fraud already - look at the recent case where he was fined for misusing his "charity" (how this wasn't front page news for days is beyond me), and no one, not even his biggest fanboys, can say his "university" wasn't a scam from day one. But I just don't see that his returns will provide any sort of "smoking gun" that would suddenly convince Republican senators that if the impeachment trial were to happen, they'd vote guilty.

Regardless of what they my or may not disclose, the precedent needed is one to lay down a legal requirement that all presidential candidates must release all past tax documents to be eligible to run.

We can never again allow a shady sketchy businessman (esp. bad businessmen) or anyone of those stripes to run the USA ever again.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

MaverickM11

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

Projecting again dear? This from the guys that brought you “I’m too busy to watch the hearings but I will be tweeting about all the proceedings in minute detail”
E pur si muove -Galileo

TWA772LR

Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:49 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Projecting again dear? This from the guys that brought you “I’m too busy to watch the hearings but I will be tweeting about all the proceedings in minute detail”

Im not commenting on anything except that it seems that the OP clearly has a thing fro Trump when he/she posts about him multiple times a day.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

BN747
Topic Author

Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:56 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Im not commenting on anything except that it seems that the OP clearly has a thing fro Trump when he/she posts about him multiple times a day.

And since that annoys you, go over to the trump Library thread and see your 'thing fro trump' reasoning.

And if you are ...or were a military man, one who honors valor, integrity and the reputation of America, you'll understand every word of it.

BN747

TWA772LR

Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:22 am

BN747 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

And since that annoys you, go over to the trump Library thread and see your 'thing fro trump' reasoning.

And if you are ...or were a military man, one who honors valor, integrity and the reputation of America, you'll understand every word of it.

BN747

Who said a civilian can't honor valor, integrity, and the reputation of America? I'm as ashamed of Trump as the next uy, but I don't let it consume me. Neither does my dad, who did serve, and is a staunch democrat.

BN747
Topic Author

Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:10 am

TWA772LR wrote:
BN747 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

BN747

Who said a civilian can't honor valor, integrity, and the reputation of America? I'm as ashamed of Trump as the next uy, but I don't let it consume me. Neither does my dad, who did serve, and is a staunch democrat.

A civilian who says they 'honor valor, integrity, and the reputation of America' and supports a leader like law breaking fool in the WH, who has no honor, has zero valor and certainly crapping on the hard earned reputation of America is either lying to him/herself or is absolutely clueless as to what those terms mean.

But go ahead, give it your best shot to reconcile those two antithetical points.

BN747

DL717

Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:15 pm

I don’t see anything in the constitution about a Presidents financial status being a requirement to hold office. Maybe I’m missing something other than liberal tears:

“No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.”
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

seb146

Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:04 pm

DL717 wrote:
I don’t see anything in the constitution about a Presidents financial status being a requirement to hold office. Maybe I’m missing something other than liberal tears:

“No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.”

You MAGA fans keep forgetting about the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution. There are two specific ones. One dealing with foreign emoluments, and a second dealing with domestic emoluments. Article 1, section 9, clause 8 deals with foreign, and article 2, section 1, clause 7 deals with domestic.

"No person holding any office of profit or trust under The United Stats shall, without the consent of Congress, accept any present, emolument, office, or title of any kind whatever from any king, prince, or fireign state"

and

"The president shall, at stated times, receive for his services, a compensation which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that period any other emolument from the United States or any of them."

What is an "emolument"? Glad you asked:

emolument n. a salary, fee, or profit from employment or office.

Because he would have to claim income on his taxes, his taxes would show a number of things. Like how much he is still receiving from his companies and how much he is invested in Russia and where his loans came from and who all he is bribing. We already know he bribed a second rate porn star which was paid from his campaign fund, which is illegal. Seeing his tax returns will open up a whole other lot of investigations. I know you MAGA fans will never believe what your own eyes tell you but the rest of us would like to see how deep he is with Putin and the Russian oligarchs.

Aaron747

Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:14 pm

DL717 wrote:

Highly selective - what about the duty of Congress to conduct oversight, or the election last October that asked them to do same?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TWA772LR

Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:15 pm

BN747 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

A civilian who says they 'honor valor, integrity, and the reputation of America' and supports a leader like law breaking fool in the WH, who has no honor, has zero valor and certainly crapping on the hard earned reputation of America is either lying to him/herself or is absolutely clueless as to what those terms mean.

But go ahead, give it your best shot to reconcile those two antithetical points.

BN747

Who said I support Trump?

flyingturtle

Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:54 pm

I'm fairly sure the SCOTUS will not hear this case - because it does not bring up fundamentally new legal questions.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

hashtagconfused

Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:56 pm

would gains on stocks he holds in foreign companies also violate the emolument clause? how about sales of his books or any advances received?

DL717

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:07 pm

Alias1024 wrote:

Actually, they just know this impeachment is a fail so they want to shame people into not voting for the rich guy. I’m still waiting for the left to actually do something, because they haven’t produced anything useful since taking over the House.

DL717

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:08 pm

seb146 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

You MAGA fans keep forgetting about the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution. There are two specific ones. One dealing with foreign emoluments, and a second dealing with domestic emoluments. Article 1, section 9, clause 8 deals with foreign, and article 2, section 1, clause 7 deals with domestic.

"No person holding any office of profit or trust under The United Stats shall, without the consent of Congress, accept any present, emolument, office, or title of any kind whatever from any king, prince, or fireign state"

and

"The president shall, at stated times, receive for his services, a compensation which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that period any other emolument from the United States or any of them."

Because he would have to claim income on his taxes, his taxes would show a number of things. Like how much he is still receiving from his companies and how much he is invested in Russia and where his loans came from and who all he is bribing. We already know he bribed a second rate porn star which was paid from his campaign fund, which is illegal. Seeing his tax returns will open up a whole other lot of investigations. I know you MAGA fans will never believe what your own eyes tell you but the rest of us would like to see how deep he is with Putin and the Russian oligarchs.

I knew it was liberal tears!

DL717

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:11 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Highly selective - what about the duty of Congress to conduct oversight, or the election last October that asked them to do same?[/qoute]

Please, just stop with the tin foil hats already.

RyanairGuru

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:54 pm

DL717 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

and

Liberal tears? Those words are straight out of the constitution, a document that cannot be ignored when it suits one side's political objectives.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Aaron747

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:07 am

DL717 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Highly selective - what about the duty of Congress to conduct oversight, or the election last October that asked them to do same?[/qoute]

Typical WH apologist - #FailedPatriots

seb146

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:25 am

DL717 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

and

So just let the president do what he wants? Like seating a supreme court justice nine months before a presidential election?

DL717

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:41 am

seb146 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

and

So just let the president do what he wants? Like seating a supreme court justice nine months before a presidential election?

More liberal tears.

DL717

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:42 am

Aaron747 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Typical WH apologist - #FailedPatriots

Typical Democrat. #stopcryingoveralostelection