Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Trump issues pardons in war crimes cases, despite Pentagon opposition to the move

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:43 pm

War crimes, concentration camps, and white nationalism: GOP values 2019

"The service members were notified by Trump over the phone late Friday afternoon, according to lawyers for Army Maj. Mathew L. Golsteyn and former Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher, the SEAL. Golsteyn faced a murder trial scheduled for next year, while Gallagher recently was acquitted of murder and convicted of posing with the corpse of an Islamic State fighter in Iraq.

The third service member, former Army 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, was expected to be released Friday night from prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. He was convicted of second-degree murder in 2013 and sentenced to 19 years for ordering his soldiers to open fire on three men in Afghanistan."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... tion-move/
I don't take responsibility at all

Dutchy

Re: Trump issues pardons in war crimes cases, despite Pentagon opposition to the move

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:54 pm

No surprise there, Trump suggested killing family members of suspected terrorists during the last Presidential campaign or he suggested that asylum seekers should be shot if they tried to cross the border. And you should take Trump really seriously when he says something like that, take him very literally.

So indeed no surprise when he pardons suspected war criminals............
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

SanDiegoLover

Re: Trump issues pardons in war crimes cases, despite Pentagon opposition to the move

Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:20 pm

This move just undermines America’s credibility around the world that we will hold our soldiers to account if they don’t live up to our code of conduct and laws of engagement. It will only make it harder to deploy anywhere around the world without now being accountable to The Hague.
https://thehill.com/opinion/national-se ... rave-error

winginit

Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:23 pm

A Commander in Chief undermining the entirety of the Uniform Code of Military Justice - absolutely disgraceful. And apparently now our President thinks he gets to decide who is and who isn't a Navy Seal?

All this from a draft dodger. Pathetic.

casinterest

Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:29 pm

A good article in the Military Times. Many details and points on both sides are good. Lincoln for instance pardoned hundreds of soldiers. Soldiers will not change their adherence to the rules on the off chance the CIC will pardon them in the indefinite future.
The one scary comment comes below.
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your ... -play-out/

The atmosphere shifted when all leaders, from then-President Barack Obama down to the company commanders, instituted the policy shift.

“They knew that homophobia and hazing wouldn’t be tolerated and I saw the mindset of the force change within a matter of months,” Duggins added. “That’s a testament to leadership. Now imagine what the lack of leadership from President Trump regarding war crimes says to our troops especially when you take into account his previous statements about killing terrorists’ families.”
Where ever you go, there you are.

Tugger

Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:48 pm

winginit wrote:
A Commander in Chief undermining the entirety of the Uniform Code of Military Justice - absolutely disgraceful. And apparently now our President thinks he gets to decide who is and who isn't a Navy Seal?

It will be interesting when Gallagher is removed as a SEAL to see what Trump does. He and others that did similar actions bring dishonor to the Trident.
But Trump does not care about honor and upholding the values of the military.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

MSPNWA

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:05 pm

"Pentagon opposition" - means it's likely a good thing. Good for Trump to oppose the Pentagon. Those with TDS won't get it.

winginit

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:30 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
"Pentagon opposition" - means it's likely a good thing. Good for Trump to oppose the Pentagon. Those with TDS won't get it.

Your statement shows a complete ignorance of the crimes that were committed. Two of these three men were and are murderers, and were convicted as such by military tribunals with the backing of their peers, leadership, and subordinates. For the President to pardon them and completely undermine the military justice system is disgraceful.

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:41 pm

presidential pardons are supposed to reduce cruelty. Trump rewarding cruelty. He just doesn't have a moral compass. We need to vote him out.

MSPNWA

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:51 pm

winginit wrote:
Your statement shows a complete ignorance of the crimes that were committed. Two of these three men were and are murderers, and were convicted as such by military tribunals with the backing of their peers, leadership, and subordinates. For the President to pardon them and completely undermine the military justice system is disgraceful.

Your statement shows the mistake of assuming that what they did was deserving of punishment. Your assuming that the military "justice" system is 100% just. Your mind is already closed to other options. Open it up. It's very liberating not to have to march along party orders. Considering that the people telling me it's a terrible move are proven liars that do not have the country's best interest in mind, it would be incredibly ignorant of me to believe them. Try again with logic.

Good move for Trump. Ever more reason to re-elect.

winginit

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:58 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
It's very liberating not to have to march along party orders.

The very essence of the military is marching along to orders - these men violated those orders, the military code of conduct, and the rules of law - and were punished accordingly. For the President, one with no military experience or expertise (and in fact one who intentionally dodged military service like a coward), to undermine the entire military justice system is a travesty and reinforces his incompetence.

But continue dancing right along with the racist bigot in office. Dance Trumpy! Dance for your master!

wingman

Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:54 pm

I gotta stand with MSP on this one. When I have to choose between two institutions the one that will defend my country and adhere to a strict code of legal conduct while doing so, I go with Bone Spurs over the United States Military every time. Russia storms the Baltic states..who you gonna call, the Marines? The Navy? Hell no, you call Bone Spurs. That dude would tweet Putin a new asshole inside of 40 characters!

SheikhDjibouti

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:22 am

MSPNWA wrote:
Says the man who is..... marching along to party orders. :banghead:

MSPNWA wrote:
Your statement shows the mistake of assuming that what they did was deserving of punishment. Your assuming that the military "justice" system is 100% just.
Not me! Like any system it makes occasional mistakes. Pray tell us what is Trump's "system"? :scratchchin:

I'm more prepared to accept the findings of the supremely qualified military justice system (no speech marks required), in preference to the inane ramblings of a dementia queen.

I have no doubt that all these guys had a fair & considered trial (or are you going to dispute that? :roll: ), whilst being represented by sharp legal minds. Due process was followed. This process took weeks, possibly months.
And then along came the Great Orange one, and with one single stroke of his sharpie, he re-wrote history. Are you sure he didn't just think he was selecting his breakfast menu?
MSPNWA wrote:
Your assuming that the military "justice" system is 100% just.
And you're assuming that Trump's "justice" system is 100% not about him.

He wouldn't know "justice" if he trod in it.
Credit; snopes.com [Factcheck = true.]

Good move for Trump. Ever more reason to re-elect. impeach
Nothing to see here; move along please.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:28 am

MSPNWA wrote:
winginit wrote:

Your statement shows the mistake of assuming that what they did was deserving of punishment. Your assuming that the military "justice" system is 100% just. Your mind is already closed to other options. Open it up. It's very liberating not to have to march along party orders. Considering that the people telling me it's a terrible move are proven liars that do not have the country's best interest in mind, it would be incredibly ignorant of me to believe them. Try again with logic.

Good move for Trump. Ever more reason to re-elect.

Do you have any citation to support your argument or are you just another trump supporter that gets off on murdering minorities? Bet I can guess. 99% certain your argument is limited to the conviction that murdering Arabs is always ok for our "killing machine" boys.

ltbewr

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:50 am

Part of Trump's reasons for these pardons is to appease part of his base that is anti-Muslim, anti-terrorist absolutists, believe cruelty is ok to scare our enemies and to acknowledge the 'fog of war' a bit too much.

alfa164

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:53 am

winginit wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

You could have just written "Your statement shows complete ignorance", and it would have been equally factual.

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

seb146

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:44 am

What is the point of the Uniform Code Of Military Justice if MAGA fans and their leader are just going to ignore it? Congratulations! You just made life worse for soldiers in the Middle East! Good job MAGA fans!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

tommy1808

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:50 am

winginit wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

Your statement shows a complete ignorance of the crimes that were committed. Two of these three men were and are murderers,.

Our lesson of a Government lettings soldiers commit crimes without punishment was to put a clause into the constitution that allows us to kill those that try to do it again. Basically a 2nd Amendement that makes sense... MSPNWA seems to need some history lessons to understand what he is promoting. Makes sense total sense that world ending ballistic missile submarines are called by his generations name.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

olle

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 am

Nurnberg said something else.

tommy1808

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:48 am

olle wrote:
Nurnberg said something else.

fun case of "Do as i say, not as i do".

best regards
Thomas

Kiwirob

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:51 am

Tugger wrote:
winginit wrote:

It will be interesting when Gallagher is removed as a SEAL to see what Trump does. He and others that did similar actions bring dishonor to the Trident.

Tugg

That easy once Trump is gone they can take it away again.

Under a new administration/President could these criminals be retired and convicted again?

tommy1808

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:54 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Under a new administration/President could these criminals be retired and convicted again?

quite difficult to try someone twice for the same crime in the US, but if someone has been pardoned it may be possible:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

best regards
Thomas

winginit

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Tugger wrote:
winginit wrote:

Tugg

Appears as though the Navy is simply ignoring Trump's tweet on the grounds of maintaining the integrity of the organization. Good for them. The allegiance of the U.S. Military, while to both the US Constitution and President of the United States, is first and foremost to the Constitution.

DeltaConnection

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:34 pm

Considering anyone who has served after the Korean War is a war criminal, any military pardon is pardoning a war criminal.

winginit

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:44 pm

DeltaConnection wrote:
Considering anyone who has served after the Korean War is a war criminal, any military pardon is pardoning a war criminal.

Excuse me? Are you calling anyone who has served in the US military after 1953 a war criminal?

If so, you should strongly reconsider that statement. There's a lot of ignorance in this thread but that would be peak.

N757ST

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:45 pm

DeltaConnection wrote:

All police are terrorists and all soldiers are criminals. You are on a roll, keep going pal. Hope you never need a cop or a soldier.

N757ST

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:47 pm

winginit wrote:
DeltaConnection wrote:

Excuse me? Are you calling anyone who has served in the US military after 1953 a war criminal?

If so, you should strongly reconsider that statement. There's a lot of ignorance in this thread but that would be peak.

Said poster eluded in a now deleted thread that all police are domestic terrorists and that police at every governmental level should be disbanded. Hes a bit off kilter.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:48 pm

winginit wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Appears as though the Navy is simply ignoring Trump's tweet on the grounds of maintaining the integrity of the organization. Good for them. The allegiance of the U.S. Military, while to both the US Constitution and President of the United States, is first and foremost to the Constitution.

GOP: Support the troops!
Also GOP: not the black ones though. Or the Jewish ones. Or the ones with purple hearts. Just the white ones that murder innocent civilians.

Tugger

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:50 pm

winginit wrote:
DeltaConnection wrote:

My guess is he is clumsily trying to note the fact that the Korean War was the last "officially declared war". Everything after that wasn't "declared" and officially not recognized under the Geneva Conventions with rules of war etc.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:40 pm

divide and conquer Trump's and Putin's playbook. Trump administration's sole purpose is to drag down our government institutions by peddling conspiracy theories or doing controversial pardons, so we will mistrust our government. It's his MO to get voters not to trust different branches of our government. CIA, Pentagon, Career Ambassadors any institution that's in his way. He does not listen to career professionals who are there to advise him. No, he listens to dirty tricksters such as Roger Stone, Rudi Guliani, and 6 people convicted in what he calls a witch hunt. You stupid Trump supports. wake up. He has surrounded himself with felons and dodgy figures one doesn't do that unless they have dirty hands as well.

bhill

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:50 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

quite difficult to try someone twice for the same crime in the US, but if someone has been pardoned it may be possible:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

best regards
Thomas

Of course it is possible, all any of these members have do do is BARLEY step out of line...haircut not right, uniform has gigs...count on it, these members will be under a microscope even a recruit in BCT was never under. Their respective Commands know ALL about "I've got somethin fo' ya..."
Carpe Pices

einsteinboricua

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:39 pm

Nothing says "pro-military" like subverting the very system of rules and integrity that all branches of the military have upheld for decades and expect their members to abide by.

But what would a draft dodger know of honor, order, and integrity in the first place?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

scbriml

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:49 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
Your statement shows the mistake of assuming that what they did was deserving of punishment. Your assuming that the military "justice" system is 100% just. Your mind is already closed to other options.

Pot, kettle, black. On what basis are you assuming convicted criminals are innocent?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

uadc8contrail

Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:22 am

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... iqAo1AU-&s

44 pardons this guy and not a word....
Bus Driver

seb146

Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:01 am

uadc8contrail wrote:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWcsMXtjxZmSVJECuiJlxEAvIlmvmgMnfcfA4TemAdiqAo1AU-&s

44 pardons this guy and not a word....

Remind us how many she murdered because?

Tugger

Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:50 am

Basically Gallagher is kinda pathetic and needs to hide behind the skirts of someone else. He can't face the music, he;s lost the faith and confidence of his command. And to need I remind people, this is the same command that got Bin Laden. And though a different command, Delta Force, under the Air Force, the same UCMJ and command process is in place.

Gallagher may have been a SEAL but now he's just weak, needing others to fight his battles. No honor.

Tugg

dmg626

Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:44 am

Thank you president trump for helping these soldiers. War is terrible, having lawyers dictate battle actions is beyond insane. Military generals and admirals are all political and forget their mission should be to back their troops first over worrying about political correctness

tommy1808

Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:51 am

dmg626 wrote:
Thank you president trump for helping these soldiers. War is terrible, having lawyers dictate battle actions is beyond insane. Military generals and admirals are all political and forget their mission should be to back their troops first over worrying about political correctness

Yeah, let's commander's in the fiel order their troops to execute unarmed people. ...

Best regards
Thomas

scbriml

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:58 am

dmg626 wrote:

So you think the US military should just be able to go around and kill who the hell they like with no consequences? This makes the military better than Al-Q, the taliban and ISIS how exactly? Interesting concept.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

dmg626

Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:36 pm

scbriml wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

So you think the US military should just be able to go around and kill who the hell they like with no consequences? This makes the military better than Al-Q, the taliban and ISIS how exactly? Interesting concept.

No, it’s war though, split second decisions have to be made, obviously not always correct but soldiers have to know that they can do their job and be backed by their superiors, not screwed over

alfa164

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:02 pm

dmg626 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

No, it’s war though, split second decisions have to be made, obviously not always correct but soldiers have to know that they can do their job and be backed by their superiors, not screwed over

So... you think murdering a prisoner already in custody was a "split second decision" that was a part of "do(ing) their job"? You think taking a vanity photo of a corpse was a "split second decision" that was a part of "do(ing) their job"?

You certainly have a jaundiced view of what a soldier's job is...

:roll:

And if you think "Military generals and admirals are all political", you obviously know little about the military. In fact, their mission is not to "back their troops"; their mission is to win the war and to carry on the battle in the name of and under the principles of the Unites States of America.
Last edited by alfa164 on Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

dmg626

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:05 pm

alfa164 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

So... you think murdering a prisoner already in custody was a "split second decision" that was a part of "do(ing) their job"? You think taking a vanity photo of a corpse was a "split second decision" that was a part of "do(ing) their job"?

You certainly have a jaundiced view of what a soldier's job is...

:roll:

Ya such atrocity’s, especially the photo

scbriml

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:19 pm

dmg626 wrote:

Even if it is war, there are still rules that need to be followed. It's those rules that are supposed to separate a 'first World military' from the aforementioned terrorist organisations. Otherwise, we're no better than them.

SanDiegoLover

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:18 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Yeah, let's commander's in the fiel order their troops to execute unarmed people. ...

Best regards
Thomas

Slaughtering an unarmed child/teen, with a HUNTING KNIFE, and then posing with the corpse for a photo.

Not t mention he had been launching rockets into populated areas with no combatants. He kept shooting non combatants so much that his SEAL team members altered his weapon so he would miss.

Gallagher also made several death threats against those that turned him in or testified against him.

But because his murderous insanity was against Brown Muslims, Trump supporters are all for it. That’s the only reason they love this guy, is because of their Islamic hate. There is no doubt about that.

seb146

Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:19 am

I want to hear from just the MAGA fans why they think a man who skipped military service knows so much more about the military than an entire building filled with people who have served?

THS214

Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:54 am

dmg626 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Non of these three cases were anywhere close to a split second decisions.

SanDiegoLover

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:02 am

seb146 wrote:
I want to hear from just the MAGA fans why they think a man who skipped military service knows so much more about the military than an entire building filled with people who have served?

It’s the mind of Trumpanzees. They are ruled by fear and use black or white reasoning. Islam is evil, and all means to eradicate them are needed, not pussy liberals that dither. They fear change. They fear the unfamiliar. They have a pathology that drives them. They are mentally unwell. Why do you think they are armed?

https://slate.com/technology/2017/11/wh ... -lies.html

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... -attitudes

https://medium.com/predict/conservative ... 43153bd783

https://www.businessinsider.com/psychol ... als-2018-2

https://psmag.com/social-justice/white- ... ntly-59293

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:20 am

winginit wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

The very essence of the military is marching along to orders - these men violated those orders, the military code of conduct, and the rules of law - and were punished accordingly. For the President, one with no military experience or expertise (and in fact one who intentionally dodged military service like a coward), to undermine the entire military justice system is a travesty and reinforces his incompetence.

But continue dancing right along with the racist bigot in office. Dance Trumpy! Dance for your master!

It’s not like Obama didn’t do the exact same thing over Bowe Bergdahl. Oh, wait, he did.

Point being, untutored Presidents should keep out of military proceedings until the appropriate time. Let the case ripen.

casinterest

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:24 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
winginit wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

It’s not like Obama didn’t do the exact same thing over Bowe Bergdahl. Oh, wait, he did.

Oh wait. No he didn't.

Bergdahl was brought back to the US to stand Trial, but i guess we can all rest assured that Trump will let him go.
Where ever you go, there you are.

WarRI1

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:41 am

https://www.davegranlund.com/cartoons/2 ... emolition/

It could not be said better or shown
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.