kaitak
Topic Author

US declares Israeli settlements legal

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:49 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... w-n1085146

And of course, it's for the US to decide this?!

Another nail in the coffin of the US's ability to act as an honest broker in relation to the Middle East. It's not as if that coffin needed another nail. The question I would ask is, with this latest move, is there any area of America's ME policy which is out of step with Israel's? Secondly, if there is - how long will it take for that to remain the case? Thirdly, what real world consequences does this decision have? Will the Americans just use this as an excuse to bully any other countries that disagree with this (and they tend to do this already anyway).

Fourthly, how might any future US administration reverse this?

Kushner's much vaunted ME plan seems to have died a death, almost as soon as it was announced. Apart from Israel and the Saudis, does any ME country really want to engage with the US? Other than carrying out Israeli policy, does it have any long term ME plan or vision?

tommy1808

Re: US declares Israeli settlements legal

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:56 am

kaitak wrote:
Fourthly, how might any future US administration reverse this?

While, Realpolitik, not exactly the same as Iran declaring Alaska is Russian, it has the same legal meaning: none.

They don´t need to reverse anything.

But the next president may be able to lift all Orders from Moscow (only shot at having Crimea becoming Russian is making theft legal again) by executive order.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

ltbewr

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:23 pm

Sadly, the need for campaign monies and to get votes, in particular evangelical Christians, anti-Arab and anti-Islamic voters by politicians of both parties, leads to such policies. Most Americans support the existence of Israel. Our media overplays the attacks by Palestinians on Israel and minimizes the acts of Israel.

tommy1808

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:31 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Sadly, the need for campaign monies and to get votes, in particular evangelical Christians, anti-Arab and anti-Islamic voters .

You forgot Anti-Jewish. They "need" Israel to "win", so the temple can be rebuild, Jesus can come back, and kill all the Jews (and all other non-Christians along side them, ~7000 Billion people in total, so don´t hold your breath).

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Mortyman

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Former foreign minister and primeminister and now leader of the Labour party in Norway:

einsteinboricua

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:32 pm

I'm still waiting for Jared's wonderful peace plan. After all, if he can't do it, nobody can. I don't know how these developments make it easier, but we're in Trump world where left is right, right is left, right is wrong, and wrong is right.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

casinterest

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:38 pm

This doesn't do anything but just put a arbitrary status on what already exists. Either way negotiations still need to occur to get to a two state system, and the PA can't get their act together in regards to negotiating with Israel.

At this point their are Palestinian/Arab communities in Israel , and Israeli communities in the west bank. What it all points to is a single state solution, which would seemingly be the end result 100 years from now.

In the short term though it could lead to more violence as I am sure Israel under Netanyahu will continue to establish new settlements which will keep the cycle going much as it has the last 50 years.
Where ever you go, there you are.

MaverickM11

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:04 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I'm still waiting for Jared's wonderful peace plan. After all, if he can't do it, nobody can. I don't know how these developments make it easier, but we're in Trump world where left is right, right is left, right is wrong, and wrong is right.

Right after he fixes the opioid crisis
E pur si muove -Galileo

Pyrex

Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:46 pm

What next, are they going to claim the Poles living in Lower Silesia are doing so legally? Oh, wait...
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

seb146

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:16 am

The Israeli government will be wondering why Palestinians are throwing rocks and Molotov cocktails at them when they move to build more settlements on Palestinian lands. Israel will be playing the victim and demanding everyone who dares criticize them are antisemitic.

Let's be clear once again: There is nothing antisemitic about criticizing a government.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

olle

Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:10 pm

Israel is now going for a onestate solution.

My opinion is that this will be considered as a huge misstake

sonicruiser

Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:15 am

olle wrote:

That is the geopolitical understatement of the century

olle

Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:46 am

sonicruiser wrote:
olle wrote:

That is the geopolitical understatement of the century

But probably pretty god for the Palestinian population ;-)

They will enter a country with resources and with public voting it can steer resources and investments their way. Let see what the jewish population thinks about that ;-)